Menu

SOCIAL GROUP: Atheists, agnostics, free-thinkers, non-believers

Guest inoubliable

Yeah, the forums are heavily moderated now. It's crazy. You can't say anything against SL. It's way different than the WTM forums. I have full access but don't really use it.

There's the IG which has the daily schedule and all of the notes and questions for the books. The IG is huge and easy to use. You also have a timeline book with timeline stickers and the IG tells you when to put them in the book. There's a big foldable map with US on one side and world on the other. There is also a smaller foldable map that goes in your binder and the kids have mapping exercises they do. I wish I could show it all to you because it's hard to explain. I'm a check off the box kind of person so I love the organization. I'm going to look at the link you posted.

Looked over at Sonlight for a bit. Confusing, first off. Their forums were not helpful. I didn't realize you had to pay for full access! Good grief. And I saw at least one person asking about Netflix lists to go along with some "Core" and it got shut down by a mod. LOL. Woo!

From what I can tell, though, it looks like a HUGE booklist for each year. A teacher's...script?...to guide through reading. The books are supposed to cover history, science, literature, language arts? The lists themselves look very very similar to Classical House of Learning's lists. (My apologies - I still can't remember which WTMer's site this is! It's a fantastic curriculum, though!). It looks like you have to include your own math program.

Any other insights to Sonlight? Now that I've been thinking on it for several hours, I'm thinking this might be a project I could take on (with as much help as any of you would like to contribute!).

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You explained it so much better than me. Took the words right out of my mouth. :D

I'm far from an expert, as we've only been using the curriculum for one week :laugh: but what I like about it is the schedules and instructor's guide. I've seen amazing book lists, but for where I am right now, I think I just need that handholding that the schedules and instructor's guide offers in SL - my own history education was lacking - a lot of memorizing dates for tests and moving on, so I feel I'm learning right along with the kids, so having some scripted discussion points, and book suggestions, and time line activities, and map activities, and literature that flows through whatever topic we're discussing, along with what seems like a very gentle, Charlotte Masony approach to language arts (although they do recommend adding on spelling and grammar but present it as optional). So our first week is over, and I really liked going to day 1, and doing that - reading what we read, talking about what we talk about, doing whatever activities are asked of us. And then day 2.. And so on. I didn't like pulling out the Christian texts and wondering if we should just pull them or replace them with something else, and if we replace it, what should we replace it with? And should I be going through the entire curriculum and figuring this out ahead of time? There's a secular sonlight yahoo group, but for the Cores I have, and the newer editions, I'm not seeing anything telling me exactly what I should do, so I'm just winging it...right now.

tbh, I work from home, the kids are involved in out of the home classes, and two of the kids are very serious dancers, and I just am trying to find something where my homeschooling time is spent with them rather than planning and scheduling and preparing. I've never thought I'd be a boxed curriculum homeschooler, as I prefer to be relaxed, child-led, etc, but nothing was getting done, and the kids were unhappy and feeling behind and feeling stupid :crying: and I was frustrated, so I'm trying it..and this week went really well. We'll see how long it continues.

Guest inoubliable

It seems very similar to Calvert, then. I used that for DS12's K year. We hated it, but I was working FT and needed something in a pinch. Hmm. This is going to be a very large project. How easy is it to find used copies of one of their IGs?

Or, they could refund our property tax money!!!

I'm angry on your behalf. :laugh:

I know! One of the problems here in Texas is there are a lot of homeschoolers that don't want public school access to happen either. We're basically not regulated and they fear it would impose regulations. I would gladly let my kids take a test if it meant extracurricular activities and dyslexia help through the school.

It seems very similar to Calvert, then. I used that for DS12's K year. We hated it, but I was working FT and needed something in a pinch. Hmm. This is going to be a very large project. How easy is it to find used copies of one of their IGs?

Isn't Calvert textbooky? SL uses books with a spine but the spine isn't a textbook. I have a SL Core B I could send you but it's the old version. It's from 2007 I think so probably very different. I like the new layout.

We used Calvert for K and 1st. The text-booky-ness of it didn't bother me but the insipid script drove me NUTS. I remember there was a fire safety week of script and it was sooooooooooooooo dumb. I read it thinking, "Holy cow! I homeschool in part so my kids won't be around people this dumb!!"

I just remember, "Tell your child that fire is HOT. Hot, child! Do you understand that?"

I tried reading that to my kids and burst out laughing. And they looked at me like I was the village idiot.

