Menu

Fashion advice please

Laurie4b

Would it look okay to wear a short-sleeved shirt under this dress?

http://www.chadwicks.com/item/80003/400104/pintucked-maxi-dress-misses

Since my mastectomy, any kind of scoop neckline needs to be to the collarbone, or you can see the scar when I bend forward. Additionally, sleeveless dresses make the lymphedema sleeve I have to wear on my arm much more noticeable. (With short sleeves, the eye isn't automatically attracted to it.) This makes it hard to find dresses!

I like this one, but I wondered if I could adapt it by wearing a shirt underneath. What do you think?

Well, I understand your dilemma :grouphug: and it's a lovely dress, but *I* would not wear a blouse under it, because the whole top--blouse and dress bodice--would be too bulky, KWIM? But you might be able to find a camisole with a lacy top, one that's supposed to be worn under a lower-cut top and which is lighter weight than an actual blouse.

Would it look okay to wear a short-sleeved shirt under this dress?

http://www.chadwicks...xi-dress-misses

Since my mastectomy, any kind of scoop neckline needs to be to the collarbone, or you can see the scar when I bend forward. Additionally, sleeveless dresses make the lymphedema sleeve I have to wear on my arm much more noticeable. (With short sleeves, the eye isn't automatically attracted to it.) This makes it hard to find dresses!

I like this one, but I wondered if I could adapt it by wearing a shirt underneath. What do you think?

fashion-wise: No, I wouldn't recommend wearing a short sleeved shirt under the dress.

However, I can see why you want to, and you may just want to throw fashion to the wind with this one.

I don't think it would work, but *if* it did, the shirt underneath would have to be paper thin. That's the only way it could work without looking like a weird bulky mess.

If you go to a teenager type of store (Rue 21 or something), where they sell clothes that aren't meant to outlast the season, you can find shirts that are paper thin for layering.

That looks like a casual dress to me. You know what would look cute? Wear a thin chambray button down over the dress (not the heavier denim-style shirt), flip the sleeves up to 3/4 length or elbow length, then tie the ends at the waist. The cropped length gives you a nice waistline and lets the pintucks show prettily, and the sleeves give you coverage. Throw in some strappy, funky flat sandals and a bright colour handbag and you're good to go.

If the neckline is too low, then instead of leaving the shirt open and tied, button it all the way up, tie the ends at the waist, and stick a fun and funky necklace under the collar.

Thanks, ladies. I guess I'll give up on this dress. I really liked it.

The shrug won't work because when I bend over, you'd still be able to see the scar. ( I didn't realize this before the surgery, but when you have two girls, and you bend forward, both girls fall into the fabric of the article of clothing being worn and it actually functions to keep everyone from being able to see your belly button. When there is just one, the remaining girl falls forward into the clothing and the prosthesis falls forward into the bra, but since it's not attached, it allows a view straight down to past the scar where my girl would have been--down to the bottom of the rib cage. It's like looking down a tunnel. :glare: Anything but a narrow, short V-neck has to hit at the collarbone, or that's what happens. Ugh. It's just a pain to try to find clothes.

Have you had a bra fitting since getting your prosthesis? Many women wear their straps loose by necessity when they are recovering from surgery, but then forget to readjust them after they have healed.

The American Cancer Society used to run a program called Look Good Feel Better that helped women meet with professionals who could help with prostheses, wigs, make-up, etc. I'm not sure if it still exists, but you may want to get in touch with them.

Hope you find an outfit that makes you feel beautiful!

Have you had a bra fitting since getting your prosthesis? Many women wear their straps loose by necessity when they are recovering from surgery, but then forget to readjust them after they have healed.

The American Cancer Society used to run a program called Look Good Feel Better that helped women meet with professionals who could help with prostheses, wigs, make-up, etc. I'm not sure if it still exists, but you may want to get in touch with them.

Hope you find an outfit that makes you feel beautiful!

My bra fits normally. I had surgery over a year ago.

They still do the Look Good Feel Better program. It is a really nice program where cosmetologists donate time and big name make-up producers donate make-up, so you get a little gift bag of make-up as well as lessons. I went during chemo and for a second time last week because my hair never all came back, including on my eyebrows. When I did the program the first time, I still had my eyebrows so didn't remember how to do them when they fell out permanently. (after the very last chemo treatment :/)

The program is mostly about make-up, but also covering up with wigs or scarves. I have enough hair that if I wear a hat, it looks normal.

They don't help with figuring out what clothes work with a prosthesis, though.