Menu

One-year American History curriculum for 5th grade?

DragonFaerie

The Complete Book of US History is not enough. Hakim is too much. Secular preferred. Also, we do grades and report cards, so I'd prefer something with some type of student workbook or end of chapter questions or something so I have something to grade (DS is a reluctant writer, so outlines/essays/summaries are not the way to go). I'm planning to use Human Odyssey starting in 6th, but I wanted to get a solid year of U.S. history in first. Any suggestions? I hope I haven't stipulated myself right out of having any curriculum choices!

ETA: Oh, and I really don't want to just cobble together a bunch of books or try to build my own program. I'm really looking for open and go, even if it's textbooks.

I looked at the Sonlight stuff, but I don't think it's secular. As for middle grades, he's not a very strong reader (he's my mathy kid), so I don't want anything that might be too hard. I found a textbook and workbook from Houghton Mifflin on Amazon. I'm thinking I may just go with that and throw in some DVDs and You Wouldn't Want to Be... books that I already have. Think that might cover it? We'll hit it again much more in-depth in high school.

http://www.memoriapress.com/curriculum/american-modern/american-history

From Memoria Press:

"We have looked, and we cannot find an American history study on a grammar school level that rivals H. A. Guerber's two-volume American history set from the turn of the 20th century. So, rather than settle for lesser quality, we have combined Guerber's The Story of the Thirteen Colonies and The Story of the Great Republic into one edited volume that makes it a perfect one-year survey of American history for the middle school years.

Our new study guide for this course includes important facts, vocabulary, and comprehension questions for each chapter, as well as enrichment activities such as mapwork, drawings, research, writing assignments, and more!"

http://www.memoriapr...merican-history

From Memoria Press:

"We have looked, and we cannot find an American history study on a grammar school level that rivals H. A. Guerber's two-volume American history set from the turn of the 20th century. So, rather than settle for lesser quality, we have combined Guerber's The Story of the Thirteen Colonies and The Story of the Great Republic into one edited volume that makes it a perfect one-year survey of American history for the middle school years.

Our new study guide for this course includes important facts, vocabulary, and comprehension questions for each chapter, as well as enrichment activities such as mapwork, drawings, research, writing assignments, and more!"

Thanks. Do you know if this is secular?

I know you said that Hakim is too much, but have you seen the *concise* version of Hakim from K12? They have courses to go with it (they split it over two years). I used the books (but not the courses) with my son last year and it was pretty easy to read through them all in one year.

How about All American History, we are using it at the moment and it is very open and go. It is very minimal on the religion. We are secular as well and haven't seen any issues with it thus far. The further study area includes some religious discussions but we usually skip the further study area anyways. It comes with a textbook reader and a workbook for the student. The teacher text has the answers and a schedule suggestion. Student reads the chapter then does the workbook questions and mapping. Would work nicely for a 5th grader.

Thanks for the suggestions. I already have the ten-book Hakim set. I do not want to buy another book for that. I also think Oak Meadow is too artsy-craftsy. DS is more of a "just get the work done and move on" kind of kid. I like the look of the Harcourt set but that is waaayyyy too pricey. Now I'm off to look at All American History.

I know you said Hakim was too much, but Build Your Library has a 2 year American history program using the History of Us as the spine. It would definitely be too much to cover in one year, but it's completely doable over two years. The program includes literature, poetry, and art. It's definitely open and go AND it's secular!

I know you said Hakim was too much, but Build Your Library has a 2 year American history program using the History of Us as the spine. It would definitely be too much to cover in one year, but it's completely doable over two years. The program includes literature, poetry, and art. It's definitely open and go AND it's secular!

Thanks. The reason I want to get it done in one year is because I'm planning to use the Human Odyssey books for 6th through 8th. I want a quick US History program now for 5th, and then we'll do it again more in depth in high school.

