Menu

SOCIAL GROUP: Atheists, agnostics, free-thinkers, non-believers

Guest inoubliable

I'll PM you. I didn't want to post the link in case well meaning Christians decided to head over there to reconvert people. :)

Would you mind sharing the forum? If not here, could you PM me? I think it might be helpful.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I'm living proof that's not always true. I went to religious education starting young and my parents took me to church regularly. When I was 13 I refused to go to religious education anymore. My parents stopped going to church. I'm not quite sure why they stopped going, but I guess they kinda weren't feeling it anymore either.

I don't feel guilty and I don't fight anyone on these matters. Really, I could care less.

I know that now. I didn't want you to think I still thought that. :)

Hi! *waves*

I'm not around too much anymore, but I want to pop in. I'm feeling pretty lonely these days, and wishing I had a "non-faith" family--or any social group, really, so this might be lovely.

My husband and I are atheist. He grew up R.C. and was an altar boy, and the 8th of 9 children.He left R.C. in his teens, was an atheist, but was "Born again" when he was in his late 20s I'm from a non-Christian family but became an fervent Evangelical in my teens. We met as missionaries and continued leading Bible studies, worship, and ministry for several years. We did a reevaluation of faith and reason when our children were young and involved in AWANA, Sunday School, etc. We're now atheists. We had to change our entire lives and jobs as a result. There was no great tragedy or life-change that persuaded us that religions were untrue--it was just considering Christianity through the same critical lens through which we analyzed all other religions. We were in a very heavily Christian environment, so the "exit" from our entire community was rather . . . sad.

Our children don't appear to have any interest or desire for a god, and rarely ask about faith, but we answer all of their questions plainly when they do ask.

Anyway, I'm glad there's a group here for non-believers, and where we can share our stories, and hopes, and life struggles with one another without having extraneous religious expectations.

Cheers!

Guest inoubliable

I don't feel guilty and I don't fight anyone on these matters. Really, I could care less.

This is us. We're not militant atheists. Religion is a non-issue for us. We don't go out on protests, we don't go door-to-door asking if we can "share reason", we don't tell people that they're wrong for what they believe. We like mythology, we're just not religious about it. Really, the only time it comes up is when a) we get a door-to-door. In that case, we simply say that we're not interested and ask them to have a great day. B) when religious beliefs are suppressing someone else's rights (I have examples but don't want this to turn ugly) or c) when groups are trying to legislate their religious beliefs on the rest of us (again, I have examples but it's probably too early to let this get political). In those last two instances, we're active in supporting certain groups in their quest for equal rights, and we vote in a way that ensures our rights aren't changed based on a candidate's religious beliefs. Other than that, religion is truly a non-issue for us. Sort of like, we don't live on Jupiter so I'm not checking up on how that Big Red Spot is doing day to day and I'm not telling people to switch off the weather channel and listen to me on what's up on Jupiter, kwim?

Guest inoubliable

Hi! *waves*

I'm not around too much anymore, but I want to pop in. I'm feeling pretty lonely these days, and wishing I had a "non-faith" family--or any social group, really, so this might be lovely.

My husband and I are atheist. He grew up R.C. and was an altar boy, and the 8th of 9 children.He left R.C. in his teens, was an atheist, but was "Born again" when he was in his late 20s I'm from a non-Christian family but became an fervent Evangelical in my teens. We met as missionaries and continued leading Bible studies, worship, and ministry for several years. We did a reevaluation of faith and reason when our children were young and involved in AWANA, Sunday School, etc. We're now atheists. We had to change our entire lives and jobs as a result. There was no great tragedy or life-change that persuaded us that religions were untrue--it was just considering Christianity through the same critical lens through which we analyzed all other religions. We were in a very heavily Christian environment, so the "exit" from our entire community was rather . . . sad.

Our children don't appear to have any interest or desire for a god, and rarely ask about faith, but we answer all of their questions plainly when they do ask.

Anyway, I'm glad there's a group here for non-believers, and where we can share our stories, and hopes, and life struggles with one another without having extraneous religious expectations.

Cheers!

Good to see you, Ipsey! Hope you can pop in more often. :)

Could we put a list of secular resources on the 1st page? I know I'm having a tough time choosing science. What does everyone use for history? We are using SL and so far enjoying it. We just take out the missionary stories and don't do the bible portion. Wouldn't it be awesome if SWB came out with a history curriculum in a box for older kids? :)

Hi! *waves*

Good to "see" you, Ipsey!

