Menu

Plz help me find a good rice cooker (Zojirushi? other?)

HappyGrace

I really need a decent rice cooker. A df just got a Zojirushi and she likes it because the warmer keeps the rice hot w/out drying it out, can cook beans in it, etc. (The ability to cook dried beans it in would be a big deal for me since I have to go on a low sodium diet and can't have canned beans anymore.) She got it for about 75$ after the 20% Bed Beth and Beyond coupon. (It looks like this but I dont' know if this is the exact one: http://www.amazon.com/Zojirushi-NS-VGC05-Uncooked-Electric-Cooker/dp/B001KVZZH6/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1366309202&sr=8-6&keywords=zojirushi+rice+cooker)

So I"m looking into this brand. I don't want to spend more than $75. If you have a Zojirushi, are you happy with it? What model? Any recommendations about it? How large for a family of 4 big eaters?

Or other rice cookers that you like?

I have an older model that was more expensive at the time than the one you are looking at. Ours is about 5 years old and gets used a lot, although I have never cooked beans in it and may have to try. We really love it and it is the one thing if it broke today I would be getting another one immediately.

I can cook 3 cups of dry rice in it without a problem and it has the capability to do more. Three cups is enough for 2 adults and 1 toddler to eat probably 2 meals off of.

Mine is National brand and I've been using it happily for...huh...a long, long time, about 20 years. Aack. *time out for mini-crisis* Its dupoosed to be able to steam veggies, but I've never tried it. Zojirushi brand has been around forever, I don't think you would go wrong either way.

I had a Zojirushi for 9 years but decided to switch to another rice cooker because of Zojirushi's non-stick inner pan. In all 9 years we owned it, we've had it changed 3 times because the inner pan would start to peel after a while. We certainly did not abuse our inner pan, in fact, we took really good care of it but still ran into peeling problem. Each replacement for inner pan costs more than $50, not to mention the health effect of cooking with a peeling pan. Other than that, Zojirushi is a very good brand, we own their hot water dispenser for 8 years and never had problems with it.

If you do decide on Zojirushi, and want the bean option, make sure you buy one that has brown rice function. You just need to soak your beans overnight and use the brown rice button to cook your beans. If you plan to use it daily, a 6-cup capacity for a family of 4 is enough. Hope this help.

I had a Zojirushi for 9 years but decided to switch to another rice cooker because of Zojirushi's non-stick inner pan. In all 9 years we owned it, we've had it changed 3 times because the inner pan would start to peel after a while. We certainly did not abuse our inner pan, in fact, we took really good care of it but still ran into peeling problem. Each replacement for inner pan costs more than $50, not to mention the health effect of cooking with a peeling pan. Other than that, Zojirushi is a very good brand, we own their hot water dispenser for 8 years and never had problems with it.

If you do decide on Zojirushi, and want the bean option, make sure you buy one that has brown rice function. You just need to soak your beans overnight and use the brown rice button to cook your beans. If you plan to use it daily, a 6-cup capacity for a family of 4 is enough. Hope this help.

Which brand did you switch to?

I have one of the larger Zojirushi's (mine can make up to 12 cups) and like the pp said, if it broke it would be replaced (unless I was broke :) ) We use it at least 4 times a week for all kinds of rice - mainly Japanese style rice but also for brown rice. I've had mine for about 10 years now and have had no trouble with it at all. Non-stick covering isn't my favorite to use either, but I've had absolutely no peeling with this Zo at all. All I ever use in it is the rice paddle that comes with it though, maybe that makes a difference.

One feature I use all the time is the delay timer. I was forever not turning it on at the right time for a meal until I got this Zo with the timer build in and now I can set it whenever I think of it during the day and it will be piping hot for supper, right on time.

I'm afraid mine is beginning to fail a bit so I'm waiting to see what happens. The clock will no longer hold the time if it's not plugged in so I know there's a battery in there that has failed but no obvious was to replace it.

Hmm...I wonder if the non-stick stuff on the newer ones is better?

I'm not thrilled w/ non-stick in general either but most rice cookers have it.

Also, HSCDY, I'd be interested in knowing what you switched to?

I'm wondering if the Panasonic one that looks similar (and is also Fuzzy technology) is just as good for a cheaper price.

