Menu

dd breaks my heart

Kaleidoscope

She's 10.

She is adopted and knows she was abused by her birth parents. She's been with us since 7 months old but you can't erase those first months, especially when you have scars staring at you.

Now she's watching her father and I deal with marriage problems and its really upsetting her.

She doesn't have a therapist but its high on my priority list now.

I would seek out a therapist that is experienced with kids adopted through the foster care system. The adoption agency might have a therapist for you to use or at least connections in finding one.

Yes, I definitely will. I have a name for a person and from what I can find on her it sounds like a good starting place at least.

She's 10.

She is adopted and knows she was abused by her birth parents. She's been with us since 7 months old but you can't erase those first months, especially when you have scars staring at you.

Now she's watching her father and I deal with marriage problems and its really upsetting her.

She has a lot to deal with. Children often feel they are the cause of marriage problems. It sounds like you could all use some family counseling. It's not like there is just something wrong with her world view. :grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug:

She's 10.

Yes, therapy is essential.

I was adopted after abuse also. The most important thing you can help her to understand is that all of the things that other people do they did because there was something wrong with them, not because there was something wrong with her. Other people have illnesses or make choices that can affect us in bad ways, but that is because of their choice, not because of us. Point out similar situations if you can think of them. Make sure she understands that your current marriage problems are because of the choices you and your husband make and issues that you may have and not because of her.

Understanding this got me through a lot of hard times, and therapy really helped me get there. If a ten year old is feeling this way, and is dealing with difficulty at home as well, she needs a safe haven where she can talk about how she feels without feeling like she may be contributing to problems. Therapy can really help.

Very sad... but very good that she is able to put those words into feelings and she trusts you enough to tell you. I hope you therapy helps her.

Considering the fact there was a time she bit, hit, pinched, and head butted me all day I'm amazed at the fact she trusts me enough to tell me how she feels.

Yes, therapy is essential.

I was adopted after abuse also. The most important thing you can help her to understand is that all of the things that other people do they did because there was something wrong with them, not because there was something wrong with her. Other people have illnesses or make choices that can affect us in bad ways, but that is because of their choice, not because of us. Point out similar situations if you can think of them. Make sure she understands that your current marriage problems are because of the choices you and your husband make and issues that you may have and not because of her.

Understanding this got me through a lot of hard times, and therapy really helped me get there. If a ten year old is feeling this way, and is dealing with difficulty at home as well, she needs a safe haven where she can talk about how she feels without feeling like she may be contributing to problems. Therapy can really help.

I'm glad that's the right thing to be saying because that's exactly what I told her today. I hope therapy will help. She's dealt with an seen too much in her life.

She has a lot to deal with. Children often feel they are the cause of marriage problems. It sounds like you could all use some family counseling. It's not like there is just something wrong with her world view. :grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug:

You are right, there are actual things happening so it's not just her wrong view. I am in counseling. My husband refuses to go. There's a lot to deal with there but nothing that can be done at the moment.

Just made an appt for me to go in and meet with a counselor regarding dd on Monday.

We will actually be discussing my 10 year old and 8 year old who was recently seen by a neuropsych for an education eval. He was very concerned about her anxiety levels and had recommended I have her see somebody. My girls are falling apart.