Haven't posted here in forever, but how about Steck-Vaughn's America's Story? It's easy to read, as it's written below grade level, and has comprehension questions and a bit of writing for each chapter. There's also a workbook available, and the teacher's edition is manageable. It's open and go, and to the point. Follet should have some in stock, and they're cheaper than buying from the Steck-Vaughn website. Here's a link to Follet's website: http://www.academicbookservices.com/

I think I am going to do something similar to the memoria press one with my guy next year. I want him to get a 1 year rehash of US history next year, but I will also be doing the story of the world #4 with him so i didnt want it to be too much. Mine do not like too much busy work (worksheets and activities and such). I am not sure I want to fully do the memoria press ones but I will be having him read the two guerber books and then at the least doing some sort of timeline and narrations on every chapter. I figure it will be straight forward and not too difficult.

http://www.memoriapr...merican-history

From Memoria Press:

Thanks. Do you know if this is secular?

Guerber is NOT secular - she came from a Christian background, etc. BUT, here's an older post on that very course/book:

We're currently using the Memoria Press volume which combines the two American history books. I haven't seen anything in them that seemed explicitly "Christian". I'd call them secular. But I'm a Christian and perhaps I don't notice phrasing or word choices that a non-Christian would. There is no providential slant. I haven't found any particularly offensive attitudes toward Native Americans, at least not beyond what I'd expect from an author of Guerber's period. I wouldn't expect at contemporary tone or view regarding colonization, but I don't recall anything that made me cringe either. Though Memoria Press may have edited out some of the more Victorian language like "savages".

I am also leaning toward using the Guerber books for American history for my 5th grader next year. You can also get the workbook and the TM which goes with it. The student workbook has vocabulary and comprehension questions, as well as some activities. There are samples available on the Memoria Press website.

http://www.studieswe...tudies-Delaware

Have you heard of Studies Weekly? I just ordered Washington State history for my rising 4th grader but was looking at their other history offerings for 5th and found this one under Delaware. The description even mentions homeschooling even though these are for public school. You can view all the issues and if you look at the Teacher Resources, you can see the worksheets for the first Qtr. Probably not "rigorous" but for under $10.. it's not bad at all=D I am supplementing our WA state history with non-fiction library books(biographies of famous people, etc), fiction set in our state in various time periods(for fun!), How to Draw various items from our state (state bird,landmarks, etc), and as many field trips as we can afford.

They have other options too. You can look them up under state/grade

AR - Arkansas has Explorers to the 1880's (5th grade)

FL - Florida has Ancient America to Western Expansion (5th grade)

GA - Georgia has 1865 to the Present (5th grade)

DE - Delaware has Ancient America to the Present (full history sweep condensed) (5th grade)

DE - Delaware also has Ancient America to the Restoration (4th grade)

http://www.studieswe...tudies-Delaware

Have you heard of Studies Weekly? I just ordered Washington State history for my rising 4th grader but was looking at their other history offerings for 5th and found this one under Delaware. The description even mentions homeschooling even though these are for public school. You can view all the issues and if you look at the Teacher Resources, you can see the worksheets for the first Qtr. Probably not "rigorous" but for under $10.. it's not bad at all=D I am supplementing our WA state history with non-fiction library books(biographies of famous people, etc), fiction set in our state in various time periods(for fun!), How to Draw various items from our state (state bird,landmarks, etc), and as many field trips as we can afford.

They have other options too. You can look them up under state/grade

AR - Arkansas has Explorers to the 1880's (5th grade)

FL - Florida has Ancient America to Western Expansion (5th grade)

GA - Georgia has 1865 to the Present (5th grade)

DE - Delaware has Ancient America to the Present (full history sweep condensed) (5th grade)

DE - Delaware also has Ancient America to the Restoration (4th grade)

Thanks for reminding me! I do have some of these, and you really can't beat the price. I'll have to check out their history ones. Maybe I can put these together with the Houghton Mifflin textbook and the DVDs and stuff that I already have.