Menu

Windows 8 - love it or leave it? It's stressing me!

sheryl

@Sheryl This might help you. It is Freeware from IOBit. They make the Advanced SystemCare 6 that we use on our M$ Windows XP boxes. The software IOBit has produced, that we have used, seems to be very stable.

We have no experience with M$ Windows 8, but possibly this will help you:

http://www.iobit.com...tstartmenu8.php

When we ordered a new Dell PC for DD, last October, thank God, we got M$ Windows 7 on it. That was probably one of the last boxes Dell assembled, with Windows 7.

GL

Oh good, another sufferer. For a while it seemed like I was the only one on the board. My old laptop died at the time Windows 8 came out. I was trying to get used to the mouse on my Lenovo ide@pad which is an Intelligent Touchpad. Not only do the charms get in the way, but if you use an application and then go to your desktop, if you are not incredibily careful with how you pull your finger across the pad, you will rapidly shift back to the app. I have yet to find much to be thrilled with. Since I got it so early on, security was also an issue.

Ugh up until last week I sold computers and I *hated* Windows 8. I am by no means an idiot with computers but W8 sure made me feel like I was. Not intuitive and *NOT* user friendly! I am either going to wait for the next windows to get a computer or if I need to get one before then I will wipe it and install W7.

Did I mention I hate W8?

I HATE WINDOWS 8!!!! With the intensity of a thousand white hot suns. HATE IT!!!! :cursing: :banghead: And there is nothing I can do about it. Not being able to paragraph my posts on this forum with it is one of my chief complaints. If I could, I would drop kick it all the way to Bill Gates' front door.

@Sheryl This might help you. It is Freeware from IOBit. They make the Advanced SystemCare 6 that we use on our M$ Windows XP boxes. The software IOBit has produced, that we have used, seems to be very stable.

We have no experience with M$ Windows 8, but possibly this will help you:

http://www.iobit.com...tstartmenu8.php

When we ordered a new Dell PC for DD, last October, thank God, we got M$ Windows 7 on it. That was probably one of the last boxes Dell assembled, with Windows 7.

GL

Thanks, Lanny! This will be helpful and will check into it. Why, oh why = W8!!!!!!1

Oh good, another sufferer. For a while it seemed like I was the only one on the board. My old laptop died at the time Windows 8 came out. I was trying to get used to the mouse on my Lenovo ide@pad which is an Intelligent Touchpad. Not only do the charms get in the way, but if you use an application and then go to your desktop, if you are not incredibily careful with how you pull your finger across the pad, you will rapidly shift back to the app. I have yet to find much to be thrilled with. Since I got it so early on, security was also an issue.

I'm ready to scream! This is a nightmare. Actually, there are "features" I do like about w8, but the ones you mentioned and me - uh, no - not going to work here! You described what happens to me ALL the time and it is so frustrating! Wouldn't you think they would have known these issues before putting on the market? I have a problem with that!

Ugh up until last week I sold computers and I *hated* Windows 8. I am by no means an idiot with computers but W8 sure made me feel like I was. Not intuitive and *NOT* user friendly! I am either going to wait for the next windows to get a computer or if I need to get one before then I will wipe it and install W7.

Did I mention I hate W8?

Funny, I couldn't have worded it better myself!

I HATE WINDOWS 8!!!! With the intensity of a thousand white hot suns. HATE IT!!!! :cursing: :banghead: And there is nothing I can do about it. Not being able to paragraph my posts on this forum with it is one of my chief complaints. If I could, I would drop kick it all the way to Bill Gates' front door.

This is good too and exactly how I feel. oh, hold on while I tell you now it should be a new paragraph - ?!!?!??!?! apparently we can run w8 as w8 and also w8 on a w7 look. like that's really helping.

I have a Gateway laptop with Windows 8. I HATE IT. I thought it was just me, but I cannot do paragraphs on this forum. I have NO Microsoft office unless I want to pay for it, so I cannot open most attachments. I know nothing about computers and everyone here has Windows 7. Don't even ask about ITunes.

Yes, yes, yes!!!! I seem to spend all of my time on my new laptop navigating back to the windows screen...hate it. Hate Windows 8. Hate Internet Explorer. Hate the whole kit and caboodle. And the darn thing does not have a start icon. What the heck? And I blame IE for the not being able to do paragraph breaks.

We have Win8, Win7, WinXP and Mac OS in our house.

I am "used" to Win8, but I can't get around to liking it. The first thing I did was pin important programs my son uses (it's his school laptop) to the taskbar on the desktop so we could avoid the main screen and all it's annoying tiles. Second I installed Firefox so we don't have to use IE.

We have Win8, Win7, WinXP and Mac OS in our house.

I am "used" to Win8, but I can't get around to liking it. The first thing I did was pin important programs my son uses (it's his school laptop) to the taskbar on the desktop so we could avoid the main screen and all it's annoying tiles. Second I installed Firefox so we don't have to use IE.

Installing Firefox...will check into that!

Yes, yes, yes!!!! I seem to spend all of my time on my new laptop navigating back to the windows screen...hate it. Hate Windows 8. Hate Internet Explorer. Hate the whole kit and caboodle. And the darn thing does not have a start icon. What the heck? And I blame IE for the not being able to do paragraph breaks.

@texasmama The same Freeware I suggested the OP try MAY help you with the Start icon. Here is the URL: http://www.iobit.com...tstartmenu8.php

Here's what that page says about it:

icon_150x150.png

Start Menu 8

Bringing Back the Windows® "Start" Menu

• The Best Start Menu Replacement for Windows 8

• Easily Switch between Metro and Desktop Interface

• Faster Access to Programs and Files

• Customizable, Easy, and FREE to Use

As I wrote earlier, all of the Software we have used on our Windows XP boxes put out by IOBit has been extremely stable. Possibly give it a try and Don't Mess With Texas!

I have Windows 8 and like it. But what's the charms bar?

There is a start icon--it's just hidden. Put your mouse into the lower left corner and it'll pop up. You can also go to the lower right corner and you get a pop up bar of choices along the left side of the screen--start menu icon included.

I don't use IE, I use Chrome. I don't have a problem with paragraph breaks. I started using Chrome when I had Windows 7 because IE didn't work well for a facebook game I played.

I have Windows 8 and like it. But what's the charms bar?

There is a start icon--it's just hidden. Put your mouse into the lower left corner and it'll pop up. You can also go to the lower right corner and you get a pop up bar of choices along the left side of the screen--start menu icon included.

I don't use IE, I use Chrome. I don't have a problem with paragraph breaks. I started using Chrome when I had Windows 7 because IE didn't work well for a facebook game I played.

IE is like a bad lover for me. I hate it but I can't seem to leave it....(addicted to favorites bar and don't like change)

Guest submarines

Hate, hate, hate it! I can't express how much I hate it. :cursing:

My font unexpectedly increases as I write, sometimes to size 100, which makes me scream.

My screens keep switching between my home screen and that other screen, but when I want that other screen, I can get it only on the 3rd or so try. Everything seems like so much work. I have a new, sleek, beautiful laptop with Windows 8 and I keep using my old, barely alive one, because everything takes twice as long on Windows8. DH said that if I'm not used to it in another week or so, he'll get me Windows7.

Firefox will eliminate the paragraph problem. We started using Firefox years ago when my husband's IT department loathed IE beyond on reason. They do business internationally and it seriously messed with security, but IE has gotten better. I am used to Firefox and feel like it's easier to use.

I think when we go to touch screens W8 will be better, but for now, I don't care for it.

Windows 8 might just be what it takes to get me to switch to a Mac. If MS hasn't come out with something better by the time I'm ready for a new computer, I will get a Mac. I didn't even hate Vista, but have seen some friends' computers that have Windows 8 and I Do. Not. Want. It.

My font unexpectedly increases as I write, sometimes to size 100, which makes me scream.

My screens keep switching between my home screen and that other screen, but when I want that other screen, I can get it only on the 3rd or so try. Everything seems like so much work. I have a new, sleek, beautiful laptop with Windows 8 and I keep using my old, barely alive one, because everything takes twice as long on Windows8. DH said that if I'm not used to it in another week or so, he'll get me Windows7.

I don't know what's causing the font problem--what program are you using when that happens?

Is the "other screen" the desktop? That would be happening if you have your cursor in the lower right corner. Move it to another location and it won't do that.

Please know I'm not laughing "at" you, but with you. I smiled reading your post and others b/c I cou (this IDIOT W8 - at this typing point, my charms popped up, the big clock flashed on the bottom left and the font is so small I can barely read it - right now I've lost it and am laughing my head off with tears in my eyes - truly I am!)....charms and clock just appeared again as I was getting ready to resume my note. I swear it's possessed - it knows what I want to do and it won't let me. LOL! ........co ....3rd time charms/clock........what the heck? I'm laughing uncontrollably now. ..........could (it's working - maybe) ...now I forgot what I wanted to say!!??!?!?! oh yea, I smiled reading (enter charms/clock number 4 thank you NOT) your post b/c I co (5th time) b/c I could have written it myself. THIS IS RIDICULOUS!

