Menu

Eyeglasses - why are they so expensive?

Abbeygurl4

I need glasses. I'm almost 49 and I probably need bifocals. I've gotten glasses twice in the past 10 years or so and the rx has been wrong both times and I end up not wearing them. Also, I hate the way glasses feel on my face. I've tried contacts but they always feel like I have an eyelash in my eye. My eyes are worse now and I keep putting off going to the eye doctor because we don't have vision insurance.

What is the cheapest and best way for me to get glasses that work?

I'm getting ready to order from zennioptical. My progressive lens bifocals have been running close to $600 out of pocket each year, and I can't swing that anymore. (FWIW, I checked pricing at all my local optometry places, including Walmart, and for mine the price was always that horrible.) I'm a little nervous about ordering online, but I used my daughter for a guinea pig first and we are extremely pleased with her glasses from zenni. Locally, we paid ~$200 for her last pair. zenni price was $34 delivered, and she likes the style more. My glasses from zenni will be $68 - including lighter titanium frames because I hate the weight - and with the potential savings from now on, I am willing to give them a try!

I'm getting ready to order from zennioptical. My progressive lens bifocals have been running close to $600 out of pocket each year, and I can't swing that anymore. (FWIW, I checked pricing at all my local optometry places, including Walmart, and for mine the price was always that horrible.) I'm a little nervous about ordering online, but I used my daughter for a guinea pig first and we are extremely pleased with her glasses from zenni. Locally, we paid ~$200 for her last pair. zenni price was $34 delivered, and she likes the style more. My glasses from zenni will be $68 - including lighter titanium frames because I hate the weight - and with the potential savings from now on, I am willing to give them a try!

Wow! Good deal!

We've ordered from goggles4u.com, they send out cupon codes all the time, and I'm very happy with my glasses with transition lenses that were $25 shipped.

I am ordering glasses for Dh week and his presception is much higher and we'll probably be spending about $90 for his, but they're of $300 or more at eye glasses places, so it's still a very good deal.

Oh, another question ...

Some places send you right over to their eyewear store after the exam and just assume you are buying glasses from them. How do I just get an exam and rx without buying glasses from them?

tell them you want the prescription and will be buying glasses somewhere else. If you buy online, ask them to measure your PD (pupilary distance, I believe) for you! You can do it yourself but they'll give you a more accurate measurement.

Another tip for ordering online...

Go to a large eye glasses place (lenscrafter?) and try on glasses you like to find what fits - on the frames it will have details as to how wide the lens is, how long the over-the-ear arms are, and such. I also also take photos (of them on me) so I remember the style when I get home.

But knowing these measurements can help you pick out glasses that will fit well online. I have a wide head, so having these numbers helped me compare the glasses online to what I knew would fit. I also measured the glasses I have at home as well (be aware they are measured in mm) and that really helped because I had one pair that was actually too narrow, so that let me know to not pick frames narrower than x.

We shop at Costco. Just walk right on out of the optical connected to the Dr. I priced them once for insurance reasons. My lenses are about 3 times more expensive at the optical shop than at Costco.

Question for those of you who shop online. My glasses always have to fitted extensively when I get them. Where do you get that done?

Another tip for ordering online...

Go to a large eye glasses place (lenscrafter?) and try on glasses you like to find what fits - on the frames it will have details as to how wide the lens is, how long the over-the-ear arms are, and such. I also also take photos (of them on me) so I remember the style when I get home.

But knowing these measurements can help you pick out glasses that will fit well online. I have a wide head, so having these numbers helped me compare the glasses online to what I knew would fit. I also measured the glasses I have at home as well (be aware they are measured in mm) and that really helped because I had one pair that was actually too narrow, so that let me know to not pick frames narrower than x.

All good points! I like the idea of frames being mailed to you to try on (online store mentioned upthread), but visiting in person just to try on and jot down the important numbers is an excellent idea, also.

