Menu

Yet another reading recommendations thread - If she loved EB White...

I need some recommendations for my 6yo.

She's capable of nearly anything I give her. I want it to be quality literature.

She doesn't seem to care much about stories about kids in social dilemmas or experiences. I have a feeling she's a bit immature/inexperienced in that background.

She LOVES stories with animals as the main character. She really devoured all of the EB White books.

She did enjoy the Pippi Longstocking books.

She also seemed to enjoy some of the Ramona books, though the ones with older Ramona weren't as appreciated. (See the comment about kids in social situations/dilemmas.)

She just finished up the Whipping Boy and didn't care for it ALL. As such, her retention plummeted.

She went on a binge to finish all of the Magic Tree House books in two weeks and really enjoyed those. She told me they were like candy! Lol

Suggestions?

I need some recommendations for my 6yo.

She's capable of nearly anything I give her. I want it to be quality literature.

She doesn't seem to care much about stories about kids in social dilemmas or experiences. I have a feeling she's a bit immature/inexperienced in that background.

She LOVES stories with animals as the main character. She really devoured all of the EB White books.

She did enjoy the Pippi Longstocking books.

She also seemed to enjoy some of the Ramona books, though the ones with older Ramona weren't as appreciated. (See the comment about kids in social situations/dilemmas.)

She just finished up the Whipping Boy and didn't care for it ALL. As such, her retention plummeted.

She went on a binge to finish all of the Magic Tree House books in two weeks and really enjoyed those. She told me they were like candy! Lol

Suggestions?

Hmm, Dick King-Smith? Definitely a bit easier than EB White, but better quality than Magic Treehouse. Also, the Tum-Tum and Nutmeg books, and, if you can find them, the Brambly Hedge books. The Cricket in Times Square, Ginger Pye (and maybe more by Eleanor Estes), The Incredible Journey (might need to be a readaloud or an audiobook, but it might really challenge her too--beautifully written), Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of NIMH (you guys might read that together as a mother-daughter book club thing, there's a LOT of subtext to discuss there, in addition to just being an amazing story), The Lighthouse Family books (easy, but but so sweet), Socks and the Ralph S. Mouse books by Beverly Cleary...

I see Dick King Smith has been recommended. That's who I instantly thought of when I saw your question. Have you looked at any James Herriot? He wrote beautiful wonderful animal stories based on his experiences as a country vet in England.

I recommend Thornton Burgess. But that has already been mentioned, and will likely be mentioned again. So I'll go with something different.

Freddy the Pig books

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freddy_the_Pig

And some of the characters in the Enchanted Forest series are animals:

http://www.amazon.com/The-Enchanted-Forest-Chronicles-Searching/dp/0152050523/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1363229646&sr=8-4&keywords=Enchanted+Forest

And because it's great and everyone should listen to it, "The Incredible Journey". But I personally like it as an audio book.

If she is sensitive she might not like it (A main character dies) try the Poppy series by Avi

If the Thornton Burgess books are well recieved, also try Arthur Scott Bailey. He has lots of free stuff for the Kindle, and are slightly simpler than the Burgess books.

y

we are reading the tale of Benny Badger and my son loves it. Good vocabulary but the chapters aren't that long.

here's a list of free audiobook and ebooks. I don't really recommend the audiobooks, at least some of them, because the reader is horrid.

http://www.booksshouldbefree.com/search?cx=partner-pub-5879764092668092%3Awdqcfbe9xi9&cof=FORID%3A10&ie=UTF-8&q=arthur+scott+bailey&siteurl=www.booksshouldbefree.com%2Fbook%2Fhans-brinker-or-the-silver-skates-by-mary-mapes-dodge&ref=&ss=2104j1575538j5

Some of these may be a bit of a stretch for her, but I'm trying to think of stories DD has enjoyed. She LOVES animals.

Marguerite Henry has written quite a few books about horses.

Catwings

the Poppy series (I haven't personally read)

Lassie, Come Home

Hurry Home, Candy

The Incredible Journey

all the Beatrix Potter books

Tumtum and Nutmeg

Hachiko Waits

Freddy Goes to Florida (and the rest of the series)

Bambi

The Wind in the Willows

Just So Stories

The Black Stallion

My Chincoteague Pony

The Curious George Treasury

Black Beauty

The School Mouse

Abel's Island