Menu

ok expats....what do I need to put on my to do list....

Um_2_4

So we have always planned to move overseas (in 5-10 years), but the timeline just got bumped up big time. Like maybe in 6mos to a year! (No tickets are reserved so this is just a tenative time line, might be 1.5 years.)

So besides preparing what curriculum I want to take etc., what are some things I should put on my to do list that I might not think about? We will homeschool through HS there.

Or you wish you had done before you left the USA as it was harder or took longer to do from your current location?

I plan to put all documents I need together (origional bc for me and kids, marriage cert, death certs for my parents etc), all medical records, documents re: DH and his work. What else?

Do you have any helpful websites, blogs to link me to?

Any other tips?

DH will handle housing there (it's his hometown) and transportation, I just have to get us ready to move. We will ship a container ( so lots of books YAY!!) of personal items.

My head is spinning !

There is nothing from the states that I can't get an equivalent of in any major city overseas. The things I miss coming to the states was ethnic items like traditional cultural costumes and musical instruments cost a lot more here than in Asia. When we went back for a holiday, our children wanted to see the hospital older was born in and places of our childhood. So basically my kids treasure the memories. We took lots of photos and videos.

Maybe it is because we moved from a metropolitan city to another metropolitan city so whatever facilities we are used to is easily accessible. However aids for special needs like ADHD are less easy to buy in some countries. Evaluaions for autism are harder too in some places.

Another thing is assets especially bank assets. You have to decided if you want to bring the cash with you or just make sure you can access your money from your husband's hometown.

You might also want to check about how to get your driver's license there.

Depending on where you move, Legos are cheaper here and there are more choices of microscopes and telescopes.

Lots of research in order to manage your expectations. What kind of house/transport/lifestyle are you likely to be able to afford? What things are going to be harder for you, and how will you manage your time? Are there any local expatriate organisations?

Think about how you are going to manage health care: American insurance? Local insurance? Are you happy relying totally on local health care or do you want evacuation insurance?

Legal situation for all of you: home education, visas, bank accounts, driving licence.....

Highly recommended book: Third Culture Kids. It will help you to manage the transition for your children, both out and (if it happens) back.

Laura

I have been there mutiple times, so am familar with where and "how" we will live. But previously it was 3 mos max.

I do have to check more into banking options. I think HSBC is an option.

I need to look into ideas of some items to take with me for ds3 who I think has sensory issues, will discuss that with his doc.

Most things will be available, except english educational items. I will have hi speed internet, so can access most things, but shipping there is a problem. Most companies don't, but I could DH in his travels bring what I need.

Healthcare, well I will have access to an US university hospital plus local facilities, so I am ok with those. At first we will have a combo of american insurance to cover emergencies and local for well visits etc.

Thanks for all the info! Any other tips/thoughts?

We moved from South Africa to the Middle East, and your circumstances might be very different but we did not properly manage our finances in South Africa. We did not do change-of-address stuff before we left, and once we were there it was a complete nightmare (we needed utility bills to show address and our one utility bill was in Arabic, another had landlords name on, bank bills has NO name on, etc etc). Our home bank refused to accept faxed instructions, only online messages, but then they needed to phone us to confirm, only they wouldn't because we were overseas... My blood pressure is rising just thinking about the mess that was! So my best advice is to contact every US institution you will be dealing with, and find out exactly what you need to do to manage your accounts from overseas.

Make sure passports are all renewed to you won't have to do it while you are there - that can be a hassle depending on where you are and your home country requirements.

Figure out if Book Depository and Rainbow Resource Center ship to where you are going.

I second the recommendation of Third Culture Kids.

You mentioned USA, so, for the sake of my reply, I am going to "assume", that you are U.S. Citizens. I don't know what your destination country is, so am in the dark on that.

The most important thing I can "say" to you is to obtain your Permanent Residency/Work Visas, in the country you now live in, from the Consulate or Consulate General of the destination country, nearest to the city you live in now.

