Menu

"Re-doing" second grade before September?!?! HELP!!!

TraceyS/FL

OK, my youngest is in public school second grade. She's bright, and going to be 9 in July (she was a late reader, so we "held her back" when she entered K).

She has a first year teacher..... it hasn't gone well in some areas. Remember how you felt your first year homeschooling??? HA, now imagine having 20 kids get mucked up.....

Her father is very reluctant to let her come home, so I might just have the summer. I might get her home next week only until August, she might come home and do Connections in August, I just don't know how it looks yet....

I know math is the biggest area that I have to remediate so she is ready for next year. I have MUS and Calculadders, and am buying MM from the co-op. That i am not concerned with i think. She is a math sponge and will catch up in that area pretty easy.

BUT, i'm not sure what I should do for LA. She will do AAS1, which I have. I have BJU 2nd reading, so I could have her watch those lessons. I am planning on ordering her sister (Special needs) GwG and WWW level 3, and I don't know if I should just get her that too? Level 2? They are pretty much just starting to write paragraphs in school, and she is interested in grammar - they don't seem to be doing a lot of it though.

I'm guessing that going thru what she can of GwG and WwW would put her way ahead of where she is now and set her up to do ok in 3rd grade. Should I even bother with the BJU reading or just work at getting her reading books? She seems to skim and prefer shorter ones - I think in her case reading requires wayyyyyy to much sitting in one place.

She loves workbooks and such - you know, that public school thing! :)

Science and history are covered..... more than covered :rofl: (sooooo, why do I still have a shopping list for them?!?!?!)

And, when I talked to the counselor at the school last week about an issue - she actually THANKED ME for being able to reteach her second grade.... it was the first conversation with her in 3 years she didn't try to tell me how much better they were than homeschooling. Great.... I wonder if they would pay for her materials?

Anyway, this is good and stressful. I will just be thankful that my 3 classes I have next quarter should be pretty easy and not heavy research classes. Because come June - i shall be pulling my hair out! :willy_nilly:

(but despite the challenges, I really would like her to come home now - it would be the best thing academically for her, and if it means I don't get a 4.0 - so be it!)

If she's going back to school, I would use whatever they use. You probably could just ask the school for their materials. I wouldn't bother with science or history, just math, reading and writing.

Truth is, the school knows that they're going to have a class of kids to remediate, so I wouldn't be surprised if they kept that class together next year and put a skilled teacher with them to catch them all up.

My dd's third grade year was a total loss. I was able to rehab math over the summer with math u see, and we went on to homeschool for 4 years. Good luck!

I'm only going to have science and history because she will tag along with the one at home. She has been begging for months to do history too, begging!!

UGH, but that is actually a fear of mine. SHe won't need a whole year to catch up - I don't want her to stay "back" like that you know? Heck, when she entered for K in late January, she was on lesson 85 of BJU K, and by the end of June they had covered up to BJU lesson 89. That as a waste of 5 months and it has stayed that way. She hasn't been challenged at all the whole time she has been in PS. Keeping her in a remedial class would be extremely unfair to her.

Even her K and 1st grade teachers can't believe she is getting D's and F's in math. I know it is the combo of the crap curriculum and the first year teacher (counselor thanked me for that understanding too), but the 1st grade teacher was able to teach the material because she'd been doing it for so long. UGH UGH UGH.

The biggest "problem" with her coming home is that my ex has to overcome his personal issues I think.... because fought so long and hard to get them in school, and had to accept that the special needs one needed to be here - this is potentially a "big deal" to let the 3rd one come home too. I just hope he can get past some of that and for once in his life put the CHILD first.

She's also been absent 19 days - i'm taking her on a homeschool field trip in Orlando after spring break, I dare them to say anything about it.... :D

ETA: she's been absent because she has been sick and then had sinus surgery and her tonsils out... she's sick again and I will flip if she is with this group of kids again!

I don't think you need to cover a whole year's worth of study in all subjects. There is massive repetitiveness in all subjects. The only things that will really affect her academic success in school at this age is her *reading* skills--not even grammar, not even writing--and her basic arithmetic skills.

AAS might be enough for her spelling (and reading?) skills. Since you already have it, you might as well use it. But I wouldn't get a basal-reader program like BJUP. If AAS won't actually address her reading skills, I'd go with Spalding, which I *know* will do just that--reading, spelling, penmanship, capitalization and punctuation, simple writing.

