Menu

Managing Stress

I need some help RELAXING. I'm in the midst of an immensely stressful situation in my personal life, and I need help managing my stress levels AND getting decent sleep. The last few nights I've been falling asleep late and waking before the crack of dawn. This is NOT helpful to my overall mood.

Sugar makes me feel better (she says as she munches on a Kit-Kat), but I'm trying to lose weight, so that really can't be an everyday thing.

So, I need non-habit forming help to:

(1) get more and better quality sleep

(2) manage the fear and other difficult emotions that crop up when the stress-causer throws a new curveball at my head (and no, it's not my DH or anyone else in my family)

(3) manage my overall mood (basically, not sink into depression over this)

What kinds of inexpensive, self-help things can I do? Therapy is not an option. I have no money and there are no free/cheap clinics here. I've never taken sleeping pills, but I'm wary of them. My wariness may be unfounded. Oh, and going to the doctor for a prescription isn't an option. Can't afford it, no insurance. I'm left to my own devices to figure this thing out.

p.s. It's crazy, but that Kit Kat seriously helped. I'm feeling a LOT better at the moment, almost back to normal.

Exercise and eat well (says this hypocrite).

Seriously though, sugar usually doesn't have the most stabilizing effect on mood, so I wonder if your blood sugar is low? I could be totally off, but that is what stands out to me.

Exercise will help you sleep better. Go hiking or swimming or to the gym. Garden, get outside and get some sun. Turn off the screens.

Good luck. I'm going to sit here and eat Thin Mints and surf FB to deal with my stress. ;) it isn't working though!

Start the day with a high-protein breakfast and eat healthily every few hours.

Exercise high-intensity in the day and maybe some yoga in the evening. Also a warm bath and soothing evening routine.

Keep a journal of your stresses, so that you can release them someplace. Just writing them down helps get the thoughts from windmilling in my head all night.

Start the day with a high-protein breakfast and eat healthily every few hours.

Exercise high-intensity in the day and maybe some yoga in the evening. Also a warm bath and soothing evening routine.

Keep a journal of your stresses, so that you can release them someplace. Just writing them down helps get the thoughts from windmilling in my head all night.

I agree with all of this. I sleep better when I exercise. When I am really stressed, then about an hour before bed I take a hot bath with candles and read a book. I sometimes take Benadryl to help me sleep (that is what is in almost all OTC sleep meds like Tylenol PM, etc).

We have a hammock under a tree in our backyard. This afternoon I took a couple hours of hammock and a short nap. That helped. Seriously, I become a total, irredeemable whack-job when I don't get enough sleep. It affects me more than anything else, I think. So, if I can just figure out how to sleep through the night, things might seem more manageable. Has anyone used Benadryl or Tylenol PM to help you sleep?

Also, our mattress is about 20 years old so you can imagine how super-comfy it ISN'T. And younger DD visits me at the crack of dawn every morning to snuggle. And for awhile the kitten would curl up on my HEAD to sleep. I swear I'm like a human pillow to people (and cats). Speaking of cats, petting the kitten also helped immensely.

This was kind of rambly. Thanks for the suggestions so far. I appreciate it. :)

Last year I realized I wasn't handling stress well and dragged out a bike I bought 20 years ago. I started riding on a trail - one that used to be a railroad track. I found that I LOVE it. I'm not killing myself- I ride at a leisurely 10 mph pace, I'm totally enjoying my alone time, and I sleep much better at night.

Biking might not be your 'thing' but I truly hope you can find your stress reliever. I can't emphasize enough how much of a difference cycling has made. If you want to take up a new exercise hobby, Craig's list is often a cheap place to find good used equipment.

Kit Kats are good but I love Twix even more...good stuff!!

Exercise (yoga on hulu even), journaling, meditation, eating well, making a scheduled time for yourself etc.

Consider taking melatonin at night to help you get to sleep. It is non-habit forming and inexpensive IME.

Sugar makes you feel better (immediately) and worse (later when you crash.)

I agree about exercise and eating right. Finding a prayer or mantra to repeat is helpful too. My favorite Grandpa always used to say that worry is the most useless emotion because it does no good; either find something you can do and do it or repeat a mantra about releasing control.

Now, I am about to write out my very first ever "don't quote because I might delete later" statement on these boards. :tongue_smilie: I have loved and recommended Candlelight Yoga many times here. It was probably the number one most helpful thing I did when I was under an extraordinary amount if stress a few years ago. Recently, DH was under an enormous amount of stress (like crazy stressed out, not eating, not sleeping) and I made him do it one night before bed. I demanded it. LOL It was transformative. After that first time, he did it on his own many times and it always helped. Now, I don't now how well I can convey how super-duper NOT a yoga guy my DH is :lol:, but let me tell you, it was a big deal for him to try this, but he is so glad he did. Anyway, I originally did it through Netflix instant streaming, but I don't know if it is still there. Maybe your library has it. Amazon has it cheap, DVD or instant. http://www.amazon.com/Crunch-Candlelight-Yoga-Sara-Ivanhoe/dp/B00006FMB2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1367456451&sr=8-1&keywords=Candlelight+yoga

:grouphug: This too shall pass!

Seriously, I become a total, irredeemable whack-job when I don't get enough sleep. It affects me more than anything else, I think. So, if I can just figure out how to sleep through the night, things might seem more manageable.

