Menu

People who know about Koreans, --- Updated thanks everyone!

Lara in Colo

DH has a HUGE business deal happening on Thursday with some out of town big wigs from S Korea.

I am really freaking out here.

I need to find a place to have dinner.

I do not want to offend them in anyway.

Would a fondu restaurant be alright? It is a classy place, that is quiet and used to large business parties.

People (usually four) share the same "cooking" pot. Would this be bad? Would the intimate style of dining be more like their home?

Any other suggestions? ( type of restaurant, not actual places)

There will be 10-14 all together and we need quiet.

The person paying is not super wealthy, so I don't want too expensive. (not Ruth's Chris or anything, but better than a noisy Outback).

Should I come to the dinner or would that put DH in a position of weakness?

Really freaking out here.

Seriously.

Lara

Husband-- who travels to Japan, china and frequently has to drive around people from singapore and korea when they visit here in Texas says this:

When they come here, they want to try and see local things. I usually take them to Steakhouses, good burger joints, etc.. American type food.

Their favorite thing they always ask to do is go to a gun range and shoot. (there's a stereotype that all texans own guns, so they do ask to try it...)

They always ask to go to a mall and shop for jeans to take back. (my question-- are jeans hard to get there? LOL)

Edited to add:

Hubby said fondue is fine.

It will not be a bad thing for the wife to be there, BUT if nobody else's wife is there, then tell her to stay home. THAT is awkward.

He said not to freak out. This is not a big deal, that the people will be excited to be there, trying something new that it wont matter. And that most S. Koreans are aware of American customs, etc... (although they always ask us to teach them to speak like a texan... Ya'll! LOL )

They always ask to go to a mall and shop for jeans to take back. (my question-- are jeans hard to get there? LOL)

Probably not, but they are probably crazy expensive for American name brands. Here in Germany, any American name brand costs 2-3 times what it costs in the States.

As to the OP, I agree that they would probably like something more American. I would skip fondu as they may not prefer sharing a pot with others. I would look for a nice steak house and see if they have a small room that you can use away from the noise. Then again, they may like the more noisy America places.

Ask your dh if he thinks you should come. I probably would not go if it's an actual business dinner where they will be discussing business, as I would have nothing to offer and would get tired of smiling politely all night. I do that enough at military balls and cocktail parties to say it is not fun.

Typical we host them in Korean restaurants with private rooms. If not, Japanese restaurants are also doable. Also preferably a place that serve Korean wine (forgot the name for it) or at least sake. If there is discussion of business deals during the meals, wives are typically not present. There is also an exchange of a token gift at the first meeting. This is more for the older generation (40s and above) of Koreans who are more particular about business etiquette and come in business suits. The younger crowd are easier to entertained and tend to come in jackets and jeans. It really depends on how tranditional your out of town guests are.

I agree with the idea of going to a steakhouse or someplace more *American*. For a business dinner, it's usually best to steer clear of places where dinner is a more complicated affair, like a fondue restaurant. Ordering at a fondue restaurant (at least the ones I've been to) can be a long, drawn-out affair where everyone needs to decide together on the cheeses and dipping foods since those are generally shared at the table. That's fun for a romantic dinner or a small group of friends, but it gets really complicated and can actually be quite frustrating when you have a large group of people (BTDT). Add in the language barrier and it becomes a disaster waiting to happen.

Try to find a restaurant that has a private room or more secluded space that you can reserve. Some let you do this for a large enough group with no extra charge.

As for you joining your DH, I would say it's probably best not to. I'm assuming none of the Korean businessmen will have their spouses with them. It puts your DH on a more level playing field with everyone else if it's just him. I don't have anything definitive to back that up with - that's just my gut feeling on the issue from attending various business dinners over the years.

Dh is from South Korea and we lived there several years, so I'm very familiar with Korean customs. I don't know much about fondue, but sharing a pot is not going to be an issue because this is how traditional Korean meals are served (each person gets their own bowl of rice and soup and the other dishes are communal) and the intimate style of dining would be good (very Korean). If fondue is dairy based (like a pp mentioned) stay clear because many Koreans are lactose intolerant. A Korean or American restaurant would be a good choice. You should stay home on a business dinner unless all spouses are attending. If ordering drinks that need to be poured (from a pitcher or bottle to a glass), your Dh needs to offer to pour drinks for each of the Korean businessmen first according to age (offer to oldest first) and he should pour their drinks for them with TWO hands. Then he should allow another businessman to pour his drink for him. When being introduced, a small bow (even a head nod with eyes lowered) will go a lot further than a handshake.

Alright, steakhouse it is.

I will probably bow out of the meeting, unless one of the other men brings his wife. As to my qualifications: I know ALL about what is going on, I used to be right beside DH doing what he does and before I had children, I was MORE knowledgeable than DH at certain aspects of this meeting. But I also understand that I am a woman and even American men would overlook me in business meetings.

