Menu

Horror of Horrors - Our Tea Kettle Went Kaput

DaffodilDreams

I never thought I'd go electric, but this was given to me as a present a few years ago:

http://www.amazon.com/Aroma-AWK-115S-X-Press-2-Liter-Cordless/dp/B000KDVTJI/

My secret inclination was only to bring it out when the giver was over, but within a week, I put my stovetop kettle (a Chantal) in storage in the basement.

339A4FF2-132B-44F3-9F78-CC4B37684A28-2079-0000013B42A7AECB.jpg

The gadget in that picture is the Zojirushi electric water boiler. It keeps water at the perfect temp for tea (white, green, or black settings) all day. It 'sleeps' for 7 hours each night and is ready for me in the morning.

I've used it continuously for about 5 years. I use it for other things too, but it mainly supports our considerable tea habit.

Oh, Daffodil, how awful! No tea kettle would be a cause of much lamentation around here; you have my sympathy.

We've had a cheapy little Black & Decker Smartboil kettle for several years, and it works fine. It is starting to look a little grungy, though, even with Magic Eraser and vinegar baths (FYI: if you boil vinegar to clean the kettle, do so in a sink; boiling vinegar will spew spectacularly across the kitchen given half a chance). Must look into the ones nmoira and KFP recommended...

It looks like the heavy tea drinkers are united in their use of electric kettles, then. I love stove top kettles, but perhaps this is a wake up call that a switch is needed. Nmoira, the brand I'm currently mourning is a Chantal. KFP, I love the idea of the different tea settings! Does it take long for the water temp to switch from one tea setting to another?

Thanks!

It looks like the heavy tea drinkers are united in their use of electric kettles, then. I love stove top kettles, but perhaps this is a wake up call that a switch is needed. Nmoira, the brand I'm currently mourning is a Chantal. KFP, I love the idea of the different tea settings! Does it take long for the water temp to switch from one tea setting to another?

Thanks!

Honestly, I'm not sure I know how long it takes. It's never struck me as TOO long.

I have that. My Keurig replaced it, but I hung onto it just in case. I used it all the time.

That's impressive. If I drank more tea, I'd consider that. I'm about 50/50 between tea and coffee these days. Dh is 100% tea.

DH and DD use a mug-sized French press to make coffee with it :-)