Menu

Do I really want an AppleTV/Roku box?

happypamama

I can't decide if it's worth it or not.

I have an iPad 2. I currently have a Netflix account, because DH and I are working our way through a couple of shows that are too popular for the libraries to have the DVDs reliably, but I don't know if we'll keep it after we're done or not. We do enjoy watching a few TV shows online, but otherwise, we're not huge TV/movie viewers. However, right now, we're stuck watching Netflix or TV channels at our desktop machine, which isn't the most comfortable place to watch, for one, and for another, I like to watch TV/movies while I'm folding laundry on our bed. (Currently, our TV is in our room, but since we only watch when there's something we really want to see, I'm okay with that.) I don't mind watching by myself on the iPad, but it's really not great if two people want to watch something together. When we do want to watch a movie, it would be really nice to get it online and be able to watch on the nice TV screen. (We also live 10 miles from anything that has a Redbox kiosk, and it would be really nice to watch something spur-of-the-moment on Saturday night without someone having to go out.)

So I'm considering an AppleTV or Roku box, because when we would use it, I think it would be really, really usefl. Which would be better? Do I need the latest thing, or no?

Of the following, what will the AppleTV/Roku boxes stream? (And is it that it streams through the iPad onto the main TV? I assume there's a connector cord of some sort that I need?)

-TV channels -- ABC, NBC, FOX

-Amazon movies

-Hulu Plus

-Netflix

-Blockbuster online (and Redbox -- do they have a DVD online rental? not sure)

ETA: I do not have Amazon prime and don't intend to get it; we have occasionally bought/rented TV or movies from Amazon, though, and that has worked nicely.

Thanks in advance for any help you can give a clueless luddite. :)

I love our Apple TV. If you have an iPad, I'd probably go with Apple TV, because you can link them up wirelessly very easily (no connector necessary). Don't forget to get the remote app on your iPad, so it becomes a big remote for when the smaller AppleTV remote goes missing. :)

We have a DVD player that streams as well, and I greatly prefer AppleTV's interface and navigation, but that probably depends on your Roku box, I don't know. I just find AppleTV's easier.

We don't stream any TV channels, I can't answer that, but we can stream Netflix, Hulu Plus, and some other stuff that I never use. :) Youtube gets a lot of use here, too. Plus podcasts. And TED talks. We also play things from our iPad to the Apple TV, or from our Macs. No Amazon Prime though - we have to go through our DVD player to get that on the TV. We also use our iTunes account fairly frequently for rentals and TV shows (that we purchase - Bill Nye, Horrible Histories, etc).

Do you have a reasonably fast wireless internet connection that can support video streaming in HD (assuming you have an HD set)?

Would you rather put the money into a Blu-ray player that will also stream video (as a receiver) if you have an HMDI input?

Bill

Do you have a reasonably fast wireless internet connection that can support video streaming in HD (assuming you have an HD set)?

Would you rather put the money into a Blu-ray player that will also stream video (as a receiver) if you have an HMDI input?

Bill

We do have a reasonably fast wireless connection; it streams to the iPad and desktop just fine. I'm not sure our TV is an HD TV; I think it's not, but it does have the various slots on the back for different connectors (HDMI, etc.).

I did not know Blu-ray players could stream. Hmmmm, that's not a bad idea. Can they stream TV channels like NBC? And will a Blu-ray player be good even if the TV itself isn't HD? (Can you tell I know little about this, LOL?)

We do have a reasonably fast wireless connection; it streams to the iPad and desktop just fine. I'm not sure our TV is an HD TV; I think it's not, but it does have the various slots on the back for different connectors (HDMI, etc.).

I did not know Blu-ray players could stream. Hmmmm, that's not a bad idea. Can they stream TV channels like NBC? And will a Blu-ray player be good even if the TV itself isn't HD? (Can you tell I know little about this, LOL?)

The Blu-ray players (that are "smart" players, not all are) will stream Internet based video services like Netflix, HuluPlus, Amazon Prime, YouTube, and the like. They will not pull in "broadcast" unless you have an antenna (which is a good idea to have). If you go to "TV Fool" and enter your address it will show you your broadcast TV coverage strength and the broadcast directions. So you could see if free over the air TV is possible.

As it happens, over the air broadcast is much higher quality than cable TV. And it is free.

Google your TV set model and find out what you have.

Also go to an Internet speed test (2 Wire has one) and see what your download seed is before you go spending money.

Bill

The Blu-ray players (that are "smart" players, not all are) will stream Internet based video services like Netflix, HuluPlus, Amazon Prime, YouTube, and the like. They will not pull in "broadcast" unless you have an antenna (which is a good idea to have). If you go to "TV Fool" and enter your address it will show you your broadcast TV coverage strength and the broadcast directions. So you could see if free over the air TV is possible.

