Menu

Anyone have experience with Latent Autoimmune Diabetes in Adults (LADA)

TeaTotaler

I have a history of chronic autoimmune issues but was hit with a diagnosis last Friday that I was not expecting. I had my blood work done a week ago and met with my doc for my annual exam etc. She told me that I was pre-diabetic and would soon be classified as having Latent Autoimmune Diabetes (LADA). HereĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s how Wikipedia describes it:

Latent autoimmune diabetes of adults (LADA), sometimes called diabetes type 1.5, is a concept introduced in 1993 to describe slow-onset type 1 autoimmune diabetes in adults. Adults with LADA are often initially misdiagnosed as having type 2 diabetes, based on age, not etiology. LADA is a genetically-linked, hereditary autoimmune disorder that results in the body mistaking the pancreas as foreign and responding by attacking and destroying the insulin-producing beta islet cells of the pancreas.

My Hemoglobin A1c was 6 and according to the doctor a 6.5 would be classified as diabetic.

She ordered more bloodwork including the G.A.D. test which will reveal the level of Glutamic acid decarboxylase (GAD) autoantibodies which are commonly found in diabetes mellitus type 1. If the test is negative she wants to do a glucose tolerance test.

At this point, I am mostly in research mode trying to make sense of it all. Because my father has a history of Type 2 diabetes I have tried to be careful about diet and exercise my whole life Ă¢â‚¬â€œ so this came as a complete shock. I am 5Ă¢â‚¬â„¢1 and weigh about 118 pds. I didnĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t know one could develop Type 1 or a sub-type of it as an adult.

The scary part of all this Ă¢â‚¬â€œ I was diagnosed with a degenerative eye disease about 1.5 years ago and my vision is slowly deteriorating. If the two are somehow linked, it doesnĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t bode well for the rate of its progress.

If you have any experience with this, would you share. I meet with the doctor again in 3 weeks to go over treatment options. On a humorous note, the nurse at the office was new. When we first met she verified that I was the patient because she could not believe I was going to be 52 in a week. I guess she couldnĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t see my gray strands. :-) IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢d rather have a body that wasnĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t falling apart than look young!!

Thanks in advance.

P.S. I cut and pasted this from a Word document - so I hope the formatting doesn't go crazy.

I'm not sure how she would be able to classify you as LADA without anitbody tests? You can become type 2 even if you are of normal weight and some people stay pre-diabetic and don't pass over into DM type 2.

Do you take any type of steroidi n the past 3-4 mos for your other autoimmune ds? If so, that can definitely elevate your glucose levels and your Hgb A1C.

I wouldn't worry about it too much until you get the results of your antibody test back.

I hope everything is fine!

I guess she was basing it on my history and other symptoms. It has been many years since I've taken steriods. I react poorly to them so I have stayed away from them.

So, if the GAD is negative, what does that mean?

I'll try not to worry :-)

I'm not sure how she would be able to classify you as LADA without anitbody tests? You can become type 2 even if you are of normal weight and some people stay pre-diabetic and don't pass over into DM type 2.

Do you take any type of steroidi n the past 3-4 mos for your other autoimmune ds? If so, that can definitely elevate your glucose levels and your Hgb A1C.

I wouldn't worry about it too much until you get the results of your antibody test back.

I hope everything is fine!

If the GAD is negative then your doctor will do the glucose tolerance test to see how you are reacting to sugar loads. IF your numbers are high during this test, she may opt for more drug treatment over just lifestyle changes.

If your GAD is negative she will probably classify you as prediabetic. She may want you to start metformin to prevent actual diabetes from occurring. Staying at a healthy weight and eating a diet with less than 100 grams is good (for me eating <100 grams is very difficult). Walking or any other aerobic exercise 30 minutes 5 x week is also wonderful. 30 minutes of aerobic exercise will stabilize your glucose levels for 48 hrs!

Thanks for your replies. Today has been a long day. I called the doctor's office early this morning and they had my results back. However the doc needed to sign off before they could call me. At 4.15 pm I called again and they said that they were aware I was waiting for the results but they would get back to me as soon as they could. I hope it is some time tomorrow. I've been quite distracted today and really don't want to spend another day like this. i asked if they could at least tell me if my G.A.D. test was positive or negative without going into all the details of the other blood work but they couldn't. I don't have a good feeling about this.

If you are inclined, would you pray for peace while I wait to hear back. I suppose I could plan meals for Easter weekend when family will visit....

