Menu

Fun things to do in Columbus, OH

history_junkie

The Zoo is great!

It is one of the best zoos. How could it not be?

There's a history museum (maybe The Ohio Historical Society?) right next to the fairgrounds. Is anything happening in the fairgrounds expo center while you're there?

If you end up going to COSI, I would also go to the Spaghetti Warehouse for dinner. One of my all time favorite places to eat.

I think there's something really good on Broad St, I can't remember what though. Maybe somebody who currently lives there knows.

Ok, remind me. You're coming here for his business or only for pleasure? And you want to walk or not walk? The zoo is a ton of walking. The weather is not that great here right now, so I can't fathom bothering to do it. I've been wanting to take my ds, and I'm sure not bothering right now.

Yes, from COSI you're close to the art museum and the spaghetti warehouse.

I don't know, this is just so weird thinking of someone coming to Columbus for a vacation, lol. I travel other places, but I'd never come here. Whatever. Fun things to do.

-Half Price Books. Super fun, and then you have momentos.

-OSU football stadium. Football is religion in the area. Don't know where you live, but just saying you were there... I haven't been to the stadium myself, though dh has gone to games with friends. I can't tell you if you can get in just to visit, but you should certainly check. From there eat lunch at Caine's (which has only the BEST chicken, my lands). A Half Price Books, Whole Foods, and other nifty places will be nearby. Stop at Graeters for dessert. I've heard the french bistro place there on Lane is good, haven't been in myself.

-From Dublin you're a reasonable drive to Amish country, and unless that's common where you live, I'd consider doing it. Behalt is fascinating, and there are house/farm tours, shops, furniture stores, yummy restaurants, you name it.

-Sure go to Easton, but it's all outdoors or mostly outdoors and a lot of walking. I would go just for dinner and then walk around and do B&N, Williams-Sonoma, blah blah. They have a large baby/kids Gap, so that would be fun for you. :) As far as eating, make reservations. If you've never eaten PF Changs, definitely do that. If you have already eaten PF Changs, well there are tons of other places. My dh likes the italian place in the middle, I forget the name. I always get offended by big prices and small servings, so I'm annoyed by it. But it's fine. There's also some interesting ethnic food there.

-Get out of the city and drive some more places. You're a hop, skip, and jump from Dayton Air Force Base. Or go to the Neil Armstrong museum. You could take a day trip to Cincinnati, where you could do all Underground Railroad things. In fact, in your shoes (if you're staying for free in Columbus and it doesn't blow the budget or sound impractical), you might spend *one* night down in Cincy just to give you two days down there. That way you can do all the Underground RR stuff (there's a LOT) and eat BBQ at Montgomery Inn.

-All the Cameron Mitchell restaurants are considered quite good, so make some plans to treat yourself. http://www.thegreatc...px?cid=9253 My friends like the Ruth's Chris Steakhouse (owned by Cameron Mitchell). I'm not a steak person myself, so I prefer Cameron's. You can link to it from that link. It's modern American, very *adult*. You can see them cooking, white table cloths, etc. Red pepper soup and lobster and just very nice, really special.

-The chinese restaurants on 161/Dublin Granville through the middle of the city are good. There are a couple biggees, and I've enjoyed both of them. I'm not saying they're the best in the city, as I haven't tried EVERYTHING, lol. I'm just saying when we're driving that way and need to eat, that's where we stop. Or ease your budget and go to the Friendly's across the street for shakes.

-Btw, the BEST ICE CREAM IN TOWN is not Graeters (even though it's a fun trip to their factory/store). Oh, I take that back. I'm insane for Graeter's blueberry pie ice cream. Anyways, *Knights* is where it's at. It's in Westerville, just a minute off 270, and it's SO worth the effort. Don't fail to do this. You might do it the first night so you can do it again EVERY night. You're pregnant, and pregnant women are ALLOWED to indulge. This is ice cream so good the line is out the door at 10 pm at night! You want this. :)

-You might try getting some tickets to events. I get emails from Ticketmaster, and there's always a ton of stuff going on. And because it's the state capitol, it's all kinds of stuff you wouldn't expect, like Cirque and juggling shows and sports and unusual musical events and...

-The metro parks are nice. None are as cool as in Louisville, at least not the ones I've been too. In Louisville they have this metropark that is just GORGEOUS, with fountains and beautiful owners with beautiful dogs... It's all hilly and my little one went rolling down the steep grasses... just fabulous. Columbus is not so hip. But if you just want a break or a trail or a pond and geese, it will do.

-Some people like the German Village or the North Market. Look them up and see if they catch your fancy.

-We just got a new Cabela's up at Polaris on 71. If you don't know what Cabela's is, well come be educated, lol. It's sort of a Mecca for hunters. ;) I haven't been to the new one, but typically they're visually popping, with aquariums and mounts and... pretty amazing. Once you're there you can drive over to the LakeShore Learning store to do some shopping (and bore your man stiff), go to Polaris and hit the smocked clothing store (which you really ought to do, wowsers), and eat lunch at the ethnic places in the cafeteria. There's another Caine's near Lakeshore Learning too btw. Just in case you need an excuse to eat it again. There's also a COSI (sandwhich chain I like) near there too. And a Two Guys (haven't eaten there, just remember my cousin saying she likes it).

This is getting ridiculous!!! All I'm talking is food!! :drool5:

Do you quilt? You're going to be minutes away from several seriously nice quilting shops. Now would be the time to get the fabric addiction. :)

Hmm, normally I'd suggest a daytrip to Granville (boring) or Longaberger (used to be better). Oh, oh, I know what you would like! Well your dh would like it, and you can just groan or stay in the car if it's not practical. Just north of Columbus are some caverns. Olentangy Indian Caverns. The steps are steep, and of course they're not exactly Virginia or Oregon. But they're interesting and have a good story. When you're driving that way, keep going a bit further to the (dude, now you'll see how bad my memory is) tomb of xyz president. Harding? No, Harding has a house. That's further up, but it's REALLY fascinating if you want to make the drive. It's probably an hour from Columbus. You can do that and circle up to Kelly's Island or come straight across and hit Edison's house (terrific, terrific tour, have done that twice) and then get back. When you're in Columbus, you're PERFECT for daytrips. Don't stay put in Columbus. It's just NOT that exciting (imho).

Btw, don't know when you're coming, but there's a book called Day Trips from Columbus that you can pick up probably used for a song.

Now I'm trying to remember that name and I'm too lazy to dig up a map. The tomb is this big grecian temple like thing with pillars and trees in the middle and lots of area around to picnic. It's really fantastic and worth doing. Just a few minutes up from the Olentangy Caverns. There's another caverns, I think called the Ohio Caverns ,that claim to be so awesome. They're on 23 north quite a bit. Olentagy is on 71 north, iirc. Means you can do Cabelas and the caverns and the tomb all in one easy day. (Cabelas is at Polaris, on 71.) Anyways, the Ohio Caverns are very tight, a long drive, and for us they just kinda weren't worth the effort. More billing than production. But we stop for caverns everywhere we travel. They're fine, we took friends and pictures. I just wouldn't squeeze my pregnant bod to hard to get there. If you're in the area, sure stop. it's in the middle of nowhere though.

Check out this website and see if anything fun jumps out at you. Depending on when you come, there will be craft fairs, etc. http://www.ohiotraveler.com

PS. The outlets on the way to Cincy are fun. Not for him, but for you, lol.

PPS. I'm NOT crazy, it was Harding's tomb! So you can see that and his house. Map it out, but I'll bet you could make the loop in a day and hit the tomb, the house, Tiffen glass, and Edison's house.

Speaking of glass, there were numerous glass makers in Ohio. Fenton just closed. The Baker Family Glass Museum is ASTOUNDING. It's south of Cambridge, so that's probably, what, 1 1/2 hours from Columbus? Still, if you like glass, doing the circuit or hitting any of the glass museums will be fun. The Heisey museum in Newark is worth doing. While you're there, search for the 14 bronze statues they've planted around the area. They're fun. (Newark is just 45 min. east of Dublin.)

More crazy options. Do you like to antique? There's a HUGE antique mall on the south side of Columbus that I was eyeing to take my step father to and never have. In Mount Vernon there are a number of adorable shops. I haven't done it, but I *think* you can take 62 from Columbus to Mt. Vernon rather directly. Google and see how long it will be. Anyways, there are a could DE-LISH mexican restaurants when you get there and numerous antique shops to keep you busy. It's just a charming town. If you like to campus walk, at that point you're near Kenyon. Haven't been there myself but have wanted to stop.

Haven't been there, but the Thurber House is supposed to be neat. And as someone else said, the OHS (Ohio Historical Society) operates 80 some sites throughout the state. You can look at their site and get all kinds of ideas to things you didn't know existed. There's a half-way house midway between Columbus and Cincy that you could do on an Underground RR themed trip. Dunbar? I forget. Haven't been there yet. There is something with indians over that way too, haven't been there either. It's just all stuff on my someday/next time list. :)

Don't miss list

Ritter's frozen custard

Donatos Pizzeria( thin crust, edge to edge topping...yumm)

Columbus zoo

COSI

Easton town center

North market ( international)

German village

The small eateries around OSU. Eclectic and fun. They cater to the student population which is international.

Ok, remind me. You're coming here for his business or only for pleasure? And you want to walk or not walk? The zoo is a ton of walking.

We're going to Columbus because we live in Cincy and Columbus is not Cincy :-) If we stayed home, we would be too productive, so I want to get away, but not drive for hours (pregnant woman that I am), plus, we've done the Cincy museums and such. I'm ok with some walking, but we'll have to take it a day at a time...

Your ideas are great! Thanks so much for putting together so much info. I completely agree with you that Graeter's just about the best, but now I'm intrigued to check out the other place you mentioned. :drool:

ETA: Ok, I reread your post, and now I definitely have to check out Knights! Anything that can rival Graeter's is worth a stop (or three).

I don't know, this is just so weird thinking of someone coming to Columbus for a vacation, lol. I travel other places, but I'd never come here. Whatever.

This made me LOL. My Dad lives in British Columbia. He gets SO bored when he comes here to visit. He even called into a radio show because the host was from Columbus. He calls and is like, "What is there to do in Columbus anyways..." One year I took him everywhere I could think, Zoo, Historical society, Easton, Half Price, tons of restaurants and he was still bored. He likes the greater Dayton area a bit better.

This made me LOL. My Dad lives in British Columbia. He gets SO bored when he comes here to visit. He even called into a radio show because the host was from Columbus. He calls and is like, "What is there to do in Columbus anyways..." One year I took him everywhere I could think, Zoo, Historical society, Easton, Half Price, tons of restaurants and he was still bored. He likes the greater Dayton area a bit better.

Haha! I've grown up in Cincy and went to school near Dayton. What's there to do in Dayton anyway??

Haha! I've grown up in Cincy and went to school near Dayton. What's there to do in Dayton anyway??

I agree with you about Dayton, lol. I lived in Kettering and West Carrolton. I personally prefer Columbus. I am an outdoors girl, so I love all the State parks we have here. My in-laws live in Kettering. My Dad likes the Airforce Museum, Carillion Park, there is a Native American ruins/village he enjoyed, and he likes the accessibility to other places. We drove and drove when he visited. He is not a sit and visit type of person. We ended up driving to Monroe, Ohio and checking out one of the Piatt Castles. The one with the point that has a flat top. It was super fun and the grounds are GORGEOUS in the spring. They have a ton of lilac shrubs.

