Menu

Vegetables for breakfast? how do you prepare them?

Joan in GE

I am so proud of myself and I think this is the only place where people might understand. I fixed a great veggie laden breakfast this morning. Last night when I was making curry I chopped up an extra green pepper and onion so it'd be already to go this morning. I browned them up a bit in olive oil and then added some fresh spinach and cooked it until wilted. Then I topped that with a poached egg. It was fantastic! And inspired by this groups great ideas. Now off to fix a sweet potato for lunch.

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The black beans I do either fresh or canned (SunVista brand). Here's how I do it (cutting and pasting from another thread :))

Here's how I prepare them:

snip

let us know how they turn out if you make them!

Well, helena, I think I didn't quite do it right....after I'd blended them really well - I really liked the texture...(though I had to add a bit more cumin etc because they didn't have that much flavor)...then when I put them back in the pan and started cooking again, they started getting so dried out that I thought I better stop....During my walk, I remembered the picture from before where they looked like a piece of dried peat or something and realized that I'd had the wrong impression of what I was working towards tonight...So were they supposed to look like the picture on that previous link?

I am so proud of myself and I think this is the only place where people might understand. I fixed a great veggie laden breakfast this morning. Last night when I was making curry I chopped up an extra green pepper and onion so it'd be already to go this morning. I browned them up a bit in olive oil and then added some fresh spinach and cooked it until wilted. Then I topped that with a poached egg. It was fantastic! And inspired by this groups great ideas. Now off to fix a sweet potato for lunch.

That's great! I'm happy for you!

In fact, I was just thinking of changing the name of this thread to

"Streamlining Vegetables for Breakfast - How to do it?"

Because what I've discovered is that I need to be able to do them quickly unless it's a weekend and I have more time...I've just been spending too much time in the kitchen when I should be focused on schooling...

So this past weekend I made a big bowl of really lightly stirfried carrots, Chinese cabbage, zucchini, celery, spring onions, with some garlic" but then found I had competition. Ds3 wanted to take some to school (uni). Dd wanted some with noodles at lunch. I'd been imagining that I could have enough for breakfast for the week. Well at least dc are getting more veggies :-)

I thought from this base of veggies...I could pop them in soup one day, warm them up and put them on salad another day, just eat them warmed with seeds and nuts, etc...

Anyway, I'm wondering if anyone has made some kind of rotating plan for a week....in order to make eating veggies

"almost as quick as pulling cereal off the shelf"?

Joan

I need to go back through all these various recipes to combine and see how

In fact, I was just thinking of changing the name of this thread to

"Streamlining Vegetables for Breakfast - How to do it?"

Because what I've discovered is that I need to be able to do them quickly unless it's a weekend and I have more time...I've just been spending too much time in the kitchen when I should be focused on schooling...

So this past weekend I made a big bowl of really lightly stirfried carrots, Chinese cabbage, zucchini, celery, spring onions, with some garlic" but then found I had competition. Ds3 wanted to take some to school. Dd wanted some with noodles at lunch. I'd been imagining that I could have enough for breakfast for the week. Well at least dc are getting more veggies :-)

I thought from this base of veggies...I could pop them in soup one day, warm them up and put them on salad another day, just eat them warmed with seeds and nuts, etc...

Anyway, I'm wondering if anyone has made some kind of rotating plan for a week....in order to make eating veggies

"almost as quick as pulling cereal off the shelf"?

Joan

I need to go back through all these various recipes to combine and see how

I'm ready to talk about vegetables of all sorts and how to eat more of them. I've got a big pot of vegetable soup made for quick lunches and hopefully it'll be gone before we get sick of it. I'm going to try the hash that was mentioned earlier here. I've got potatoes and cauliflower cooked and ready to get browned with a little olive oil for breakfast. That's really all I have thought out for how to do it. I'm hoping inspiration strikes me early tomorrow.

I also have been making huge batches of steamed broccoli and keeping them in the fridge. I like to eat it with just a bit of salad dressing as a quick and health side dish.