As it happens, over the air broadcast is much higher quality than cable TV. And it is free.

Google your TV set model and find out what you have.

Also go to an Internet speed test (2 Wire has one) and see what your download seed is before you go spending money.

Bill

Hmmmm. Well, we never actually watch things like NBC or FOX as broadcast; the shows we like are on at inconvenient times. So we watch them on the weekends on nbc.com (or the iPad app) -- can a blu-ray player stream from places like nbc.com?

Thanks, Bill!

Hmmmm. Well, we never actually watch things like NBC or FOX as broadcast; the shows we like are on at inconvenient times. So we watch them on the weekends on nbc.com (or the iPad app) -- can a blu-ray player stream from places like nbc.com?

Thanks, Bill!

It is a question of licensing. We too can get the NBC app on the iPad, but there is no NBC app for streaming on a TV, whether Blu-ray, Roku or Apple TV (to the best of my knowledge, but I could be wrong). There is no technical reason these devices could not stream these. But computers (iPads included) have different rules for licensing than TVs.

There are even thugs we can get on "computer" (like Simpsons on Hulu) that we can not get on iPad. It gets complicated.

Bill

It is a question of licensing. We too can get the NBC app on the iPad, but there is no NBC app for streaming on a TV, whether Blu-ray, Roku or Apple TV (to the best of my knowledge, but I could be wrong). There is no technical reason these devices could not stream these. But computers (iPads included) have different rules for licensing than TVs.

There are even thugs we can get on "computer" (like Simpsons on Hulu) that we can not get on iPad. It gets complicated.

Bill

Oh. Hmmmm, that could be a deal-breaker all around. Thanks for that heads-up -- I'm really glad to know that!

Oh. Hmmmm, that could be a deal-breaker all around. Thanks for that heads-up -- I'm really glad to know that!

But...much of the NBC content can be had on TV through HuluPlus for $8 a month. And they have FOX and ABC shows too.

Bill

We have a Blu-Ray player that streams, but VASTLY prefer our Roku over it. Redbox doesn't do online rentals, but often Amazon has the movie we want for something like $4 for 48 hours. For me, that's worth it because if I am tired I can pause and finish it the next night. Also, I'm really lazy/bad about returning Redbox, so the fact that I don't have to return Amazon rentals is awesome.

My husband has entertained the idea of an AppleTV for our other TV because we have a fair amount if Apple devices, but he has yet to take the plunge.

We have a roku box. We did upgrade our modem and router, but those needed it anyway. We got rid of cable and it's nice to be able to watch shows on a TV versus a laptop. There are also some other free channels on roku, I haven't explored them all.

Wait, what kinds of shows do you watch on the roku? Current stuff, or past seasons?

I think I'm leaning toward the Blu-Ray, since I think it will serve us better in the long run. But it'll depend on whether or not we also want to pay $8 a month for HuluPlus service. Buying either a box or the Blu-Ray player seems like a lot of money for only the occasional movie if we are still watching TV shows on the desktop.

Decisions, decisions. Thanks for the input, everyone!

Do you listen to Pandora? Anything like that? Our BluRay streams that, as well. I still prefer the Apple TV over the BluRay - basically the only reason I use the Blu Ray is for Amazon or Pandora (or DVDs, of course). But our watching habits may differ from yours. :)

Good luck!

Do you listen to Pandora? Anything like that? Our BluRay streams that, as well. I still prefer the Apple TV over the BluRay - basically the only reason I use the Blu Ray is for Amazon or Pandora (or DVDs, of course). But our watching habits may differ from yours. :)

Good luck!

I don't, but that's nice to know. The Amazon movie rental thing is a big draw for me, though, so I'm leaning toward a BluRay, if I do anything.

I don't, but that's nice to know. The Amazon movie rental thing is a big draw for me, though, so I'm leaning toward a BluRay, if I do anything.

Yes - we rent movies a lot, too. You might want to compare prices between iTunes movie rentals and Amazon movie rentals, and maybe compare their selections. I *think* we tend to rent more on iTunes, but that may be because I forget to check Amazon on the Blu-Ray. I think the rentals might be a bit cheaper on Amazon, too. iTunes only gives 24 hours to watch a movie once you start it - though you have 30 days to start watching. That's another thing to consider. Amazon seems to give one a bit longer.

To muddy it up more - if you have an iTunes account for your music (or have ever purchased movies/shows)... all of ours plays through the Apple TV from the cloud. Which is kind of nice. But not an issue if you don't have an iTunes account already.

