Menu

s/o Frugal(ish) Recipes

Here are the recipes I've been using instead of packaged seasonings:

Italian Dressing Mix (this is from Allrecipes.com)

1 tablespoon garlic salt

1 tablespoon onion powder

1 tablespoon white sugar

2 tablespoons dried oregano

1 teaspoon ground black pepper

1/4 teaspoon dried thyme (I think I used tarragon the last time; I'm always out of thyme.)

1 teaspoon dried basil

1 tablespoon dried parsley

1/4 teaspoon celery salt

2 tablespoons salt

I dump all of this into a clean jelly jar, then shake to mix it up.

To prepare dressing, combine 1/4 cup white vinegar, 2/3 cup light oil, 2 tablespoons water and 2 tablespoons of the dry mix. Shake well or whisk to mix.

Chili Powder (I also use this as taco seasoning with ground beef or chicken.)

(These measurements are parts. I tend to use tablespoons and jump it into a jar so I have plenty for the next time. But you could also use teaspoons and have about the right enough for one use.)

3 parts ground cumin (I grind from whole seed in an electric coffee grinder. Flavor is poppin' fresh.)

3 parts ground dried oregano

3 parts garlic powder

2 parts cayenne (I've used other dried peppers in a pinch)

2 parts salt

Combine and mix well. I probably use about 4 tablespoons in 2 lbs of ground beef for taco meat.

Lentil soup--1 lg potato diced, 1 lg carrot diced, 1/2 onion diced, 1 C lentils, 5 C broth of choice, 1 can diced tomatoes, herbs of choice.

Saute onion, potato and carrot in oil til onion softens. Add remaining ingredients and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer 45 min. or until lentils soften.

You can go spicy and use chicken broth, curry powder and red pepper, or traditional and use beef broth, thyme and oregano.

Carrot Soup

Cover 1 lb carrots with chicken broth (I've used canned or water + bullion cubes or powder). Add 1/4 - 1/2 cup butter, 2-4 teaspoons dried dill, and a couple cloves worth of crushed or chopped garlic.

Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 20-30 min or until carrots are soft.

In several batches, run all of the soup through a blender. (I think you could use an immersion blender here, possibly. I don't own one, so I'm not totally sure. Do make sure it's heat resistant, as this has a huge thermal inertia. I don't recommend using a regular mixer. It makes a huge mess and doesn't puree all that well.)

Once pureed, put soup back on the stove to simmer for another 20-30 min.

This makes a yummy hearty soup. It freezes really well (but start thawing the day before, because it will take forever to reheat).

I used to serve this with an Asian green salad and garlic bread. One thing I like is that you can use any kind of carrot, since they will be pureed anyway.

In fact, I think this end up on the dinner rotation this week. :001_smile: