Menu

If you had 0 Latin yourself, how many years of Latin

If you had 0 Latin, what is the most number of years   

23 members have voted

1. 1. If you had 0 Latin, what is the most number of years you (alone, no tutoring, or classes, friends, or spouses) taught middle school or higher Latin to any ONE child?

• less than 1 year
    • 1-2 years
    • 2-3 years
    • 3-4 years
    • 4-5 years
    • 5-6 years
    • 7 years +

Honestly, I'm struggling to learn the Latin with the kids. I can grade, but their understanding lags with mine when we start translating. Besides grading and planning, it takes 4 extra hours a week for me to learn it well. It can be done of course, but I'm wondering how many do.

I voted 2-3 years, but I didn't actually teach Latin I, II, and III. It was more like Latin 1A (Getting Started with Latin), Latin 1A again (Latin Prep 1, first half), and then Latin 1A again (Cambridge 1).

I'm hitting a wall with my ability to keep up at the 1A level. This is what I'm running into as we're hitting 1/2 way point in Latin for Children C. I think it would be close to 1 semester of Latin in highschool. I'm going to have to decide just how important Latin is as we jump into highschool science. Hands on labs and Lab write ups will be a high priority.

I voted 2-3 years, but I didn't actually teach Latin I, II, and III. It was more like Latin 1A (Getting Started with Latin), Latin 1A again (Latin Prep 1, first half), and then Latin 1A again (Cambridge 1).

We followed a similar course, except I voted less than one year.

Since then, I have outsourced Latin. :)

I voted 4-5 years, but I see that I should have chosen 1-2. I taught my kids with Latina Christiana 1 and 2 and the first book of Henle. After that, they study Latin independently. My son is in the fourth Henle book now; he also uses Legamus readers and Excelability in Advanced Latin. My daughter hated Henle, so after the first half of the first book she started over with Wheelock's. She began working independently after I walked her through the first five or so chapters. All the books we use have excellent support materials, so I've had few problems grading their work. We've had the occasional translation question, of course, but we've always been able to find the help we need on the internet.

DD isn't to middle school yet, but we've worked through CL 1 and 2 so far, after LFC A and B (and SSL/Minimus). However, I had taken some Latin in school-it's simply that mine was focused on being able to sing the Mass and Carmina Burana and similar texts, rather than translating Cicero.

I'm planning to move her to some other type of class after she finishes CL at home-I don't mind it if she's not getting the full depth of grammar at her age, but I want her to get a solid course SOMEWHERE eventually.

I did similarly to others on this thread--I taught Prima Latina, then LC 1 and 2, and then I taught them through Henle 1 (this would be my oldest 2). I had no experience with Latin whatsoever before starting to teach them in elementary school. They scored really well on the NLE I exam last year (oldest son was a freshman, 2nd son was in 7th grade). They are doing different things now, so we aren't doing anymore Latin with them. Now I'm almost done with LC I with my second set of boys. I think I will move them on to First Forms, and then we'll do at least Henle I. I'm hoping to get through Henle 2 this time around! I do feel like since I took it at a slow pace, with LC 1 and 2, it was not hard to stay ahead of them. I could not have, say, picked up Wheelocks and started up. I simply could not have remembered and retained it at all! Doing it slowly has allowed this old brain to learn some new tricks!

I wouldn't say I teach, but I've been learning Latin alongside my oldest for four years. We used Latin Primer, tried Wheelock's, then settled on Latin for the New Millenium. We'll finish level 2 next month, and hopefully get through level 3 next year. I plan to teach high school Latin to all five of my boys (the younger guys are using GSWL and Lively Latin right now), so I do think it's worth the hours I've put in with my oldest.

I have done Prima Latina, LC 1, and First Form Lating with DD10. When she got to First Form I purchased an extra workbook so I can learn with her and I will do the same with Second Form next year. I will admit that she learns faster but at least I am keeping up enough that I feel I can keep instructing her.