Menu

When will I start to love 'Things Fall Apart'?

Laura Corin

My daughter read that book for English last fall. I'd have to say she was only "mildly interested" in it, too. :) The students had to write a character study of the main character, and it was kind of fun for her to analyze him (because he wasn't the brightest or most logical guy on the planet), but neither she nor I thought of it as an exceptional book. I think the biggest selling point was the exotic-ness of it.

It isn't meant to be a book you love, really.

I like the book. Its on my list of 25 books which influenced the way I think about things. I think it helps that I'm a Christian, and I read it after a missionary bio like Bruchko and after Conrad's Heart of Darkness. Its important to see different angles to European "exploration" and colonialism. For that reason I consider it a very important book, much in the same way that The Good Earth or Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee are important books.

I HATE THAT BOOK

I am yelling. Cause I hate it sooo much. It would take three, maybe four (if you use very flowery language), sentences to convey the entire point of the book. Which is decidedly NOT to be a pleasant read. Not enjoyable, not enlightening.

:) I totally agree.

No likey.

I read it once in high school, then again several months ago. "Surely," I thought, "there has to be something great about that book and the only reason I didn't like it in high school was because I was young and too immature to appreciate it," Nope, still don't like it.

Now The Good Earth... :001_wub: Love that one!

I thought it was a very good book, but I sure didn't love it. The main themes, IMO, are about how the main character responds to changes in tradition within his culture, his struggle to adapt--or not--and his concern with reputation. He is very unlikeable to me!