Menu

Is there a secular all-in-one language arts curriculum?

mo2

GP is secular. It includes literature, light spelling, light grammar, writing topics (but not writing instruction), light punctuation, spoken English topics and ideas for further reading.

I used all the books with one child or the other. They worked really well for us. I was happy teaching writing myself and the amount of spelling and grammar was perfect for my boys. I added in Lightning Literature 7 to study complete works, but otherwise GP was a complete programme for us.

There are samples on the GP site - Junior 1 is age 7-8, SY English 1 is for age 10-11 and Year 9 is for age 13-14.

Do ask if you have any questions.

Laura

what ages are your kids, and what do you mean by all-in-one? do you need phonics and handwriting? do you need literature analysis and advanced grammar?

I've got kids from 4-10 yrs, so ideally, I would like a program that I could use from grades 1 to 8 (or so). I am satisfied teaching phonics and handwriting on my own, I think, but if they are included, that's fine too. I would like literature, comprehension, grammar, and composition.

Logic of English is primarily spelling and phonics with dictation and grammar .. . i'm not sure its what she wants and certainly doesnt cover several grades - i mean, you can use it with several ages, but it isnt something you can use again, there's only 1 level, right?

i'm a big bravewriter fan, but part of bravewriter's philosophy is that you dont need explicit instruction in grammar. Its mostly about writing, but its more of a teaching philosophy, and the 'bravewriter lifestyle' which is about interacting with writing every day, not necessarily writing every day, and the instruction is not explicit (like write a sentence with an adverb . .nothing like that). She has additional light add-ons which are literature-based.

i also wonder if you might want to try something like a unit from Moving Beyond the Page? I think its integrated history/language arts - i havent used it but many people really like it and its secular, and you can buy individual units first, to see how it works for you.

you could also look at Michael Clay Thompson - its aimed at gifted kids from 3rd to 8th or so, but some use it with more average kids at higher ages. It is heavy on grammar, writing, also has poetry and a newer lit component.

GP is secular. It includes literature, light spelling, light grammar, writing topics (but not writing instruction), light punctuation, spoken English topics and ideas for further reading.

I used all the books with one child or the other. They worked really well for us. I was happy teaching writing myself and the amount of spelling and grammar was perfect for my boys. I added in Lightning Literature 7 to study complete works, but otherwise GP was a complete programme for us.

There are samples on the GP site - Junior 1 is age 7-8, SY English 1 is for age 10-11 and Year 9 is for age 13-14.

Do ask if you have any questions.

Laura

Thank you, Laura. The only thing that worries me is the lack of writing instruction. I don't necessarily know how to teach writing on my own.

Logic of English Essentials covers a lot. You'd still have to add literature, though.

I can't figure this out. The website is not very helpful. Is it a 1-year program? Does it include writing instruction? Through what level?

Logic of English is primarily spelling and phonics with dictation and grammar .. . i'm not sure its what she wants and certainly doesnt cover several grades - i mean, you can use it with several ages, but it isnt something you can use again, there's only 1 level, right?

I'm having a hard time figuring this out as well. I may have to do some searches for posts on here about LOE.

i'm a big bravewriter fan, but part of bravewriter's philosophy is that you dont need explicit instruction in grammar. Its mostly about writing, but its more of a teaching philosophy, and the 'bravewriter lifestyle' which is about interacting with writing every day, not necessarily writing every day, and the instruction is not explicit (like write a sentence with an adverb . .nothing like that). She has additional light add-ons which are literature-based.

I keep looking at Bravewriter but then always decide against it for some reason. Do you only use The Writer's Jungle, or do you also use the Wand or Arrow, etc? I think I would have to use one of them (at least for awhile) to get a feel for the program.

i also wonder if you might want to try something like a unit from Moving Beyond the Page? I think its integrated history/language arts - i havent used it but many people really like it and its secular, and you can buy individual units first, to see how it works for you.

you could also look at Michael Clay Thompson - its aimed at gifted kids from 3rd to 8th or so, but some use it with more average kids at higher ages. It is heavy on grammar, writing, also has poetry and a newer lit component.

I will look at MTBP and MCT. If I remember right, MCT may be out of my price range.

Thank you for all the help!

I still can't figure it all out. I think GP would expect too much writing with too little instruction in that area. But I guess I could add WWE.

MTBP and MCT are just too expensive for me right now.

Bravewriter looks good but doesn't have explicit grammar instruction. But I could always throw in a year of intensse grammar in the upper middle school years.

And I still don't understand LOE.

It seems that no matter what I do, I'm going to have to supplement somewhere.

Collins English Skills books are similar to Galore Park. I haven't had luck finding samples online, but you can see the reduced answer pages here: http://www.collinseducation.com/Downloads/Pages/SeriesDownloads.aspx?SeriesTitle=Collins%20English%20Skills&Level1=Primary&Level2=

I also think that Write from the Start by Teacher Created Resources is similar, but has writing instruction. It only covers grades 3-6, though. http://www.teachercreated.com/products/search-results.php?q=write+from+the+start

Collins English Skills books are similar to Galore Park. I haven't had luck finding samples online, but you can see the reduced answer pages here: http://www.collinsed...Primary&Level2=

I also think that Write from the Start by Teacher Created Resources is similar, but has writing instruction. It only covers grades 3-6, though. http://www.teachercr... from the start

Thanks! I've never heard of these.