What would be a good token gift for the meeting? (this is NOT the laidback type, they will be in suits and ties, even though they are touring DH's shop (an automotive engine shop).

The gift needs to be able to fly the next day (no fruit baskets).

You know what is REALLY scary?

They are touring the GM plant the day before!! That's sort of like them eating dinner at the White House, then eating in your home the next night!!

They want American food, agree with decision to go to a steakhouse. See if you can get a private room? As for a gift, if you want something reasonably priced, I'd get them Colorado Rockies BB hats. I am assuming you live in Co bc of your name, otherwise whatever is the local MLB team. If you wanted to spend a lot of money on a gift(i ahve no idea if this is a multi million dollar deal and $200 bucks is nothing so I'm throwing it all out there), take them to get cowboy boots. Also moderate prices....leather belts. When asians travel, they want "american" stuff, naturally. My in laws who live overseas love American alcohol, so Jack Daniels was always a hit, but I have no idea about flying with alcohol.

My husband is Korean and his father used to wine and dine in the Korean business world all the time.

One, no, don't go.

Two, I agree with an above poster that sharing a pot is nothing to worry about with Koreans. Most of their meals are "family style" in that all the food is placed in the center of the table and everyone dives in with chopsticks. Koreans are very communal in their eating. BUT, I also agree with the above that Fondu might not be the best choice. Many Koreans are, indeed, lactose intolerant and all that cheese could be an issue.

Steak is definitely a very safe choice, especially if the restaurant has a private room. But seafood would be another great choice. Also, I don't know about the traveling Koreans always wanting American food. The Korean community I'm involved in, including the visitors, adore their Asian food. It doesn't have to be Korean, per se, but they seem to love all sorts of Asian cuisine. I know that my Korean FIL would often take business meetings to Chinese and Japanese restaurants. This is a particularly good choice because those restaurants know all about Asian business meetings, always have special rooms set aside for those meetings, and might be more affordable.

But steak and/or seafood is also a very safe choice. :001_smile:

Thirdly, yes, a gift is very common upon a first meeting. And this is where the businessmen might really appreciate something American. Alcohol is a good choice, but things that are hard to get in Korea are also appreciated. For instance, some cousins that came to visit made a beeline to Yankee Candle Company because apparently the candles are outrageously expensive in Korea. (like $50-$100 each!)

Hope that helps!

My husband is Korean and his father used to wine and dine in the Korean business world all the time.

One, no, don't go.

Two, I agree with an above poster that sharing a pot is nothing to worry about with Koreans. Most of their meals are "family style" in that all the food is placed in the center of the table and everyone dives in with chopsticks. Koreans are very communal in their eating. BUT, I also agree with the above that Fondu might not be the best choice. Many Koreans are, indeed, lactose intolerant and all that cheese could be an issue.

Steak is definitely a very safe choice, especially if the restaurant has a private room. But seafood would be another great choice. Also, I don't know about the traveling Koreans always wanting American food. The Korean community I'm involved in, including the visitors, adore their Asian food. It doesn't have to be Korean, per se, but they seem to love all sorts of Asian cuisine. I know that my Korean FIL would often take business meetings to Chinese and Japanese restaurants. This is a particularly good choice because those restaurants know all about Asian business meetings, always have special rooms set aside for those meetings, and might be more affordable.

But steak and/or seafood is also a very safe choice. :001_smile:

Thirdly, yes, a gift is very common upon a first meeting. And this is where the businessmen might really appreciate something American. Alcohol is a good choice, but things that are hard to get in Korea are also appreciated. For instance, some cousins that came to visit made a beeline to Yankee Candle Company because apparently the candles are outrageously expensive in Korea. (like $50-$100 each!)

Hope that helps!

This is very helpful.

I cannot really find a place that is quiet here, still searching. The fondue place is the best for quiet, and only the first course is cheese (which can be skipped) and the other courses are meat and veggie.

I am looking for a good gift for them, more suggestions are welcome.

What would be American?-

Lara

All the Koreans I know prefer Korean food. They are famous for taking their own food whoever they visit in the world because they don't want to try the local food. As for American food - pizza is popular in Korea. A steakhouse is probably ok but they prefer their meat in tiny portions ..they are not big on eating large slabs.Fondue is probably not the best idea ... They don't eat a lot of creamy foods.

Other Asian restaurants are popular in Korea. Japanese, Chinese, Thai ....they really like Pho soup.

As for gifts.... Spam (as in that nasty meat in a tin) is really popular LOL. We saw gift baskets of it everywhere. I'm not sure where you would get gift baskets of Spam in the USA though. American candy or chocolate....they like the novelty. Shirts with American brand names written on them are hugely popular but more so for the younger set. Basically anything that says I've been to America is good.

They adore having their photo taken in front of famous icons. If you have any American icon where you live...get their photo taken in front of it and put it in a nice frame as the gift....they will love it.

Lara, does your machine shop have any logo hats or t-shirts?

