Menu

Personal Finance course recommendations

Ds (14) would like to take a Personal Finance Course as an elective this coming semester. Dave Ramsey has a course that fits into a semester and then I thought ds might find Zac Bisonnette's Debt-Free U interesting since Bisonnette definitely had the entrepreneurial spirit early on. This would all take minimal planning on my part which would be good as ds is due home in a week.

Dh and ds listens to Dave Ramsey and are all for this plan. I have personal reservations about Mr. Ramsey so I am not as excited. Does anyone have other options for me> I do not need materials from someone like VISA.

We just started Dave Ramsey's program. My kids are learning a TON. Can you use that and then discuss the parts that you have an issue with?

This is good to hear, since I just pushed the button. This is the first time in six years dh has overridden my curriculum choices. He feels that if ds finds Ramsey to be engaging then the course can only be a positive.

My problem with Dave isn't about content, but the amount of money he makes off the backs of people that can often least afford it. But then, as my dh points out, dh has never given Dave a dime until now; he just listens to the radio show and gleans information.

My problem with Dave isn't about content, but the amount of money he makes off the backs of people that can often least afford it. But then, as my dh points out, dh has never given Dave a dime until now; he just listens to the radio show and gleans information.

Dave Ramsey is pretty forthright about saying he makes a good living off teaching people common sense.

I tend to agree about Dave making lots of money, but his program would not be nearly so successful if people didn't invest in it. People are much more likely to follow through in something they've invested in. It's a little about teaching common sense and a lot about changing behavior.

Dave Ramsey is pretty forthright about saying he makes a good living off teaching people common sense.

I tend to agree about Dave making lots of money, but he program would not be nearly so successful if people didn't invest in it. People are much more likely to follow through in something they've invested in. It's a little about teaching common sense and a lot about changing behavior.

:iagree: :iagree: :iagree: :iagree: :iagree: :iagree: :iagree:

it is not evil to make money.

Have you read Dave's money back guarantee? http://www.daveramsey.com/fpu/online-faq/#refund

Can I get a refund if I don’t like the program?

We have a simple and easy-to-understand guarantee for our program:

If you do it, it works.

If you don’t do it, it won’t work!

If you will work the program, you won’t want your money back.

If you don’t work the program, you don’t get your money back!

Also, at his live shows- I have seen him give away bags full of materials to single moms. I even saw him stop a show to pray for a man who had collapsed and was waiting for an ambulance. (The man was OK- he reported on it later in the show.) So while he DOES make a profit, he also does a lot to give back- and more importantly- helps people get in aposition where they *too* have extra money to give.

Dave Ramsey is pretty forthright about saying he makes a good living off teaching people common sense. I tend to agree about Dave making lots of money, but he program would not be nearly so successful if people didn't invest in it. People are much more likely to follow through in something they've invested in. It's a little about teaching common sense and a lot about changing behavior.

:iagree: :iagree: :iagree: :iagree: :iagree: :iagree: :iagree: it is not evil to make money. Have you read Dave's money back guarantee? http://www.daveramsey.com/fpu/online-faq/#refund Can I get a refund if I don’t like the program? We have a simple and easy-to-understand guarantee for our program: If you do it, it works. If you don’t do it, it won’t work! If you will work the program, you won’t want your money back. If you don’t work the program, you don’t get your money back! Also, at his live shows- I have seen him give away bags full of materials to single moms. I even saw him stop a show to pray for a man who had collapsed and was waiting for an ambulance. (The man was OK- he reported on it later in the show.) So while he DOES make a profit, he also does a lot to give back- and more importantly- helps people get in aposition where they *too* have extra money to give.

Ack! I have no problem with anyone making money. If I did, I probably wouldn't have an MBA. :tongue_smilie: I also agree that Dave has helped thousands of people, and made good money off the process. Yes, what Dave sells is common sense and many of the concepts he teaches are available for free on the Internet and in the libraries. My dh has been an avid fan of Dave's no-nonsense advice for years, so I don't need to be sold on Dave's appeal, but do reserve the right to be uncomfortable with certain aspects.

For a personal finance curriculum for a high school student, I am looking for practical, well-written information that is not underwritten by anyone with a stake in consumer spending.

It has been several years since I have seen Dave's materials for Peace University, but I remember them as being somewhat poorly written and disorganized even if the ideas were good. That has probably changed? I also didn't want a simple rehash of the debt snowball etc. for my son. Some of the main aspects of Ramsey's program are for when you are already in trouble. My hope is that the high school material is fresh and more of the preventative nature. Does that make sense?

I have this one earmarked to look at later. It's free, saw it recommended here. http://www.moneyskill.org/index.cfm

Paula, this is one of the courses I saw yesterday, but I am not sure how you access it. There was another free educational one offered as well, but I had to receive approval as a homeschooler before I could have unlock the resources. I hope I won't be kicking myself for ordering the DR materials. I did find a $10 off coupon.

For a personal finance curriculum for a high school student, I am looking for practical, well-written information that is not underwritten by anyone with a stake in consumer spending.

hmm... I decided to try what MFW offered since I've used their stuff for a decade.

link

http://www.mfwbooks.com/products/M50/50/25/0/1#finance

We're using it right now and in the midst of it.

1. I've actually written to MFW about a way to combine the books a little differently than they did, so I guess for the first time in a decade I've not completely liked their selection and plans. It's not that it's bad... but not up to their usual standards that have worked for me.

2. I like the very practical side of the Larry Burkett workbook they use in the course. I like the activities in there if you do them with your student to have them help on your budget, help on your taxes. FAFSA, etc. thought the advice was appropriate for teens with jobs, college paying, buying car, and other stuff so far. I wasn't sure about the us savings bonds info... that one paragraph may not be accurate these days.

