Menu

help! dessert for a crowd (fund raising dinner)

love2read

My assignment for our community dinner/fund raiser is dessert for 150. The other ladies who have the same assignment (were expecting close to 500) are making cake, cookies, cupcakes. What would you make? I'm thinking about cost and time, wanting to keep both low of course. If you have a "feed a croud" dessert recipe, please share. These will be served up on plates, so I'm not concerned about kids grabbing handfuls.

I have 2 go-to desserts: blondies and cheesecake. I make blondies if it's for a kid-friendly event; I add mini chocolate chips too. I like to make cheesecake for a more adult-oriented affair, usually vanilla with a chocolate swirl. The key is to cut it into 16 servings. (I use a 9" springform pan.) They look small but real cheesecake is quite filling. If you go this route I suggest you pre-cut the cake yourself to ensure you get the number of servings you're supposed to.

I really need to keep the cost down as we've already donated quite a bit of food.

Then I would go with plain blondies, no nuts, no chocolate chips. The key to them being scrumptious is to use real butter though, which you could get for less than $3/lb (at least around here you could). Here's my recipe:

2 c packed brown sugar

2/3 c butter

2 eggs

2 tsp vanilla

2 c flour

1 tsp baking powder

1/4 tsp baking soda

Melt butter, stir in brown sugar then eggs and vanilla. Mix in dry ingredients. Spread in 9 x 13 pan and bake at 350F for about 25 mins. Makes about 18-24 servings (though the recipe says 36).

The recipe calls for 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips. I find you can use half that amount if you use mini chips. Or you can skip the chocolate altogether to keep the cost down.

These freeze well. If you do use real butter and you make them early I recommend freezing them as they go stale after a day if you leave them out.

Dressed up brownies. To make them a little dressed up, I sprinkle white chocolate chips on top right after they come out of the oven. Works really well with Ghirardelli's Dark Chocolate Brownie mix. Yummy and inexpensive.