Seems to me that you could use WWE with her, although IMHO, if she's going back to school, I would be more focused on the math and reading.

When my dd attended 2nd grade public school, she didn't learn any math either. And her teacher wasn't brand new.

My thoughts on math in the early grades:

1st grade: Memorize addition facts

2nd grade: Memorize subtraction facts

3rd grade: Memorize multiplication facts

IMHO, if you do that, your child will be good to go for quite some time. They will see all the rest of the math again and again. Fractions, what have you. Learning time will come if you put a clock where she can see it and refer to it often. Give her an allowance and she will learn how to handle money. It will be fine if at this point, you just focus on the addition and subtraction facts.

I used the DOMA test from Let's Go Learn to figure out exactly where the holes were in math for one of my sons. It was very helpful, and let me know what I needed to work on with him. They also have a reading assessment. I purchased through Homeschool Buyer's Co-op, though I don't know if it's still available there or not.

It was a very difficult decision, but I withdrew my son in the middle of first grade out of a horrid first grade public school class. I covered all of first grade for him with homeschooling in only half of a year (though my son read well, so reading wasn't an issue). So I think covering second grade in half of a year is doable. Like others said, I would put the main emphasis on math, reading, writing, and basic grammar.

Regarding writing, I use WWW3 (the first workbook only) for 2nd grade. I save WWW3 second workbook for 3rd grade because I found it does an good job at teaching paragraph writing at an appropriate level for 3rd graders. I also add in additional writing, which you would have time for as well (since your child can easily do 2 or 3 days of WWW3 in one sitting).

It sounds like you have math and spelling covered.

Regarding reading, I would have her read aloud to you from a challenging level book 15 minutes per day, practicing reading with expression and answering comprehension questions (which you can make up as you go along). In addition, have her do extra silent reading at her regular level.

Concerning grammar, I have not used GWG, but that may be a good fit. I use Rod and Staff English for my grammar. The 2nd grade R&S English is very basic and would be doable to use to cover basic grammar in your situation (if you combined lessons or skipped the repetitive ones).

After I pulled my son out of school and started teaching him myself, I realized how much more he learned from homeschooling versus the dreadful public school situation. I wondered why I hadn't pulled him out sooner.

I don't think you need to cover a whole year's worth of study in all subjects. There is massive repetitiveness in all subjects. The only things that will really affect her academic success in school at this age is her *reading* skills--not even grammar, not even writing--and her basic arithmetic skills.

AAS might be enough for her spelling (and reading?) skills. Since you already have it, you might as well use it. But I wouldn't get a basal-reader program like BJUP. If AAS won't actually address her reading skills, I'd go with Spalding, which I *know* will do just that--reading, spelling, penmanship, capitalization and punctuation, simple writing.

Seems to me that you could use WWE with her, although IMHO, if she's going back to school, I would be more focused on the math and reading.

The AAS mirrors what she was using in Speech and Language therapy, she has only been out of that for a few months. The SLP feels it will be a good fit for her - so I feel pretty comfy doing that.

I have the BJUP stuff already, so that would be easy to have her do. I'd prefer her to just get reading - she has a kindle full of books, and she has bookshleves here full of books. But that involves sitting still..... she is a sensory seeker!

I feel the need to work on writing because I know it is her weakest stuff. She is BARELY out of language therapy (per testing), and because of that I can't just let it slide. Does that make sense?

When my dd attended 2nd grade public school, she didn't learn any math either. And her teacher wasn't brand new.

My thoughts on math in the early grades:

1st grade: Memorize addition facts

2nd grade: Memorize subtraction facts

3rd grade: Memorize multiplication facts

IMHO, if you do that, your child will be good to go for quite some time. They will see all the rest of the math again and again. Fractions, what have you. Learning time will come if you put a clock where she can see it and refer to it often. Give her an allowance and she will learn how to handle money. It will be fine if at this point, you just focus on the addition and subtraction facts.

LOL, at least I don't feel alone!!

Facts are a major issue, they aren't overly big on having them memorize them it seems. Well, it goes in spurts.... they practice for a couple of weeks then move on.

But, this is the child that asked for MATH BOOKS for CHristmas. Not printed worksheets - she wanted (and still does) more math BOOKS to work on. She loves math despite not learning much at school. Go figure! She has loved the last month - measurement.