Granted, it may not occur to EVERY homeschool mom on the planet to take their kids to fire safety week at the local firehouse, etc. but holy cow. If you have a FIVE year old who doesn't know that fire is hot, public school it is for you!! :laugh: :laugh:

Guest inoubliable

Textbooky.... um. All I can REALLY remember is that there was a ginormous spiral bound IG that was so over the top with every. little. word. you. should. use. That's the similarity I was thinking of. I don't remember having as many books as Sonlight seems to require, but I do seem to remember a few that came in the box with Calvert. It was Kindergarten, though, so I'm not sure if similarities arise more in older grades or they are completely different programs by then.

I'd love to get a hold of one of their IGs. If you wouldn't mind sending it, I'd send it back when I finished taking a look at it. I just did a quick Craigslist search in my local area and didn't find anything here. Now that I'm thinking about it, it seems odd that there isn't a company out there putting together a secular, literature-based curriculum. Really really odd.

you can get some samples of the SL IG on their website - like three weeks worth, that would give you a good idea - I have a few different samples of cores on my harddrive - Calvert seemed way too textbooky for my liking when I considered it. I like the literature approach a lot. I also looked at Oak Meadow, but we're not so much a project family, and I think, if I remember correctly, they scheduled for the week, rather than the day, which makes it super easy for us to put everything off until Friday and then panic and just push it to the next week - cause my girls and I rock like that :thumbup1:

Textbooky.... um. All I can REALLY remember is that there was a ginormous spiral bound IG that was so over the top with every. little. word. you. should. use. That's the similarity I was thinking of. I don't remember having as many books as Sonlight seems to require, but I do seem to remember a few that came in the box with Calvert. It was Kindergarten, though, so I'm not sure if similarities arise more in older grades or they are completely different programs by then.

I'd love to get a hold of one of their IGs. If you wouldn't mind sending it, I'd send it back when I finished taking a look at it. I just did a quick Craigslist search in my local area and didn't find anything here. Now that I'm thinking about it, it seems odd that there isn't a company out there putting together a secular, literature-based curriculum. Really really odd.

PM me your address and I'll send you the IG I have.

I've also wondered why there is not a secular literature curriculum like SL. I know there has to be a demand for it because even Christians are secularizing SL. It's just too mission focused and preachy. It's missionary based so condescending to the unreached nations. :rollseyes: <---- not sure if that will be an emoticon. lol

you can get some samples of the SL IG on their website - like three weeks worth, that would give you a good idea - I have a few different samples of cores on my harddrive - Calvert seemed way too textbooky for my liking when I considered it. I like the literature approach a lot. I also looked at Oak Meadow, but we're not so much a project family, and I think, if I remember correctly, they scheduled for the week, rather than the day, which makes it super easy for us to put everything off until Friday and then panic and just push it to the next week - cause my girls and I rock like that :thumbup1:

I have been so close to buying Oak Meadow. It always comes down to SL having better book selections. I'm not a project kind of mom at all. Plus, we are a family of ADD procrastinators. We'd be scrambling on Fridays. lol

Guest inoubliable

Woo! I'm a little tied up on that new gun thread. Grr.

Anyway. I'll PM you my address. I can't get their sample thing to work. I've tried a couple of different email addresses and nada. Maybe it takes a while to push them through email?

I'm sooo not a project mom, either. I'd love to be. I see great and cute things that moms here do on their blogs. I just know, though, that I don't have the time for it, or the money for the supplies, or the space to store all that kind of stuff. I really like the idea of a literature based curriculum that covers everything. We're procrastinators, too. Ask me why we're almost 5 weeks behind our local public schools - despite starting before they did. >.<

Ladies, we may have an opportunity in front of us to make this happen! Woot!

I do projects with the kids but if they don't come in the kits from Oriental Trading Company, they don't get done. This is why we have 8 Thanksgiving wreaths instead of 2. I have two kids but buy some cheap project crap in the minimum order which is usually 12. :laugh:

That's my idea of a "project."

Guest inoubliable

I do projects with the kids but if they don't come in the kits from Oriental Trading Company, they don't get done. This is why we have 8 Thanksgiving wreaths instead of 2. I have two kids but buy some cheap project crap in the minimum order which is usually 12. :laugh:

Ahahaha. Gotta love Oriental Trading Company!

I'm totally laughing at the 8 Thanksgiving wreaths because I love Oriental Trading Co. I love their crafts but I'm always wondering what I will do with 12 magnetic picture frames. :D

Woo! I'm a little tied up on that new gun thread. Grr.

Anyway. I'll PM you my address. I can't get their sample thing to work. I've tried a couple of different email addresses and nada. Maybe it takes a while to push them through email?

