Menu

Argh... Help me pick a gift

Farrar

My step-sister graduates law school this coming weekend and dh and I want to give her something nice. She's young and doesn't want to be stuck with furniture or other large items (which is the opposite of me - I asked for antique furniture for my high school graduation gift). And she's taking up a nice job so giving money, like we did for her brother when he graduated college a couple of years ago, doesn't seem quite it.

Since she's moving here and both she and we appreciate theater, we decided to get her a set of theater tickets she can use whenever at the respected but out there theater. But I'd like to give her something physical for when we see her at her party. But I have no idea what! Any thoughts?

When a family member graduated law school I narrowed it down to one of these:

Engraved clock for new office (she also already had a job),

Set of nice leather bound volumes for her office (pick based on what you know about her, law books, classic lit, set of nature prints bound???)

Leather portfolio (nowadays if you know she uses a ipad or the like, maybe a nice leather cover for that)

Engraved business card holder (maybe out of date now, but depends on type of law she does probably)

You get the idea...

A Coach briefcase or attache case?

I like this - as long as no one else is already getting her one (or she hasn't gotten one herself). Perhaps a gift certificate to Coach or another good place for cases/bags. Or offer to have her degree professionally framed (I did this for hubby one Christmas - his law degree was still in a manila envelope!)

When I was a new lawyer, I bought myself a crystal candy dish and bags of Jelly Belly jelly beans so people would come into my office for jelly beans and I could get to know them. It worked, and I made many friends before I had to stop supplying the firm with jelly bean$.

I also had a nice crystal clock for my desk. If there is a nice desk accessory with her law school and graduation year engraved on it, that would probably be appreciated as well and would not look out of place at any firm.

I like the idea of jewelry or a candy dish - that's different.

I guess I worry about getting her a briefcase. I feel like someone else may have done so, though I know her parents didn't.

She's young and cool. I feel like I want to get a young and cool gift and the more I think about it the more I feel old and terminally unhip. :tongue_smilie:

She's young and cool. I feel like I want to get a young and cool gift and the more I think about it the more I feel old and terminally unhip. :tongue_smilie:

That's how I feel, too! My young and cool niece will graduate law school 2 years from now and I'll be in that position.

I love the Tiffany's bracelet idea, but doubt that will be in my budget!

Candy dish idea is great! And good for her for having a nice job already! The market is terrible.

I bought my group of fellow law school survivors a watercolor print of our school done by a local artist and a large bottle of booze. :)

Briefcase--I would leave that for her to choose. My favorite is (was? it's dusty!) red patent but I wouldn't use that in a formal area of practice.