Please know I'm not laughing "at" you, but with you. I smiled reading your post and others b/c I cou (this IDIOT W8 - at this typing point, my charms popped up, the big clock flashed on the bottom left and the font is so small I can barely read it - right now I've lost it and am laughing my head off with tears in my eyes - truly I am!)....charms and clock just appeared again as I was getting ready to resume my note. I swear it's possessed - it knows what I want to do and it won't let me. LOL! ........co ....3rd time charms/clock........what the heck? I'm laughing uncontrollably now. ..........could (it's working - maybe) ...now I forgot what I wanted to say!!??!?!?! oh yea, I smiled reading (enter charms/clock number 4 thank you NOT) your post b/c I co (5th time) b/c I could have written it myself. THIS IS RIDICULOUS!

Somebody please tell me what the "charms" are! Is it the Search/Share/Start/Devices/Settings bar to the right? Only putting the cursor in the right hand corner makes that pop up. If you like to keep your cursor off to the side, just don't put it *there*, and you won't have a problem.

Edit: I just found that the top right corner does it too. Stay away from the corners! Unless you're looking for something.

Thank you all for this thread.

I was trying to decide between just *any* computer for the kids, or a Mac. I vowed never to personally own a Windows computer ever again, but it was for the kids...

Mac it is. I'll just have to save a little longer.

I :001_wub: my Macbook Pro.

Somebody please tell me what the "charms" are! Is it the Search/Share/Start/Devices/Settings bar to the right? Only putting the cursor in the right hand corner makes that pop up. If you like to keep your cursor off to the side, just don't put it *there*, and you won't have a problem.

Edit: I just found that the top right corner does it too. Stay away from the corners! Unless you're looking for something.

Charms is the phrase used for a set of special icons - they are bundled on the right side and accessible by hovering your cursor there. This is so idiotic, sorry. When I don't want the charms they appear. Now that I'm trying to access them they decide to not appear for me. Search, share, start, devices and settings are called "charms". Why? No special reason. Hover over the upper right or lower right.

To the pp about buying pc vs. mac. It's just w8 that's a mess and I had some issues with the vista jumping around. I'm wondering if a mouse would solve the problems? I'm not computer savvy, but have learned that overall macs are a "safe" way to go. Not as many viruses, etc.

Charms is the phrase used for a set of special icons - they are bundled on the right side and accessible by hovering your cursor there. This is so idiotic, sorry. When I don't want the charms they appear. Now that I'm trying to access them they decide to not appear for me. Search, share, start, devices and settings are called "charms". Why? No special reason. Hover over the upper right or lower right.

Ok, that's what I was thinking they must be. Yeah, it's only the upper right corner and lower right corner that accesses them. So go there if you want them; keep your cursor away from that area if you don't.

I really like Windows 8. I don't have any problems with it. I had a little bit of a learning curve to figure out how to do a couple of things when we first got it, but now I've got the hang of it.

Ok, that's what I was thinking they must be. Yeah, it's only the upper right corner and lower right corner that accesses them. So go there if you want them; keep your cursor away from that area if you don't.

I really like Windows 8. I don't have any problems with it. I had a little bit of a learning curve to figure out how to do a couple of things when we first got it, but now I've got the hang of it.

LOL! Stay away from it. Easier said than done. So, I'll be on the wtm site and go to the "gear" to run a search (upper right of screen) and the charms pop up. IOW, people probably won't be able to stay away from that corner.

I didn't read the other replies, but you can switch it to a previous version. My DH did it on our neice's computer, but I'm not sure how. I can ask him if you want me to...

I'll see what I can find out from our local geek squad. If that doesn't pan out, I'll contact you. Thanks for the offer!!!

This! This is me. I want someone to show me the beauty of this OS, how it will make my life so much easier, but so far, no takers.

I got windows 8 at the same time the forums changed. and blamed it on the forums.

I prefer metro(with apps), but if you view the forums on metro there are several things that don't work. If I view in desktop(windows d for the shortcut), I have more options. posting in desktop I have to click the upper left "lightswitch" for paragraph in the reply box.

To the pp about buying pc vs. mac. It's just w8 that's a mess and I had some issues with the vista jumping around. I'm wondering if a mouse would solve the problems? I'm not computer savvy, but have learned that overall macs are a "safe" way to go. Not as many viruses, etc.

my kids prefer a mouse.

my kids prefer a mouse.

I missed that comment about the mouse...I use a mouse with mine--I don't have a touch screen, if that's what you're referring to, sheryl. I do have a touch pad, but prefer the mouse most of the time.

swimmermom3, i'm laughing b/c i can't help you there - no sales pitch here to buy w8. LOL! gardeningmomma, yes, this is a laptop so we have a touch pad and a mouse when we plug it in. i believe there is a new touch screen which we do not have.