I'm sooo not a project mom, either. I'd love to be. I see great and cute things that moms here do on their blogs. I just know, though, that I don't have the time for it, or the money for the supplies, or the space to store all that kind of stuff. I really like the idea of a literature based curriculum that covers everything. We're procrastinators, too. Ask me why we're almost 5 weeks behind our local public schools - despite starting before they did. >.<

Ladies, we may have an opportunity in front of us to make this happen! Woot!

Woohoo!

Ugh...Not another gun thread. I have a few FB friends that like to compare Obama to Hitler, talk about starting a civil war, post lovely pics of their children holding guns, and talk about the school shooting being a hoax. They seem to think either our govt. killed them or the entire town was made up just so the govt. can take all of their guns from them. Hmmm...

My next order, I'm shipping the excess to all of you!!!

We need to split orders between all of us! I totally wanted to buy the kids stocking stuffers from them but couldn't get past all of the extras I would have. What would I do with it all??

Guest inoubliable

Ah, so the gun thread wasn't really a gun thread. That went way off and I guess got deleted before I could read it all. :D

Heh. I had to make myself a Disaronno sour to calm down. Oh, and I PM'd you.

I've often thought that, as homeschooling becomes more and more mainstream, that it would be way cool to have homeschool parents organize regional homeschool...warehouses? lending libraries? I'm not sure what to call it. DH and I were talking about it one night. How it would be nice to have a place - someone's home or a rented office - that serves a good portion of VA/MD/WV. Homeschool parents could pay a small fee to have annual access to books owned by a cooperative (I guess?), maybe nice printers to run off copies, audio books? Eh. We didn't fully flesh out the idea. There were Disaronno sours that night, too.

Ah, so the gun thread wasn't really a gun thread. That went way off and I guess got deleted before I could read it all. :D

I missed it! I always miss all the drama threads. I've been behind on work, so I haven't been able to keep up with the boards - just this thread because I get the emails :laugh:

Guest inoubliable

I missed it! I always miss all the drama threads. I've been behind on work, so I haven't been able to keep up with the boards - just this thread because I get the emails :laugh:

Never fear! I stepped right into this one too: http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/449939-a-pastors-criticism-of-homeschoolers/page__gopid__4622544#entry4622544

I think tis must be Troll Night!

Woohoo!

Ugh...Not another gun thread. I have a few FB friends that like to compare Obama to Hitler, talk about starting a civil war, post lovely pics of their children holding guns, and talk about the school shooting being a hoax. They seem to think either our govt. killed them or the entire town was made up just so the govt. can take all of their guns from them. Hmmm...

There are many civilized nations who have solutions to that. The govt doesn't take all our guns. You can have guns... to hunt. You can't have the ones that are basically designed for hunting people, though.

There are many civilized nations who have solutions to that. The govt doesn't take all our guns. You can have guns... to hunt. You can't have the ones that are basically designed for hunting people, though.

Oh sure. Take all the fun out of it... :glare:

Guest inoubliable

We're not quite that civilized here, Audrey. :(

But then how would you protect yourself from the government that is out to get you? ;)

Guest inoubliable

I really want to change my screen name to bitchgoddess now. :p

Hahaha. Me too! I was sooo tempted to last night. I figured Audrey would beat me to it, though. LOL. I told DH that I may have a new name for our homeschool. He thought it was perfect.

Guest inoubliable

But then how would you protect yourself from the government that is out to get you? ;)

Bear spray? Bwahahahaha

This is a great idea! I'm pretty sure one of the homeschool groups I used to be a part of had something like this. I'd love to see more mainstream and secular resources pop up.

I've often thought that, as homeschooling becomes more and more mainstream, that it would be way cool to have homeschool parents organize regional homeschool...warehouses? lending libraries? I'm not sure what to call it. DH and I were talking about it one night. How it would be nice to have a place - someone's home or a rented office - that serves a good portion of VA/MD/WV. Homeschool parents could pay a small fee to have annual access to books owned by a cooperative (I guess?), maybe nice printers to run off copies, audio books? Eh. We didn't fully flesh out the idea. There were Disaronno sours that night, too.

I'm on my iPad and having issues editing the huge quote, but I would like to thank BrookValley for her thoughts on MBtP. I think a lot like you, so there is no way I would find it rigorous enough. I am looking for something planned out as I am burned out on the planning aspect of homeschool. We're thinking about k12 for some subjects just to give me a break on the planning.

No problem. I think higher levels may be more rigorous--more literature, and I hear a lot of writing--but my overly type-A self hasn't been able to get 100% on board with it as a complete curriculum at this point. I tend to skip MBtP and just focus on math and reading/phonics. I would like to finish out what I have because I do think there is value to it and my son does enjoy it. We'll see. Like you, I need something open-and-go. I work full time and I just don't have time to plan and pull a bunch of things together.

I posted early on in the gun thread but then I guess it got deleted. I must have missed all the fireworks!

If you ever get anything off the ground with your homeschool center idea, I'm in!! I'm in MD. There's not a lot for homeschoolers in my particular area (and most everything that is available, like co-ops, does not welcome secular homeschoolers). I'm also digging the idea of a secular SL-type curriculum. I've thought about trying to secularize SL so many times--I know there are plenty of folks who do--but it's a lot of money to invest to then have to do that much tweaking.

Mr. Q's science, anyone?

How have i not seen his stuff before?!?! It looks simple, non-religious, easy to get started... And the whole life science text is free!!!

Am i missing something? Is it terrible?

I've thought the same thing myself! It looks too good to be true. I have the intro level of Elemental Science, which is secular and pretty cheap if you just buy the PDF download. We haven't done too much of it yet, but so far we like it. I've heard good things about Mr. Q's, but I haven't had time to really look into it myself.

Guest inoubliable

Mr. Q's science, anyone?

How have i not seen his stuff before?!?! It looks simple, non-religious, easy to get started... And the whole life science text is free!!!

Am i missing something? Is it terrible?

It's fantastic. We used the life science last year, and we're using earth science now. I just picked up chem for next year. He just had a 50% off sale. It ends tomorrow.

No problem. I think higher levels may be more rigorous--more literature, and I hear a lot of writing--but my overly type-A self hasn't been able to get 100% on board with it as a complete curriculum at this point. I tend to skip MBtP and just focus on math and reading/phonics. I would like to finish out what I have because I do think there is value to it and my son does enjoy it. We'll see. Like you, I need something open-and-go. I work full time and I just don't have time to plan and pull a bunch of things together.

I posted early on in the gun thread but then I guess it got deleted. I must have missed all the fireworks!

If you ever get anything off the ground with your homeschool center idea, I'm in!! I'm in MD. There's not a lot for homeschoolers in my particular area (and most everything available, like co-ops, do not welcome secular homeschoolers). I'm also digging the idea of a secular SL-type curriculum. I've thought about trying to secularize SL so many times--I know there are plenty of folks who do--but it's a lot of money to invest to then have to do that much tweaking.

I run the Eastern Shore branch of an inclusive umbrella and support group that does field trips and get togethers during the school year. My side of the bay is slow, but the central MD group is very large and they have stuff going on all.the.time. We're designed to be unschooling friendly, but most of my ES families lean classical.

Just a thought for networking and activities. ;)

XO ~ another aspiring bitch goddess.

Guest inoubliable

If you ever get anything off the ground with your homeschool center idea, I'm in!! I'm in MD. There's not a lot for homeschoolers in my particular area (and most everything that is available, like co-ops, does not welcome secular homeschoolers). I'm also digging the idea of a secular SL-type curriculum. I've thought about trying to secularize SL so many times--I know there are plenty of folks who do--but it's a lot of money to invest to then have to do that much tweaking.

I think there are a LOT of people who would appreciate a resource center like that. The thing is, we don't have a huge "backing" like an entire church or denomination to get it started, kwim? And I think that's a huge stumbling block for ANY secular gathering or group to getting started. So many people still "in the closet" and too many people thinking that there isn't a big enough need or large enough group to get something going. I'd love to see a good secular resource started. Country-wide even. Why *shouldn't* we have a choice of a good quality, literature-based curriculum? Why don't we have catalogs and warehouses and book lists, like the religious denominations do? Because no one has started it, or followed through on it. I'm game, ladies. I'm putting some thoughts on paper. Whoever wants in, let me know.

It's fantastic. We used the life science last year, and we're using earth science now. I just picked up chem for next year. He just had a 50% off sale. It ends tomorrow.

Ooh! Thanks for the heads-up! My husband loved life science. I'll let him know.

Ok, I don't see any mention of a sale on the website. Is there a code? Disregard. My husband got the email. ;)

Guest inoubliable

Just making sure you ladies didn't miss Classical House of Learning. (I really need to figure out which WTMer this site belongs to so I can give her props!)

http://www.classicalhouseoflearning.com/

Free. Secular. This is the second year we've used it and her lesson plans are fantastic. Options for some creative, crafty stuff but totally not necessary. She's even got most of the books as 4-for-3 prices on Amazon. Worth checking out if you want a nice literature program that goes right along with a SOTW schedule.

Guest inoubliable

I just looked at Mr. Q's science and it looks great! I noticed they have online courses coming soon which would work for my oldest. Are there recommended grade levels for the books?

