Menu

Interesting Article

lavender

Interesting article. Kind of makes you wonder if we are overselling the college idea to our kids, particularly for majors that are not STEM in nature....not sure there is must of a return on investment.

http://www.theonion....tion-tha,30853/

What does the hive think?

This is not a news article. The Onion is satire.

Oh my gosh, that had me rolling. I know it is made up and satire, but it reads so much like what I've seen in many articles about the college crisis. People who chose their school based on its performance in football or basketball (or because they liked the colors or the mascot - as one swim mom shared about her daughter). Then took a degree that might have sounded edgy on paper but wasn't going to prepare them for life after college. Or who went to an expensive, private school and spent tens of thousands getting a degree that has little to no price differential depending on the source (ex. an education BS from an expensive school isn't necessarily going to be better than one from a state uni).

Cute! I was just talking with a student today who is visiting UMiami next week, although in her case, it's competing for a free ride there...

But yes, even satire can be cute. The bottom line, of course, is to beware of how much debt one is taking on for any school, and that is definitely worth a news article (satire or not).