Menu

Reading material for sensitive 4yo at 3/4gr level?

Momof3

Anyone have a list of nice, simple chapter books (not interested in dark, depressing, shocking, heavy-topic stuff) for my ds4? He reads at a 3rd to 4th grade level, and my problem is that it seems like everything geared for that age is sooo dark nowadays! Ds4 is extremely sensitive. He likes adventure but can only take so much suspense. He's read some Little House, Charlotte's Web, Stuart Little...and a few of the BJU chapter books. (We'll prob do Narnia at some point, but he's not quite ready for that yet.) He does enjoy non-fiction as well. I'm looking for well-written non-morbid children's chapter books. :) Any suggestions?

I have a kid who was like that around the same age.

The Boxcar Children (have some mild suspense to them) and The Magic Treehouse are very formulaic, but I think once they know they always turn out okay, they feel safe in reading them.

Ditto Thornton Burgess

Cynthia Rylant books-Cobblestreet Cousins maybe? The Lighthouse Family is sort of in between a picture and chapter book, but very charming and cozy.

Cam Jansen

Geronimo Stilton

TumTum and Nutmeg (and sequel)

Misty

The Toothpaste Millionaire (can't remember the whole story but not scary)

Henry Huggins

Mouse and the Motorcycle

At that reading level we really enjoyed Mr Popper's Penguins. The 3 Pippi Longstocking books were also favorites. The Clementine books are basically updated Ramona books without the heavy family issues.

Another recommendation slightly above your current range is the first 2 Dr Dolittle books. They are 5th grade level but there are illustrated versions by Michael Hague for the first 2 books that are excellent.

-chris

Guest RachelFM

Hey, we live in that boat! My 5 year old has been reading for almost two years, which has meant hundreds of books checked out from the library. My basic rule of thumb has been to go for things that are either non-fiction or involve talking animals. The fiction items I would add to the already great list begun are the "Toys Go Out" books by Emily Jenkins, the Soup books by Robert Newton Peck, lots of stuff by Daniel Pinkwater, the Dodsworth books by Tim Egan, the Paddington books by Michael Bond, the Akimbo books by Alexander McCall Smith and the Mercy Watson books by Kate DiCamillo. Please also run to your library and get "How to Scratch a Wombat."

Don't be afraid to swing for the fences with things like Just So Stories by Rudyard Kipling or more challenging classics.

I'll agree with a lot of them that have already been mentioned. We had the same problem with my kids (although, oddly enough, my oldest LOVED Kate DiCamillo books when he was 4, even though they're very intense at times). Another suggestion is to look for classics and look at the chapter book line that Barefoot Books has. My kids also liked a few Greek mythology stories (screened, of course!). Oh, wait - there is also a great children's series by Silver Falls Publishing (independent publisher... but I don't think it's in print anymore... I think it's only available as ebooks on Amazon... we got it when it was still in print).

Great! Thanks so much! I have read a few/several of the suggestions (Thorton Burgess, Mouse & the Motorcycle, etc.) aloud to the kids already...but appreciate the reminder. Ds4 would prob enjoy revisiting those on his own. And I've got a looong list to take to the library with me this weekend! :)

Most of the Beverley Cleary Books (Socks, Mouse and the Motorcycle, Ramona, Henry Huggins etc)

Many of the Dick King Smith Books (all the early reader ones are fine and most of the others too - I have only read most of the animal ones however, so not too sure about some of them)

Professor Branestawm - get the versions with single stories in them and larger print as the print size gets very very small in the collections.

Meindert De Jong writes a number of books that would be suitable

Picture books with good vocabulary as many of them are at a fourth grade reading level and are just right for 4 year olds since that is who they are meant to be read to.

Many of the Enid Blyton books (though even these need to be watched for archaic ways of relating to people - the Magic Faraway Tree series, The Wishing Chair and even the Naughtiest Girl in the school series seem to be ok)

My 5 year old enjoyed hearing The Indian in the Cupboard but this one is rather full of suspense and possibly not suitable for sensitive children

Pippi Longstocking