As far as I know, the books are elementary (grammar) level. I don't know if he's moving into middle school (logic) level or not, but I hope he does! I haven't checked into any of his online courses just yet. I like his newsletters - lots of extras for whichever science you're doing at the moment. Definitely sign up for those.

Life Science - first grade

Earth Science - second grade

Chemistry - third grade

Physics - fourth grade

There is an advanced Chem available. I've looked over the Chem we bought for next year and it seems meaty enough so far, but if Deebs (my rising third grader) wants something oozier and gooier, we might go with that.

I run the Eastern Shore branch of an inclusive umbrella and support group that does field trips and get togethers during the school year. My side of the bay is slow, but the central MD group is very large and they have stuff going on all.the.time. We're designed to be unschooling friendly, but most of my ES families lean classical.

Just a thought for networking and activities. ;)

XO ~ another aspiring bitch goddess.

Cool. We belong to an inclusive umbrella as well. They do a lot of things, but I'm in southern MD...about as far south as you can go and not fall into the Chesapeake Bay. :laugh: So I haven't attended anything that my umbrella puts on because it's all in central MD and about 2 hours away. I've met a few other local homeschooling families that, while not necessarily secular, are open-minded and welcoming. We've gotten together a few times for park days, but I haven't found much else local. Part of it may be that my kiddo is still young (kindergarten) and I just haven't looked hard enough yet and/or the organized stuff seems to be for older kids.

I think there are a LOT of people who would appreciate a resource center like that. The thing is, we don't have a huge "backing" like an entire church or denomination to get it started, kwim? And I think that's a huge stumbling block for ANY secular gathering or group to getting started. So many people still "in the closet" and too many people thinking that there isn't a big enough need or large enough group to get something going. I'd love to see a good secular resource started. Country-wide even. Why *shouldn't* we have a choice of a good quality, literature-based curriculum? Why don't we have catalogs and warehouses and book lists, like the religious denominations do? Because no one has started it, or followed through on it. I'm game, ladies. I'm putting some thoughts on paper. Whoever wants in, let me know.

The need is definitely there for some quality, rigorous, literature-based materials/complete curriculum. I think it would also appeal to many Christian families as well. I can't imagine that the religious materials out there are one-size-fits-all, given the many different flavors of Christianity. I think that someone upthread mentioned that even Christian families will secularize SL because it's not *their* type of religious material. I see a lot of potential for this kind of thing!

Guest inoubliable

The need is definitely there for some quality, rigorous, literature-based materials/complete curriculum. I think it would also appeal to many Christian families as well. I can't imagine that the religious materials out there are one-size-fits-all, given the many different flavors of Christianity. I think that someone upthread mentioned that even Christian families will secularize SL because it's not *their* type of religious material. I see a lot of potential for this kind of thing!

I see that, too. So many Christian families saying that they need to tweak it. I honestly can't wait to get started on it. I think it'll be fun. But, then, I'm a little weird like that. LOL.

I see that, too. So many Christian families saying that they need to tweak it. I honestly can't wait to get started on it. I think it'll be fun. But, then, I'm a little weird like that. LOL.

I honestly don't feel that anything SL has to offer is worth giving my money for them to further their very particular brand of evangelical mission.

I honestly don't feel that anything SL has to offer is worth giving my money for them to further their very particular brand of evangelical mission.

Yes. I finally had to ask to be removed from the Sonlight mailing list (it took several tries but I managed it). I unfortunately don't have the complete text of the last letter that I received in 2008 (I threw it away in fury) but this is the email that I sent to them:

Dear John and Sarita

I recently received your letter in which you described belief in Hinduism as 'spiritual slavery', 'bondage', and said that Hindu people have 'no joy.' I had previously appreciated John's lack of venom about other faiths, but now do not feel able to associate with your company.

Please remove this email address from your records, as well as my mailing address.

On a more minor matter: it took me two editions of the catalogue to persuade John (I was in direct email contact with him) to change the description of Jane Austen from 'Victorian'. It didn't seem important to him, which was an odd attitude for an educator to take.

Laura

I emailed mr q and it seems that he may take a neutral stand on earth age and all that stuff. When i glanced through some stuff, i forget which, i thought i did see something on fossils, age, evolution. Now im not sure.

Neutral or religious (and budget) is what has stopped me from using a premade curric. We've been going by mood and interest so far this year. Ds has mentioned that a few things are fun, but he's not interested in going deeper, so we really need a curriculum.

By the way, intellego unit studies has evolution units. The author told me that when her elementary evolution unit came out, her employees started getting harassing phone calls! I dont LOVE her unit studies, but they are reasonably cheap and totally secular. I've used a few.