Menu

Best Pre-alg/Alg choice for kid who hates math?

I have read all the pre-alg/alg threads I can. I have taken notes. I have thrown out ideas, started over with a fresh mind, and driving myself crazy trying to figure out the path we should take.

Ds will be 6th grade next year. He is finishing Horizons 6 this year. He does not like math. Nope, not at all! But he's good at it. Usually gets high scores on the tests and the daily work is usually only one or two to fix and that is often little mistakes in his computation.

I would prefer something with a video component or online class available. I would prefer some kind of solutions for some of it and not just answers. This is one area I think he needs to watch and try to do on his own for our relationship lol. I can help but he really has such a hatred of math he wouldn't ask unless completely upset and confused. And by then he's not really listening to me anyway.

He likes engineering type things...lego mindstorms, robotics in general, electricity stuff(snap circuits). He will need math for any career he's ever thought of doing.

He can do the math, he just has this mental block/hatred about math.

I have Saxon as my back up choice. I think he will hate it. But if I can't figure out anything else it's my plan since the teacher videos have every problem worked out. He liked the Saxon lady over Art Reed or the Dive one. He's been an active participant in our math search. he's open to something new.

I spent yesterday looking at Foerster. Not cheap to get that solutions manual! I have also considered Jacobs. I looked at DM and AoPS but not sure he's ready for that kind of challenge. He wants to know how to do it, and do it. Right now he's not looking to dive in deep unless he has to. Interestingly Dh will put math problems before him....yesterday it lasted for 30 min calculating something they were going to work on. He has no clue when his dad sucks him into real math like that lol.

So what is going to be best? I want some depth b/c he can do the math. He needs something he will like enough. And teacher video or online class available might save our relationship :-)

Thank you for your opinions and advice :-)

I'd start by asking him if he can figure out what he hates about math. Boring? Tedious? Moves too slow? Jumps around too much, or not enough? He might have some thoughts that would point in one direction or another. (If he says he hates having to think deeply, that's one for which I'd respond, "too bad.")

Have you shown him the AoPS samples and prealgebra videos? If he's capable of getting "sucked into real math," and he's good at math, it may be worth checking out further, even if it turns out to be not his style or too challenging (my two who have used it have had a hard time with chapters 2 and 5 but seem to cruise after that). It's the most different and least-tedious approach that I can think of. With this student, I'd avoid Saxon like the plague, but that may depend on his actual reasons for hating what he's experienced thus far.

I'd show him these two videos, for a little taste:

Least Common Multiple

Least Common Multiple Slick Trick

Also, just for fun, he could play around in Alcumus, the free on-line problem-solving program that can be set to follow the order of the topics in the prealgebra book.

I'd start by asking him if he can figure out what he hates about math. Boring? Tedious? Moves too slow? Jumps around too much, or not enough? He might have some thoughts that would point in one direction or another. (If he says he hates having to think deeply, that's one for which I'd respond, "too bad.")

Have you shown him the AoPS samples and prealgebra videos? If he's capable of getting "sucked into real math," and he's good at math, it may be worth checking out further, even if it turns out to be not his style or too challenging (my two who have used it have had a hard time with chapters 2 and 5 but seem to cruise after that). It's the most different and least-tedious approach that I can think of. With this student, I'd avoid Saxon like the plague, but that may depend on his actual reasons for hating what he's experienced thus far.

I'd show him these two videos, for a little taste:

Least Common Multiple

Least Common Multiple Slick Trick

Also, just for fun, he could play around in Alcumus, the free on-line problem-solving program that can be set to follow the order of the topics in the prealgebra book.

He says it's hard on his brain. He feels like his brain fills up on math and then he can't get it out lol.

He likes being told how to do it and just do it. He doesn't care about the why of how it works. He likes understand how to work things, but not the why behind it. (his quote)

I liked those videos. But he was confused. And we've done LCM and prime factorization but he was confused on the video. He isn't interested in more than one way to learn a problem. Some days he finds math easy but most days he's too worked up about having to do it and it's frustrating to him. But he rarely gets things wrong. So I know he can do math and do it well.

Well at least you can cross aops off the list. Still, I wouldn't want to completely neglect concepts in favor of plug and chug, so in that regard his desire to avoid thinking only goes so far.

What about Derek Owens? too boring? (seems dry to me, but he might have a different opinion?)