3. I'm still forming my opinon on the Alcorn book. part of typical high school personal finance course is all about the decision process of what to do with money. And this book really covers that. I know my daugher and I are skimming some chapters. haven't read the whole book yet. about half way through it. I like how mfw says in the lesson plans, you may not agree completely with this author on stuff.

overall so far, I like the Burkett workbook. not expensive. very straightforward. by itself not really enough for semester credit alone.

anyway.. as I was thinking about it in the last week, I looked online for typical high school courses. Found this site

http://www.southadams.k12.in.us/webpages/jwalker/index.cfm?subpage=1046790

using the left side menu scroll bar, there were links to some chapter overviews and questions from some book used in that instructor's course. looks like this book

http://glencoe.mcgraw-hill.com/sites/0078698006/

but try some of the links on that teacher's site to see what's covered. lot of topics to think about with high schooler. she has flashcards, etc. for her course. terms to know...

then.. be sure to let your student get practical experience with family finances too. ??

anyway..... I'm right in the midst of it all. I'm just not ready to give the mfw course both thumbs up yet... got one thumb up and one... thinking about it...

Paula, this is one of the courses I saw yesterday, but I am not sure how you access it. There was another free educational one offered as well, but I had to receive approval as a homeschooler before I could have unlock the resources. I hope I won't be kicking myself for ordering the DR materials. I did find a $10 off coupon.

Yes, it looks like it requires registration and verification. I'll have to do a search on here, as I know someone here has used it. I'd like to see if they had to jump through extra hoops as a homeschooler. You know how much I like hoops. :tongue_smilie:

There is a personal finance course running right now on Coursera, but it is geared towards adults -- i.e. units on retirement or saving for your children's education, rather than what to do with a first credit card. You might sign up since it is free, and use some of it to supplement whatever else you choose.

I'll jump on the Dave Ramsey wagon for a bit and maybe you can think about the content alone vs. the personal issues you have against it. Ramsey's suggestions has helped ME personally and so I naturally thought about it for my DD. I like that it's geared towards children and REAL LIFE. My mom is an accountant and I remember her lecturing me as a young adult about money, saving and credit cards and I never listened. I think that Ramsey's methods are practical for real life situations. I also like the fact that he includes charity as well. Just give it some more thought and more than anything pick a program that you can "practice what you preach". I find some budgets and finance suggestions are hard to put into practice for our family, so why would I suggest that for my DD. Good luck!

Maybe this is a really stupid question, but: if Dave Ramsey's advice is basically common sense, why do you, as a parent endowed with common sense, need to use his course to instill common sense in your student - instead of just involving him in common sense family financial decisions and planning? Would not a student get a lot more out of seeing how financial common sense is applied in a practical family situation instead of listening to some guy on the radio? What am I missing?

Maybe this is a really stupid question, but: if Dave Ramsey's advice is basically common sense, why do you, as a parent endowed with common sense, need to use his course to instill common sense in your student - instead of just involving him in common sense family financial decisions and planning? Would not a student get a lot more out of seeing how financial common sense is applied in a practical family situation instead of listening to some guy on the radio? What am I missing?

:huh: Regentrude, if I didn't know better I would think you actually are my Danish friend - practical, logical, and frugal.

:blushing: I have no common sense answer for you.

Ds has finals this week and then he will be home for three classes, which I have had about two weeks to plan for. The Personal Finance course is one of his home classes for 0.5 electives. I know with enough time and motivation, I could put something together but right now, I don't want to. My dh also thinks it might be better for ds to hear some of the advice from a third party.

Dh and I have been talking about having the kids more involved with our finances, but it hasn't happened. The older two kids are going to get their driver's licenses tomorrow. My older son knows that if semester grades are not good, then he will have to cover the difference in the insurance rate if he loses the good grades discount. We are not consistent with our financial education of the guides and it would be good if I had a plan that kept me accountable.

This all sounds rather lame when I write it out. Regentrude, like my Danish friend, you sometimes make my brain hurt - in a good way. :D

I will have to think some more on this - as soon as the history and lit and comp lesson plans are finalized.

Dave's course for teens is much more than common sense. We've only been through the first 3 chapters so far. The first was on savings, different options, calculating compounding interest etc. The second was investing, stocks, mutual funds, CDs Bonds, etc. This week was retirement accounts, Roths, traditional IRAs, 401Ks and all the others which I can't even name but ds can.

There is a lot of good information in the course. His advice is a lot of common sense. His finance class is a good overview of what you need to know to make those good common sense decision.

We used Dave Ramsey's program in our co-op a few years ago and DS#2 did it then. With DS#3 I enrolled him in an online class through the Univ. of OK high school program. It used a textbook that he found somewhat interesting and engaging and that I found hit all the aspects that needed to be hit. It is secular. It was one of those things that is required by the state for public/private schools and I was no longer in the co-op so this was the option I took. It was a super cheap textbook, probably because it was rather beat up. But it was the standard for the state. I just looked on the bookshelf and cannot find it, but if you are interested I can dig deeper in my boxes upstairs. But it may not be the way you want to go...I'd pick Dave Ramsey, myself, if I was going to teach it.

Thank you all for the heads-up on Dave's class. I am going to run with it and not worry. The Personal Finance course was my son's request. I think it goes along with helping him plan for funding his boat purchase. :D

Dave will teach him all about saving and investing and get dollar signs (and boats) swimming before his eyes! :lol:

:D I would be 100% thrilled with this if I didn't remember a time in the not so distant past when the boy was obsessed with understanding how black markets worked.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I hope he isn't disappointed that Dave doesn't cover black markets. :lol: