Menu

what age to combine kids?

faiths13

I don't know about "combining" kids, but there's no reason not to teach them together as soon as the younger one can handle it. Usually, each child has his own English (which includes phonics, spelling, penmanship, everything that is literacy-related) and math, and you teach them together for everything else.

• 1 month later...

I'm trying to think ahead for this exact subject to wonder does it affect your planning any. Right now I have a 3 and almost-5 year olds and I know my youngest isn't as ready for anything formal right now. But I would like to think ahead to what might make it easier to combine ages and such as we go forward, especially for things like History cycles and such. I know that math and phonics will stay on it's own course, but I am hopeful that we can do things like keep sciences and history combined.

But I'm also probably just over thinking it too - youngest will probably just fold right into wherever her older sister is and get swept along. I can just simplify or dig deeper where needed for each of their needs as we go along.

I'm trying to balance the ideas of keeping things simple while covering the basics and foundations without getting swept up in more-more-more, especially when I see lists other people are planning for their families. Must constantly remember that getting outside perspective is helpful in many areas but to always come back to our intentions before getting swept away.

We have thus far combined for history/geography, science, literature, and art. My three big kids are 4, 8, and 11 right now. For history, we've used SOTW and have supplemented with picture books; I occasionally assign my 11yo a harder or longer book to read separately that goes along with our history. The 4yo participates where he can/where he wants to; he doesn't do the SOTW maps, but he listens to the stories. He gets a kick out of read alouds too, and I try to vary those so that there's something that appeals to everyone at some point. Each big kid has his/her own math, writing, personal reading, grammar, and language.

My kids do reading and math separately, but I do history and literature together. Its only this year that they've been able to do that--before my younger was just not able to listen to more involved stories while my older was craving them. But now thankfully she can, so I can combine that. Next year I will combine writing and grammar, as well as Latin. It helps that my older is a boy and my younger a girl, iykwim ;)

ETA: we also combined science, which has worked great. I have noticed that there were some things I started earlier when he was ready that I am just ending up repeating with both of them, so in retrospect I wish I had just waited until they both were ready.

From the start. Really. Even at the ages of your DC. The 4 year old may not get much, but he will get some. And as the years progress, you will find it easier and easier in science and history to be combining, and simply adjusting your expecttions based on age.

I combined my 4 an 6 year old last year (for things like science etc) but was pretty relaxed in allowing my younger to come and go as he pleased. This year we are spending more time together b/c he is old enough to participate more. My 2.5 year old even participates w/ us in Bible, next year he will also do French with us. He's pretty little so I don't expect much (read: anything) from him in terms of school. :)

I've not combined my kids much yet. Oldest is very advanced in reading and loves history and science, so he really needs middle school level input that my middle son (K) isn't ready for, or even if he is, I'd have to read it aloud to him, which I'd rather not do. :tongue_smilie: Youngest isn't interested in history or science much yet. I think he will combine well with middle son when the time comes, but right now, he's not school age, so he can tag along as he wants to, or wander off and find something else to do if he's not interested.

This year, oldest has done history that wasn't interesting to middle son, but oldest needed the meat. Middle son has done fairy tales and nursery rhymes and such instead of history. Science has been Magic School Bus videos and library picture books, plus my oldest reads various books on his own, such as The Way We Work. Oldest is currently doing a brain study (Ellen McHenry), and that's over middle son's head (pardon the pun :lol:).

Next year, I'm going to still follow oldest's path for history and science. Middle son will get some library picture books that loosely go along with what oldest is doing in history, but if I don't get any library books some weeks, no biggie. I don't think history is important for first grade, and this child is still learning to read, so that is my focus. In science, oldest will be using a middle school text that is likely to be over middle son's head. Middle son will continue watching Magic School Bus videos, and I'll read library picture books to him (he'll probably transition to reading some himself next year).