I'm ready to talk about vegetables of all sorts and how to eat more of them. I've got a big pot of vegetable soup made for quick lunches and hopefully it'll be gone before we get sick of it. I'm going to try the hash that was mentioned earlier here. I've got potatoes and cauliflower cooked and ready to get browned with a little olive oil for breakfast. That's really all I have thought out for how to do it. I'm hoping inspiration strikes me early tomorrow.

I also have been making huge batches of steamed broccoli and keeping them in the fridge. I like to eat it with just a bit of salad dressing as a quick and health side dish.

Those different possibilities sound healthy and ready to go :-)...

I probably need to start letting myself eat some kind of salad dressing again to make things a bit more interesting....I'm hoping this weekend to get my veg schedule organized so I don't have to wait for inspiration (that doesn't always come early in the morning).

I also need to plan on making for more than just me...

One thing is that cutting veggies takes time when making huge quantities...I was using this slicing apparatus that is not electric because I was never happy with the attachments for the food processor (it's old)...What do you use for slicing veggies?

Joan

Anyone have any recipes they've made this week that they've loved and want to share? I always love new recipes! I recently made an asparagus soup that was easy and well loved:

Asparagus Soup (adapted by me from Allrecipes)

1 3/4 pounds asparagus, ends snapped and then broken or cut into 1" pieces

1 medium chopped onion

1 T butter

2 T flour

1/2 PLUS 1 1/4 cup broth (chicken or veg ... I haven't tried beef but it doesn't sound particularly good in this instance)

1 cup milk

1/2 cup plain yogurt

1 t lemon juice

1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese

Salt and pepper

Directions

Place asparagus and onion in a saucepan with 1/2 cup broth. Bring the broth to a boil, reduce heat and let simmer until the vegetables are tender. (About ten minutes for me. I might have overcooked them but I didn't think this would be a good recipe for crunchy veg.) Use an immersion blender to blend.

In seperate pan while asparagus is cooking melt butter but don't brown. Whisk while sprinkling flour, salt, and pepper into the butter. Do not let the flour brown. Allow the mixture to cook only 2 minutes. Stir in milk to and cook until it thickens like a gravy. Add milk mix and remaining 1 1/4 cups broth to blended veg. Increase the heat. Whisk yogurt into the mixture, followed by lemon juice. Stir until heated through. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese if desired.

Those different possibilities sound healthy and ready to go :-)...

I probably need to start letting myself eat some kind of salad dressing again to make things a bit more interesting....I'm hoping this weekend to get my veg schedule organized so I don't have to wait for inspiration (that doesn't always come early in the morning).

I also need to plan on making for more than just me...

One thing is that cutting veggies takes time when making huge quantities...I was using this slicing apparatus that is not electric because I was never happy with the attachments for the food processor (it's old)...What do you use for slicing veggies?

Joan

A knife and an enjoyable audiobook. :)

I haven't been too impressed with any of the gadgets out there so I just plan to spend some time getting a bunch of things prepped when I have time so when I'm trying to get lunch to the table quick then my chopping is done. I also have recruited DD to help and she's good at prepping carrots and kale so I have more time to do the trickier knife work.

and an enjoyable audiobook.

I really like the audiobook idea ! Now that I'm going to be more methodical about this - I can plan a book schedule :-) And now that asparagus is in season, it's the perfect time to try your recipe.

Thanks Amy ! (I'll add a recipe this weekend hopefully)

Joan

Anyone have any recipes they've made this week that they've loved and want to share? I always love new recipes!

This would not work for breakfast for me but it might for someone else. I made a yellow eyed bean curry this week, a legume side dish for us. A bag of yellow eyed beans was in my pantry but I suspect other beans could easily substitute.

HELP Amy!

What did you mean by this part of your adapted recipe? I checked allrecipes but can't figure it out. I'm right in the middle of trying to make this :-)

1/2 PLUS 1 1/4 cup broth (chicken or veg ... I haven't tried beef but it doesn't sound particularly good in this instance)

Thanks - Joan

HELP Amy!

What did you mean by this part of your adapted recipe? I checked allrecipes but can't figure it out. I'm right in the middle of trying to make this :-)

Thanks - Joan

I use the 1/2 c of broth to boil and steam the asparagus and onion in the first step. And then purree that all together. Then later on I use another 1 1/4 c of broth to add to the soup to thin it out a bit. Does that help? If not, let me know.

