Menu

New toy suggestions?

snickerplum

Hello, all! I think my children are bored of their toys. Most of them, anyways. We have a toy rotation schedule for the week and now when we get out a new group of toys they seem to only play with them for about a half-hour or so. I'm feeling the need to purge most of them (only keeping favorites) and get some new things. Our different groups are baby dolls and accessories, kitchen things, littlest pet shop, dress up, and doll houses. We always have out books, our son's train table in his room and his trucks. Our ages are 7, 5, 3 and 2. What would be some good, creativity-stimulating, non-annoying toys? :) We also have some board games, puzzles and coloring books they can play with. But they mostly make messes of the board games.... :)

Duplos are very popular here. Dd makes houses and such for the my Little Ponies.

Melissa and Doug make magnetic dolls both in boys and girls. Dd and ds both love playing with those.

Dinosaurs or farm animals are played with daily.

Woodkins make dolls that you can use fabric scraps to dress. Dd will play with that for hours.

I wonder if you keep them on the same rotation all the time, or mix and match "categories". Sometime the best creative play around here happens when strange combinations of toys get mixed in spontaneous play.

Smilie from dd7: :leaving:

Smilie from ds10: :001_tt2:

I would definitely try different combinations of toys. My girls love to play with their littlest pet shop with the dollhouse and often dress up to make meals for their baby dolls with their kitchen stuff.

As far as new toys I would aim fr open ended things that can be combined with what you already have (blocks for example can be used to build houses for pet shop characters or garages and roads for cars)

The toys that have stood the test of time here are Calico Critters and Magna-Tiles, to build cities and houses for the Calico Critters. Dolls and their accessories grew in importance when my girls were old enough for AG dolls. I think they were about 7&9.

When my kids were younger, closer in age to yours, I found that interest in their current toys could be reignited by introducing a variation. For example, if we read a book about a pizza shop the girls would turn their play kitchen into a pizza shop for a week or so. I'd help them make menus, and given them ideas.

Legos and Duplos. Those get played with more than anything else around here (by the girl as well as by the boys). Blocks, too; we keep ours in a big bin with the wooden train pieces. Little People playsets have been big hits with most of our kids as well.

If they don't have them, playsilks or large cloths might be nice. I remember DD getting a lot of use out of them in the preschool years.

The toys that have stood the test of time here are Calico Critters and Magna-Tiles, to build cities and houses for the Calico Critters. Dolls and their accessories grew in importance when my girls were old enough for AG dolls. I think they were about 7&9.

When my kids were younger, closer in age to yours, I found that interest in their current toys could be reignited by introducing a variation. For example, if we read a book about a pizza shop the girls would turn their play kitchen into a pizza shop for a week or so. I'd help them make menus, and given them ideas.

Yes! Little prop kits -- menus and pizza toppings for a pizza shop, tickets and passports to play airport, medical equipment and lab coat to play doctor or vet, etc. would probably be fun. Kids are good at improvising, but sometimes having a paper to write on, or a passport that you can put stickers on, or the like, can add to the play value.