Menu

Yesterday's classics

I got mine for $50, but I see the price is now higher. It was around Christmas that I got that price. I didn't know how lucky I was. I just happened o. It because I was doing random searches. Mu daughter got a nook for Christmas; so, it was perfect for us. Totally worth it. It would still be worth it for the current price, but I'd have a harder time forking over the money. They are good books and well done ebook format. It also saves time finding them all yourself. But I've also used my local library's ebook catalog to download many older books like that.

Yes, $49 for a couple weeks at Christmas ending Dec 31st, but I've seen it since then for that price -- at least once in 2013, if not twice. If you don't mind waiting it out a bit, I'd think it would come around again. Alternatively, you could just email and ask if they have another one planned.

Now if only Heritage History would also have a sale, I would be set!

Good luck!

http://www.mainlesson.com/// It is still on sale for $49.95 at Baldwin Books. Best purchase I've ever made for our homeschool! (besides kindles for the kids)

ETA: it says the sale is through Feb 28th, but apparently you can still purchase them for that price... I just clicked on "buy all 225 Kindle files" and it brought me to a page where I can purchase it for $49.95.

So these are worth the money? How do you use them/plan them?

I prefer properly edited ebooks that display well on e-readers and cell-phones, and that don't waste disk space. I really, really do. I also prefer professionally narrated audio books to the free ones.

I depends on if you use these kinds of books, so I would look through the list and consider carefully. I think they are excellent books and will use many in our schooling. I pick a few to read out loud and I load some onto my kid's kindles for them to read. The download comes with a printable list of the books that makes it useful for planning purposes. They list them alphabetically by title, then again by author, by genre, and by grade level.

Yes, $49 for a couple weeks at Christmas ending Dec 31st, but I've seen it since then for that price -- at least once in 2013, if not twice. If you don't mind waiting it out a bit, I'd think it would come around again. Alternatively, you could just email and ask if they have another one planned.

Now if only Heritage History would also have a sale, I would be set!

Good luck!

Have you used the young readers set?

There is some overlap between Heritage History and Yesterday's Classics. I would check the lists to make sure there aren't too many duplicates. I have both the young readers and yesterday's classics and each are equally formatted well, clickable table of contents and so on. The guides that come with Heritage History are very helpful.

I'm really glad we purchased them. If you aren't a fan of vintage books, they probably aren't worth the money for you. We schedule them in our school when the topics come up...right now we are reading Pinocchio as a read aloud, a biography of David Livingston for geography, and Peeps at Many Lands: Ancient Egypt for history. I also read from them when we are waiting at Dr appointments or sitting in the car. My older DC read from them at night or while riding in the car. I'm putting together a list of books for them to read independently so they can find appropriate ones for their ages (AO and HUFI booklists were a bit help for this...YC also gives age ranges for each book).

I prefer them over the free copies since the table of contents is linked and there are no typos!!

I got mine for $49 about a month ago. Maybe they do a sale every few months or so?

I also got mine about a month ago for $49. I've been using them with our Ancients history just about every day since. It was so totally worth it. Just having these will cut down my curriculum costs for several years to come. I know you can get them for free elsewhere, but the free ones don't have the interactive table of contents. I go and pick out which books and chapters my dd needs to read on our Kindle Touch, and they are set up and ready to go when she needs them.

I've been using them with our Ancients history just about every day since. It was so totally worth it. Just having these will cut down my curriculum costs for several years to come. I know you can get them for free elsewhere, but the free ones don't have the interactive table of contents.

Exactly! We love them with history (we are using MOH) and my kids seem to "get" these books better than some of the current historical fiction books. I am going to start putting together our science for next year (earth science/astronomy) and hope to include some of the YC books in that too. The Treadwell readers are great for narration practice. I am hoping to use some of the American History books as a spine for history in a few years. There are just too many to choose from:)

http://www.mainlesson.com/// It is still on sale for $49.95 at Baldwin Books. Best purchase I've ever made for our homeschool! (besides kindles for the kids)

ETA: it says the sale is through Feb 28th, but apparently you can still purchase them for that price... I just clicked on "buy all 225 Kindle files" and it brought me to a page where I can purchase it for $49.95.

I hope this is still available next week when I hopefully have some money....

BUT, the sample book they have to downloand? THe Dutch Twins?

I have 5 or 6 of those books from a 1968 printing! My mom had older ones, and bought those because my grandma did something to them.... anyway, it was funny to recognize the book and have it!

Have you used the young readers set?

Alas, no. I do own the YC set and planned to buy the HH Young Readers set too, but there is some crossover. I picked YC first because at the time, it was the sale price and there were books from across a number of subjects that I knew my kiddos could use, whereas HH is of course just history. My plan was always to purchase both, but I haven't yet gotten the HH.

HH does have a free e-book each month, though, so I would definitely recommend those!

The guides that come with Heritage History are very helpful.

LoveBaby, I really would like to hear more about the guides!! Can you describe them, as well as how you use them -- in as much detail as possible? ;) Also, my understanding is that the Young Reader's Guide is different than the others. Can you explain how?

I got mine from homeeducatingfamily.com and the sale ended Feb 28/13.

What kind of sale price, and was it for a set or what? Also, are you (or your dd) using the study guides? I'm really wondering more about that. Thanks!

ETA: Were you referring to the sale being for YC or HH?

• 2 weeks later...

I just bought these for the "expired" $49.95 price!!

Going to check this out --- I already saw a few that I had purchased for this year and we LOVED them. I think it might be worth the $50. :auto:

If you already love the ones you tried it would definitely be worth the purchase:) Every day we are finding more and more used for them: read aloud practice, narration practice, copywork, supplement to history and science, and just some great short stories to read with my younger kids. Now I only wish we had more devices to read them all since it seems like everyone wants to read at the same time:)

I'm thrilled with this purchase. Honestly it's the best $50 I've probably spent on curriculum. My daughter got a Nook for Christmas and it was wonderful to be able to add some many good books to it without costing an arm and a leg.

I agree with the other posters about using them for science, history, read-alouds, independent reads, copy work, dictation, narration, etc.

We'll be using the "readers" for my 6 year old after she's a bit further along in Phonics Pathways. She's a bit of a reluctant reader; so, I don't want to push it with her. All of the kids love to hold the iPad; so, that's a bonus in convincing her to read more. :)

I'm not sure how I found those books initially, but they really are great.