Oh. I see I left out the cup unit when I wrote it out. Oops. Bad homeschooling mom to not back check her work!

I use the 1/2 c of broth to boil and steam the asparagus and onion in the first step. And then purree that all together. Then later on I use another 1 1/4 c of broth to add to the soup to thin it out a bit. Does that help? If not, let me know.

Oh. I see I left out the cup unit when I wrote it out. Oops. Bad homeschooling mom to not back check her work!

Ok - so that 1/2 cup is what was previously added to the asparagus and onion...Got it. Thank you for the emergency answer!!! Joan

Anyone have any recipes they've made this week that they've loved and want to share? I always love new recipes!

A friend just sent me this - so I haven't tried it yet myself - but they look really good!

Petite Vegetable Frittatas

She also told how a friend would cook up veggies, then freeze them in portions and take one portion out each morning and microwave it.

In a small iron skillet, saute your favorite finely diced veggies - for me today it was green beans (found a bag from last years harvest in the back of the freezer), red pepper, yellow pepper, mushrooms (not technically a veggie but these were baby bellas and I lump them in that category), a little shredded cabbage, and a little bit of celery...I sauteed them in coconut oil.

In a sauce pan, I heated chicken broth and then took an egg (scrambled it well in a bowl), and slowly dripped it into the broth - homemade egg drop soup - then added the veggies and a little garlic and cooked for just a few minutes. I ladled it up over some leftover brown rice from the previous evening's meal. Boy, was that yummy! Definitely not your typical breakfast, but quite satisfying.

Faith - I'm doing the speed version of this - ok it's not officially eggdrop soup any more - but your soup got me doing this:

sauteing leftover veggies,

adding egg,

seasoning

and boiling water for almost an instant soup

and today the

leftover veggies already had tofu in, so I just added boiling water...

Ok, I have to work on the vegetable combinations and seasonings but I think this has a lot of potential in terms of streamlining! :-)

Joan

• 2 weeks later...

Well, helena, I think I didn't quite do it right....after I'd blended them really well - I really liked the texture...(though I had to add a bit more cumin etc because they didn't have that much flavor)...then when I put them back in the pan and started cooking again, they started getting so dried out that I thought I better stop....During my walk, I remembered the picture from before where they looked like a piece of dried peat or something and realized that I'd had the wrong impression of what I was working towards tonight...So were they supposed to look like the picture on that previous link?

What didn't work? The flavor or the texture?

If I'm dipping tortillas (or spreading them on a torta), the beans have to be runny enough to coat and stick to the tortillas. If I'm making them for breakfast as a side dish, I like them as a soft "log"... well sort but firm enough to keep the shape... and dry, but not weird dry. :tongue_smilie:

I control the consistency of the beans by adding more or less juice (from the pot you cooked the beans in, or the can.)

The flavor starts with making a good (flavorful) pot of beans. I think blending them works better the next day. Then re-seasoning the bean on blending day. Does that make sense? When I blend them I've seasoned the oil/pan with 1/2 onion, a clove or two of garlic, and sometimes a strip of vegan bacon. I blend everything but the onion with the beans, adding a bit of cumin and powdered (vegan) chicken broth. Next I pour the beans back into the skillet (with the onion which has blackened on the bottom, and the seasoned oil.) Then I cook it on low for about 15-20 minutes.

If I'm doing the log, I like to wait until the next day because they are naturally drying out a bit anyway.

Basically I make a big pot of black beans, eat them fresh that day, blend them the next day, and make a log the following day if any are left. If I never blend them, on the second or third day, I make Gallo Pinto. I tend to think the beans get better everyday. :) Until they turn on you of course!

What didn't work? The flavor or the texture?

If I'm dipping tortillas (or spreading them on a torta), the beans have to be runny enough to coat and stick to the tortillas. If I'm making them for breakfast as a side dish, I like them as a soft "log"... well sort but firm enough to keep the shape... and dry, but not weird dry. :tongue_smilie:

I control the consistency of the beans by adding more or less juice (from the pot you cooked the beans in, or the can.)

The flavor starts with making a good (flavorful) pot of beans. I think blending them works better the next day. Then re-seasoning the bean on blending day. Does that make sense? When I blend them I've seasoned the oil/pan with 1/2 onion, a clove or two of garlic, and sometimes a strip of vegan bacon. I blend everything but the onion with the beans, adding a bit of cumin and powdered (vegan) chicken broth. Next I pour the beans back into the skillet (with the onion which has blackened on the bottom, and the seasoned oil.) Then I cook it on low for about 15-20 minutes.

If I'm doing the log, I like to wait until the next day because they are naturally drying out a bit anyway.

Basically I make a big pot of black beans, eat them fresh that day, blend them the next day, and make a log the following day if any are left. If I never blend them, on the second or third day, I make Gallo Pinto. I tend to think the beans get better everyday. :) Until they turn on you of course!

That's very helpful - thank you!....I've just gotten out more black beans to cook :-) And I'll try again with your multi day meal approach....

When they were drier, the flavor seemed to be gone...is there anything special you do with the 'log'?

I was thinking of you this morning as I was cooking plantains in coconut milk with curry, cloves and cinnamon (not counting as a veggie - they were just quite ripe, so I thought I'd cook them while waiting for my broccoli to roast)...

I remembered you mentioning "plantanos" or something - were those plantains? Do you have a favorite recipe if so?

Amy - have you ever tried Sebastian's carrot soup? It's delicious :-)

http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/348311-so-frugalish-recipes/#entry3615382

Joan

That's very helpful - thank you!....I've just gotten out more black beans to cook :-) And I'll try again with your multi day meal approach....

When they were drier, the flavor seemed to be gone...is there anything special you do with the 'log'?

I was thinking of you this morning as I was cooking plantains in coconut milk with curry, cloves and cinnamon (not counting as a veggie - they were just quite ripe, so I thought I'd cook them while waiting for my broccoli to roast)...

I remembered you mentioning "plantanos" or something - were those plantains? Do you have a favorite recipe if so?

http://forums.welltr...s/#entry3615382

Joan

Joan - thanks for the recommendation. I'm heading out to the store shortly so I'll add it to the menu tomorrow.

I'm thinking about trying a new vegetable this week. Anyone have anything interesting they've done with Watercress?

This thread is full of so many awesome ideas. It can get boring eating spinach, kale, cheese and eggs every morning. I'm excited to try some of these new ideas.

That's my new favorite breakfast. I do a fried egg on top of a little spinach wilted with onions over toast. Yum!

My family loves this Grain Free Pizza Quiche. As weird as it sounds, it really does taste like pizza. I add in spinach and bell peppers and you'd never know they were in there. You can also substitute ingredients so it isnt pizza flavored. I also let my kids eat pudding for breakfast. It's called Chocomole Pudding. Two avocados, half a banana, 1/4 cup honey, 1/2 cup cocoa powder, and 2 tsp vanilla. Just put everything into the blender and mix well. I really dont like avocados, but I can eat the pudding any day :001_smile:

My family loves this Grain Free Pizza Quiche. As weird as it sounds, it really does taste like pizza. I add in spinach and bell peppers and you'd never know they were in there. You can also substitute ingredients so it isn't pizza flavored.

I also let my kids eat pudding for breakfast. It's called Chocomole Pudding. Two avocados, half a banana, 1/4 cup honey, 1/2 cup cocoa powder, and 2 tsp vanilla. Just put everything into the blender and mix well. I really don't like avocados, but I can eat the pudding any day :001_smile:

Those sound like great ideas (though that sounds like a lot of chocolate powder - or is it chocolate milk powder?)!

Thank you!

Joan

Those sound like great ideas (though that sounds like a lot of chocolate powder - or is it chocolate milk powder?)!

Thank you!

Joan

It's just cocoa powder, not chocolate milk powder. It seems like a lot but the bananas and honey add plenty of sweetness. If you dont want to use as much you can cut the recipe in half and use 1 avocado and 1/4 cup cocoa powder.

It's just cocoa powder, not chocolate milk powder. It seems like a lot but the bananas and honey add plenty of sweetness. If you dont want to use as much you can cut the recipe in half and use 1 avocado and 1/4 cup cocoa powder.

Thanks!

http://forums.welltr...s/#entry3615382

Joan

After a semi-hectic week with little cooking I finally made Sebastian's soup last night. Wow. That is a fantastic recipe! Frugal and delicious. I only used 1/4 c of butter but I think I could have even used less and it would have been great. Thanks for recommending it.

I just made turnip greens (from very young white turnips), boiled then fried with onion, which I popped into my leftover carrot soup! Very tasty actually.

(On the sweet side I've been having banana + blueberries + rice milk blended, then add almonds and blend a bit more so they are still crunchy - so yummy!)

Helena - I'm trying the blackbeans again....today is the "pureed" day....I keep forgetting to get bacon (and avacados) and somehow my seasons just don't taste that great. The beans taste a little acidic somehow...I don't think they're bad. I tried adding orange juice and on first bite they taste better, but then there's an aftertaste...

Joan

I just made turnip greens (from very young white turnips), boiled then fried with onion, which I popped into my leftover carrot soup! Very tasty actually.

(On the sweet side I've been having banana + blueberries + rice milk blended, then add almonds and blend a bit more so they are still crunchy - so yummy!)

Helena - I'm trying the blackbeans again....today is the "pureed" day....I keep forgetting to get bacon (and avacados) and somehow my seasons just don't taste that great. The beans taste a little acidic somehow...I don't think they're bad. I tried adding orange juice and on first bite they taste better, but then there's an aftertaste...

Joan

Hmm... how are you making them? What kind of pot are you using?

Who thinks that they are now getting 7 - 9 serving of fruits and vegetables a day? I'd love it if we did a mini challenge to see if we could do if for a week. I know I'm not right now but I'd sure have fun trying for a week. Anyone else in with me?

Hi Helena...ok, I was using a pot (not frying pan as I had too many beans), but I have cooked black beans in it before, I think, as I don't normally cook them in a pan....But maybe it was my other pot which is the same size...They're both something like stainless steel but I just looked in the bottom of this one and see it is discolored and remember the initial instructions which said not to put salt in the water until the water is boiling as it can react with the metal. So maybe it's not really steel? and reacted with the beans? but as I said - I think I've cooked black beans in it before...So I was wondering if the blending can do something to the beans? release something in the skin?

I'm going to try again, but not for a week or two....They did just get some bacon so I'll try adding it now to the leftovers...

Thanks for brainstorming with me!

Joan

Who thinks that they are now getting 7 - 9 serving of fruits and vegetables a day? I'd love it if we did a mini challenge to see if we could do if for a week. I know I'm not right now but I'd sure have fun trying for a week. Anyone else in with me?

Hi Amy!

Well, I think I am as I've also gone off all coffee, tea, and other sweetened drinks and sweets which means that I have to get sweetness from fruits...

and I am willing to keep official track...

Today I had

4 long branches of celery (with cashew butter - delicious!)

slice of avacado with a little bit of green onion and 1/3 c sprouts on bread with olive oil...(I think I'd only count all that as 1 veg serving)

2 sm bananas

1/4 c blueberries

1/2 grapefruit

so far :-) - too much fruit but I'll eat a bunch of veggies for supper....

ETA - 2 servings of turnips and 2 of broccoli rabe for supper, I think that makes at least 9 total

Joan

That's fantastic Joan. I had a bit of a rough day of eating because my friend invited us over for brunch and we all overdid it with the food a bit. I think there might have been asparagus in one of the cheese casseroles but I can't even count that because I'm not sure. Eek.

My count so far is:

1 banana today

:(

I find I do so much better if I only eat at home and that's what I'm doing tomorrow. Tomorrow I'll hit the 7-9 servings!

I find I do so much better if I only eat at home and that's what I'm doing tomorrow. Tomorrow I'll hit the 7-9 servings!

I know how it is...traveling can be bad too....So how are you doing today?

Yesterday my dd made me an enormous berry salad for breakfast, plus a separate bowl of blueberries for snacking later, and a huge pitcher of freshly squozen orange juice. (she kept trying to tempt me the day before offering to make homemade sticky buns, white chocolate mud cake, etc. I can't believe I held out. But the fruit was so delicious)....I had zucchini for lunch and then later the banana & blueberry smoothie...

I think I had about 8 servings of fruit and 1 veg :-)

I also let my kids eat pudding for breakfast. It's called Chocomole Pudding. Two avocados, half a banana, 1/4 cup honey, 1/2 cup cocoa powder, and 2 tsp vanilla. Just put everything into the blender and mix well. I really dont like avocados, but I can eat the pudding any day :001_smile:

Today I made that avocado pudding (but I didn't want to turn on the computer and forgot the recipe and therefore the banana and vanilla)....It was still good. I'd recommend it as a surprise dessert for open-minded friends :-)

Actually, today I'm not doing so well....

also a banana

cucumber - 1 serving

salad - 2 servings

5 celery stalks - 2 servings

I guess that's 7

Helena - I finally got the beans to taste good (sheepish grin) I got the bacon in there....and cooked them in a cast iron frying pan...no aftertaste. It was even the same beans, recooked... You probably think I'm a terrible cook that can't follow a recipe...Normally I'm not bad, I just kept forgetting to buy ingredients, etc..Anyway, I'm going to try to make the log tomorrow...

Joan

Helena - I finally got the beans to taste good (sheepish grin) I got the bacon in there....and cooked them in a cast iron frying pan...no aftertaste. It was even the same beans, recooked... You probably think I'm a terrible cook that can't follow a recipe...Normally I'm not bad, I just kept forgetting to buy ingredients, etc..Anyway, I'm going to try to make the log tomorrow...

Joan

I think the bean pot can make or break your beans. I grew up eating them from a traditional Mexican clay bean pot (which turned out to have lead in it!) The clay pots are the best IMO because they give a slightly earthy flavor. You can find them lead free.

My mom gave me an old GuardianWare pot with the domed lid (lids make a big different too), but those have aluminum... :glare: I do admit though, her beans are awesome from that set.

Now I'm using a cast iron Staub and they always turn out delicious.

I also find that the Mexican rice dishes need to be cooked in the right pan with the right lid. Once you find the right combination you're good to go.

I think the bean pot can make or break your beans. I grew up eating them from a traditional Mexican clay bean pot (which turned out to have lead in it!) The clay pots are the best IMO because they give a slightly earthy flavor. You can find them lead free.

My mom gave me an old GuardianWare pot with the domed lid (lids make a big different too), but those have aluminum... :glare: I do admit though, her beans are awesome from that set.

Now I'm using a cast iron Staub and they always turn out delicious.

I also find that the Mexican rice dishes need to be cooked in the right pan with the right lid. Once you find the right combination you're good to go.

You have me really curious about 'domed lids' and Guardian Ware...I just searched and saw a pot with a glass lid...very curious about what makes it special.....

I do have a nice domed ss lid for a large frying pan....

I'm really glad you mentioned that about clay pots and lead....I brought one back from Malaysia (they make Claypot Chicken Rice) but it was too small to make enough for our family once the kids grew....Now I wonder if it has lead in it....the rice was delicious too....

Thank you for all those tips, Helena! Don't know how long it will take to get my pots and pans together...but now I know of several new variables to blame if things don't taste great. :-)

Joan

You have me really curious about 'domed lids' and Guardian Ware...I just searched and saw a pot with a glass lid...very curious about what makes it special.....

I do have a nice domed ss lid for a large frying pan....

I'm really glad you mentioned that about clay pots and lead....I brought one back from Malaysia (they make Claypot Chicken Rice) but it was too small to make enough for our family once the kids grew....Now I wonder if it has lead in it....the rice was delicious too....

Thank you for all those tips, Helena! Don't know how long it will take to get my pots and pans together...but now I know of several new variables to blame if things don't taste great. :-)

Joan

I think it's all about condensation... but don't quote me on that! :D

Helena - I have a hand me down earthen pot I got from my grandmother. It dates ... well ... I don't really know. A long time ago anyway. Now I'm a little curious about it's lead content!

Joan - Your fruit and berry extravaganza day sounds wonderful!

My fruit and veg count so far today:

2 bananas

1 orange

2 servings of broccoli

1 serving of sweet potato

We're having breakfast for dinner so I might add in some more fruit and possibly a breakfast veg.

Helena - I have a hand me down earthen pot I got from my grandmother. It dates ... well ... I don't really know. A long time ago anyway. Now I'm a little curious about it's lead content!