DO NOT just "move" overseas and then apply for a visa. I have known people who did that, after arriving here, and I guarantee you that the visas they eventually got were not as good as my visa and that they spent a lot more money getting their visas than I did getting mine.

After you arrive in your destination country, you will need to get an Attorney who is experienced with Family law, to write a new will for you and a new will for your DH. Your wills in the USA will be worthless.

Whether or not you can import what you are thinking about shipping in that container will depend upon the import laws of your destination country. Will your appliances, TV, radio, etc., work in the destination country? If you are moving to Colombia, they will. Everything that works in the USA works here. If you are moving somewhere else, that may not be the case.

What will it cost you, to get that container shipped, cleared through customs and delivered to your new home?

U.S. Citizens and Permanent Residents of the USA are taxed on their WORLDWIDE income. You can eFile your taxes, using the free/paid versions of TaxACT.

Overseas Americans are subject to strict enforcement by the I.R.S. and other U.S. Government agencies. There are special reporting laws that apply to us. You can get information, about many issues affecting Overseas Americans, on the web site of American Citizens Abroad:

http://americansabroad.org/

There is an excellent chance that your U.S. Bank Accounts, Retirement Accounts, Credit Cards, etc., will be cancelled, after you change from a U.S. Mailing Address to an Overseas Mailing address. This is a result of the strict U.S. laws.

I would suggest that you begin talking now, with your U.S. bank, stock brokers, etc., about if/how you can maintain accounts with them, with an overseas mailing address.

I arranged insurance with Clements, in Washington, DC, before I moved from the USA to Colombia and carried insurance on the contents of our house with Clements, for a number of years, after the move.

It is highly unlikely that your medical insurance will cover you outside the USA. If it does, few, if any, hospitals outside the USA would accept insurance from another country.

DO NOT move to any location where you are not perfectly happy with the local doctors/hospitals, etc.

This is the tip of the iceberg. I read, years ago, that an overseas move is about the same stress level as a major house fire. I have also read, that Overseas Americans who move BACK to the USA face a much larger "culture shock", than they did when they moved overseas, from the USA.

Read up about your destination country and your destination city.

Read the web site of the U.S. Embassy in your destination country. Register with the ACS (American Citizens Services Unit) in the U.S. Embassy after you arrive there to live.

If you are planning to home school, investigate whether or not the laws of your destination country permit home schooling.

If your DH is going to be working overseas, the tax implications are quite complex. If he is working for the U.S. Government or a contractor of theirs, he will pay U.S. Income tax. If not, after a certain time (18 months?) of qualified overseas residence, there is an exemption from U.S. Income Tax, up to approximately USD$93,000. The Income Tax laws of Colombia are such that i have a true "expert" to do that return for me. The U.S. return, I do with the TaxACT software.

If you are moving to the UK, I understand, from someone who is there for 2 years, that their tax laws are incredibly complex, compared to the USA., as are the laws here in Colombia.

If your income is in U.S. Dollars, the value of the U.S. Dollar has been very weak, for approximately 9 years. Prepare for a terrible shock, with regard to your purchasing power.

If you move, with the proper attitude and expectations, your family will thrive. I moved here 18 years ago and am happy with that decision.

Make a trip to your destination city/country and check it out. Take a look at the housing available to you, visit "the best" local hospital, etc. Visit the supermarkets and the superstores (Carrefour, WalMart, etc.) and check out the prices, by converting from the local currency to U.S. Dollars.

I came here, originally, with no intention of moving here. I was planning to move to Mexico. I kept coming back. I love the weather and the food and the medical care here is great, and if you are careful, you will be happy living overseas.

Good luck, to you and to your family!

Lanny made some great points. I want to add that one of my hardest things in the UK was getting my own National Insurancs Number. Functions very similar to a Social Security number in the US. Everyone gets one on their 16th bday normally. Expats receive one if they are seeking work. As a stay at home mom I spent hours going through channels to get mine so I could start a pension account. Other types of bank accounts need them too. The website said easy. Easy is not having to ask your MP for help. I had the equivalent of permanent residency at that time. I refused to lie and say I was a job seeker which I know caused my prblems.

