Menu

Free History Curriculum!

kristi26

Good morning everyone!

I just wanted to pop in and let everyone know that I have posted all 3 of the year's terms for the free History Plans I shared the last few days. :) I am using Story of the World 3 and A History of US 2-5 as the spines but have also scheduled some other things like videos and projects. I also have other books scheduled in that fit with the time period of each term.

Here's a link to the newest one: http://themommywrite...kshands_18.html

And in case you missed the others, here are the links for those as well: http://themommywrite...kshands_17.html and also: http://themommywrite...bookshands.html

Enjoy!

ETA: I have just posted the first of three terms for year 2 as well! :) Here is a link: http://themommywrite...kshands_23.html

ETA2: I also just posted term 2 of year 2: http://themommywrite...kshands_29.html

ETA3: Term 3 of year 2 is now up: http://themommywriter.blogspot.com/2013/05/free-charlotte-masonliving-bookshands.html

Thank you, thank you, thank you! I saw your other post, and I was so bummed. We are on week 28 of SOTW 3. So I was so excited to see you post the last term of your plans. This is just what we need to breathe some fresh life into our history to finish out the year. I'm so excited to start this next week. Plus, we were already using the American Girl books, as well. How awesome that you scheduled them out! We have read Kaya and started the HOAC Lapbook. So fun. Thanks again!

Kritsi -

First, thank you for sharing your hard work with us! Second, do you have an ETA on posting the other terms of Year 2? We are starting that time period next year. Not trying to rush you...just wondering if I start with the first term in July would you have the other terms posted in time for me to gather books.

Oh, and, on average, how much time per week does this schedule take for your family?

Kritsi -

First, thank you for sharing your hard work with us! Second, do you have an ETA on posting the other terms of Year 2? We are starting that time period next year. Not trying to rush you...just wondering if I start with the first term in July would you have the other terms posted in time for me to gather books.

Oh, and, on average, how much time per week does this schedule take for your family?

We do History four days a week. We have co-op on Fridays so that day is devoted only to those classes so keep that in mind as I answer. Also keep in mind that I am a bad estimator AND these are all estimates below! :001_rolleyes:

The amount of time we spend on History varies from kid to kid and from day to day. ODS is a little slower with his work as he day dreams and wishes to be playing video games (plus he has some LDs) when he is supposed to be reading and/or summarizing a lot. I want him to have more work to do as prep for high school. So I want HIM to be doing the bulk of the readings that I have listed. It often takes him about an hour a day to do the day's readings and send me a few sentences as a summary. When we add in projects like the Hands-on History, we add a bit more time but he likes that part so it isn't a big deal.

For the younger two, I try to keep History to about a half hour at the most (my youngest even less). I like to have the middle kid send me summaries (they use tablets and type them up) but I just ask my youngest to orally tell me about what she read. When we do projects, again, it takes longer but they all like the projects. When we do notebooking pages together, I'll often have my kids tell me orally about what we read and/or learned today and then I'll write it up on a whiteboard for them all to copy. Sometimes we'll take lapbooking components and add them to notebooking pages. We always add our Hands-on History projects to notebooking pages so it's easier to keep track of them AND I can easily add them to portfolios.

When we did our timeline this year, we worked on one big one all together. I did the writing and I'll do the assembly to make it into the one that is linked in my plans.

History, for me, is exciting and important. So we take more time on it. I know that isn't true for all families and so, you should use only what you want to use from my plans and disregard the rest.

As for a timeline for terms 2 and 3 of year 2, I AM in the process of putting those together right now. I have them started but they are not nearly done. I'm hoping to post term 2 next week (we'll see). I wanted to get that one put together completely while it's still fresh in my mind! :tongue_smilie: We'll be finished with our school year next Friday and so then I will have 2 months off to put together the rest of that plus my year for next year (I have my history year done and I know what we're doing for math, but that's about it!).

I'm hoping I answered all of your questions in my ramble...lol. Does that help?

Does that help?

Yes, very much.

I scheduled out our SOTW 1 this year very much as you've scheduled your history, BUT I've just taken over "ownership" of a fairly large co-op and I started to panic about planning our history (among other things) for next year since my one month off for the summer will now include planning the co-op for next year. Imagine my relief and joy when I found your plans! :hurray:

Great Job and Thanks Again!

I didn't read through all the comments so excuse me if the answer is already here somewhere, but where is year 1?

Year 1 doesn't exist yet. :) I haven't gotten there. I have posted most of what we did last year (year 2, and term 3 is yet to be posted) and what we are doing next year (year 3). Oddly, year 1 is the year I will put together last. Sorry!