Joan - Your fruit and berry extravaganza day sounds wonderful!

My fruit and veg count so far today:

2 bananas

1 orange

2 servings of broccoli

1 serving of sweet potato

We're having breakfast for dinner so I might add in some more fruit and possibly a breakfast veg.

It's good to know, but it puts a bit of a damper on my love of collecting old dishes.

I was so upset with myself for testing that old bean pot. I think I cried. :lol:

You can always use the pots for storage...

Amy - so how did yesterday go?

We had to travel quite early so just had small apricots, strawberries and blueberries in a container ready to go....wonderful in the spring (blueberries come from Spain now), then I found a vegetarian dish for lunch and got in more veggies at supper....

3 servings berries

1 serving apricots

3 + mixture cauliflower, broccoli, chinese veg, carrots, etc

3 green beans and Swiss chard

Today so far:

Swiss chard - 3 servings (with an egg)

2 bananas

1/2 c blueberries

avocado

1/2 banana (I made the pudding properly this time - really creamy and delicious!)

With spring time, it is so nice to eat fresh fruit...

Joan

My family loves this Grain Free Pizza Quiche. As weird as it sounds, it really does taste like pizza. I add in spinach and bell peppers and you'd never know they were in there. You can also substitute ingredients so it isnt pizza flavored.

I made this today and it was delicious!! I used bolet mushrooms and matchstick grated carrots.

Thanks again,

Joan

Have any of you tried the Cheesy Cauliflower Patties recipe that is going around lately? They are *delicious* and I find myself eating a leftover patty for breakfast a lot!

Here is the original recipe (not sure it's the original source, but it's the basic recipe): http://www.justapinch.com/recipes/side/vegetable/cheesy-cauliflower-patties-2.html

Cauliflower-Patties.jpg

These are so easy to adapt to your tastes. As long as you steam the cauliflower until VERY tender and mash it as much as possible, you can add green onion or chives, garlic or any other spices... I use a combo of chickpea flour and seasoned bread crumbs for the binder (along with the eggs) and they are so yummy! And cheese, add whatever cheese you like!

Have any of you tried the Cheesy Cauliflower Patties recipe that is going around lately? They are *delicious* and I find myself eating a leftover patty for breakfast a lot!

Here is the original recipe (not sure it's the original source, but it's the basic recipe): http://www.justapinc...-patties-2.html

Cauliflower-Patties.jpg

These are so easy to adapt to your tastes. As long as you steam the cauliflower until VERY tender and mash it as much as possible, you can add green onion or chives, garlic or any other spices... I use a combo of chickpea flour and seasoned bread crumbs for the binder (along with the eggs) and they are so yummy! And cheese, add whatever cheese you like!

This is really helpful because I have this pack of chickpea flour sitting in my freezer that I bought on a whim at the Indian food store (remembering some vague time in the past when a recipe called for it and I didn't have it) and haven't yet used it (where is that recipe anyway?).

Plus we've had this very wet spring and have more spring onions than I know what to do with, in the garden! (one of the few veggies we have growing - don't think I'm a garden mom at this point)

So I'm looking forward to trying this!

Thanks!

Joan

Had a delicious veggie-filled breakfast today. We had half a baked purple potato left over from last night's dinner, so I cubed it up small, and sauteed it in coconut oil along with some red bell pepper and kale. Then I added a couple of eggs and a couple of Tbsp. of water, covered it, and let it all cook. Topped it with a tiny bit of grated cotija cheese. It was SO good! Earlier this week I did the same thing with broccoli, eggs, and bell pepper, which was also delicious!

After a semi-hectic week with little cooking I finally made Sebastian's soup last night. Wow. That is a fantastic recipe! Frugal and delicious. I only used 1/4 c of butter but I think I could have even used less and it would have been great. Thanks for recommending it.

I just picked up a 10 lb bag of organic carrots. I'm giving this a try.

This is really helpful because I have this pack of chickpea flour sitting in my freezer that I bought on a whim at the Indian food store (remembering some vague time in the past when a recipe called for it and I didn't have it) and haven't yet used it (where is that recipe anyway?).

Joan

A recipe for farinata just came on my radar. A use for chickpea flour!