We didn't ship a container. The cost was huge. If dh is having it paid through his job great but we quickly realized we could buy new and save money. Moved with luggage and shipped a very few boxes.

We bought an industrial converter for electronics. Spent roughly £100. Works great.

One other odd thing I needed was to be able to prove I spoke English fluently. The easiest way was my college transcript. So I ordered one.

Thanks everyone.

DH will be working/residing in the USA for a time after we move (years) and using vacation to visit us, so we have a bit of time to set things up bank wise, but I have spoken to HSBC and another bank about setting up accounts accessible from both locales.

Good point about the wills, we actually have a living trust here, so I will look into what we need to do that would be enforceable where ever we are. We will have DH's family there as guardians, etc.

We are quite aware of costs there, we just sold a house there and will be buying another one (I prefer somewhere in the "suburbs"). We currently support his mom who is living there and she keeps us up to date on the market there (food prices, heating costs and how she needs extra each month LOL )

We are all US Citizens, but DH and the kids also have 2nd passports, so I will be the only one needing a visa. (Long story why I married a national there, but don't have a 2nd passport LOL).

Homeschooling is covered, 1st thing I checked LOL

As far as insurance, based on friends experience, we would have to pay out of pocket for any "emergencies" that occurred while DH is working here and we are on his insurance and then submit for reimbursement. It might not be the whole cost, but based on costs there, it would be fairly close. Our insurance also has coverage, if we were overseas and in a major accident, they could stabilize us and transport back to the USA (already verified with insurance) so I think that is the "evacuation" insurance right?

Now once DH leaves his employment here, he will most likely contract work, so then we will be on local health plans which we are familiar with because MIL uses them.

Container is covered as I used to work (temp) for an export agency and DH's family works in import there, so they will "deal" with that. Only customs would be on "new" stuff for trade, our personal effects are not included (except a car, but we are not taking one. Taxis are all I will use there.)

Oooo and Carrefour..can't wait to get back.... my favorite was the once I visited right outside of Cairo LOL

Electronics, I know I will take laptops and some ereaders (nook and a nexus probably). But I need to check on the ereaders/tablets. I know I will just need the different shape plug for the laptops, but not sure about the nook....I will take my wii and a small lcd tv to hook it up as there it is a pal system. Otherwise we will buy stuff there.

The container to be honest is most likely going to be school stuff (when we moved to this house I had 50 boxes (from tire rims) just for school stuff, including puzzles, books, games etc), clothes, household items, my family china, some select furniture pieces. (Furniture, linens, clothes are super crazy expensive there). For the kids I will take a stock of basics I know they will need (undies, shoes, jeans, etc) in various sizes. I am not kidding, jeans (for kids) run $50 & up (and I am not talking calvin klein, polo or ralph lauren jeans or the like, I am talking worse quality than walmart jeans!) I know over time we will have to switch to buying there, but there is time to figure out options. I see TCP now ships overseas ;) !

I wanted to ads that you should look at recommended vaccines - coming from Africa we were vaccinated for the full range of weird and wonderful diseases, but expats from the UK needed TB vaccines, and dd needed a polio booster while there due to an outbreak somewhere nearby. If you don't generally vaccinate, re-investigate with your new home country in mind. If you have travelled there extensively you might have already dealt with this.

Re insurance - you say your insurance covers you if you are overseas and need to be evacuated to the US for medical care. You might want to check that this applies if you are living overseas, as opposed to just travelling. (Or is it specific overseas / expat insurance?)

Also, our life insurance did not cover us when we were living overseas.

vaccines... added to list, I will check.

We will be staying there barring some major disaster there (war or the like)...

We don't have life insurance, so not an issue.

I will review the insurance (we have a pretty through policy thanks to DHs work).

