Menu

If you could have a new homeschooling curriculum written, what would it be?

An Americanized Galore Park English book series. Just because I'm lazy and I don't want to have to change Bristol to Los Angeles, colour to color, biffing to smacking and so on.

But "biffing" is the term in the Dick King-Smith book! ;) You can find it in Dick King-Smith's Animal Friends, and it's been changed there, unfortunately. ;)

Science. I want a neutral or secular science program that has a readable text as the spine and an activity guide to go along with each chapter. (Like Story of the World.) For each chapter the guide would give me ideas for extended reading (fiction and non-fiction), comprehension questions, some worksheets / colouring pages, and instructions for several demonstrations or experiments to select from. All student pages could be downloaded. I would have the option of buying kits for each level. And it would give me a BFSU-type of schematic that would allow me to go through the topics as interest and weather made them possible.

And no Comic Sans.

It's not too much to ask, is it? :D

Science for middle and high school that is lab inclusive with everything we need in a box/kit, clean textbook without all the extraneous information included and text written in clear, easy to understand language.

Oh, my, YES! Ds and I want to write our own Biology text. I cannot believe how poorly written most of these are. I keep saying these companies need to hire a writer who knows absolutely nothing about biology and will write the text as though explaining it to him/her self. A scientist or biologist can talk to the writer and explain, but cannot under any circumstances do any of the writing. It would all be so much more understandable and I would not have to go fishing through 3 different books to find a decent explanation. I am collecting Biology books now. Every time I think I find one that has clearer writing all I have to do is keep reading to have my illusion shattered. Then I end up bouncing Ds from book to book depending on which authors decided to think about the reader before they sat down to write. It varies from lesson to lesson. I should keep score to see which text is winning!

On second thought, I wonder if the problem is that the writers themselves don't understand the concepts well enough to break them down and explain them clearly and accurately?

Literature for K-12 that is maybe Caldecott and Newbery award winners or similar types that are a nice mix of contemporary and classic books that come with a study guide that is twaddle/worksheet free, has thoughtful questions(like Progeny Press), isn't a total overkill which takes the fun out of reading the novel (like Progeny Press can be), and does a good job of teaching literary terms and analysis in a logical step by step process. Sonlight is too light on the responses required, Progeny Press is too overboard, many of the companies like PP and Total Language Plus ignore more contemporary works, nothing makes me completely happy.

Yep! I vote for this too so I can stop piecing together my own stuff.

Science and history that blend in multimedia/video so that I don't have to constantly go digging to find clips that work to illustrate principles.

This too. When the biology books all have poor writing, we start googling.

Cultural literacy program of some sort, which would touch on current events.

An early elementary writing program that was sort of IEWish with the DVD video and keyword outlines, but without the confusing catalog and programs to figure out, sort of WriteShopish in that it is teaching more of the basics in a progressive fashion but had a teachers book that had a replica of the student book with notes alongside it rather than a totally different teacher's manual, and one that started from early writing instruction with basics taught and went all the way through high school. Not a single program really does that, and I wish i didn't have to blend curricula.

I know! It's so not helpful to have to ask Ds to see his book when he is sitting clear across the room. And, IEW does drag things out a bit with all those levels.

We need to get together and start on some of these! I think we could make a fortune!

I know! It's so not helpful to have to ask Ds to see his book when he is sitting clear across the room. And, IEW does drag things out a bit with all those levels.

We need to get together and start on some of these! I think we could make a fortune!

There are a few biologist that do know how to explain things to people who don't know bio...I consider myself to be one of them. :-) Maybe I should write a bio book someday. I like one on one in person so much better though.