I do combine them in Bible. Sometimes we just do Bible readings, and I'll discuss grammar stage topics with the younger kids and give my oldest more logic stage style thinking questions. We also sometimes use Bible Study Guide for All Ages, which has student pages geared for different levels but with the same content taught. Those have worked well for us.

We also do not do skill subjects at the same time (ie, everyone doing math at one time or grammar at one time). That didn't work here at all when I tried it. I do better having separate mom teaching time with each kid. I start with the youngest (oldest does independent work such as spelling and handwriting or reading), give him about 5 minutes so he thinks he's done school (not school aged yet), then I work with my K'er on phonics, math, and handwriting, then I send those two off to play while I teach my oldest. Once oldest is taught, I'll go do read-alouds with the K'er while oldest does independent work (math, grammar, etc. that he has just been taught). This routine has worked really well for us this year, keeping me sane. :D

I combine my DC for as much as I possibly can! We have lots of "family subjects" where they are combined. My younger ones participate as much as they are able...usually they listen to some of the readings and join in for activities like art projects and science experiments. We are studying Latin together. They all join in for pronunciation with the CD (even the 3yo), and I add writing for my 8 and 10yos. Things like picture study, nature study, music, Bible verses, etc. are easy to combine. For literature, I try to read aloud a variety of books...We often read a simple book like Charlotte's Web or Little House and follow it with a more challenging book like A Christmas Carol or Around the World in 80 Days. I want at least one read aloud geared for each of my children during the year.

We use SCM and it's very effective at combining all of my DC for many subjects. We have a family history/Bible/geography reading, then each age group has their own reading. Grades 1-3 may have a picture book (or just the family reading and narration), grades 4-6 usually has an extra chapter book reading. I usually read this aloud to my 5th and 3rd graders. Grades 7-9 and 10-12 have their own books as well. We've also done some of the 7-9 books aloud.

For 3Rs, we are more split up. I do have my 10 and 8yo combined for quite a bit. One is pretty much a grade ahead and one is a bit behind so it works well to combine them. I even have them combined for math this year. :blush: I generally have them work on the same subjects at the same time. They all do copywork together, but each have their own page (usually from McGuffey readers)...sometimes they all copy the same poem. How much they copy and whether it's in cursive or manuscript depends on their age. My older two will have a writing/notebooking assigment while I do phonics with the youngest. We alternate math lessons and wb pages with their daily piano practice. I try to organize our subjects to be as efficient as possible.

I will probably split them up more as they get older and are working more independently. Science will eventually be more split up, but I'm hoping to combine them through 7th or 8th. I do hope to always have a family reading (or two) and some subjects like picture study and nature study will always be family subjects.

I am actually planning to combine my 7-and-9 year-olds in First Language Level Four next year. None of them have used the program before, the younger one is a girl, and our family seems to run along gender-stereotype lines in terms of language development. So assuming that works out, my kids won't be divided in ANY subject but math - there will just be different expectations for their written assignments. I am really, really hoping that this works out. If it does, I think it will be a huge blessing to me AND to the youngest.

When we started, I let Sylvia - then 3 - participate in the fun SOTW AG activities. Sometimes she even liked to color the maps. Once Sylvia turned 5, I had a little anxiety about teaching them both, but it's turned out to be fine. They have their own math and LA and get combined for content subjects. It works very well. I expect a bit more from Rebecca, but Sylvia has no trouble keeping up.

If you don't count doing FIAR with my 3, 4, and 5 year olds this year, we're starting this coming September. I'll have 4, 5, and 6 year olds listening in for science, history, and Bible. The 4 and 5 year olds will be doing the same reading, writing, and math. The 6 year old will be up a level. I'll expect the 5 and 6 year olds to actually take part in the family subjects, the 4 year old will likely tag along because she enjoys doing what the big kids are doing.

I have a 4yo (prek) and 6yo (1st) and they are combined for everything except math and LA and have been right from the start. As my 4yo is not yet officially school age she is not required to participate in anything but she enthusiastically does the lot and then begs for more