Menu

What do you think is the best whitening toothpaste available?

HappyGrace

I whiten w/ Crest Professional Whitestrips every so often, but in between I want to keep my teeth whiter (I eat quite a few berries, etc.) Looking for a great whitening toothpaste!! I tried Crest 3-D and that was so-so; wondering if there is anything better? What about the new Colgate one that the commercial says is so powerful?

I'll take any recommendations!

I have lots of teeth whitening tips and I can share those if you wish. You seem to already know your stuff - berries, etc. Anyway, let me know.

As far as toothpastes go, here's what I read somewhere:

Dentists say that in order for a bleaching solution to have any effect, it has to be in contact with the tooth for at least twenty minutes. So as you stroll down the drugstore aisle and see all those toothpastes, mouthwashes, gums, flosses, and mints that promise “whitening,†be a smart shopper and save your money. All these products may be pleasant to use and give you sweet-smelling breath, but they’re not penetrating deeply enough to change your color, though some do remove stains. “It’s a gimmick, and it’s more expensive,†says Dr. Martin Polin, a cosmetic dentist who practices in Boca Raton, Florida. Dr. Polin would rather have you buy toothpaste with fluoride, because as your teeth recede, exposed roots can become more susceptible to cavities. But you didn’t really think that whitening would be as easy as chewing gum anyway, did you?

• Like 1

I have lots of teeth whitening tips and I can share those if you wish. You seem to already know your stuff - berries, etc. Anyway, let me know.

I wouldn't mind knowing if you have time.

I have teeth that won't be white no matter what I try.

The newest thing I've tried is Toms' new whitening toothpaste seems to be working some.

Get a lipstick with a blue undertone. Your teeth will be shades whiter!

I have trays for whitening from the dentist but I can't use it since my teeth are too sensitive.

I found that the baking soda cleaning from my dentist worked really well, so I bet brushing with baking soda will be effective.

• Like 2

I wouldn't mind knowing if you have time.

I have teeth that won't be white no matter what I try.

It's hard. I think that it gets more difficult as we get older.

Here goes. It's a lot of info and I'm sorry that it's not as organized as I would like it to be.

Strawberries may help whiten teeth because they contain an enzyme called malic acid, which can be found in some whitening toothpastes.

You can mash up the strawberry or just rub it on your teeth, cut in half. Leave the juice on your teeth for 5 minutes and then rinse with water.

The fiber in strawberries also behaves as a natural cleaner by removing bacteria from the teeth and mouth.

Apples, Celery, and Carrots

These fruits and veggies act like natural stain removers.

They increase saliva production, which is the body's built-in cleaning agent. It may sound hard to believe, but some people swear that rubbing raw carrot sticks on your teeth will make them look brighter.

These foods are high in vitamin C, which prevents gum disease and gingivitis and kills odor-causing bacteria.

Citrus fruit, such as oranges and pineapples, also cause the mouth to produce more saliva, which help clean the teeth and whiten your smile.

Just as they naturally 'bleach' your hair, lemons will lighten and brighten your teeth. Rinse with half water, half lemon juice once or twice a week.

However, do not rinse with this concoction more than two times a week and do not rinse with straight lemon juice. Overdoing it would be too acidic, which can be damaging to the teeth.

All of the experts agreed that baking soda is one of the strongest -- and safest -- whitening ingredients out there because it's an acid neutralizer that gently removes stains and buildup from the enamel.

If this mild abrasive agent is not already mixed into your toothpaste, you can sprinkle a bit on top of your paste each day. Brush with straight baking soda twice a month. This is similar to what your dental hygienist does.

Rinsing with Hydrogen Peroxide a couple of times a month can also brighten your smile, thanks to its oxidizing agents. Many mouthwashes are alcohol based, but hydrogen peroxide is an antiseptic.

Mouthwash kills existing bacteria, but hydrogen peroxide prevents the growth of bacteria. You can gargle daily with hydrogen peroxide, but it always needs to be done in a 50/50 solution with water. Hydrogen peroxide is good for preventing infections and can also be helpful for preventing bad breath, which is often caused by bacteria.

Mix equal parts hydrogen peroxide with water (about one tablespoon each) and swish around teeth for 60 seconds. After a minute, spit it out, leaving the bubbling and whitening action of the peroxide [to] sit on teeth for another minute or two, then rinse mouth with water.

I swish with peroxide full-force (no mixing with water) for about one minute. Then I dip my toothbrush into some baking soda, and scrub my teeth with it. I usually do this at night about once a week.

Make sure to brush and floss your teeth at least twice a day. Make sure to floss at bedtime and use a cheap gum massager to get under the gum flap. You want to prevent the buildup of plaque, which can discolor your teeth. Focusing on your teeth will help you prevent some staining of your teeth.

Brush teeth as soon as you can after dark beverages – tea, coffee, etc.

WHITENING STRIPS

Crest 2-Hour Express Whitestrips, which are made with an advanced-seal, no-slip technology that allows you to talk, drink water and go about your day are also said to be good.

Dentists would like you to believe that they are the only solution for teeth whitening but that isn’t the case. Almost all teeth whiteners (“bleachesâ€) work incredibly well so you can choose by cost or just start with the easiest availability which would be those at the drugstore. All teeth whiteners use the same type of ingredients, either carbamide peroxide or hydrogen peroxide, but with different strengths to lighten teeth. The higher the percentage of the active ingredient and the type of ingredient determines how fast you see improvement. Results will be seen in 1-14 days depending on the product you buy. Although there are several very good at-home whitening products, some of my favorites include Aquafresh Whitetrays Disposal Pre-Dosed Trays.

None of these treatments is very effective if your teeth are grayed rather than yellowed, or if they are completely yellowed. Teeth-bleaching systems work best for partially yellow or food-stained teeth.

----

If you need to get your teeth professionally cleaned, do it at least a week before you plan to use these strips.

Brush with a sensitive-teeth toothpaste twice a day for a week before you start treatment, and keep using it until you're finished with the treatments.

The part of the strip that goes on your teeth is the smooth side--the side that peels off the plastic. The dry bumpy side does not have the gel.

If you want to brush and floss, do so 3 hours before your treatment. DO NOT brush right before your treatment because your teeth and gums will kill!

Use the White Strips for 30 minutes every other day to cut down on sensitivity, or even space them out longer if you need to.

Everyday and twice a day like the instructions tell you will make you miserable.

You can even do two 30-minute sessions every other day if you have time and nowhere to go.

Never put the strips on while you still feel pain.

Don’t have anything dark to drink for at least an hour after using it.

Keep in mind that bleaching products have a short shelf-life. This is because the active ingredient is a form of peroxide and it is an exceptionally unstable ingredient. It can happen that by the time you find, buy, and start using your whitening strips the peroxide may have become inactive. If whatever method you try doesn’t provide noticeable results that could be the reason why.

Other than bleaching, if the yellow or dull color of your teeth is from tartar buildup, get your teeth professionally cleaned, and have them cleaned regularly.

If you can, avoid or minimize consumption of foods that can grab onto teeth and make them look darker, such as chocolate, dark-colored berries, red wine, and coffee. Milk can also bond onto front teeth and cause a yellow tartar buildup. Clearly, it would be best to brush immediately after eating these foods, but if that isn't possible, rinse your mouth well with water and then chew sugarless gum.

Many dentists recommend using the Sonicare automatic toothbrush to prevent tartar or plaque buildup. You definitely cannot manually brush your teeth as well as the Sonicare can, so it is a worthwhile option to check out.

• Like 1

DENTAL CARE

Yellow and dingy teeth are aging.

Genetics can play a role. Some people just have teeth with a yellowish or off-white appearance.

Brush at least twice daily – flossing is important also.

When you don’t brush your teeth at bedtime, you’re practically inviting all those colors from stain-causing foods (see list below) to get cozy on your pearly whites and settle in for the next eight hours.

Many dentists recommend using the Sonicare automatic toothbrush to prevent tartar or plaque buildup. You definitely cannot manually brush your teeth as well as the Sonicare can, so it is a worthwhile option to check out.

Have regular professional cleanings – every 6 months to year.

Foods to Limit – these cause stains

And when you do have them, try to brush very soon after –

Tea

Coffee

Red Wine

Chocolate

Dark-Colored Berries – blueberries, raspberries

Cranberry Juice

Cigarettes

Dark Cola

Marinara Sauce

Grape Juice

Beets

Milk can also bond onto front teeth and cause a yellow tartar buildup.

Rinsing with water for twenty seconds immediately after downing anything on the “bad†list will help.

Clearly, it would be best to brush immediately after eating these foods, but if that isn't possible, rinse your mouth well with water and then chew sugarless gum.

Foods to Eat More of

Raw vegetables and fruits help to scrub away stains:

Carrots

Cucumbers

Celery

Apples

Pears

Peaches

Plums

Broccoli

Asparagus

Grapes

Green Beans

Mushrooms

Bananas

These all act like a detergent, cleaning the surfaces of your teeth as you chew.

Oranges, pineapples, grapefruits, tangerines, nectarines, honeydews, cantaloupes, limes, mangoes, and tomatoes have a lot of vitamin C, which is good for gum tissue.

• Like 1

I use 3% hydrogen peroxide. I swish the equivalent of about 2 tbsp. around in my mouth until my teeth are fully coated, spit out the excess, and leave the rest in for about 15-20 min. I usually do this during my shower - works out well time-wise. My teeth are a tiny bit whiter after the first application, and very noticeably whiter after several days of treatments.

• 1 year later...
Guest bhushannowonline

Perhaps a good way to ease your self into teeth whitening is by understanding how stains develop, and what substances work to get rid of teeth discoloration.

The outer layer of your teeth is made up of enamel, a hard, porous, mineralized tissue. Color-rich food and drinks (such as chocolate, red wine and coffee), as well as nicotine from cigarette smoke, contain staining agents that accumulate into a thin film over the enamel. This layer can easily be removed through brushing; however, since enamel is quite permeable, staining particles can be absorbed deeper into your teeth over time, resulting in stubborn and unsightly stains that produce an off-putting yellowish pigmentation. While smoking and ingesting certain food items are the most common causes of stains, enamel hypoplasia, fluorosis and aging can also contribute to discoloration.

Most of  products use hydrogen peroxide, a bleaching agent that targets deep stains and breaks them down through oxidation. The concentration of this substance in over-the-counter products differs greatly from the amount found in professional whitening procedures. Typically, the higher the concentration, the faster the results are; but, this also increases the possibility of sensitivity and irritation. Therefore, the  may vary for each individual.  There are some products that use other forms of whitening agents other than peroxide. More on how teeth whitening works. A Guide To Toothpaste.
Ingredients Found In The Products

Peroxide – Peroxide is a chemical compound known for its cleaning properties. This versatile substance is recognized for its significance in water sanitation and elimination of pollutants, as well as its efficacy in bleaching. Universally, the best way to whiten teeth is through hydrogen peroxide. Carbamide peroxide contains about a third of hydrogen peroxide, and produces the same results but with longer wear time. Peroxide is the most popular active whitening agent in the brands.

Hydrated Silica – Also known as silicic acid, silica is a mild abrasive that, when combined with calcium carbonate, cripples plaque-producing bacteria and breaks down staining particles.

Sodium tripolyphosphate (STP) – STP is used in the production of bleaching toothpastes to help inhibit stains; it is also commonly used in household detergents and preservatives.

Potassium Nitrate and Flouride – If you’re prone to gum sensitivity, the to use is one that contains potassium nitrate and fluoride. Desensitizing gels usually applied before professional bleaching methods are done contain a concentration of about 5% of both substances, to make the procedure less unpleasant.

Essentially, fluoride is vital for optimum oral health. It shields your teeth from decay, repairs tiny cracks and holes to impede the formation of dental caries or cavities, and reduces discomfort caused by bacterial damage. So, why are there non fluoride toothpastes being sold in the market, and who uses them?

Ask any dentist about fluoride, and they’ll tell you how too much of a good thing can actually have adverse health effects, and, to a certain extent, become quite lethal.  Most people do not have any adverse affects to fluoride which is why it is prevalent in most of the choices.  However, it has been found to irritate or cause issues which is why there are flurride free toothpaste options available today.

While fluoride is used in water and toothpastes for oral hygiene purposes, as well as for the prevention of osteoporosis and other related health conditions involving bone loss, excessive consumption can cause dental fluorosis, a condition that weakens the enamel and results in severely discolored and damaged teeth. Moreover, research has found fluoride to be linked to chronic health conditions such as thyroid disorders and diabetes. In some cases, unregulated ingestion of fluoride has been found to cause accidental deaths, proving just how toxic this substance can be.

Although the use of fluoride free toothpaste is not as widespread as you might expect, more and more developed countries have discontinued water fluoridation because of the health hazards it poses. If you think that the to suit your oral care needs is a non fluoride toothpaste, make sure to let your dentist weigh in first before making the switch.  In general, if you do not swallow large amounts of fluoride you can stick to your with fluoride and should not have any issue.

It  is one of the most common ingredients in the products, hair, and skin care products, as well as many other household detergents and industrial strength cleaners. It acts as a foaming agent and as a surfactant, enabling easier application and use of products. There is much debate on whether SLS is carcinogenic or not; nevertheless, due to its tendency to cause gum and skin irritation, canker sores and organ toxicity, not to mention its subtle yet apparent effects on hormone levels and the reproductive system, it is known to be a health hazard.

Apples, Celery, and Carrots
These fruits and veggies act like natural stain removers.
They increase saliva production, which is the body's built-in cleaning agent. It may sound hard to believe, but some people swear that rubbing raw carrot sticks on your teeth will make them look brighter.
These foods are high in vitamin C, which prevents gum disease and gingivitis and kills odor-causing bacteria.

Citrus fruit, such as oranges and pineapples, also cause the mouth to produce more saliva, which help clean the teeth and whiten your smile.
Just as they naturally 'bleach' your hair, lemons will lighten and brighten your teeth. Rinse with half water, half lemon juice once or twice a week.
However, do not rinse with this concoction more than two times a week and do not rinse with straight lemon juice. Overdoing it would be too acidic, which can be damaging to the teeth.

All of the experts agreed that baking soda is one of the strongest -- and safest -- whitening ingredients out there because it's an acid neutralizer that gently removes stains and buildup from the enamel.
If this mild abrasive agent is not already mixed into your toothpaste, you can sprinkle a bit on top of your paste each day. Brush with straight baking soda twice a month. This is similar to what your dental hygienist does.

Despite these drawbacks, SLS is still widely used in manufacturing toothpastes and other products because it is cheap and effective. If this is something that disturbs you, or you want a chemical free toothpaste, you may want to consider throwing out your regular paste and purchasing an SLS free toothpaste instead. With an SLS free toothpaste, you’ll notice that foaming when brushing teeth is significantly reduced, but that does not in any way affect the toothpaste’s efficacy. Besides, foam and bubbles are a small price to pay to not have to brush with chemicals.

As far as toothpastes go, here's what I read somewhere:

Dentists say that in order for a bleaching solution to have any effect, it has to be in contact with the tooth for at least twenty minutes. So as you stroll down the drugstore aisle and see all those toothpastes, mouthwashes, gums, flosses, and mints that promise “whitening,†be a smart shopper and save your money. All these products may be pleasant to use and give you sweet-smelling breath, but they’re not penetrating deeply enough to change your color, though some do remove stains. “It’s a gimmick, and it’s more expensive,†says Dr. Martin Polin, a cosmetic dentist who practices in Boca Raton, Florida. Dr. Polin would rather have you buy toothpaste with fluoride, because as your teeth recede, exposed roots can become more susceptible to cavities. But you didn’t really think that whitening would be as easy as chewing gum anyway, did you?

Regarding Crest Prohealth (speaking here of the mouthwash, NOT strips or anything like that) you might want to google it, along with the words "brown stains." You'd be surprised to find what CAUSES them!

My oldest was using Pro-health mouthwash for a week or so and then his teeth became so stained, he looked like was chewing tobacco! I freaked out. I read the side of the bottle and sure enough, there was a warning that a few people have experienced staining with it!

BTW, he was using a bottle that was given to him by our dentist! It took a couple of weeks for the staining to go away, but it did.

• 3 years later...

I am using one that doesn't have any peroxide and you can find it a Whole Foods or Amazon:: Perio-Brite. https://www.amazon.com/Natures-Answer-PerioBrite-Natural-Toothpaste/dp/B002LMBFEK/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?ie=UTF8&qid=1510188017&sr=8-1-spons&keywords=periobrite%2Btoothpaste&th=1 One of the U tubers I follow recommended it. It doesn' t make my teeth sensitive and I can tell the difference. I haven't felt the need to use whitening stips in a long time.