Thanks so much.

If the GAD is negative then your doctor will do the glucose tolerance test to see how you are reacting to sugar loads. IF your numbers are high during this test, she may opt for more drug treatment over just lifestyle changes.

If your GAD is negative she will probably classify you as prediabetic. She may want you to start metformin to prevent actual diabetes from occurring. Staying at a healthy weight and eating a diet with less than 100 grams is good (for me eating <100 grams is very difficult). Walking or any other aerobic exercise 30 minutes 5 x week is also wonderful. 30 minutes of aerobic exercise will stabilize your glucose levels for 48 hrs!

Sorry for being dense. You eat less than 100 grams of..?? I will continue my usual exercise routine of 45 mins 4-5 times a week and look into modifying my diet even more.

Thanks.

Sorry for being dense. You eat less than 100 grams of..?? I will continue my usual exercise routine of 45 mins 4-5 times a week and look into modifying my diet even more.

Thanks.

Not Michelle, but she means grams of carbohydrates.

Oh my goodness! You just can't catch a break! And it's completely crazy how long the doctor's office is keeping you waiting. If I were you, I'd be at their door tomorrow morning when they open and say you're going to stay there until you get some answers.

I am just so, so sorry to hear this. I would have responded sooner, but I was at a speech and debate tournament for the last five days.

Our experience was more typical with the Type 1 in my dd being diagnosed at age 12. I actually don't have any answers or suggestions at all for you : (.

But you are right that it might be a bad combination with your eye condition : (. Please keep us posted.

I never heard of this LADA, but my dad was a thin type 2 diabetic, and it's obviously hereditary in my family.

Until you hear otherwise, I'd assume pre-diabetes/insulin resistance and I'd look at low-carb/high-fat diets, which I wish we (my family) knew about decades ago. Good luck!!

Any updates?

A friend's dh was diagnosed as type 2 because of age, turns out he really had type 1. It took years of horrible health problems, and really bad medicine, before someone finally realized it. I'm glad your doc is one that realizes you can't call it type 2 just because of age! It sounds as if your doc is doing everything she can to make an accurate diagnosis.

Update: My GAD came back negative. When I posted earlier about lab results being back - those were some other tests the doc had asked for like Ferritin levels, and others related to menopause. The GAD was sent to another lab which needed 5-7 days for results to be sent back.

I spent a frustrating afternoon trying to get a glucose tolerance test scheduled which my doc ordered. Mostly miscommunication between front office staff at the doc's office and the hospital where the test will be done. Not exactly how I wanted to spend my 52nd birthday - it was a frustrating day all around for a variety of reasons. My sweet dh baked me my traditional birthday dessert of cream puffs while I was walking on the treadmill in our basement.:-) I suppose this may be the last time I enjoy this tradition. We had a house full of family for 4 days over Easter and I realized how different our family gatherings will be if I have to cut back on carbs.

So, I have the glucose tolerance test scheduled for tomorrow. At this point, I am mostly confused because I don't seem to fit the profile for Type 1, Type 2 or Type 1.5. Although I did read on a Diabetes forum that one can test negative for GAD but test positve down the road.

I did purchase a carb counter book. Do you have any other books, resources you would recommend to a pre-diabetic? I don't see the doc for a couple of weeks but I'd like to read up on things so that I can ask more informed questions. I don't know if I should ask for a referral to an endocrinologist.

Would you pray that the medical professionals and I would be able to figure out what is going on. If you have any thoughts to share, I'd love to hear them.

Thanks.

:grouphug: I hope the problem with the scheduling on the GTT gets all straightened out. How frustrating.

Are you on medications? Some medications cause your blood sugar to rise. I just stopped one medication and it brought my blood sugar down 20 points once I wasn't on it!

The only meds I am on is a generic version of Benadryl for my allergies. I also take a mutlivitamin, Fish Oil capsules, Vit D.

I did get the appt straightened out by late evening - I go in tomorrow morning.

I am not familiar with this but have been trying to read about autoimmune diseases. Have you heard of the Paleo Autoimmune Protocol? Just wondered if it might help. Ignore this if it isn't helpful. I'm so sorry for your news.

I have been reading up on Paleo diets for the past several months and have been trying some recipes from library books. I have slowly been weaning myself off bread (esp my comfort food of Tea and Toast). :-(

Have you purchased any books, cookbooks? Any favorites?

