Menu

Tell Me What the Cretans Did!!!

PachiSusan

When we were on our Mediterranean cruise in 2010, we went to Crete. All through our visit to Heraklion and The Palace of Knossos, we kept having this thought that we couldn't get out of our heads, and I can't seem to find the answer anywhere: Just what about the Cretans were so bad that their name is synonymous with "idiot" or "classless and crude". ?

You've heard it - "Don't be a Cretan!!!!!"

WHY????????????

Actually the term you are thinking of is cretin and it is not related to the Cretans. http://www.etymonlin...php?term=cretin

I don't know - in the same dictionary:

Cretan (n.) dictionary.gif Old English Cretense (plural), from Latin Cretanus (singular); see Crete. They were proverbial in ancient times as liars; cf. Greek kretismos "lying," literally "Cretan behavior."

I don't know - in the same dictionary:

Cretan (n.) dictionary.gif Old English Cretense (plural), from Latin Cretanus (singular); see Crete. They were proverbial in ancient times as liars; cf. Greek kretismos "lying," literally "Cretan behavior."

The word cretin comes from French "Chretien," and it originally referred to someone who was physically and mentally disabled due to thyroid insufficiency — it has nothing to do with lying or with Crete. Most etymologists think it's actually a corruption of the word "Christian," although there are a few other theories — but none of them have anything to do with Crete.

They are two completely unrelated words.

Jackie

It seems that the Cretan quote is not the only phrase Paul took from Epimenides.

I'm not quite sure why you think Paul took the quote from Epimenides. He was merely quoting that a Cretan prophet had said this.

I did ask what other phrases Paul took from Epimenides, and if you were referring to Acts 17:28, Paul was talking to the the Athenians and again quoted Epimenides. So I'm really confused now about what phrases Paul took from Epimenides.

So, even though I have the answers, I STILL don't know which one is actually right. LMAO!!

The one in the Oxford English Dictionary (and every other dictionary) is right.

If you're seriously in doubt, just google "cretinism." It was a medical term in the 18th century referring to congenital physical and mental developmental disabilities. "Cretin" is currently used as slang in a much broader way, in the same way that "retard" is. Cretan and cretin are two different words, just like bear/bare, poll/pole, etc. They are etymologically unrelated.

Jackie

The one in the Oxford English Dictionary (and every other dictionary) is right.

If you're seriously in doubt, just google "cretinism." It was a medical term in the 18th century referring to congenital physical and mental developmental disabilities. "Cretin" is currently used as slang in a much broader way, in the same way that "retard" is. Cretan and cretin are two different words, just like bear/bare, poll/pole, etc. They are etymologically unrelated.

Jackie

There are two dictionary definitions, am I not right? One regarding the Cretans and the other that is being mentioned "cretin", both of which can be used as people use it today to mean.

I'm not in doubt that the second exists - I'm not convinced that Cretan is wrong as referring to the lying people of Crete, like in the Bible. :thumbup1:

The word cretin means vulgar and boorish, which is not at all the same as lying. I have never heard anyone say it with that connotation. And I have never seen "Cretan" in writing except in reference to the people of Crete.

If you really want to dig into some research, you could do a google books search on the word "cretan". I did it and checked a number of the references that appeared. All of them referred to the people of Crete, not used the same way as "cretin".

I'm not quite sure why you think Paul took the quote from Epimenides. He was merely quoting that a Cretan prophet had said this.

I did ask what other phrases Paul took from Epimenides, and if you were referring to Acts 17:28, Paul was talking to the the Athenians and again quoted Epimenides. So I'm really confused now about what phrases Paul took from Epimenides.

I worded my post poorly. It was nothing more than a mental "aha" on my part, meaning, "So that's who Paul was quoting those times." Phrases being equivalent to quotes.

Among Greeks today, the Cretans are known as being the wildest and craziest Greeks. ;)

Of course "cretin" and "Cretan" are two different words with two different derivations. But the fact remains that Cretans are famous for being wild and crazy, from ancient to modern times.

Challenging you to ask any Greek you know about this!

I hope no Cretans are offended by this post. Some of my closest relatives are Cretan and we/they like to brag about this, in fun of course!

I worded my post poorly. It was nothing more than a mental "aha" on my part, meaning, "So that's who Paul was quoting those times." Phrases being equivalent to quotes.

Thanks for that clarification. I, too, had the 'aha' happen when reading it all, but I really thought you were implying Paul was claiming someone else's words as his own.

Thanks for that clarification. I, too, had the 'aha' happen when reading it all, but I really thought you were implying Paul was claiming someone else's words as his own.

In those passages Paul does attribute the quotes to someone else, so I didn't have any problem with that. I did find it a little disconcerting that the "In Him we live and move and have our being" quote (incidentally one of my favorites) was originally speaking of Zeus .

In those passages Paul does attribute the quotes to someone else, so I didn't have any problem with that. I did find it a little disconcerting that the "In Him we live and move and have our being" quote (incidentally one of my favorites) was originally speaking of Zeus .

Yes, I know what you mean. I'm quite glad I'm learning to look and read a whole passage now rather than one verse and take it as it looks because often it brings a whole different perspective especially when you know whom people were talking to and about.