:iagree: I lived in Japan and exchanged many gifts. They loved old jeans, ice-cream, Southwestern things (my family is from AZ) American things like Twinkies and American beer in a can.

We are giving them a shirt with our logo on it, that isn't really American, just us.

So far, I have been told to do steak, don't do steak, do American, don't do American, Do oriental, don't do oriental

Basically I cannot go wrong--or right LOL

Well, the most important thing is quiet, so we are probably going to a local brewery/restaurant that has a private room.

Thank you for your help today, as of now I am taking a break from thinking about it (for at least an hour while cook dinner)

Lara

This place is supposed to be one of the best Korean restaurants in Colorado (it's in Aurora - 25-30 min. away from you if I'm not mistaken): http://www.seoulkoreanbbq.com

They serve both Korean and Japanese food, and they have a private banquet room (no deposit or room rental charge required). From their website: "Our Private Banquet Hall includes a spacious, private dining room, a cozy, welcoming reception area, modern amenities like large flat screen tv’s, and customized menus for guests. Savor your meal in secluded luxury in our private banquet room."

I will probably bow out of the meeting, unless one of the other men brings his wife. As to my qualifications: I know ALL about what is going on, I used to be right beside DH doing what he does and before I had children, I was MORE knowledgeable than DH at certain aspects of this meeting. But I also understand that I am a woman and even American men would overlook me in business meetings.

I hope you didn't take my comment as a dig to your knowledge or qualifications. I didn't mean it that way. I merely meant that if they are discussing business (and you're not involved in said business), you might feel awkward. Sorry if you were offended.

I hope you didn't take my comment as a dig to your knowledge or qualifications. I didn't mean it that way. I merely meant that if they are discussing business (and you're not involved in said business), you might feel awkward. Sorry if you were offended.

I was not offended, I just wanted you to know that I wouldn't be a bored wife, I do know what is going on and I could hold a conversation. However, I am also wise enough to know that a different culture would be offended by my being there at all, and the last thing I would want is to put DH in a position of weakness by having a strong wife at the meeting.

This place is supposed to be one of the best Korean restaurants in Colorado (it's in Aurora - 25-30 min. away from you if I'm not mistaken): http://www.seoulkoreanbbq.com

They serve both Korean and Japanese food, and they have a private banquet room (no deposit or room rental charge required). From their website: "Our Private Banquet Hall includes a spacious, private dining room, a cozy, welcoming reception area, modern amenities like large flat screen tv’s, and customized menus for guests. Savor your meal in secluded luxury in our private banquet room."

Bingo!!!! We have a winner.

We gave our "American-transplant" Korean the choices and he latched onto this restaurant like a lifeboat.

Thank you ladies.

We are giving them shirts with our logo on them as a gift (and something else small if I can arrange it in time).

Ok, there's absolutely NOTHING I can think of to do to help, but we're probably going to be in Aurora that night, so I was going to joke about spying on the meeting & giving you updates, & then I had this vision of Lucy in Japan posing as a geisha girl, &...I thought maybe you could use a laugh. Esp at the thought of me trying to disguise this particular figure as a geisha girl!

All the Koreans I know prefer Korean food. They are famous for taking their own food whoever they visit in the world because they don't want to try the local food. As for American food - pizza is popular in Korea. A steakhouse is probably ok but they prefer their meat in tiny portions ..they are not big on eating large slabs.Fondue is probably not the best idea ... They don't eat a lot of creamy foods.

Other Asian restaurants are popular in Korea. Japanese, Chinese, Thai ....they really like Pho soup.

As for gifts.... Spam (as in that nasty meat in a tin) is really popular LOL. We saw gift baskets of it everywhere. I'm not sure where you would get gift baskets of Spam in the USA though. American candy or chocolate....they like the novelty. Shirts with American brand names written on them are hugely popular but more so for the younger set. Basically anything that says I've been to America is good.

They adore having their photo taken in front of famous icons. If you have any American icon where you live...get their photo taken in front of it and put it in a nice frame as the gift....they will love it.

Yes, I agree with this. Korean cuisine is light on meat and big on seafood, vegetables and rice so I do hesitate about the steakhouse idea. My experience is that most Koreans like to stick to Korean food; my dh is still like this after almost 20 years here in the US (though he does love meat and enjoys steakhouses). I would also personally stay away from Japanese food. There is a very strong rivalry still between Korea and Japan due to the way Koreans were treated during Japanese occupation that many Koreans are still sensitive to, so I would just shy away from that association altogether (oops I just read through all comments and saw you found a place. That is serves both Korean and Japanese food will be fine). I asked dh about gifts and he replied that it is a very good gesture, but you have to be careful. Giving gifts and taking business partners out to drink is an integral part of Korean business culture, but if the gift is perceived as inexpensive it can be considered offensive. It depends in part on how much business is done, the nature of the business as well as how much money the business brings in. The nature of the gift is very important so I can't offer suggestions beyond that word of caution. .