I have been reading up on Paleo diets for the past several months and have been trying some recipes from library books. I have slowly been weaning myself off bread (esp my comfort food of Tea and Toast). :-(

Have you purchased any books, cookbooks? Any favorites?

Paleomom has a 30 day menu with shopping lists planned. I am seriously thinking this is the way my family will go. IMO it is really hard to wean off of bread or sugar or dairy. It is like weaning off of drugs to some degree in that it is in its own way addictive so even a tad bit makes a person crave it desperately. For me it has to be all or nothing or I quickly start wanting it daily again. You may find you have to empty out the cabinets.

The Gut and Psychological Syndrome book is worth reading whether or not you ever do GAPS. It is the best one I have read yet.

Update: My GAD came back negative. When I posted earlier about lab results being back - those were some other tests the doc had asked for like Ferritin levels, and others related to menopause. The GAD was sent to another lab which needed 5-7 days for results to be sent back.

I spent a frustrating afternoon trying to get a glucose tolerance test scheduled which my doc ordered. Mostly miscommunication between front office staff at the doc's office and the hospital where the test will be done. Not exactly how I wanted to spend my 52nd birthday - it was a frustrating day all around for a variety of reasons. My sweet dh baked me my traditional birthday dessert of cream puffs while I was walking on the treadmill in our basement.:-) I suppose this may be the last time I enjoy this tradition. We had a house full of family for 4 days over Easter and I realized how different our family gatherings will be if I have to cut back on carbs.

So, I have the glucose tolerance test scheduled for tomorrow. At this point, I am mostly confused because I don't seem to fit the profile for Type 1, Type 2 or Type 1.5. Although I did read on a Diabetes forum that one can test negative for GAD but test positve down the road.

I did purchase a carb counter book. Do you have any other books, resources you would recommend to a pre-diabetic? I don't see the doc for a couple of weeks but I'd like to read up on things so that I can ask more informed questions. I don't know if I should ask for a referral to an endocrinologist.

Would you pray that the medical professionals and I would be able to figure out what is going on. If you have any thoughts to share, I'd love to hear them.

Thanks.

Will definitely pray. Are you experiencing any symptoms at all? I'd be interested to see how the glucose tolerance test comes back.

If you are still swirling in uncertainty after that, I would try the endocrinologist. Perhaps he/she could cut through the fog for you.

Soooooo bummed that you are having to deal with One. More. Thing.

TeaTotarel, I am so sorry you have entered the world of "we can't figure this out" medicine. I hope yours comes to a quick end and there will be some agreement that is close to what you actually have and a treatment plan that is optimal for your actual condition can be devised.

I did want to chime in that many autoimmune issues first start out with no positive blood work but as time goes on, more and more bloodwork becomes positive.

I will pray for you.

Update: good news! I had my oral glucose tolerance test this morning - the results were normal. My fasting glucose was 92 and 2 hours post glucose solution it was 102. I am still confused about the A1c of 6. The nurse said that the doctor just wants to wait and see how things progress without any intervention at this time. I plan to still keep my follow up appt with her scheduled later this month to go over the results and ask questions.

I guess I'm relieved but also don't know how to interpret the A1c level. I will work on cleaning up my diet further and continue exercising but don't know what else to do. I want to continue being vigilant because I still have autoimmune issues as well as the degenerative eye disease.

Are there other questions you think I need to be asking my doc?

Thanks again for all your support, encouragement and prayers.

Update: good news! I had my oral glucose tolerance test this morning - the results were normal. My fasting glucose was 92 and 2 hours post glucose solution it was 102. I am still confused about the A1c of 6. The nurse said that the doctor just wants to wait and see how things progress without any intervention at this time. I plan to still keep my follow up appt with her scheduled later this month to go over the results and ask questions.

I guess I'm relieved but also don't know how to interpret the A1c level. I will work on cleaning up my diet further and continue exercising but don't know what else to do. I want to continue being vigilant because I still have autoimmune issues as well as the degenerative eye disease.

Are there other questions you think I need to be asking my doc?

Thanks again for all your support, encouragement and prayers.

Glad to see those numbers! I don't know how to interpret the A1C either, because a 6 would be mucho fantastico for our Type 1. Her last A1C was 6.8 or 6.9, which the doctors are happy with. They are not quite as happy if it edges up over 7. So, I don't know what is considered "normal."