My usually half empty refrigerator is now overflowing with vegetables! I need to go back and reread this thread.

Here is the original recipe (not sure it's the original source, but it's the basic recipe): http://www.justapinc...-patties-2.html

Cauliflower-Patties.jpg

I am eating these right now - left over from last night. They are yummy. In fact the whole family liked them.

eta: Yesterday morning I ate guacamole with peppers, celery and carrots. For so many years I've never thought outside the 'breakfast food' box. I'm loving this.

I am eating these right now - left over from last night. They are yummy. In fact the whole family liked them.

eta: Yesterday morning I ate guacamole with peppers, celery and carrots. For so many years I've never thought outside the 'breakfast food' box. I'm loving this.

I've never tried that mix with guacomole - I'll have to try...And I just tried a s/o of the cauliflower fritters which I'll post below.

A recipe for farinata just came on my radar. A use for chickpea flour!

I just made this last night, as well as the fritters, quite interesting. I had a pan half the size required and was really hungry so I tried frying some in a pan while the other part was baking. It came out completely differently. The baked stuff when right out of the oven was light and like a thin cake...

I got the cauliflower but ended up with a bunch of well cooked broccoli yesterday so ended up looking up a similar recipe that did include the chickpea flower, and then used broccoli instead of cauliflower, as well as a bunch of Indian spices. They were quite tasty! I think this and spin-offs are good for vegetarians - with the increased protein from the chickpea flour. Plus, I'd never known that some of the Indian snacks I was eating were made with chickpea flour - but now realize they were...

My only problem is that even with using about half the salt required - my eyes are really puffy - so I'm going to have to see what was causing that....

I still have to try the proper recipe, hopefully soon :-)

I just picked up a 10 lb bag of organic carrots. I'm giving this a try.

That would have made a lot of soup! I guess either you have a bunch of children or will freeze it. :-)

Joan

I have been the worst eater the last week or so. We're trying to sell our house and move and there's just so much going on that I have been finding my go-to snack to be cookie dough. Ugh! Gotta do better than that.

I have been the worst eater the last week or so. We're trying to sell our house and move and there's just so much going on that I have been finding my go-to snack to be cookie dough. Ugh! Gotta do better than that.

Dd recently told a German friend that we Americans will eat cookie dough and he was just horrified!!! :-)

Oh Amy - the hardest time, for me at least, to eat properly is under stress, so I can quite understand. I hope you sell your house. :-)

Joan

Great thread! I always eat leftovers for breakfast.... I'm grain-free so usually it means leftover roasted veggies and roasted chicken... Sometimes I'll reheat it... :) But I try and always to have a big batch of roasted veggies in the fridge....

As many have already suggested: Sauteed spinach, kale and chard with mushrooms, onions and garlic with a fried egg on top is always a nice treat.

I also make egg muffins with any leftover hamburger or sausage meat (or any leftover chopped up meat, really) - crumble in the bottom of greased muffin tins, add some roasted veg (or spinach), then fill the muffin cups with beaten eggs, sprinkle with your fave seasonings and bake till golden and puffed up.... I always try and keep a bunch of these in a freezer bag in the fridge - and I eat them cold too (did I mention I don't have a microwave?! LOL! Lots of things get eaten cold)...

Great thread! I always eat leftovers for breakfast.... I'm grain-free so usually it means leftover roasted veggies and roasted chicken... Sometimes I'll reheat it... :) But I try and always to have a big batch of roasted veggies in the fridge....

As many have already suggested: Sauteed spinach, kale and chard with mushrooms, onions and garlic with a fried egg on top is always a nice treat.

I also make egg muffins with any leftover hamburger or sausage meat (or any leftover chopped up meat, really) - crumble in the bottom of greased muffin tins, add some roasted veg (or spinach), then fill the muffin cups with beaten eggs, sprinkle with your fave seasonings and bake till golden and puffed up.... I always try and keep a bunch of these in a freezer bag in the fridge - and I eat them cold too (did I mention I don't have a microwave?! LOL! Lots of things get eaten cold)...

That sounds like a very efficient way of doing it! I did that with the veggie frittatas (above) but I like how flexible your recipe is.

Thanks!

Joan