Menu

Can I just say that I have canned 133 quarts of green beans?

that's awesome! I canned 9 quarts of applesauce yesterday, and I thought I was working hard :lol:

You were working!! I've never made applesause, and I want to try. I bought a food mill. Here is my concern--dd loves applesauce, and I buy her the unsweetened. I have a bunch of apples to put up, but they are June Apples, so they are tart. If I make applesause, won't I have to sweeten it? And so doesn't that defeat the purpose of my making it? I'd be feeding her sugar that she normally doesn't get! ahhhhhhhhhhh:confused:

What do you think?

You were working!! I've never made applesause, and I want to try. I bought a food mill. Here is my concern--dd loves applesauce, and I buy her the unsweetened. I have a bunch of apples to put up, but they are June Apples, so they are tart. If I make applesause, won't I have to sweeten it? And so doesn't that defeat the purpose of my making it? I'd be feeding her sugar that she normally doesn't get! ahhhhhhhhhhh:confused:

What do you think?

Ours isn't canned, it's frozen, but...I sweetened it. And I didn't use a foodmill. I just peeled and cored them. And then mashed them with a potato masher. Well, one batch I ran through the food processor. But I used some half brown and half white sugar. and a TON of cinnamon. (DH thought the apples were burnt!) And I cooked them in my crockpot. I'm toying with getting another bag of apples. It was about 20 lbs of apples and made 5 crockpot-fulls of apples.

Congratulations on the green beans. your family will be SO well fed this winter. They are always SOOOO good. I'm hoping to can some stuff next summer. Baby steps. Right?!

So you're not even going to need to buy any produce, right? I don't know that I could use that many green beans in one year! Will you eat all of that between now and next year's harvest?

I am buying very little produce right now, because we have so much coming in from the garden. I've really felt it in my food budget--there is a little extra! ha. I think we will eat it. I figured that 104 quarts works out to just two quarts of beans per week, and if I have a few extra then I can have more at holidays with extended family, and have some for company. We'll see how it goes. A few didn't seal, but I got better at that as I went along.

Are they the little greenish yellow June apples? My grandma had a tree. They would freeze the apples! She would cut them in chunks, soak in mild salty water, rinse, and freeze. Later, they would come out for cooked apples. A lot of times, my sister and I would simply eat them frozen, right out of the bag. Those were the best apples!

Great job on the canning! That is exactly what my family used to do when I was growing up with a garden.

Did you grow those in your garden? Wow. I"m really jealous.

Yes, and they are still coming in. I froze a couple of quarts today, because I didn't want them to go to waste. I've really babied the green beans this year, and they are rewarding me! ha ha. God is good.

Ours isn't canned, it's frozen, but...I sweetened it. And I didn't use a foodmill. I just peeled and cored them. And then mashed them with a potato masher. Well, one batch I ran through the food processor. But I used some half brown and half white sugar. and a TON of cinnamon. (DH thought the apples were burnt!) And I cooked them in my crockpot. I'm toying with getting another bag of apples. It was about 20 lbs of apples and made 5 crockpot-fulls of apples.

Congratulations on the green beans. your family will be SO well fed this winter. They are always SOOOO good. I'm hoping to can some stuff next summer. Baby steps. Right?!

Oh--cinnamon! That would be wonderful. And what a good idea to cook them in the crockpot and then freeze them! I love this idea.

Yes, baby steps. A little at a time is the only way we can learn this stuff.

Are they the little greenish yellow June apples? My grandma had a tree. They would freeze the apples! She would cut them in chunks, soak in mild salty water, rinse, and freeze. Later, they would come out for cooked apples. A lot of times, my sister and I would simply eat them frozen, right out of the bag. Those were the best apples!

Great job on the canning! That is exactly what my family used to do when I was growing up with a garden.

Yes, except I think they cross pollinated with another tree so they are a little red! Eating them frozen is a wonderful idea. Dd would love this. She loves eating frozen strawberries! I wonder why your grandma soaked them in salt water? They had such good reasons for doing things; I just wonder what it was.

:lol::lol: That's a LOT of green beans. I'm guessing we'll see a post in a few months from you asking "Anyone have new and interesting ways to use green beans?"

I'm about to ask that about yellow squash and green zuchinni. We're drowning in it. I've frozen lots of it, and we're eating it and giving it away, and it still keeps coming!!!:lol:

I got a little carried away planting. So we'll be eating lots of squash and zuchinni this winter.

http://www.extension.umn.edu/distribution/nutrition/DJ0555.html

This explains it!

There is a link on the bottom to a chart saying how to prefer fruit for freezing. I googled this and clicked on it right away without looking at where it was written. Umm, the author is actually my mom's first cousin! LOL! How ironic is that!

Wow! How funny!

What do you think?

yeah, we didn't really think about how the apples we were using were all pretty sour, so I just went ahead and made it without sugar like I always do....and it's pretty tart. It tastes fine if you like the taste of sour apples. 2 of my kids liked it, but the oldest one didn't, so I let him put a little brown sugar and cinnamon in his (and then of course the others wanted some, too). Anyway, I think I'm going to use this batch mostly for baking and then make a bunch more when I can get the sweeter fall apples.

This is so frustrating. It's nearly August, we have a big garden, and yet we've had very little to show for it thus far. The long, cold spring meant that nothing even began growing until the middle of June. So aside from the standard cool-weather crops (spinach, lettuce, kale, chard, peas) we've had very little to show for our efforts. I should say, my oldest son's efforts, because he's done the vast majority of the vegetable gardening this year. Eventually, we'll have a mess of stuff. The reason I say it's frustrating, though, is because time and again the harvest doesn't hit until we're back at school and activities ~ just when I don't have time to deal with it. Grrr...!

I am super impressed with all you've accomplished lately, Tracy! I was boasting about you to my husband: "You know, the woman who bought a dairy cow...":D

Did you use a pressure canner? Do you prefer them canned to frozen?

I usually freeze them but they aren't popular with my family so I end up throwing lots away.

I do use a pressure canner, Heather. I learned that that is the only safe way to can them. I put it off for years, because I thought it was so hard. It isn't. It is very, very easy. And my canner came from Wal-Mart; it cost me only $59.00.

I have frozen them in years past. They weren't too bad if I pressure cooked them before serving. But canned does go over better I've learned :)

WOW - that's AWESOME! I remember my mom and grandmas canning every year. To this day I love canned green beans and cannot stand frozen ones. :D I am quite envious - although I know it was hard work!

I have given up the dream of canning this year. If I'm lucky I'll get to make blueberry jam while I'm in Michigan. Other than that, with Schmooey hanging around, it's not going to happen. Sigh. You go girl!

This is so frustrating. It's nearly August, we have a big garden, and yet we've had very little to show for it thus far. The long, cold spring meant that nothing even began growing until the middle of June. So aside from the standard cool-weather crops (spinach, lettuce, kale, chard, peas) we've had very little to show for our efforts. I should say, my oldest son's efforts, because he's done the vast majority of the vegetable gardening this year. Eventually, we'll have a mess of stuff. The reason I say it's frustrating, though, is because time and again the harvest doesn't hit until we're back at school and activities ~ just when I don't have time to deal with it. Grrr...!

I remember your posts about your cold weather and rain. Is this normal for your area? I'm sorry it is so slow to come in. Just think--when the rest of us have run out of fresh produce, you're going to be sitting pretty!:) We'll all be drooling over your reports of fresh tomatoes and beans and cucumbers.

I am super impressed with all you've accomplished lately, Tracy! I was boasting about you to my husband: "You know, the woman who bought a dairy cow...":D

Thank you for your sweet words. I think it is just awesome that you and your husband have a dairy, and organic at that! There is a scarcity of good, clean food, and you all are the providers of that very thing.:)

Tracey,

We just canned some applesauce this past fall. I peeled and sliced the apples and put them in my pressure cooker. The pressure came up and I let it steam for about 5 minutes. Done! Then, I put the apples in the blender ( since I'd packed the potato masher). Instant applesauce! For an entire presure cooker full, I added about 1/4 c sugar and cinnamon. This was about 10-15 pounds of apples all together. It made about 10 pints. So for the sugar factor, there is actually very little per serving.....nothing like the kind from the grocery!

Applesauce is easy. That many green beans is definitely work!

melissa