Menu

Help with a family shoe issue, please!

Moxie

We just moved into a new house. There is a large foyer with a closet by the front door. The problem is that we use the garage door 99% of the time. The garage door opens into a hallway that leads to the rest of the house. Right now, we walk in the door and kick our shoes off in the hall. Annoying. In my dreams, I live closer to an Ikea so I could have a Stall cabinet http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/80169561/ in the hall. Since we don't, what else can I do? We've tried the cheap shoe cubbies from Target in the past and it didn't work; no one used them. Other shoe holding ideas for a narrow hallway?

Haunt Goodwill and thrift stores. We have a narrow 6 foot tall, shallow wardrobe with shelves right by the front door for shoes. It has a pretty small footprint. I got it at an "antique" shop for cheap. It replaced the large basket I used to have out. Imho, shelves are much better because tossing shoes in a basket tends to wear them out faster.

We have a very narrow entrance hall (that word is really too glorified for what we have). I made a long low shoe rack myself, out of pine - it has 2 shelves for shoes, then a top that we often use to store things that will be heading out the door with us (eg a book or toy that needs to be returned to a friend). The rack is only as high as my knee, so does not obstruct the hallway if I am entering carrying shopping bags.