Based on those great numbers, I would probably just try to keep carbs to a manageable level and eat them with a meal--eat a reasonable piece of cake at the end of supper, not three hours later by itself.

And if I were you I would mention this near-miss to the doctor who monitors your eye condition, and possibly check that a little more often.

But, whew, at least you don't have to go all out with some kind of carb war.

A few of you mentioned a Paleo and I have been trying to read up on it for several months. I read the first few chaps of the Hartwig book at a bookstore and have it on hold at the library - with several ahead of me. Is it worth buying? Also is the Kindle version formatted well?

Interestingly, I looked through the pile of mail yesterday and the latest issue of Nutrition Action was in the stack. They had an article on the Paleo diet by a Prof of ecology, evolution and behavior at the Univ of MN. It was not a positive article :-) Below a pix of the book of Practical Paleo it says "With little or no evidence, the book promises to help people with Alzheimer's Parkinson's, cancer, MS, chronic fatigue, autoimmune conditions and more." Below a pix of Robb Wolf's bk Paleo Solution diet, it says "Our ancestors may have eaten lean meat, bu the recipes in many Paleo books call for ground beef and pork, lamb, sausage, bacon, and other fatty meats."

Any thoughts about this? I am not a huge meat eater so I think this will be a huge change for me. Our family eats a varied diet of veggies, meat, beans and grains.

LOL about the carb war. I think I've been grieving the loss of carbs over the past couple of weeks. I'll still be careful but at least I don't have to watch every morsel I eat. I was wondering if I would need to pack a cooler of food for the Cincy convention!!

I see my eye doc in August so I will mention it to him. There is definitely a deterioration even from my last appt so I'll keep close tabs on it.

Thanks.

Glad to see those numbers! I don't know how to interpret the A1C either, because a 6 would be mucho fantastico for our Type 1. Her last A1C was 6.8 or 6.9, which the doctors are happy with. They are not quite as happy if it edges up over 7. So, I don't know what is considered "normal."

Based on those great numbers, I would probably just try to keep carbs to a manageable level and eat them with a meal--eat a reasonable piece of cake at the end of supper, not three hours later by itself.

And if I were you I would mention this near-miss to the doctor who monitors your eye condition, and possibly check that a little more often.

But, whew, at least you don't have to go all out with some kind of carb war.

LOL about the carb war. I think I've been grieving the loss of carbs over the past couple of weeks. I'll still be careful but at least I don't have to watch every morsel I eat. I was wondering if I would need to pack a cooler of food for the Cincy convention!!

I see my eye doc in August so I will mention it to him. There is definitely a deterioration even from my last appt so I'll keep close tabs on it.

Thanks.

Glad you don't have to give them up altogether!

Yes, it would be a good idea to mention to the eye doc. Such a bummer that your vision is deteriorating sharply : (.

I read your previous post also. I dunno, I'm not sure that if I were you I would just up my meat intake that drastically. In your situation, I would kind of watch my grains a bit and make sure they weren't waaaaay up there.

Your A1c is just a snapshot of history of the last 90 days, it measures the surface of the blood for proteins and sugars related to degenrative effects of diabetes. It's an average. You may have had two fantastic months, one bad one that threw them all off, or you may have been a steady six during the last three..who knows?

If you need to move forward with diet changes, remember that no one food list is going to be right for any two people. Even if you eat super clear, your food sensitive items can change from one day to the next.

There would be absolutely no harm in reading up on diabetes care now, as far as routine maintenance and exams. They are a step above what is regular, but there's no harm only better habits to get into. Foot care, eye care, monitoring...it wouldn't hurt you a bit to get an OTC monitor now and check your bodies reaction to specific carbs or food groups. You just do a little poke about two hours post meal and see how your body is handling it- there are various schedules for checking pre meal, post meal and different points during the day.

Some people FEEL increases or decreases in glucose, some don't. That is the dangerous and tricky part. We see swings here from the top numbers of near 270 (before meds, and that was fasting, geeeee! I can't even imagine what it was post meal..) and lows at 60.

Would I get in a car with someone measuring at 60? Uh. NO. You can run the risk of coma, passing out - the same with the very high numbers.

Mood changes can be directly in line with out of range numbers. This is also a huge benefit to knowing what you are running at. Super crabby? Take a test. If you are low, you can adjust your intake pronto and stave off the crash. Same with a high. You learn how to counteract. You learn what to avoid. I'd no more serve mashed potatoes than serve him lighter fluid in a glass. Some foods become poisonous, other ones are your buddies. You can't identify which foods, what portions, what times to eat them unless you experiment and follow up pre/post with simple monitor tests.