So here you have my almost 9 year old that is begging for more math and to do history..... stuck in public school. The first one of my three that loves school - go figure! Oh the irony of my life :D

Now I am going to go there and have lunch with her, she will bed to come home and I will avoid the counselor when I go thru the office because I might not be nice. :leaving:

What about a couple of the Evan Moor Writing books? Draw Then Write, Daily 6-Trait Writing, etc. These are all available on Teacher's File Box, too (and you can get a year membership at Homeschool Buyer's Co-op for $70). Since she loves workbooks, it might be a fun way for her to learn.

I have the sub already - i've been poking around a bit for what might work best for her.

Now that the major chunk of my school is over for the quarter I can do more - and i'm on spring break starting Thursday for 2 weeks :D

She has done some of the Draw then Write at Speech, I will have to look at them more....

When I told her I could print her math worksheets - she gave me this look and said, I want a book, not printouts. Twerp. I"ll bind them for her :p

If you are putting her back in school next year, I too would just use the materials that should have been taught this year. The school should be able to loan you the math and LA materials.

A lot will depend on when I get her. If she only has the summer - then it will end up being MUS and Calculadders for fact drill. She knew her early addition facts (she was doing Alpha) when she entered K, in second grade she is using a blasted number line for 4+2. I kid you not.

But just now at lunch I told her that her sister got up at 10:33 and she, without even thinking, said that is 27 minutes until 11.

It is there - I just have to UNdo the school stuff like the blasted number line.

I guess I will plan on getting a list of what they expect them to know in 3rd grade upon entering and work from that list.

The very first thing she said to me when I got there for lunch today was, "DId you talk to Daddy?" (she cried for 20 minutes this morning about going to school, I had to remind her she was going to a play on friday and then tell her about another field trip I am taking her on.... finally she sucked it up and got ready).

And, her teacher is really nice, and will someday be a great teacher. Just not this year :(

Little side rant. What is it with number lines? He went to school at five in the early stages of counting on and back. A week later he couldn't add 5+6 because he didn't have enough fingers. By the end of the first year he was about a month ahead of where he started. Now in the second year they want him to count on a number line. Rant over.

Little side rant. What is it with number lines? He went to school at five in the early stages of counting on and back. A week later he couldn't add 5+6 because he didn't have enough fingers. By the end of the first year he was about a month ahead of where he started. Now in the second year they want him to count on a number line. Rant over.

Yesterday in the car.... what is 4+2?

She had to count. COUNT.

She knew that when she entered K - and now she is counting?????????

Right there with you on the rant!!!!

I just wouldn't have the heart to leave a child at school who's crying and begging to come home. I know you have to suck it up a lot of times, but that would really tug at my heart. However, it doesn't really sound like you'd have to completely re-do second grade. A lot depends on whether you'd have her home next year or not.

I just wouldn't have the heart to leave a child at school who's crying and begging to come home. I know you have to suck it up a lot of times, but that would really tug at my heart. However, it doesn't really sound like you'd have to completely re-do second grade. A lot depends on whether you'd have her home next year or not.

Taking her there is the hardest thing I do daily.

However, the divorce judgement says she has to go to public school, and until her Dad decides she can once again come home, she is stuck. Legally, my hands are completely tied. It sucks. It really really does.

She talked to him about it last night, she wouldn't tell me what he said to her - just that he was going to MAYBE call me today about it.

The odds are better for having her home with her enrolling into the Connections academy - which means she has to be somewhat ready because they won't remediate much I don't think. She is capable of doing that work, I almost enrolled her in it for this semester... you know, because technically it is public school ;)

She saw some of the Elemental Science Physics experiments yesterday - and she is mega excited about doing them. So that will go on the summer plan regardless - I need to feed her love of learning and challenge her. That is the part that is so hard about having her there.

Taking her there is the hardest thing I do daily.

However, the divorce judgement says she has to go to public school, and until her Dad decides she can once again come home, she is stuck. Legally, my hands are completely tied. It sucks. It really really does.

She talked to him about it last night, she wouldn't tell me what he said to her - just that he was going to MAYBE call me today about it.

The odds are better for having her home with her enrolling into the Connections academy - which means she has to be somewhat ready because they won't remediate much I don't think. She is capable of doing that work, I almost enrolled her in it for this semester... you know, because technically it is public school ;)

She saw some of the Elemental Science Physics experiments yesterday - and she is mega excited about doing them. So that will go on the summer plan regardless - I need to feed her love of learning and challenge her. That is the part that is so hard about having her there.

