Menu

Do you, could you, or would you ever home educate someone else's children?

MiniBlondes

Do you, could you, or would you ever home educate someone else's children?  

126 members have voted

1. 1. Do you, could you, or would you ever home educate someone else's children?

• Legally I can't and I wouldn't anyway. (explain?)
    • Legally I can't but I would if I could.
    • Legally I can but I don't want to. (explain?)
    • Legally I can and I'd consider it. (explain?)
    • I might consider it for a close family member or friend.
    • I have done it in the past and would do it again.
    • I have done it in the past and would never do it again.
    • I am doing it right now.
    • I'd do it for a price.
    • Other

I don't think I legally could, I'm not sure. But I think you could get around it by childminding the child and following something educational with them. I wouldn't do it for a non family member child. Well maybe at a push I would do it for a very close friend for a very short time say to cover an extended illness. I think you need a very close relationship to make it work and I just wouldn't have it with a kid I didn't know inside out.

I'm legally allowed to. Never have...have had some questions about it, but not too serious.

I would only do it if they were the same level as my kids and we got along VERY well. And I controlled what was taught/bought.

I find it doubtful it would ever happen, but I'd be open to it. Possibly.

Well, I am done with homeschooling in less than three years so I guess I could do it then. I have no idea if it is legal in this state- probably if the church school approved. But I would either do it for a good bit of pay or I could see homeschooling grandkids. I would not do it with my own kid still being homeschooled. I did get asked once and was happy that I was in a state that I couldn't do it anyway. Not that I would have said yes but it was easier to blame the law.

I am. (See my sig.)

I feel that it only works because the relationship between our family and the other family works very well between all members. It is more out of love and concern for a specific child that I do it. I have come to the conclusion that I have to love you to homeschool you.

Just my opinion in my situation. YMMV.

I believe that in my state I cannot homeschoo someone ele's children unless i were considered a "private tutor" and I'm not sure if I could do that without a teacher certificate... but even if it were legal, I would not do it unless LARGE amounts of money were flowing my way, AND it fit in pefectly with what my own children were already doing.

And they packed lunches and brought food for all of us. LOL!

We are legally allowed to in our state. Many years ago I did for a family member with very serious extenuating circumstances. Never, never again. It was one of the most stressful, difficult experiences of my life. Not the kid, mind you. He was a great kid dealing with a difficult set of circumstances, and I really thought I could help. The problem was his mother. She undercut me at every turn. After my experience, I strongly believe that homeschooling another person's child is a situation that is fraught with "boundary issues".

I would not, could not, in a box.

I could not, would not, with a fox.

I will not school them with a mouse

I will not school them in a house.

I will not school them here or there.

I will not school them anywhere.

ETC!!!!

For all the reasons already stated. Honestly, I don't intrinsically like homeschooling. But I love my children. So I homeschool them. I don't love any other children that way!

This just about sums up my feelings perfectly! :lol:

I will say that I do like homeschooling, but I do not like the constant internal pressure that is (for my personality at least) a natural side effect of being wholly responsible for the education of my kids. I can only imagine that feeling of pressure would be profoundly exacerbated if I were to homeschool kids who weren't mine.

We just moved and I'm not sure the laws/rules for hs'ing someone else's kids but I am seriously considering doing it for my niece and nephew they are flunking out of public school, 16 year old nephew cuts class more than he shows up I'd be happy to tie him to a chair and school him before he fully wrecks his future.

I have been thinking about things I could do to "help" without fostering (not sure about adopting "one more."). And it would be nice to have a little bit of pay. I love homeschooling (learning myself, learning more about teaching, etc). I have two families in mind that I feel bad about their circumstances. Of course, I don't know if they are interested. I kinda like the idea of doing it for someone in our religion. I would like it to be a child who is similar level of my children, particularly the boys (probably K-2nd, possibly preK or 3rd). Of course, then it has to be someone who agrees with our methods/philosophy as I'm not willing to change it.

Anyway, it is a consideration.