OK, this is going to sound counterintuitive and polar opposite from my previous yoga before bed suggestion (and probably just plain dumb), but the best thing that helped me actually get to sleep when I turned insomniac during the aforementioned stressful period was doing exactly what everyone says not to do. I watched TV. Without background chatter, my brain kept going right back to what was filling me with worry, and it would paralyze me, just completely overwhelm me. As soon as my mind went to that place, you could automatically add another 1-2 hours to my wake time. So I filled my brain with TV until the very last minute I was awake.

Another big help was sitcoms and funny movies. I watched the funniest stuff I could find and it did improve my mood.

I need some help RELAXING. I'm in the midst of an immensely stressful situation in my personal life, and I need help managing my stress levels AND getting decent sleep. The last few nights I've been falling asleep late and waking before the crack of dawn. This is NOT helpful to my overall mood.

Sugar makes me feel better (she says as she munches on a Kit-Kat), but I'm trying to lose weight, so that really can't be an everyday thing.

So, I need non-habit forming help to:

(1) get more and better quality sleep

(2) manage the fear and other difficult emotions that crop up when the stress-causer throws a new curveball at my head (and no, it's not my DH or anyone else in my family)

(3) manage my overall mood (basically, not sink into depression over this)

What kinds of inexpensive, self-help things can I do? Therapy is not an option. I have no money and there are no free/cheap clinics here. I've never taken sleeping pills, but I'm wary of them. My wariness may be unfounded. Oh, and going to the doctor for a prescription isn't an option. Can't afford it, no insurance. I'm left to my own devices to figure this thing out.

p.s. It's crazy, but that Kit Kat seriously helped. I'm feeling a LOT better at the moment, almost back to normal.

:grouphug: I've btdt. I wish I'd known then, stress has a similar effect upon the brain as depression - there are things that help. In order to help sleep - you need to reduce the chemical effects of the stress/anxiety on you. that is possible - even if you can't currently fix the source of the stress.

#1 for me - a SUPER good b-complex. I've tried many many things (including things people swore would be better than the cheap b-complex I had been taking), and my favorite (because it is the molecular form your body uses and your liver doesn't have to convert them and dump things in your system for your kidneys to clean up) is emerald laboratories b-healthy. there are others that are similar, - but the thing to absolutely remember when looking at a supplement/vitamin, it needs to be the molecular form your body uses. if any supplement doesn't list the molecular form - it's cheap and don't bother with it. many supplements use forms that must be converted by the body before they can be used. a body under stress is less efficient at converting.

sugar feeds yeast - and eating sugar makes yeast happy. that actually exaccerbates the stress because yeast will cause you stress the next time it wants a snack. long-term, your body does better with a reduced amount of yeast. (and of course, your hips are happy with a reduced amount of sugar.) when you have a sugar craving, eat some greek yogurt instead. (it doesn't have a ton of added sugar like MOST commercial yogurt.). same thing with self-medicating with chocolate. your body will just want more and more.

a regular yoga practice will reduce your cortisol levels (cortisol is a stress hormone, and tells your body to *conserve* fat) and your blood pressure. there are many routines on youtube - just find one you like. try dvds from your library. I have one 50 minute practice I've been doing consistently 4x a week since january, and I feel better than when I saw a chiropractor every week. (much cheaper too. :) ) an evening routine can help improve your sleep. a regular brisk walk can help with sleep.

the only drug I've taken to "ostensibly" help sleep is diphenhydramine. It is an antihistamine - and since I also have allergies, it helps there too. the drawback is I wake up after about six hours.

last fall with menopause hormones kicking in - I started taking relora. it's a chinese herbal remedy. it really helped me not be a crazy lady. I felt like "myself".

Some things my sons Naturopath has recommended, available fairly inexpensively from any health food store - I buy off amazon:

GABA - reduces stress/anxiety,

theanine - reduce stress/anxiety

tryptophan will boost serotonin levels (improves mood), and melaotnin levels (helps sleep.). I've been taking 5htp which is one thing produced from the tryptophan (I had to double the dose to see improvement, and I plan on switching out to tryptophan because it helps in more areas.)

Another big help was sitcoms and funny movies. I watched the funniest stuff I could find and it did improve my mood.

Laughter is the best medicine :D

eta: I just want to add, there was a point the stress was so bad - nothing was funny. if it's that bad, you need something that will change your brain chemistry.

:) Not LDS, but I don't drink due to my family history of drunks (both the "wet" and "dry" varieties). Alcohol freaks me out.

my grandmother was the same. lots of male alcoholics in their families. she allowed my grandfather one bottle of apricot brandy for christmas. that was the only alcohol he got for the entire year. he made it last.

OK, this is going to sound counterintuitive and polar opposite from my previous yoga before bed suggestion (and probably just plain dumb), but the best thing that helped me actually get to sleep when I turned insomniac during the aforementioned stressful period was doing exactly what everyone says not to do. I watched TV. Without background chatter, my brain kept going right back to what was filling me with worry, and it would paralyze me, just completely overwhelm me. As soon as my mind went to that place, you could automatically add another 1-2 hours to my wake time. So I filled my brain with TV until the very last minute I was awake.

I do this, not tv, but audio books when the stress becomes to much. I focus so on listening (I turn down the volume low) that the thoughts don't enter my brain :)

Another favourite is to decide on a day dream. Sounds weird, but, I find that if I decide that now I am going to focus on day dreaming about something pleasant (a family vacation when we have TONNES of money for example :D) and everytime my brain goes off to the stress inducer I pull it back to the good day dream. Takes some practice but now it really works for me.

Otherwise I second (or forteenth or whatever) everything that has been said.