Oh, I am so sorry you're tied to what he says about it. :grouphug:

Oh, I am so sorry you're tied to what he says about it. :grouphug:

Thanks!

I see your link to your DD's gymnastics, I will show her after school today!! She loves being at the gym, I just wish I could have her there more. She was invited to team 2 years ago, but we had to stop going because of transportation and money issues. SHe's back in there, but struggling to get back in the groove in a few areas (like the ones she never had to work at before).

But, at least I think I have a better picture of what I will do - talking it out helps! My boyfriend nods his head and just says, "yes dear" - mainly because he is traveling and I can't SHOW him what I want to do (he's very pro-homeschooling, in fact he said he was even before he knew I homeschooled some of the kids!). So i'm in a void of being able to hash it out with anyone around here. :D

Apparently he told her when he gets back to town he will talk to me about letting her come home next year. I haven't talked to him - but she keeps asking me about it (he hasn't returned my call yet). I have no idea when he will be back.... probably not until late next week.

She is struggling with the MM 1st grade test. Partly because she does NOT know her facts, and the other is the word problems. I think I would just have her run thru 1a & b after I buy them. She has time after school and likes math, soooo......

It is so sad when the courts have a say where the kids are schooled as well. I had to to go through the same thing here. Hence my older ones are in school and I think that is one of the reasons why I lost custody because I was planning to homeschool the teens. Teen didn't want to do, ex wanted whatever the teens wanted, courts wanted the kids in school. So now my older ones are failing and not really getting a good solid education........and ex has to deal with finding my 16 yrs old daughters pink bling blinged BONG in his mailbox.

Regarding your ex:

How about he takes her to school in the mornings and have him deal with her whining and crying about it for the rest of the year?

Anyways back to your dilemma:

If you do history..which I assume is Story of the World maybe not but you can work on reading and writing and spelling with that. I also second WWE with someone who wrote previously.

Math-use Education Unboxed (she has worksheets now) and use the manipulatives for Math Mammoth or whatever you chose to do. Yes remediate the facts it would help with her at school AND if you homeschool. Make if fun...use games such as the Right Start games book.

It is so sad when the courts have a say where the kids are schooled as well. I had to to go through the same thing here. Hence my older ones are in school and I think that is one of the reasons why I lost custody because I was planning to homeschool the teens. Teen didn't want to do, ex wanted whatever the teens wanted, courts wanted the kids in school. So now my older ones are failing and not really getting a good solid education........and ex has to deal with finding my 16 yrs old daughters pink bling blinged BONG in his mailbox.

My teen was able to persuade her father to let her stay at home, using Florida Virtual.

I couldn't afford the expert witness I needed to testify at my trial, so I agreed to putting them in so they could do it and my middle would be placed in elementary school instead of middle school (special ed classes). It was the best placement for her, and now she is home from a disastrous middle school first month.

Regarding your ex:

How about he takes her to school in the mornings and have him deal with her whining and crying about it for the rest of the year?

Sure..... lol! He no longer even takes them mid-week for overnights.

Alas, he has changed jobs and now apparently is a truck driver nationwide and only in town every other weekend for his weekends.

The last couple of summers he has only been in town about 5 days at his old job..... that actually would start about April and go thru the end of September.

Anyways back to your dilemma:

If you do history..which I assume is Story of the World maybe not but you can work on reading and writing and spelling with that. I also second WWE with someone who wrote previously.

Math-use Education Unboxed (she has worksheets now) and use the manipulatives for Math Mammoth or whatever you chose to do. Yes remediate the facts it would help with her at school AND if you homeschool. Make if fun...use games such as the Right Start games book.

Thanks - next week I go into planning mode!! I just finished my final for my health insurance class (seirously) and now I have two whole weeks OFF!!!!

I'm excited, can you tell??? LOL!

I just wanted to say, I hope and pray your ex allows her to come home. I've read a few posts on other forums about ex husbands not wanting their children homeschooled. I understand that both parties are to make decisions for their children, but sometimes is simply a "I'm not going to do anything my ex wants to do" and so on. It's ridiculous. I am sorry, I don't know what kind of relationship you and your ex have, but if he's not even seeing them during the week, and he's away a lot, what difference does it make to him?!

I really hope he will have a change of heart!!!