Menu

Thank you, Hunter, for mentioning Arithmetic Village!

Susie in MS

I believe this will be the key to my right brained dd who doesn't digest math well....oh this is like digestive math enzymes! :) I honestly don't know why this is not more popular. Though I do believe it would go over better if there were complete kits. Here is the fun:

~~5 picture books (printed or downloadable) which introduce the lovely characters and the concepts of +-x/.

~~Free printable mats which are to be laminated and used and reused with each book. These will have the characters and the places for the child to work the problems

~~And for the real fun: to teach the math you have to have a treasure chest (any cutsie box), 10 jewel bags (those little birdseed bags used at weddings), and 100 jewels (aquarium glass or beads, whatever). So you have 100s, 10s, and 1s. And $Tree has all of that plus the dice needed to color code.

The website has short vids to show fun ways to use the book and to do extra activities.

http://www.arithmeticvillage.com/index.html

(You can download Linus Minus free today. It may be gone tomorrow. as it is a V-day gift). Remember the book is only to introduce the character and the concept.

http://pinterest.com/arithmeticv/arithmetic-village-community/

This instantly captivated my dd and we are chomping at the bit to get the mats copied (in color at the library) and get the parts of the treasure! On and there are also a few patterns for crowns (paper or felt) to make if your child would like to feel the part!

Yes, I can see where the price would be prohibitive. As much as we would like the color printed copies, we went with the download. The books are very small and only introduce the character and the concept, so not really worth the price for the printed copies...unless you just have it to spend. But I can see it being a justifiable purchase for one with a child like mine. I am grateful for the ebooks being made available for a deal! But also she gives so many freebee printouts of the mats to be used, and so many free tips on how to expand the use of the program. My dd are really looking forward to this! Gems, castles, tales and rhyme, oh my!

The old books were $15.00 each. OUCH. The $40.00 for all 5 is a bit cheaper. The ebook option is going to be quite popular, I think.

This series is based off of the Waldorf methods which in turn are based off of Grube's Method.

Free Christianized African Waldorf pdfs that include math. The 4 Brothers are used instead of the 4 gnomes.

Many math phobic waldorf students are comforted by holding a doll representing the operation they are working on, and having a pile of shining stones on their table, even as they work through other curricula. It might be worth making dolls for the Arithmetic Village characters.

• 2 weeks later...

We have the first three books. We have used it only occasionally, but my son picked right up on the concepts when using this. I've been wanting to get the multiplication and divide books, but couldn't quite justify the cost. I didn't know that it was available as a download. Woo hoo! Thanks for letting me know.

Thank you so much for posting this! I drooled over these books long ago but couldn't afford them. While I would love to purchase the printed books eventually, I may have to go with the downloads for now. I'm so excited to see all the downloads made available now, too! I foresee some printing and laminating in my near future....

I'm still trying to get my ebooks printed.

Are you having difficulties, or have you just not had the opportunity yet? I hope it is the latter.

These are pdfs, kiwik. I put mine on a thumb drive and then printed them. I don't know if that answers your question as far as if they will work on a tablet.

I'm still having printer problems, but may have at least partially gotten one of my printers to work. I've been messing around some with them.

These pdfs are formatted for printing, not reading on a tablet. They are designed to be printed on both sides of the page and folded in half. A 24 page book only takes 6 pieces of paper.

I may take them to Staples and have them printed.

Oh man! I hate when stuff like that happens. My printer works great, but it is to get my puter to work. I usually have to restart it at least twice before it stops locking up...and that is first thing, not after running for a while. Then it gets overloaded easily. The other day it completely died, and dh had to work his magic to resurrect it! You can hear this poor thing struggling to breath! LOL! Thankfully we are getting EIC and FINALLY getting a motherboard. Hope you can get a new printer soon!

My printer broke last year and I still have not replaced it. When it broke, I knew it was actually a good thing for me. It forced me to go back to my oldschool roots and I was ready for that.

I looked at printers a couple weeks ago and got so overwhelmed. Also I don't have a car and they are HEAVY to carry walking and talking public transportation. One of my neighbors offered to let me give them money and use their charge and have it mailed to our building, but... I hate taking favors, so...we'll see.

At this point a good printer would improve my quality of life, but I'm just overwhelmed in choosing one and getting it home. I also want a pet but I'm too overwhelmed to do that either. Maybe I'll get a cat before a printer. I'm doing well without either, so...there's no rush I figure.

Hunter, I bought these thanks to you! I love them, they are so sweet. Do you want me to print off a copy for you (I'm assuming since both of us have paid for the ebook version this would be ok, right?) and sent it to you via mail? Just let me know, I'd be happy to do it! I've been so blessed by your kind words and wonderful advice, it would be a joy to help you out.

Hunter, I bought these thanks to you! I love them, they are so sweet. Do you want me to print off a copy for you (I'm assuming since both of us have paid for the ebook version this would be ok, right?) and sent it to you via mail? Just let me know, I'd be happy to do it! I've been so blessed by your kind words and wonderful advice, it would be a joy to help you out.

Thank you SO much for the offer! :grouphug: I'm going to figure something out on this end, but...wow. Thank you!

It's my joy to have the opportunity to help out here. Seriously. Back when I was at my sickest and almost entirely mute from the seizures, having the opportunity to interact normally with healthy peers here was such an important part of my recovery. I don't think you all can ever understand what you have done for me.

Not only did you all accept me as an equal, but you gave me an opportunity to be useful. And we laughed. :lol: Laughter is so healing. :D