Menu

Crazy message boards

lil' maids in a row

Surely I am the only one that does this! Why oh why do I go back to the same message board that makes me feel like :banghead: ??? It has posters with very extreme views that just drive me crazy! But..... it also has some really good and helpful ideas.

Does anyone else have a love/hate relationship with a message board? Or am I the only glutton for punishment?

*Just to be clear I am not referring to this message board, this is where I come to make me feel better about the world after reading the "other" message board :thumbup:

Yep. I still go back there occasionally, but it's kind of like watching a train wreck--horrifying and yet strangely fascinating at the same time. I find it entertaining and horrifying at the same time to read some of the bizarre (to me) extremist views on my own pet "crazy" board.

I used to frequent one for a few years, then I quit that and moved to another for a year or so. Honestly, once I figured out how those boards work, I was just going there to tick myself off. It's been many months since I was really engaged, but once in a while I get bored enough with my normal life that it seems attractive again. I peeked in once in 2013 so far, and thankfully was not tempted to post any comments. :)

Marriagebuilders turned crazy. They started banning people without anyway for other members to know what happened. They would just stop posting. And since they don't allow pms there was no way to ever contact other posters. And they strictly moderate the boards to the point you can't express a non MB opinion. It is crazy. Thankfully a bunch of the banned people went and formed another marriage site not quite so uptight and militaristic.

I don't know the boards referred to or what's being posted, but it might help not to slap labels on people like "extremist", which really has no substantial meaning. Everyone is in an extremist to someone else. We are all extremists to a lot of people because we homeschool our kids. Labeling people as "extremist" just seems a way to attempt to "win" a conversation by dismissing someone's views out of hand without actually having to do the hard work of really engaging the idea. It's not, IMO, a kind or logical way to be in the world, and doesn't really seem to fit the intellectual milleu of WTM.

I don't know the boards referred to or what's being posted, but it might help not to slap labels on people like "extremist", which really has no substantial meaning. Everyone is in an extremist to someone else. We are all extremists to a lot of people because we homeschool our kids. Labeling people as "extremist" just seems a way to attempt to "win" a conversation by dismissing someone's views out of hand without actually having to do the hard work of really engaging the idea. It's not, IMO, a kind or logical way to be in the world, and doesn't really seem to fit the intellectual milleu of WTM.

Huh? There are extreme message boards out there....the one I am talking about has turned that way. I can't really give an example without really bashing the board but trust me extreme boards exist....and the WTM board is not even close to being extreme.