Which is genetically dominant?  

173 members have voted

1. 1. Which is genetically dominant?

• blond hair / blue eyes
    • brown hair / brown eyes
    • something else is dominant
    • no one knows for sure
    • I don't care

You forgot the mutants like me with green eyes and red hair.

I'm pretty sure they get counted as blue/blonde :-/ There aren't enough of us to warrant our own club.

I have dark blonde hair and brown eyes. My parents both had dark brown hair and mom had brown eyes dad had hazel. My brother had the blonde hair that got dark and hazel eyes. My husband was a blonde that turned dark with bluish gray eyes. All of our kid were born with blue eyes, older two have turned hazel, youngest still has blue. Oldest two were blonde at birth and are now dark blonde, Youngest was born with red hair (like an orangutan) and is now blonde.

Now tell me how this is possible. My Dad's dog tags said he was O+, my mom and brother are B+ I'm AB+ I've had many people tell me that it's not possible for my dad to actually be my father, but I look just like a perfect combo of he and my mother.

Could they be misprinted?

I failed to produce any redheads to replace myself, but all my siblings, including the blonde one, have one redheaded child each. All of our kids have light eyes.

DH and I have blue eyes, as does Ds, but dds eyes are the exact shade of green that my mother as. It's a little freaky. She has several of my Mom's features that I don't have.

I would guess that your dad may have had the (extremely rare) Bombay Phenotype. So although his genotype was likely AO, AA, or AB he was unable to make the A antigen and or B antigen and express it on his red cells. His blood type thus appeared to be O.

Thank you, I guess I could ask my mom what came of things when he was going through cancer treatment before he passed away, but this may be an explanation.

Brown eyes are dominant. Hair, not sure. I've seen many mixed-race kids with light hair. But if you have blue eyes, both of your bio parents had to have some of that in their genes, or something very odd is going on.

nukeswife, on 28 February 2013 - 07:14 PM, said:

Now tell me how this is possible. My Dad's dog tags said he was O+, my mom and brother are B+ I'm AB+ I've had many people tell me that it's not possible for my dad to actually be my father, but I look just like a perfect combo of he and my mother.

Well it isn't possible. But it IS possible your Dads blood type wasn't O+. I was tested as a child by the doctor and as a teen by the Red Cross. Both times I was told I was O+. When I got pregnant with my first child they tested me and said I was A+. All 3 pregnancies I've been A+. I had my genotype done (really cool dna thing with a private company) I have an A/O genotype. I have one gene for A and one for O. Could be as simple as your Dads test was wrong.

another possibility is he is a human chimera. (the result of fraternal twins fusing together during an early stage of development) I watched the documentary on two cases of women who had two sets of DNA. It's absolutely fascinating.

one woman was discoverd because she was seeking a kidney transplant, so her sons were tested. according to the DNA tests, they were not her sons. further testing revealed her sons were a perfect match between her husband and - get this - her brother.

more (it mentions the 2nd case as ongoing. a woman who was on welfare DNA tested to not be the mother of her children. the state literally took a blood sample from her 4th child in. the. delivery. room. that baby too, who was witnessed by a state welfare rep as having come out of her body, was DNA tested to not be her child. having heard of the former case, the state was at that point more willing to believe all of the children really were hers. - they had the same father.)

within the past several years, there have been two african (nigerian?) families living in the UK who had white babies. one of them was even blonde. they have no known caucasion ancestors and they emmigrated there from africa.

one

two can't find a good link for the other couple, who had a boy.

the point being recessive genes can skip generations.

As several people quoted in the article suggested, that baby almost certainly has a genetic mutation affecting the production of melanin. (Albinism is only one of several such mutations.) This does not seem to be a case where the child "inherited" light skin and hair from long-forgotten white ancestors.

Jackie