Menu

need ideas for alternative to "history"

DD is asking to do something other than "history." Last year she studied American history with a focus on modern times. This year it is Ancients through the Renaissance. She is in angst over doing those again since, "We just did all that." I explained that is all there is to history: ancients, the middle period, and now. LOL!

I was thinking of taking a break from our chronological study and having a year of geography. She hasn't had much of that. Yes, we've colored maps every year. But, she's never learned all the other geography stuff.

Runkle looks interesting. Mapping the World by Heart looks interesting. It would be nice to include cultural studies from a Christian worldview. It would be nice to have literature match.

Separately, I was digging around on Ambleside Online, and their Year 8 term 2 and 3 and Year 9 look like history my child hasn't had as much depth with. So, I could probably sell that for history.

Would it be overkill to do both geography and AO history/literature?

I would take a look at Mapping the World *with Art* if you're interested in Mapping the World by Heart. I have both and the with Art one is far superior (in fact it is what I was hoping the by Heart one was going to be and wasn't). Both are on a middle school level.

Geography Alive! is an excellent text, though I haven't used anything other than the text. It is intended for 8th/9th grade.

Another way to go might be to do more of a big history approach, meaning focusing on themes in history rather than the details. The book Ways of the World is wonderful for this. It can be done over two years or in one year. It has primary source materials integrated into the text. It is marketed as a college level book but a high school student with a strong history background would have no trouble with it.

And one last possibility would be to do a history of whatever-interests-her course. We did a year of history of science and it was great.

What grade is your dd in? She will likely need American Government and Economics in high school which would take her off the history path. A year of cultural geography would be great also. I have and like Runkle, but it's more of a physical geography course -- more like earth science than social studies. We've also used (and like) Mapping the World by Heart, but it's a skeletal framework that needs to be completely fleshed out with a spine or other books to make a complete and interesting course. I think BJU has a culutural geography course. I haven't used it, but have perused it in a book store.

Lisa

Maybe this would work for you? http://www.heartofda...php?f=6&t=12933

It's in the process of being developed for this fall. Below is a link showing how the author will be including Mapping the World with Art into the Geography credit.

http://www.heartofda...php?f=6&t=13295

I like the sneak peeks! I have never used HOD. It looks like this will be the core, which may be more than I need. Can their cores be used just as a course?

I also am looking at BJU Cultural Geography. I really like the look of it too!

My dd is an avid reader, so I could combine either of these with a literature program (HOD lists BJU, which I like) and add some of the travel readers from Ambleside Online.

How would that work with HOD?

Anyone who has used the BJU geography course, the Mapping the World by Art or Runkle, can you post a comparison? I like Runkle because it teaches physical geography. But, it needs to have supplements with political and social/economic geography.