With your eye health history, I really encourage you to find a specialist now (*justincase*) - and the endocrinologist as well. There's no harm in learning your glucose load now. Just test now and then, see how you are doing, change it up if you need to. They are not expensive, most monitors are free, it's the strips that cost the most.

Take a look at Walgreens when you go just to get a feel of the expense, it's not that bad at all.

Even more motivation? Make a unit study of it. Sure, you could make a science credit out of it, or a health unit. :)

Good luck with however it all unfolds for you, sugar maintenance and food are really some far out lands.

The other thing I meant to mention is for us here, it was impressed strongly, that the number one thing to do is eat on time, same time, every single day. He doesn't miss any meals and the world comes to a halt to make sure of it happening like clockwork.

It's a big deal. Same time, every.single.day.no.matter.what.

Your A1c is just a snapshot of history of the last 90 days, it measures the surface of the blood for proteins and sugars related to degenrative effects of diabetes. It's an average. You may have had two fantastic months, one bad one that threw them all off, or you may have been a steady six during the last three..who knows?

If you need to move forward with diet changes, remember that no one food list is going to be right for any two people. Even if you eat super clear, your food sensitive items can change from one day to the next.

There would be absolutely no harm in reading up on diabetes care now, as far as routine maintenance and exams. They are a step above what is regular, but there's no harm only better habits to get into. Foot care, eye care, monitoring...it wouldn't hurt you a bit to get an OTC monitor now and check your bodies reaction to specific carbs or food groups. You just do a little poke about two hours post meal and see how your body is handling it- there are various schedules for checking pre meal, post meal and different points during the day.

Some people FEEL increases or decreases in glucose, some don't. That is the dangerous and tricky part. We see swings here from the top numbers of near 270 (before meds, and that was fasting, geeeee! I can't even imagine what it was post meal..) and lows at 60.

Would I get in a car with someone measuring at 60? Uh. NO. You can run the risk of coma, passing out - the same with the very high numbers.

Mood changes can be directly in line with out of range numbers. This is also a huge benefit to knowing what you are running at. Super crabby? Take a test. If you are low, you can adjust your intake pronto and stave off the crash. Same with a high. You learn how to counteract. You learn what to avoid. I'd no more serve mashed potatoes than serve him lighter fluid in a glass. Some foods become poisonous, other ones are your buddies. You can't identify which foods, what portions, what times to eat them unless you experiment and follow up pre/post with simple monitor tests.

With your eye health history, I really encourage you to find a specialist now (*justincase*) - and the endocrinologist as well. There's no harm in learning your glucose load now. Just test now and then, see how you are doing, change it up if you need to. They are not expensive, most monitors are free, it's the strips that cost the most.

Take a look at Walgreens when you go just to get a feel of the expense, it's not that bad at all.

Even more motivation? Make a unit study of it. Sure, you could make a science credit out of it, or a health unit. :)

Good luck with however it all unfolds for you, sugar maintenance and food are really some far out lands.

This is all very good stuff. I know one*mom IRL, and she is good people, not to mention thorough. (She makes me look like a total slacker in research.) She has been adjusting to helping her DH with Type 2 the last six months or so, and before diagnosis, that sucker was causing some crazy symptoms. She's gone through a lot and educates herself. Honestly, I've wished more than once that you two could meet. I think you would be outwardly different but soon find yourselves simpatico.

Anyhoo, I consider one*mom to be a very reliable source of information on this topic.

Also, her discussion of the A1C (which I now always get confused with the first speech in a debate called the 1AC), reminded me of a point that I forgot to mention.

While the A1C is meant to be an "average" of the previous 2-3 months, it is heavily weighted toward the near end. Parents on Type 1 discussion boards joke about the Murphy's Law of their child's blood sugar going crazy high for no reason right before a doctor's appointment, thus artificially skewing the results. So the A1C is not the be-all and end-all. It may not truly represent your average over time.

One*mom's idea of procuring a meter and checking your blood sugar once in a while is a good one. It would cut down a lot on the guess-work of how your body is handling carbs.

The other thing I meant to mention is for us here, it was impressed strongly, that the number one thing to do is eat on time, same time, every single day. He doesn't miss any meals and the world comes to a halt to make sure of it happening like clockwork.

