Menu

Exercise Thread ~ 4/14-4/21

Negin

I took off 4 days from the gym this week. My muscles were so sore I was having trouble even walking. I needed a rest, but I am now really antsy .....

Going to take my kids on a 5 mile hike today....and tomorrow start back up to training.

Ds and I are doing a mud run obstacle course next month...it is a 5K through all sorts of mud, muck, streams etc......I better get my run on!

This morning we had crossfit, of course. This is proof I *need* to GO to work out. First we had the warm up (3 rounds of overhead squats, sit-ups, dips, pull-ups, and back extentions) and then we had the workout: 400m then 20 burpees, 3 times (supposed to be five, but I'm not that cool!).

Good news :) Two of the women came up to me and said they could really tell a difference in how I look. I have taken a few pics so I can see the progress there. Well, and this weekend, I wore pants several sizes smaller!

Today I did a 3 mile run and did a little conditioning with the kettlebell (lots of core work, and I can feel it). Yesterday was a strength workout. It focused on Turkish Get-ups, which were hard. My right shoulder is sore today from them. I thought I was good about keeping my shoulder "packed" but still, it's sore.

Tomorrow is yoga day and my hips are desperate for the practice.

I need help. I'm going crazy trying to find new shoes. I need a good XT shoe. Those here who do high impact workouts what shoe do you like? I bought and returned Nike Hyperlunar XT because they are super super narrow.

I've been staring at zappos too long.

What type of training are you doing? Do you need support? Do you pronate (or overpronate)?

If you didn't need the support I might lean towards those minimal shoes (zero drop) or the 5 finger Vibrams.

You should go somewhere and try shoes on. Every brand fits a bit differently. Until you know what works you will need a fitting.

What type of training are you doing? Do you need support? Do you pronate (or overpronate)?

If you didn't need the support I might lean towards those minimal shoes (zero drop) or the 5 finger Vibrams.

You should go somewhere and try shoes on. Every brand fits a bit differently. Until you know what works you will need a fitting.

I have a neutral stride. I do a bit of everything. I have Brooks Pure for running and I love those. Just not sure about using them for non-running exercise.

The problem with going to stores is that they almost never have my size.

I want shoes for high impact stuff like JM cardio and such so lots of lunges, squats, jumping, lateral moves, and weights.

Although I have a pair of Nike Free (kids version) I don't have luck with that brand because Nike runs narrow. Maybe kids shoes are wider?

I also have a pair of Asics Gel Upshot and I find them too heavy and clunky.

I would like to have a bit of cushioning for forefoot landing.

I just bought and fit in several pairs of "the next sized down" pants with my birthday shopping money. They fit snug, but I can comfortably sit, squat, bend, and live in them. The old pants were this tight when I bought them on my last birthday. One more year and one size smaller. Yay!

Warm-up (3 rounds):

• Samson stretch
  • 10 push-ups
  • 10 dips
  • 10 squat-hops

Work-out:

• Run 400m, THEN
  • 30 reps of each: box jumps, pull-ups, over-head squats,
  • 20 reps of each: box jumps, pull-ups, over-head squats,
  • 10 reps of each: box jumps, pull-ups, over-head squats,
  • 5 repsof each: box jumps, pull-ups, over-head squats.

Post Work-Out:

• Row 1000m (my kids ran/walked 800m instead)

Then I came home, showered, and worked Heidi (engagement, basic commands of sit, down, stand, and crawl)

I have a neutral stride. I do a bit of everything. I have Brooks Pure for running and I love those. Just not sure about using them for non-running exercise.

The problem with going to stores is that they almost never have my size.

I want shoes for high impact stuff like JM cardio and such so lots of lunges, squats, jumping, lateral moves, and weights.

Although I have a pair of Nike Free (kids version) I don't have luck with that brand because Nike runs narrow. Maybe kids shoes are wider?

I also have a pair of Asics Gel Upshot and I find them too heavy and clunky.

I would like to have a bit of cushioning for forefoot landing.

For weights, I would want a minimalist shoe. Nike's do run narrow, you should try another brand. Do you wear a 6? Is that why it's hard to find?

For the cardio, I would think the running shoes would work. I don't know. I know for squats and lunges I prefer to be barefoot. Shoes mess up you alignment, especially for squats, since they tip you forward. But if you're jumping up and down, you do need padding on your forefoot, unless you have a good, thick mat. That may be the way to go.

I took a chance and went to a store yesterday as they were having a shoe sale. From trying all the brands it seems that I've found a winner with New Balance. I actually wear a 5 to 5.5 in everyday shoes. For sneakers I usually go with a 6 and wear thicker socks, or buy kids size.

I was amazed that I did find shoes yesterday. :hurray: I bought a cushier shoe for cardio jumping and a minimalist shoe. So now I have running shoes, high impact cardio shoes, and minimalist shoes. I'm set.

did yoga.

I'm having pain/discomfort in my leg, but I now think it's muscle and not the knee joint, as the pain moved to other places in my leg. (I was becoming paranoid as several of those with the same mrna as me have had knee replacements. - even my 55yo sister is looking at a replacement.)

I've been sitting in an uncomfortable chair that cuts on the hamstrings, and as much as I adore my danskos - I've given them up for awhile to see if anything improves. I've had leg pain from other shoes in the past. fingers crossed. I'll also talk to my chiro at my next visit (might even go in early as I only see him once a month) about my hips.

but I can feel my thigh muscles getting firmer . . . .

Did a kettlebell strength workout today. I've managed to hurt my right shoulder. I did it before I started my current program. I was being too aggressive doing things on my own, and it seemed like it was doing better, but the workout the other day aggravated it and again today. I'm going to skip the kettlebell conditioning workout tomorrow and just run for the next 2 days. That way my next kettlebell WO won't be till Sunday. My shoulder should feel a bit better by then.

CrossFit Warm-Up (3 rounds):

• 10 overhead squats
  • 10 dips
  • 10 pull-ups
  • 10 back ext
  • 5 burpees

CrossFit WOD (3 rounds):

• Run 400 (but I rowed the 2nd and 3rd rounds)
  • 12 KB Deadlifts
  • 21 box jumps

Post-WOD (supposed to be 3 rounds, but I did one):

• I skipped the sit-ups on the back ext machine
  • 10 toe-to-bars (but I didn't get my toes all the way up, of course)
  • 20 sit-ups

I also skipped mobility other than the butterfly stretch.

Just in case anyone reading this thinks that maybe I'm being buffalo'd, it has definitely hit me that just because they name it different things, that it is ALL working out :)

I was extra weak today, especially my left side. I almost quit after the first round. Like I was gonna but my son told on me and after I got done tearing up like a baby, I kept trying. I figured half-hearted was better than not doing it. Not sure if that is really true. Anyway, I wish my left side would just behave! I may row myself through my daughter's crossfit kids class this afternoon just so I'm doing "something."

I did pilates - but I'm not liking it. it's boring for starters. pity, as I really like the instructor. anyone know anything about barre3? I got on in our "daily deals" and thought that could be a possibility for my 'something else'.