I thought of something else fun to do in here in Columbus, The Olentangy Indian Caverns. They have a short tour that is quite interesting and they have lovely grounds.

I agree with you about Dayton, lol. I lived in Kettering and West Carrolton. I personally prefer Columbus. I am an outdoors girl, so I love all the State parks we have here. My in-laws live in Kettering. My Dad likes the Airforce Museum, Carillion Park, there is a Native American ruins/village he enjoyed, and he likes the accessibility to other places. We drove and drove when he visited. He is not a sit and visit type of person. We ended up driving to Monroe, Ohio and checking out one of the Piatt Castles. The one with the point that has a flat top. It was super fun and the grounds are GORGEOUS in the spring. They have a ton of lilac shrubs.

I thought of something else fun to do in here in Columbus, The Olentangy Indian Caverns. They have a short tour that is quite interesting and they have lovely grounds.

I've done the Airforce Museum and we did Carillion Park ages ago. Have you ever been to Fort Ancient? That's not really Dayton...closer to Morrow/ Lebanon. Piatt Castles sounds neat, too.

Ok, just to be ornery, I'll suggest you consider going *south*. From Cincy you're only a couple hours to Louisville. Louisville will have better weather than Columbus and might be getting more of their spring stuff. We still have SNOW for pity's sake. That's why I'm saying 30 degrees, pregnant feet, the zoo, it just doesn't sound fun. Louisville has GORGEOUS parks (try Cherokee, can't remember if this is the one we went to), super cool restaurants, the riverfront. If you cross the bridge there's this fossil bed on the river. I didn't get a chance to go when we were there but so wanted to. The Mega Caverns in Louisville are AMAZING and not what you think. They'll entrance both of you, as they're this happy mixture of history and science. You don't walk through them but ride, so they'd be great for you. Oh, check out Lynn's Paradise Cafe. And of course there's the Crab Shack right on the water. Loved Louisville. And if you want the zoo, I liked Louisville's zoo a lot. You get closer to the animals than you do in Columbus.

From Louisville you can take day trips to the caverns further south, horse stuff to the east, etc.

Seriously, go south. Columbus isn't worth it.

Alternate suggestion. Don't do Columbus. Instead go up to Amish country, spend two days, then drive by Harry London, the Hoover museum house, Warther Carving (will blow your mind!), the Baker Family Glass Museum, and go down to Marietta. It's beautiful down there with the river, and you can take a ride on a boat, do the locks, see the history of the area. Spend a couple days, catch a show. On your way back stop at Coshocton (1/2 day) (or the Bob Evans farm and the longhorn steer ranch) and then hit the Heisey museum in Newark. Then head home.

You can easily kill 2-3 days in Amish country. There's an animal ride where you feed them, Behalt, Yoder farm to tour, lots of shops, delish restaurants, etc.

When people come to visit, that's where I take them.

You guys are making me so sad! I just want to go home already!! I hate the desert!

I don't think I saw mention of the conservatory? Are the butterflies open yet? Oh the butterflies. I want to see the butterflies.... Boo hoo

Somebody in our area was organizing a trip, but I haven't really paid attention, sorry. Yes, there are butterflies at the conservatory and I'm assuming it's soon or now.

Alternate suggestion. Don't do Columbus. Instead go up to Amish country, spend two days, then drive by Harry London, the Hoover museum house, Warther Carving (will blow your mind!), the Baker Family Glass Museum, and go down to Marietta. It's beautiful down there with the river, and you can take a ride on a boat, do the locks, see the history of the area. Spend a couple days, catch a show. On your way back stop at Coshocton (1/2 day) (or the Bob Evans farm and the longhorn steer ranch) and then hit the Heisey museum in Newark. Then head home.

You can easily kill 2-3 days in Amish country. There's an animal ride where you feed them, Behalt, Yoder farm to tour, lots of shops, delish restaurants, etc.

When people come to visit, that's where I take them.