It's a big deal. Same time, every.single.day.no.matter.what.

Interesting. Our doctor has been very strict on saying that DD can't *skip* meals, and we do typically have a fairly regular routine, but we are not religious about it ; ).

This has proven tricky at speech and debate tournaments this year, where the days are long and times to eat are rushed at best. DD was trying to help out and time some rounds where she was not competing this last tournament and ended up getting her dinner very rushed and 3 hrs late. She handled it responsibly, checking her blood sugar before she went to time, and taking a couple of cheese sticks with her, but it could have gone south. (I didn't know about it until too late to say no.) Of course her room ended up being one of the last to let out, and while her coach had saved her dinner and got it warmed up, I was concerned for DD and was waiting in the hall to make sure she was okay, even though I was supposed to be getting to a room to judge a debate round, which was stressful all around. I have put the kibosh on her "helping" like that again if it causes her to be way off on getting a meal.

So this reinforces my belief that I was right to be strict about not doing that scenario again. I told the coach that even though we had gotten away with it that time, it was super not a good idea and should not be repeated. (The poor coach doesn't know all of the ins and outs of Type 1 stuff, and she is just out of high school herself.)

Sorry for the hijack, TeaTotaler!

One*mom - thanks for the info. I got a stack of books about diabetes at the library yesterday. I've already ordered a carb counter book. I actually stopped by a store after my test today to see if I could just look at monitors and test strips but I couldn't find any. I didn't take time to ask somebody because I needed to get home, and eat some breakfast. Is this stuff available over the counter or do you need to ask a pharmacist. Is there a brand of monitor/strips that's better than others?

Yes, I will continue to educate myself and I will consider asking my doc for a referral to a specialist.

WTMCassandra - that wasn't a hijack. Any info is helpful.

One*mom - thanks for the info. I got a stack of books about diabetes at the library yesterday. I've already ordered a carb counter book. I actually stopped by a store after my test today to see if I could just look at monitors and test strips but I couldn't find any. I didn't take time to ask somebody because I needed to get home, and eat some breakfast. Is this stuff available over the counter or do you need to ask a pharmacist. Is there a brand of monitor/strips that's better than others?

Yes, I will continue to educate myself and I will consider asking my doc for a referral to a specialist.

WTMCassandra - that wasn't a hijack. Any info is helpful.

Most major brands of meters are available over the counter. I think any of them would work fine.

We use a Tru Test monitor and strips, you can get them at Walgreens easily enough. Be aware that not all monitors and strips are compatible. You have to buy the specific strip built for the specific monitor. It's all over the counter, no script is needed.

I think I've read every single printed book on diabetes. I just finished Bernsteins this week. He is very, very militarism in tone about the do's and do not's. One of the big things in your situation is the nerve degeneration issue, considering your eyes especially. Many people with diabetes relate to the sensation of tingling in the toes and fingers as a flag that somethings up and test. If you have anything like that going on, you'll want to take extra care. Don't wear shoes with thongs in them, don't get your nails done, spend the extra bucks on well constructed shoes, get them stretched if needed, don't remove calluses, avoid specific drying soaps, inspect your feet every single night or have someone do it for you. (I check DH's nightly)

Any wound, surface or skin has to be treated seriously, no matter how deep or minimal. Skin wounds do not heal for a diabetic like a normal person, and are the number one cause of amputation. This is why you must avoid anything that irritates your skin or dries it out, always wear gloves if there is a cleaning liquid or possible impact occurring (like gardening say..) - sunburn can also be a situation that gets out of hand quickly. Just takes a little forethought and planning, pitch out a few soaps and change your food shopping a little bit.

A person sensitive to food will have varying levels of tolerance - don't think of it as "all foods have to go under inspection" - most can have a *little* bit of everything, it's the portion control that is more important, but along the way you'll find that your body just won't tolerate specific ones. An example here is brown rice. The ADA (American Diabetic Association) promotes a very broad range of foods which include brown rice. We tried it and it was disaster. Another diabetic could try it and be fine with it.

Bernsteins book is also very cool and worthy in some sections where he details in a really macro kind of way the various fancy ways that food is labeled. He gives specific lists of shady terms on labels which are actually masking pharma sugars which in some cases can be more damaging than straight cane or fructose. Those lists alone are worth their weight in gold.

You can read it online for free if you want here: http://www.diabetes-book.com/

He does deal with more the type 1 than any other, and you are aware that there are different categories and DX for type, so keep this in mind while browsing or taking notes.