Spalding can be all in one.

Most people prefer to use different things, though. That isn't the same thing as supplementing. :-)

Spalding could be your primary English: reading (learning to read, not the same as reading meaning literature and whatnot), spelling, penmanship, capitalization and punctuation, simple writing.

Easy Grammar is secular. So is Writing Strands.

Bravewriter looks good but doesn't have explicit grammar instruction. But I could always throw in a year of intensse grammar in the upper middle school years.

If you are interested in using The Arrow from Bravewriter, it might interest you to know that they have added more grammar into the lessons this year. From the website:

A word about grammar: Brave Writer is adding a more conscious grammar component to the Arrow this year! We will give you specific grammar notes that relate to the passage in order to help you guide your children into a better understanding of how grammar supports and fosters beautiful writing.

OP, could you elaborate on why you want all in one LA? Are you frustrated with having different books to juggle or is it something else? What are you using now?

For us, it would be very, very difficult to implement all in one LA, because LA covers so many skill areas (spelling, vocab, grammar, composition, reading) and DS is at different levels in all of them, plus having different levels of input vs. output ability.

Most people prefer to use different things, though. That isn't the same thing as supplementing. :-)

I agree. Using multiple resources does not have to be the same as supplementing. LA covers so many different skills, and I like to choose individual skill-specific programs that are a good fit for DS AND well-regarded in each skill area. It's hard to find an all in one program that does that. :coolgleamA:

I actually decided against switching to LOE from AAS because I wanted something that was just phonics-based spelling, rather than phonics/spelling/vocab/grammar/writing all in one. It's the same reason I wouldn't use Phonics Road.

Here are some threads on LOE that you might find helpful:

http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/440740-talk-to-me-about-logic-of-english/

http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/435689-is-the-logic-of-english-and-spelling-or-english-program/

http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/456183-logic-of-english-alone-or-with-other-curric/

OP, could you elaborate on why you want all in one LA? Are you frustrated with having different books to juggle or is it something else? What are you using now?

For us, it would be very, very difficult to implement all in one LA, because LA covers so many skill areas (spelling, vocab, grammar, composition, reading) and DS is at different levels in all of them, plus having different levels of input vs. output ability.

I'm trying to streamline, I guess. I have been working full time in addition to homeschooling. I was hoping to be able to cut back my hours to part time, but now it doesn't look like that is going to happen anytime in the foreseeable future. I have a 10yo and my son is 6 this year, so it's time to ramp things up a little bit for him. The only thing I am using right now that I love and want to keep is AAS. We were doing IEW but it just isn't working for DD. I was looking for an all-in-one or even just something that would combine, say, grammar and writing.

I actually decided against switching to LOE from AAS because I wanted something that was just phonics-based spelling, rather than phonics/spelling/vocab/grammar/writing all in one. It's the same reason I wouldn't use Phonics Road.

Here are some threads on LOE that you might find helpful:

http://forums.welltr...gic-of-english/

http://forums.welltr...nglish-program/

http://forums.welltr...h-other-curric/

And it's so kewl that Spalding can be used just for the spelling lesson. :D

I'm trying to streamline, I guess. I have been working full time in addition to homeschooling. I was hoping to be able to cut back my hours to part time, but now it doesn't look like that is going to happen anytime in the foreseeable future. I have a 10yo and my son is 6 this year, so it's time to ramp things up a little bit for him. The only thing I am using right now that I love and want to keep is AAS. We were doing IEW but it just isn't working for DD. I was looking for an all-in-one or even just something that would combine, say, grammar and writing.

Hmmm. I see your point. What about IEW isn't working for your DD?

Hake (secular) and R&S (non secular) both combine grammar and writing. I can't think of others right now, but I'm sure there are some. Hopefully others will chime in.

This program is cheap, easy, and IMHO very well-done and fairly comprehensive. It doesn't cover spelling (but you said you want to continue with AAS, so that wouldn't be an issue). It covers grammar (somewhat light), mechanics, and writing. The writing instruction is a writer's workshop format. There is a focus on prepping for standardized tests. You may or may not be turned-off by the 'public school' feel of it. It doesn't bother me, but I've only used it for a brief time with my older girls and they already had a good foundation with the more classical presentation of English via copy work, narration, and dictation. I knew they would be going to PS eventually, so it made sense for them. I'm not currently using it with my 8 year old, but may do a few of the Writer's Workshops over the summer because I think she'd enjoy them and could use some more 'conventional' writing instruction. Check out the samples on the publisher's website and report back what you think.

http://www.curriculu...x?title=write�� They must have state-specific editions. This link will take you to the Michigan page because they obviously know who I am (scary), but I'm sure you could find whatever edition suits your purposes.