Thanks for the suggestions :-) My parents go away to Columbus for a weekend every year, and love it! I'd love Amish Country, but DH might just die. :glare:

Thanks for the suggestions :-) My parents go away to Columbus for a weekend every year, and love it! I'd love Amish Country, but DH might just die. :glare:

:lol: Yup, men vary. But you know there ARE manly things in that area. The Warther Carving is good and feeding the animals is fun. It's really nice when you have kids and take the grandparents. But yeah, people like different things. You'll have fun, whatever you do. :)

And Louisville is still nicer. ;)

:bigear:

We are hopefully hitting Columbus and other areas in Ohio on our next business/family trip in April. I can't wait for the cream puff at Schmidt's! My son loves their Bahama Mamas. Some great ideas on this thread, thanks!

With kids add in rock climbing, ice skating (5 great rinks to chose from!), etc. etc. There's a whistle factory, but I've never been to it.

FYI on Easton...My dh is a police officer in Ohio and I highly recommend that if you go to Easton that you do so during the day light. After dark there is a lot of drug trafficing that goes on in the parking lot. I don't want to seem doom and gloom, but if I wasn't familiar with an area I would want to know. We don't live in Columbus, but he has arrested enough people getting drugs from Easton to know. The rest of the suggestions sound great:)

FYI on Easton...My dh is a police officer in Ohio and I highly recommend that if you go to Easton that you do so during the day light. After dark there is a lot of drug trafficing that goes on in the parking lot. I don't want to seem doom and gloom, but if I wasn't familiar with an area I would want to know. We don't live in Columbus, but he has arrested enough people getting drugs from Easton to know. The rest of the suggestions sound great:)

Which parking lot? The parking lot over by Trader Joe's and the other at B&N are in the open, so I wouldn't *think* there would be too much shady there. The parking garages though, yeah I could see what you're saying. And no, I don't go over there late. I've been there after dark, but I park in the open. When I've been in the garages, I've had dh with me. You can also park on the street if it's not a busy time and you're willing to feed the meter. If you plan to stay till later, you could go early, get your preferred spot, eat dinner, do a movie or shop, and not have it be an issue. I usually see security people while I'm walking around there, and overall it's a busy, lit place.

Easton had a car jacking with a knife like a year ago. It was in the open, I'm pretty sure it was in the parking lot next to Abuelos. Plus there was the teen shooting where one brother shot the other. Sadly he died. I've never been a big fan of Easton. We lived a short way from in an apartment complex off Stelzer. The surrounding area got rougher by the year. We moved away two years ago.

Schmidts for sure. My mom grew up in German Village, so it is special to me. The giant bookstore that has been mentioned - love it! The OSU campus is fun to walk around, if you are a Buckeye fan. Cosi is cool, but really just enjoy each other!

Easton had a car jacking with a knife like a year ago. It was in the open, I'm pretty sure it was in the parking lot next to Abuelos. Plus there was the teen shooting where one brother shot the other. Sadly he died. I've never been a big fan of Easton. We lived a short way from in an apartment complex off Stelzer. The surrounding area got rougher by the year. We moved away two years ago.

I hadn't heard that story, but I don't watch the local news. Freaky! Turns out it was 2009, indicted in 2012. Take a look at the picture at this link. He was one scuzzy, nasty dude (not what I normally see when I go).

http://www.10tv.com/content/stories/2012/09/06/columbus-man-indicted-on-easton-carjacking-robberies.html

Schmidts for sure. My mom grew up in German Village, so it is special to me. The giant bookstore that has been mentioned - love it! The OSU campus is fun to walk around, if you are a Buckeye fan. Cosi is cool, but really just enjoy each other!

So what do you like to eat when you go to Schmidt's? Any favs there you recommend? I've never been there, and actually I've managed to go through my whole life avoiding sauerkraut, lol...

Ok, this got ridiculous. I'm watching this and I'm hungry, and this dude is eating HUGE cream puffs...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=Fr1ZREl4-rQ