Oh! Did you say you have shows you like to watch on the iPad? Not sure when they added the mirroring feature to iPad, if it's on the iPad 2, but with ours, we can play whatever is on our iPad on the AppleTV. So that might solve the issue of apps that will play certain shows you like on regular broadcast TV but are not available for streaming via the blu-ray, roku, or apple TV.

I'm not terribly helpful, as my DH is the tech monkey in our house, and he sets this all up for us. I just use it happily. I know the mirroring thing is how we watched the Super Bowl. :)

Apple TV won't play amazon videos so that is a downside, but you can send shows from the NBC app on your ipad to the apple tv and watch them on a tv. It should work with the other station apps as well.

That's what I was hoping re: station apps. But hmmm, I really am still unsure. :) Still thinking -- thanks!

As an added bonus you can use the Apple TV to mirror educational apps, which is great for homeschooling. We use it all the time.

I wonder if you would be able to mirror the Amazon app to watch Amazon videos on the Apple TV. I haven't tried, so I don't know...just a thought.

Love our Roku! We purchased one of the original Rokus, upgraded to HD when we purchased a new TV, and are considering getting a new model, but only because it has the one feature I've always wanted, a headphone jack in the remote control. :D

We don't use them, but occasionally a private channel pops up that offers OTA programming, I haven't seen any that are good quality though.

Love our Roku! We purchased one of the original Rokus, upgraded to HD when we purchased a new TV, and are considering getting a new model, but only because it has the one feature I've always wanted, a headphone jack in the remote control. :D

We don't use them, but occasionally a private channel pops up that offers OTA programming, I haven't seen any that are good quality though.

What does a Roku box give you that a "smart TV" or "smart Blu-Ray player" does not?

Bill

What does a Roku box give you that a "smart TV" or "smart Blu-Ray player" does not?

Bill

Aside from the fact that I've already got the best cheap Blu-ray I could find and am not in the market: Interface. There's a special circle in hell for those who program "smart" UIs and their remotes. Also Roku will keep updating both its UI and the individual apps even when the unit is no longer being manufactured.

So, with interface in mind, look at this remote:

Roku-3_REMOTE_WITH_HEADPHONES.jpg

It has changed very little in the four or five years since we purchased our first Roku. The emphasis is on simplicity and usability.

Here's the remote very similar to that of my Blu-ray player

862fce0a-b358-4e3c-8c3a-7f49cacaec95.jpg

I still cannot figure out how to bring up subtitles using the remote, and I'm not a person who shies from a technical challenge.

Also, mine is a bit older, but it's had audio synching issues with streaming video. I've never had a problem with the Roku.

Aside from the fact that I've already got the best cheap Blu-ray I could find and am not in the market: Interface. There's a special circle in hell for those who program "smart" UIs and their remotes. Also Roku will keep updating both its UI and the individual apps even when the unit is no longer being manufactured.

So, with interface in mind, look at this remote:

Roku-3_REMOTE_WITH_HEADPHONES.jpg

It has changed very little in the four or five years since we purchased our first Roku. The emphasis is on simplicity and usability.

Here's the remote very similar to that of my Blu-ray player

862fce0a-b358-4e3c-8c3a-7f49cacaec95.jpg

I still cannot figure out how to bring up subtitles using the remote, and I'm not a person who shies from a technical challenge.

Also, mine is a bit older, but it's had audio synching issues with streaming video. I've never had a problem with the Roku.

That Blu-Ray remote looks like our model.

I would not give Panasonic any interface awards, we usually use the Panasonic "smart TV" (Viera) remote for streaming, but (while it ain't no Apple product) I've never had an issue using it to stream video.

Bill

I have Apple TV and really love it. We have satellite internet and are able to live stream Netflix surprisingly well, and in HD (of course I have a limit to how much I can watch per month). It's quite user-friendly, as I find all Apple products to be.

Update: I opted for a streaming BluRay player, and so far, it's great. Very easy to use Netflix on it, as well as amazon. What tipped us over the edge was that we realized we could stop buying actual DVDs (which get scratched) and buy digital copies of the movies we wanted, so they can be watched via the streaming BluRay player, the amazon app on the iPad, or the desktop machine in our schoolroom.

And of course, it plays BluRay discs nicely too. Thanks for bringing this to my attention -- I had no idea it was even possible!

I downloaded the TV SideView app but am still trying to figure it out.

For watching TV, we have started using Aereo. It delivers all the broadcast channels plus a few other things, like Bloomberg, through your wifi and works with Roku and Apple TV. Also lets you record while you watch, or record two shows at a time. It's coming to more areas. Skitter is similar.

Another thing to watch out for is Apple TV -- not the little box, but a big TV. Apple is pretty secretive about it -- I am wondering if it is some kind of Internet TV.