Menu

Kids and their electronics in public

Haiku

It's all about mindful parenting really. Find the balance that works for your family. I hated what I was seeing in my son and it was very hard to get him to use moderation. He was GROUCHY. I am glad that it's over. Interestingly, because of this thread I asked him today whether he might someday buy a game system for his future kids and he said, "Probably not."

:iagree:

That is very true, and I think that's what a lot of us are saying. What works for one family may not work for another. I certainly wouldn't let my ds use gaming systems or electronic devices if I felt he was showing any kind of addictive behavior, and I think it's important for parents to watch for signs of a problem (with any activity, really,) and nip it in the bud as quickly as possible before it becomes a major issue, just as you did with your son.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is just not kids either. I used to get together with a group of ladies for coffee and chatting. I finally quit going because so many were too busy checking facebook, texting or browsing the internet on their phones. Or we were constantly interrupted by someone answering their phone having ho-hum, lame conversations with others about nothing.

I do have to say that I think I'm one of the unlucky ones in restaurants. In the past month we went out 2 times. Both times we were seated next to a family with one child. The first place was a pizza place and it was a very small family owned place. The little girl (probably 3-4) started asking for the iPad the minute they sat down. It seemed like it was a Gramma, a Mom, and a daughter. The olders were ignoring her. Finally she yelled, "I want to play my game!!!!" and the Mom handed the iPad to her. It was on full volume. Seriously. It was so loud that I could not hear Melissa talking to me. I was too chicken to say anything so I got up and asked if we could move across the room to another table. We did and you could STILL hear it. The manager eventually went over and asked her to turn it down. THe mom was NOT pleased and said, "Seriously?? She's just a kid". He told her that it was disturbing customers and he wasn't asking her to turn it off, but turn it down". She was huffy but she did.

Second time we were at Chili's. A couple with a young son was seated directly behind us. It was so loud that everyone in the area was looking at them but not saying a word. It was Angry Birds. The Mom and Dad were actually yelling over it trying to talk but didn't ask him to turn it down. He was 3 or under. I couldn't take it anymore and I leaned over the booth and said "Could you turn that down just a teeny bit? It's really loud". She glared at me and in spanish (probably because she thought I wouldn't understand) said to the boy, "The mean lady at that table said to shut up your game". and she made him turn it OFF. He went into a temper tantrum and was screaming for his iPad. She kept saying "That lady is mad at you" to him. I felt totally bad that she was making me out to be a witch and the bad guy when all I asked was for her to turn it down. If THEY had to scream over the iPad, wouldn't it stand to reason that they know it's pretty loud?

I just don't get why whenever kids are playing on the games, why it's got to be so loud in public? That's my beef. I understand that people use them for different reasons, heck I'm hooked into my iPhone a lot. No judgement there. However, when it's at ear splitting decibels, I think it's fair to ask them to turn it down, right?

In this instance, moving is rude and asking to turn it down is rude. So , do you lump it, or risk being seen as rude? SIGH. Modern living. LOL

Yes, yes and yes. I am so glad my last is finally out of braces. I lost my mind for years in the ortho's office with all the beeping handheld devices and people yelling into their cell phones. It was maddening.

I have never considered it lazy parenting I just want to be able to walk thru the aisles or read my book in the waiting room without someone on an electronic device annoying me.

FWIW I also hate Call Waiting.

Now - can we start lambasting the REAL rude folks

This thread wasn't about whether it's rude to be on electronics in public (FWIW, I don't necessarily think it is, and I'm not above answering my phone or responding to a text even in front of people who I know think it's rude to do so; I just say, "Excuse me, this is my husband and I need to take the call" or "Sorry, my daughter has asked me a question and I want to answer her."). It was about whether there is trend toward kids always needing to be entertained.

Tara

Edited for spelling

What else is a child supposed to do when he is too young for FaceBook? :glare:

Did I find the linked picture on this website, or elsewhere? I don't remember.

http://pinterest.com...20874627713817/

At any rate, I agree in principle with OP, but extend the problem to include adults. Society, in general, relies on the crutch of entertainment for any spare moment.

I have a fear... :ohmy: This fear may put me in the category of "nut-job-weirdo" but here it is anyway...