Thanks for letting me "talk" this out LOL

My list includes:

anti-perspirant (deo is available, anti-p is not, and I need the stronger)

make-up (they don't carry for my shade of skin)

maple flavoring (for making my own "maple syrup" for pancakes)

selected spices that we use that are unavailable (for example, sage for Thanksgiving or making sausage)

Bras (can't get good supportive ones as easily)

Shoes (except for tennis shoes, I have to buy shoes either in the U.S. before I go, or when I am visiting another country because my feet are a little hard to fit and I need good support)

A couple of good cookbooks for whole foods cooking such as: La Leche League Whole Foods for the Whole Family, and the More-with-Less Cookbook. So many newer cookbooks call for processed items that are not available overseas.

You might want to load up on iTunes because your country may not include U.S. options.

Any items that are special to your family for holiday traditions or other family traditions.

Of course, where you are going may have all my top list available, or a good substitute.

HaHa Jaybee....I will be spending a small fortune on bras before I leave....let's just say I am towards the end of the alphabet and every time SILs have tried to send me a "gift" from there it is far from fitting LOL.

Shoes.. good one, I had planned for the kids, but I have heel spurs, so should take some "extras" for me....thanks

I am also taking rain boots...... when it rains there, the drainage/roads are horrible, so you often walk through large deep puddles.

Internet I am not worried about ;) DH is a network engineer,so we will have a home network that thinks it is in the USA :leaving:

iTunes I don't use, but google play...hmm?? are some apps only available in USA?? Will check that out....

Spices... good one.. I LOVE to cook chinese, which can be found there (some of it anyway) but is $$$$$$. So some bottles of oyster and hoisin sauce...added

Cookbooks....good one, will check what I have...

They actually have mini Costcos there.....some one started shopping here for popular brands in bulk, shipping it there and opening stores there selling "USA" brands, so shampoo etc I am not worried about...

I knew you guys would have more ideas :hurray:

If you use any vintage books from free sites like google books, save them as PDF's. They are often not accessible outside the US.

Also...

Cosmetics

Shampoo (to last you until you can find one you like)

Depending on country... Floss, toothpaste, mouth wash, chap-stick

hair brush (you'd be surprised)

undies for you

food items not available that you cannot live with out. In some parts of Mexico, we can't find peanut butter.

erasers and pencils (also, depending on country)

I am sure there is much more, but it is pretty late.

Good luck with the move.

If you are moving to the UK, I understand, from someone who is there for 2 years, that their tax laws are incredibly complex, compared to the USA., as are the laws here in Colombia.

Just a note of information: it's not that UK tax law is complex - I file my taxes online in the UK in twenty minutes. The complication comes for US citizens because the UK and US tax years are different. Husband - American - has until now used an expensive tax accountant with specific experience in the two systems because of this. He is filing on his own for the first time this year.

Laura

I think people have covered a lot of the basics.. a couple things I didn't see mentioned:

Document attestation. All our official documents that originated from outside our country of residence, we had to have attested. This involved getting originals (or notarized copies) and then going through a longish procedure where each document had to be sent to the county office, then state office, then national office, then the country's embassy in the US -- at each stage the document got a special stamp/letter attached to attest to its truthfulness. This was for birth certificates, marriage certificates, and educational degrees. We moved here thinking we could just get a stamp from the American Embassy, but that didn't work -- we had to send all the documents back to the US and ask a very kind and patient family member to orchestrate (because one office doesn't send it on to the next, they send it back to you and you have to send to the next, and so on). There are agencies that will do this for you for a fee.

I don't know if this is common in your destination country, but you might look into it.

iTunes/Amazon accounts. I saw you mention this, but just emphasizing because while you can use an iTunes or Amazon account in the US store from here, you cannot create one from here. And you can't buy cards to fill your US account here (I take that back, I have seen them for sale but at 3-4 times the cost). So I would recommend, if you use either of these, that you set up accounts and get gift cards (if you go that route rather than a bank account) before you come. I know you can get some cards online (and they email you the access code), I have had spotty success with that. There is, of course, an iTunes store based here but the selection is way way less.

hth!