Menu

Sadlier-oxford vocabulary workshop for ds 10 and 8

I feel that Caesar's English 2 (after CE1) is getting harder for my boys. In fact, it is more I that get tired of the discussing time.. I would consider S.O. Vocab as mentioned in the title.

I got the middle school A book and it looks just right for ds10. Which one is one or two levels below A for my younger?

I like the fact that I don't have to discuss with them as much as with CE and they can do it independently. They like the idea of having their own workbooks to write in.

We have done AAS 1--4 followed by Spelling Power for two years. Ds8 often spells better than ds10. I am considering dropping spelling in favor of Sadlier-Oxford Vocab Workshop. Do I have permission?

I am using the orange level for my 4th grader (10 y.o.) and the purple for my 2nd grader (8 y.o.). I think it is good. My kids do it independently. All I do is grade and discuss it with them if they get any incorrect. I could put a little more effort into it if I had the time, but I don't.

This is what their website states:

"Annotated Teacher's Guides and Answer Keys can only be shipped to a home address if the order and check is accompanied by the ordering person's Teaching Certificate. The Teaching Certificate may be faxed to us when using a credit card.."

I don't get why HSers who are registered with their state aren't allowed to order TM's.

Just as another option, Wordly Wise 3000 workbooks are quite similar to Sadlier-Oxford, and you can buy the WW TMs with no hassle, from all the usual book sources. I looked at both programs and decided to go with WW just because I liked the format better than SO, plus the TM issue. My DS works mostly independently with WW. Includes roots, vocab in context, plenty of practice, reading comprehension, SAT/ACT prep in higher levels, critical thinking activities, etc. You can see samples of WW workbooks here. All the word lists by level are available here (just click on students), as well as free online reinforcement activities (vocab games).

ETA: In my state, homeschoolers do not register with anyone and there is no paperwork to file, so I have no documentation that would satisfy SO's requirements. Those types of requirements are frustrating.

I decide to hae ds 10 start with the middle school Level A I got new from the used book list on Amazon for only $8.

So which one should choose for younger ds8? He is good at spelling and I am thinking of putting him in either Orange or Blue. Please help me choose.

It would be very difficult for someone who doesn't know your child to recommend the proper level for him. You can see TOC and 15 preview pages for each elementary workbook here. Hopefully that will give you a better idea of the challenge level of each book. If that isn't enough of a preview, sometimes when I'm debating between levels, I just buy the higher level, knowing that I can save it for next year if it turns out to be too advanced. (If I buy the lower level and it's too easy, then I'm stuck with something I can't use.)