That is one of the most difficult things in learning about diabetes control is separating advice for different types and tolerances, advanced or minimal situations. When you are picking up books and learning, try to get a feel for which type they are addressing and adjust that wisdom for your situation.

DD uses a One-Touch UltraLink. Hers talks to her insulin pump, but you don't need that function. Her old one that doesn't talk to her pump is One-Touch Ultra II, which would work just fine for you. Yes, one*mom is right that you have to get specific test strips to match your pump.

One*mom is also right that fake sugars can be just as bad or worse than real ones. DD has to dose for any kind of sugar, so her doctor recommends not going for diet foods or fake sugar sweetened stuff. Better to have the real stuff but a reasonable amount.

One*mom's experience with brown sugar sending her DH crazy high is called a "trigger food" in the Type 1 world. This is where a particular food shoots you way up, more than it should. Each person's trigger foods can be different, although pizza is a common culprit. DD sometimes does shoot up with pizza.

Keep in mind that Type 1 and 2 are handled very differently clinically and in food habits.

In Type 1s, the stress is on eating normally but regularly, eating dessert WITH the dinner, for example, and eating a reasonable amount. The stress is on the marathon idea--if you introduce a lot of food rules, especially with children or adolescents, they refuse to manage their diabetes at all (which is disastrous).

Type 2s are more about modifying diet and behavior, with do's and don'ts. This is what most people think of when they think of diabetes.

So, I would recommend lifestyle changes that are gradual and don't feel too depriving, or you will get aggravated with the whole thing. If you did not have the complicating factor of the eyesight issues, I would probably recommend that you make no changes at all (I know you eat pretty healthy). However, the existing eyesight issues seem significant enough to warrant some extra caution; i.e., dialing back carbs a bit and pairing them with protein, as well as checking blood sugar levels once in a while.

The caution about injuries to the extremities is true--I don't allow DD to wear flip-flops. Sandals are a gray area and we don't wear them to "outdoorsy" events where she might be more likely to get a foot wound. We could probably be more pro-active about checking her feet but so far so good. We haven't seen issues with getting sunburned more easily, but that's interesting that one*mom's DH has seen that. These might not be big issues for you at the moment, especially the sunburn, since you have that lovely dark skin that rarely burns anyway (yes, I'm jealous).

And after giving it some thought, if I were you I would call your eye doc, explain the recent scare/uncertainty, coupled with you noticing significant deterioration, and ask to be seen earlier than August. August seems pretty far away. The eye doc might have some tips on how to maximize your situation.

ETA: Wow, I didn't know Bernstein's book existed! 64 years with Type 1! That got my attention. I'll be checking this out, although DD will probably be underwhelmed by suggesting a low-carb diet. I'll have to tread carefully there. Research queen for the win!

Thanks for the info. Earlier this week, I was reading reviews of Bernstein's book at Amazon and requested an older edition through ILL. I saw that it was online but reading a computer screen is hard on my eyes so I thought I'd check out the book from the library even though it was an older edition.

Yes, the tricky part is figuring out what applies to my situation, especially when I don't seem to fit the typical profile for the various categories of diabetes.

We use a Tru Test monitor and strips, you can get them at Walgreens easily enough. Be aware that not all monitors and strips are compatible. You have to buy the specific strip built for the specific monitor. It's all over the counter, no script is needed.

Bernsteins book is also very cool and worthy in some sections where he details in a really macro kind of way the various fancy ways that food is labeled. He gives specific lists of shady terms on labels which are actually masking pharma sugars which in some cases can be more damaging than straight cane or fructose. Those lists alone are worth their weight in gold.

You can read it online for free if you want here: http://www.diabetes-book.com/

He does deal with more the type 1 than any other, and you are aware that there are different categories and DX for type, so keep this in mind while browsing or taking notes.

That is one of the most difficult things in learning about diabetes control is separating advice for different types and tolerances, advanced or minimal situations. When you are picking up books and learning, try to get a feel for which type they are addressing and adjust that wisdom for your situation.

Thanks. It's helpful to have a few names of products and not be overwhelmed by the choices in the store/

DD uses a One-Touch UltraLink. Hers talks to her insulin pump, but you don't need that function. Her old one that doesn't talk to her pump is One-Touch Ultra II, which would work just fine for you. Yes, one*mom is right that you have to get specific test strips to match your pump.