What happens if there comes a time when the only thing I might have for entertainment is my own brain? What if all the electronics no longer work or I don't have access to them (admittedly, this is a little "end-of-the-world-over-the-top")? What if I lose my sight and can no longer read books and/or look at a screen? I know there are alternatives available for that last scenario but I like the idea of training my brain to entertain itself. Maybe it stems from my childhood. I am a voracious reader but absolutely could not read in a vehicle - even to this day, I'll get sick if I look down at a map for my dh while he's driving. The only thing I could do was stare out the window or sleep. :D My parents would occasionally allow my sister and me to listen to music of our choosing on the car radio but not often. I do remember buying my own Walkman as a teen but cassettes were expensive. :)

I remember reading a story somewhere about an old woman who had lost her sight and was in a nursing home. She didn't have many visitors and no one to bring her audiobooks or things like that. I think she was also fairly physically feeble and so couldn't do many handicrafts, either. She said that she passed the time by reciting the poems and singing the songs to herself that she had learned/memorized as a child. That story really stuck with me, I guess.

Maybe I'm just freaky-weird - I don't know. For myself, I don't like the thought of being reliant on electronics. They just don't seem... reliable? :D I suppose my brain isn't terribly reliable, either, in that I may not always have the mental capacity to entertain myself. But then hopefully at that point, I won't care.

Not meaning to judge anyone at all!!!!! :) Just thought I would share my thoughts on the topic.

It makes you wonder how we all managed to survive childhood without the help of electronic devices. I know I would get bored sometimes and my mother usually handed me a pencil and a piece of paper to keep me occupied ... or a book.

It's amazing how many mothers before you were able to do the same shopping, (in probably even more limited time, as today's time saving devices such as electronic scanners in the checkout, microwaves, etc didn't exist) without the use of electronic devices. You can talk to a kid and entertain them w/out it slowing you down. You can sing the itsy-bitsy spider while scanning the shelves and putting items in your cart. You can hand a 3 yo items to put in the cart, thereby keeping them from getting bored. It's really NOT something you've GOT to do. It's lazy parenting. (go ahead and throw tomatoes-I'll use them to make salsa. :D )

My grandma didn't have to put up with whiny kids at the store, but not because they had electronics.

She had a housekeeper. A full time housekeeper. And no job.

(I'm not one for kids with electronics, but I in NO way compare today's parenting with past parenting. Completely different issues.)

Also, my friend from dds therapy office is a wonderful mom of five little ones, one of whom has autism. Her kids have very limited screen time and tons of play/outdoor time.

She owns four Nooks.

The kids know that therapy time is their Nook time. And I am ever so grateful for their Nook time. ;)

My grandma didn't have to put up with whiny kids at the store, but not because they had electronics.

She had a housekeeper. A full time housekeeper. And no job.

(I'm not one for kids with electronics, but I in NO way compare today's parenting with past parenting. Completely different issues.)

It's not just past parenting. I had to deal w/ whiny kids at the store, and I did it w/out electronics. I'm not a saint. Neither was my mother or grandmother. Honestly, I still don't know how my mother did it all. I have the same number of kids she did, she worked full time, and I still am amazed at how much she got done.

I'm just saying that it isn't something one HAS to do. I believe we all have moments of lazy parenting. I'm really not being ugly- I just think it's sad to see little kids not learning patience and to use their imaginations instead of relying on something to entertain them constantly. I think one of the biggest problems w/ today's society is the need for instant gratification, and handing electronics to kids just perpetuates the problem.

It's not just past parenting. I had to deal w/ whiny kids at the store, and I did it w/out electronics. I'm not a saint. Neither was my mother or grandmother. Honestly, I still don't know how my mother did it all. I have the same number of kids she did, she worked full time, and I still am amazed at how much she got done.

I'm just saying that it isn't something one HAS to do. I believe we all have moments of lazy parenting. I'm really not being ugly- I just think it's sad to see little kids not learning patience and to use their imaginations instead of relying on something to entertain them constantly. I think one of the biggest problems w/ today's society is the need for instant gratification, and handing electronics to kids just perpetuates the problem.

I don't know how to bold you last sentence on my iPad, but I totally agree.