Menu

Go DO something: Help me get over my need to see my kids busy all morning

Ok, so I've come along way in understanding what our homeschooling day does and does not have to look like, but some days I still get irritated when my kids, after having finished their required work, sit around and do nothing. I find myself telling them (weakly) to "go do legos" or "go read or something!" but that sounds pretty lame even to me. Help me get over it! Maybe I need to make crafts/other activities more available during the down time?

My children are constantly turning on the TV or begging for computer time and I'm also telling them to "Find something to do! Read a book or play with Legos or something." They will eventually do something creative if I'm consistent about putting off screen time. After days like today, where getting required work done was a major battle, I really don't care if they sit and stare at the wall for the rest of the day. I need some peace and sometimes kids just need a chance to relax and daydream.

As long as their not complaining, I'd say its their problem. If they whine about being bored, offer a suggestion or two. If they KEEP whining, have a prepared list of chores on slips of paper in a box or bowl and have them draw one. I'd imagine a few times doing that and they'll find something to do all by themselves. :)

ETA: I just looked at your kids' ages. The chores may or may not work, but you could do the same sort of thing for activities/suggestions. And that way, you don't have to think too hard after making the initial list.

Down time, unstructured time, play time, etc are important. Think of it as nurturing their creativity, even if you can't see anything happening. It's nigh on impossible to not think about anything at all. If you google those terms and childhood, you'll find plenty of research on it.

As long as the TV/computer/gameboy isn't entertaining them, eventually, they will entertain themselves.

Don't entertain them. Don't let them be in your face whining about having nothing to do, or listening in on any of your telephone calls or actual person-to-person discussions. Don't let them hurt their siblings. Keep all screens turned off--no computer, no cell phones, no nothin'. I promise you that they will eventually go figure out something to do.

I helped the kids brainstorm a list of things they could do when they were done school for the day. Then I posted a "I'm Bored" list of chores I would require them to do, if they said they were bored. Now, my youngest tried to come and say, "I'm not sure what I can do." The first time, I stupidly started suggesting one thing after another to her which were all rejected for one reason or another. That ended the conversation in frustration. :willy_nilly: The second time she came all sad eyed and slightly pouty saying she wasn't sure what she could do, I told her to go clean out the shoe closet and I expected it done in 30 minutes.

She never came back!! :D

You don't mention them complaining of boredom. Are they? If so, yes to the list of things to do. Even get them involved in writing it. that way they have a sense of ownership.

I know if my 5 or 3 year olds complain of boredom I invite them to do what I'm doing (dishes, reading, sweeping, ect). Sometimes they join me, sometimes they have a better idea. Either way I make it clear its not my job to entertain them. I agree with above posters that limiting screen time really helps.

If they aren't complaining, then I'd leave it alone. Find something for yourself to do so you aren't staring at them, lol.

Are you irritated by them "doing nothing" when you're feeling guilty of being lazy? Shortly after we married DH used to relax all weekend and as long as I was up busy with something he was happy, but not ten minutes after I'd recline on a couch around 4 pm he'd be up & coming up with projects for us. He never felt lazy until I was lying down, until I laughed at him pointed out his habit of feeling this way. Pure projection on his part, because I only had to point out what he was doing a few times before he could let me relax..