I got an Aroma with a stainless steel pot a few months ago and I like it. It doesn't have a timer or any fancy settings--just "on" and "keep warm" but I did not want another non-stick pot. The one I had previously also had problems with the non-stick coating peeling, and I only used the included rice paddle.

I think I could do beans in it, but I haven't tried.

I got an Aroma with a stainless steel pot a few months ago and I like it. It doesn't have a timer or any fancy settings--just "on" and "keep warm" but I did not want another non-stick pot. The one I had previously also had problems with the non-stick coating peeling, and I only used the included rice paddle.

I think I could do beans in it, but I haven't tried.

I've had the Aroma rice cooker for about 2 years. It does what it is supposed to do. It has a brown rice setting, so maybe it can cook beans.

I baby the nonstick surface hoping it will last awhile. I use it every week or two, not every day.

Has anyone tried the Tiger brand? It looks similar to the Zoji, but less expensive.

Tiger brand is very good. They usually have two models - one made in Japan, and one made in China. The Japanese made one is more expensive. You can get a nice Tiger one for $75, I think. Most of the rice cookers nowadays seem to have a keep warm mode. Panasonic's are pretty good, too, I think. (They're the same as National.)

I'm afraid mine is beginning to fail a bit so I'm waiting to see what happens. The clock will no longer hold the time if it's not plugged in so I know there's a battery in there that has failed but no obvious was to replace it.

If that's all that's wrong with it, it is not starting to fail, your battery has just died. It should still work fine, aside from keeping the time, but you have to have an authorized service center replace the battery. I don't know why they did that, but anyway, the rest of it should still work and you don't need to worry about it not cooking.

I honestly wouldn't cook beans in a rice cooker. I think beans mess up pans. I would use a pressure cooker.

If you are going to make white rice and don't need the other features, I'd just go for the one button press type. The smart rice cookers take about twice as long to cook rice as the simple press types do. The smart cookers do better on things like brown rice, though, and features like timers are handy if you need them.

There are aluminum inner pots. I don't like them but I'm planning to get one for my MIL because the non stick coating is not a good choice. Various of the users use only metal spoons and scrape a lot, so I want her to have something more durable. She is fine with aluminum, that's what the rest of her cooking pots are made of.

I got an Aroma from costco for about $30. I've only had it a few months, but it's been great. I can make 6+ cups of dry rice which means tons of cooked rice. This model is also a steamer (you can steam over your cooking rice if you wish) AND a slow cooker. I'd been toying with the idea of getting a second crockpot, so now I'm all set up.

If that's all that's wrong with it, it is not starting to fail, your battery has just died. It should still work fine, aside from keeping the time, but you have to have an authorized service center replace the battery. I don't know why they did that, but anyway, the rest of it should still work and you don't need to worry about it not cooking.

Oh good! I was worrying because I really use it a lot and thought maybe I had worn it out. It really doesn't bother me because it works fine - I just have to remember to set the clock manually every time I need to use the delay function. I'll have to look and see if there is an authorized service center around here.

Sorry I've been away from home and didn't get online for a couple of days. For those who wanted to know which brand of rice cooker I switch it to, you can find it here. It is the type I grew up with. Although it looks very "primitive", meaning there is no fancy timer or settings allowing you to cook different grains, this baby can cook rice, beans, porridge, stew meat, steam buns, bake cakes, and reheat leftovers. The inner pan is stainless steel. It sticks only if I am cooking white rice, and it can be taken care of with just a bit of soaking. For some reason it does not stick if I cook brown rice or other kind of whole grain in it.

For those who did not grow up with this kind of cooker (that means most of you), it take some getting used to. But once you learn how to use it, it will become one of the most versatile cookware in your kitchen.

My husband bought me a Zojirushi about two months ago. We live at high altitude and I needed a rice cooker that would do a good job since this swamp-raised girl was having a hard time producing anything even slightly resembling rice.

He bought me a much fancier model than I thought I needed, but I have forgiven him. This model has a "porridge" setting. At night, I throw in my steel-cut oats, fill the pan up to the line with water, set the time I want my oats done in the morning, and push the button. It plays me a cute little tune and I go to bed. When I wake up, all I have to do is scoop out my yummy perfectly cooked oats. I have cooked more oats than rice. I absolutely love this thing!