We use TabletClass which I highly recommend. We started with MUS but wanted something more standards based and in depth. TabletClass provides the solutions to all the problems which are worked out by the instructor via video lessons. The lessons are very straight forward and thorough. You can demo it with him to see what he thinks. In selecting a program we demo'd Derek Owens, KineticBooks and TabletClass among others. In the end ds11 liked TabletClass and Derek Ownes the best with an edge to TabletClass. I also like it from a scope and sequence perspective as it introduces many algebraic topics earlier on. Here are some of the videos he can watch to get an idea: http://www.youtube.c...ser/tabletclass

I recommend narrowing the options to ~ 3-4 which meet your general criteria (Saxon, Derek Owens, TabletClass, etc..). Then let your ds participate in the final selection via demos/samples. I think that will at least provide him with more of a sense of ownership vs. feeling like something is thrust upon him which he hates/dislikes.

My DD claims that she "hates" math but it's a work ethic issue. So many subjects come easily to her that when she actually (gasp!) has to work at something, it's like she gets offended. She also complains about non-academic things that don't come naturally to her like learning a musical instrument, dance, etc. I've used enough different math programs with her to know that the problem isn't with a specific curriculum but rather a character issue.

How about VideoText? It's got video lessons and not a ton of problems, although there are extra problem sheets if you don't get it the first time, and I hear it's reasonably challenging (like, much more than TT, but not on the level of AoPS). The first module (or two?) is pre-Algebra. It doesn't have a textbook at all, though. None of my kids went for it, but my friend's two dds both did very well with it.

Maybe try Kinetic Books http://www.kineticbooks.com, we have not tried it, but I have heard good things about it.

If you don't mind a program without videos and are looking for something that gets to the point quickly I would recommend this one:

http://www.aplusses.com/zencart/textbooks-c-1.html (they do not have prealgebra though)

For prealgebra, I also recommend the Key to Algebra books.

teaching textbooks!!!!! fussy baby in my arms so can't type much, but trust me. My son was also good at math but hated it. He doesn't mind TT. WEll, he hates all the review but admits it has really helped him get good and fast at things. And if he gets a problem wrong he just clicks on "show me how to do it" and it will break down the whole problem for him.

I have one of those!

DD11 is very good at math, but doesn't care for it. Like your son, she is pretty science focused and every career she can think of that she would want, will require higher mathematics. At best, she's indifferent about math, but when it gets hard, she hates it.

She's in grade 6 this year; we're using Math Mammoth 6, Dragonbox, and hands on equations (along with some Dad instruction) and calling it pre-algebra (the engineer hubby is pretty confident that MM6 will prepare her well for algebra).

Regardless, we're tackling algebra 1 next year (grade 7). We'll use a combo of Teaching Textbooks (because I want her to be fairly independent with her poor attitude subject) and Jacob's.

We use several different math curricula, and the only two my dd doesn't moan about are MUS and LOF. Maybe together they would be a complete curriculum. I also use Saxon and MM for safety nets. I do Saxon with her orally (we're on 6/5 and can still do that at this point), so I fly threw 3 lessons at a time focusing on what I know she needs practice on. MM makes her think and that's one of the reasons she doesn't like it.

Laura

• 2 weeks later...

What about Foerster's Algebra using 'Math Without Borders' as the video supplement? You mentioned that your son wants to be told the rules for doing something and then do it. I think Foerster does this. It is a very straightforward presentation.

Also, some of the 'I hate math' stuff is about maturity. You may just have to slog through math until he reaches that point! (It does get better!)

What about Foerster's Algebra using 'Math Without Borders' as the video supplement? You mentioned that your son wants to be told the rules for doing something and then do it. I think Foerster does this. It is a very straightforward presentation.

Also, some of the 'I hate math' stuff is about maturity. You may just have to slog through math until he reaches that point! (It does get better!)

That is on my list to consider now.

In the last month his attitude has varied on math. Some days it's 'fun'. His displeasure of division is now focused on fractions. He likes decimals however, lol. Last night I came home and he was up late in the school room....looking at math lessons. ???? Dh said he was asking questions about how he uses math in his work....so I do see his opinion of math changing this year drastically compared to previous years.

Thanks!

My DS (6th gr.) hates math even though he's really good at it. We've tried lots of different approaches. I finally broke down and bought Teaching Textbooks a couple weeks ago. So far, so good. He's independent and if there's a problem he doesn't get, the program explains it. He does often want to show me why "his way" would still work but we are no longer fighting over Math. I decided to have him do TT 7(easy so he doesn't freak out) and have it scheduled to be done by end of May so that we can start with P-Alg and then Alg for 7th (we school year round). The cost is high but I've spent so much on failed programs (my kids NOT the programs themselves) that I'm determined to suceed.