We ordered back up glasses for our kids from Coastal. They arrived in a couple of weeks. They have a deal for your first pair free right now. It's probably extra for bi-focals. But, our nearsighted dd's glasses were only $16 with shipping.

http://www.coastal.com/firstpairfree?cmp=search&src=gcs&seg=Brand&gro=Free&mkwid=suhSk12Ay&pcrid=17141742554&gclid=CKOkl_Cw17UCFQ6EnQodwDYA0g

DH got his last pair from zenni. His last pair cost a fortune and lasted a long time. Then one day they just snapped. Anyway, he got the glasses from zenni quickly and he is ok with them. To be fair, they are not as nice as his old ones. We are keeping an eye on how long they last. His expensive ones lasted so long that over the 10 years they were cheaper per year than the zenni...so far.

Warby Parker looks to be nicer and we might try there next time. He might try getting a more expensive pair and a cheap pair from Zenni for jogging or as sunglasses etc.

Question for those of you who shop online. My glasses always have to fitted extensively when I get them. Where do you get that done?

I was wondering the same thing...... I usually spend 15 minutes with the optician, getting the adjustments made correctly with the nose piece and such. And I go back every 3-4 months for tweaks as they do tend to misalign with wear.

I have done the online glasses thing a few times. I have had a mostly good experience except for the last time. My current glasses are great but the other pair which are the same frame in a different colour are not, they seem a lot smaller even though they are theoretically identical. I haven't had much issue fitting the plastic glasses other than my one pair that is a wierd size. They are mostly good to go straight away. The only other thing I have a noticed is that the companies I have used have a really bad selection at the narrower end of the range so that might be an issue.

I like 39dollarglasses. I have a coupon code (Winter15) that gives $15 off each pair of glasses.

I've used zenni optical and the glasses were fine, but it took almost a month for my glasses to arrive.

I was a bit put off by the 3-4 weeks with Zenni, until I called Costco and they said it would be 3 weeks before they would have glasses ready for me, too. O.o

We use Zenni here exclusively now. They are a little less nice than the regular glasses, but as my kids kept breaking the nice regular glasses anyway (including mine!!) and Zenni's work great at a tiny fraction of the cost, we're sticking with Zenni.

Guest inoubliable

I was a bit put off by the 3-4 weeks with Zenni, until I called Costco and they said it would be 3 weeks before they would have glasses ready for me, too. O.o

We use Zenni here exclusively now. They are a little less nice than the regular glasses, but as my kids kept breaking the nice regular glasses anyway (including mine!!) and Zenni's work great at a tiny fraction of the cost, we're sticking with Zenni.

I saw a few people mention the shipping issue with Zenni. I was told to allow 3 - 4 weeks shipping every time I've ordered there, but my glasses always arrived in about a week. Did yours take the full 3 - 4 weeks?

I was wondering the same thing...... I usually spend 15 minutes with the optician, getting the adjustments made correctly with the nose piece and such. And I go back every 3-4 months for tweaks as they do tend to misalign with wear.

My nose/bridge is too small for plastic frames. I have to have the nose pieces and they have to be adjusted.

I guess I stick with Costco. Altho, I am really happy with them.

I saw a few people mention the shipping issue with Zenni. I was told to allow 3 - 4 weeks shipping every time I've ordered there, but my glasses always arrived in about a week. Did yours take the full 3 - 4 weeks?

We've had two shipments arrive at about the four week mark, and two shipments take closer to two weeks. (We have three glasses wearers in the house, and one is severely ADHD. We go through a lot of her glasses no matter what, lol.)

We've ordered three times, twice was around 10 days and once was around 2 weeks.

Also, if I don't like the way glasses feel on my nose, would plastic be better since they don't have those nose feet things?

I like my plastic frames MUCH, MUCH better than my metal frames with the nose pieces.

I do have a very small correction so my glasses are pretty light.

I just got bifocals for the first time in January. I'm still adjusting to them and have had the lenses returned 3 times, each time lowering the bifocal. I've worn glasses since I was 5 years old. May I suggest ordering your first pair of bifocals locally so you can know they fit properly, especially since you haven't worn glasses before comfortably? I would love to order from Zenni, but I need correction for astigmitism and prisms and Zenni doesn't produce glasses with prisms.

As to why glasses are so expensive, 60 Minutes had a segment last year (I think) that explained how nearly all glasses places are owned by one company (Italian, I think), so they could charge what they wanted. There are only 1 or 2 glasses companies in the US who aren't owned by this company. I watched the link because someone here posted it. It was very interesting!

I need glasses. I'm almost 49 and I probably need bifocals. I've gotten glasses twice in the past 10 years or so and the rx has been wrong both times and I end up not wearing them. Also, I hate the way glasses feel on my face. . .

I'll go against the tide here. In light of what you are saying, I think you need to find a local doctor and get a good, thorough examination. Once you have a prescription in hand, go to an optician to be fitted for glasses.

There are a lot of factors that can affect how classes fit, feel and work for you. For example, the frames come in different sizes & this can affect your peripheral vision. A good optician will ask you questions to see how you are going to wear the glasses. Then order your glasses from this same optician that has spent all of this time with you.

When you pick up your glasses, whether it's in an hour or a week, the optician will then check to see if they fit you and make any adjustments needed. After you have worn them for a week, if you do not think they fit or if you are still having problems seeing, return to the optician. They can make adjustments to your glasses so they fit better. If you aren't seeing correctly, they will check the lenses to make sure that they were made properly. If they were made properly and you still can't see well, you need to return to your eye doctor. Do not settle for a pair of glasses that do not work for you.

Another benefit of buying your glasses locally is that if your prescription changes and your frames are still good, you can have new lenses made and the optician can put them into the old frames. This will work until the manufacturer stops making lenses for that particular frame. This will save you a lot of money! I got new frames & lenses two years ago when I finally had to replace frames that were over ten years old. I had the lenses changed out two times, for a total of three different prescriptions.

Given your history, I think that getting good service will make the world of difference to you. Save the mail order discount providers for a time when you are confident that you will be able to troubleshoot any problems on your own.

I need glasses. I'm almost 49 and I probably need bifocals. I've gotten glasses twice in the past 10 years or so and the rx has been wrong both times and I end up not wearing them. Also, I hate the way glasses feel on my face. I've tried contacts but they always feel like I have an eyelash in my eye. My eyes are worse now and I keep putting off going to the eye doctor because we don't have vision insurance.

Because it is a major, freaking rip off.

I have one person in my family that needs new glasses as often as every 3 months, and oh Lord, I hope that changes as adulthood hits.

I've spent thousands and thousands on doctor appointments, glasses and contacts.

If I had something simple where I could just order offline for these people (probably could for one), I would.

I'll go against the tide here. In light of what you are saying, I think you need to find a local doctor and get a good, thorough examination. Once you have a prescription in hand, go to an optician to be fitted for glasses.

There are a lot of factors that can affect how classes fit, feel and work for you. For example, the frames come in different sizes & this can affect your peripheral vision. A good optician will ask you questions to see how you are going to wear the glasses. Then order your glasses from this same optician that has spent all of this time with you.

When you pick up your glasses, whether it's in an hour or a week, the optician will then check to see if they fit you and make any adjustments needed. After you have worn them for a week, if you do not think they fit or if you are still having problems seeing, return to the optician. They can make adjustments to your glasses so they fit better. If you aren't seeing correctly, they will check the lenses to make sure that they were made properly. If they were made properly and you still can't see well, you need to return to your eye doctor. Do not settle for a pair of glasses that do not work for you.

Another benefit of buying your glasses locally is that if your prescription changes and your frames are still good, you can have new lenses made and the optician can put them into the old frames. This will work until the manufacturer stops making lenses for that particular frame. This will save you a lot of money! I got new frames & lenses two years ago when I finally had to replace frames that were over ten years old. I had the lenses changed out two times, for a total of three different prescriptions.

Given your history, I think that getting good service will make the world of difference to you. Save the mail order discount providers for a time when you are confident that you will be able to troubleshoot any problems on your own.

I agree. Getting Bifocals to fit right is not an exact science. My DH went thru 3 or 4 sets of lenses before they got it right the first time. He is very intolerant of any errors, errors that the rest of us might be ok with.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I ordered from 39dollarglasses! We shall see!

I went to America's Best for an eye exam and almost bought glasses. They came to nearly $500!! I just couldn't pay that so I took my rx and left. I got online and checked 39dollar and Warby Parker and ended up with 39dollar because of the frames I liked. I got Varilux hd lenses with Transitions and anti-glare for less than half of the glasses store. I hope I like them!