There was no great tragedy or life-change that persuaded us that religions were untrue--it was just considering Christianity through the same critical lens through which we analyzed all other religions.

This pretty much describes us. We weren't very involved with people in our church though, and our friends beliefs are varied, so there wasn't any sadness. It was just...over.

Religion is a non-issue for us. B) when religious beliefs are suppressing someone else's rights (I have examples but don't want this to turn ugly) or c) when groups are trying to legislate their religious beliefs on the rest of us (again, I have examples but it's probably too early to let this get political). In those last two instances, we're active in supporting certain groups in their quest for equal rights, and we vote in a way that ensures our rights aren't changed based on a candidate's religious beliefs. Other than that, religion is truly a non-issue for us. Sort of like, we don't live on Jupiter so I'm not checking up on how that Big Red Spot is doing day to day and I'm not telling people to switch off the weather channel and listen to me on what's up on Jupiter, kwim?

Yes, I do kwym. :001_smile: The only time I turn into an "angry atheist" is when rights (mine or anyone's) are trampled on by religious people. Other than that, I don't care what someone believes.

Guest inoubliable

We use SOTW and History of US for history. I've yet to find a science I like.

We started with SOTW but had to omit several chapters in the first volume simply because they weren't relevant for us. We tried the second volume this year and it didn't work for us. We go to that if we want a little something extra, but we mostly use it as a way to keep our timeline straight and we do our reading from Human Odyssey. We use documentaries and field trips and library books for more information.

Science has been Mr. Q for my elementary kiddos and Joy Hakim's new science books for my middle schooler. I'm not sure what to do for high school.

DH and I were both raised RC. I'm pretty lucky in that I don't get too much pressure from either side. My ILs occasionally ask about when our kids will be baptized (they ask DH, not me), and they sometimes give the kids religious books or things, but it's not a big deal. I don't discuss religion with them though, so they don't really know where I stand. If they ever asked me directly, I'd let them know that I'm an atheist. I think they'd rather try to stay in denial though, and it's easier for me to just not say anything.

Anyway, my kids are nonbelievers at this point too. We talk about respecting the views of others, etc...., but I also stress to them that it's important that others respect their views as well. I want them to feel secure in whatever they choose to believe and not have to feel so torn for so many years like I was. I've known since I was fairly young that I didn't buy into religion, but the process to fully accept that within myself was difficult for me. It's hard to explain, but I know what it is that I want to do with my own kids to avoid it.

As for middle school history, we are liking the K12 Human Odyssey books (we're in the 1st one). I bought mine used for a few dollars.

Anyway, hello everyone. :seeya:

Guest inoubliable

Anyone see this article yet?

http://ireport.cnn.com/docs/DOC-910282

"CNN PRODUCER NOTE TXBlue08, a mother of two teenagers in Texas, blogs aboutraising her children without religion. She said she shared this essay on CNN iReport because 'I just felt there is not a voice out there for women/moms like me. I think people misunderstand or are fearful of people who donĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t believe in God.' What are your thoughts on this iReport? Share your written response via our Sound Off assignment."

Anyone see this article yet?

http://ireport.cnn.com/docs/DOC-910282

"CNN PRODUCER NOTE TXBlue08, a mother of two teenagers in Texas, blogs aboutraising her children without religion. She said she shared this essay on CNN iReport because 'I just felt there is not a voice out there for women/moms like me. I think people misunderstand or are fearful of people who donĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t believe in God.' What are your thoughts on this iReport? Share your written response via our Sound Off assignment."

I was JUST coming here to post this, I swear. LOL I saw it on one of my friends' facebook.

Guest inoubliable

I was JUST coming here to post this, I swear. LOL I saw it on one of my friends' facebook.

Heh. I thought it was a well written piece and pretty much sums up what most non-religious parents feel, I think. I really connected with her last two reasons. Those points came up in our house a few times after the mass shooting last month.

Any other thoughts?

I agree with most of what she said. She said a lot of things I probably wouldn't have the guts to say because I am always worried about offending someone. She makes a lot of good points and things I have always thought about as well. I can't wrap my head around a lot of the things that are explained as just part of god's plan/free will and she seems to address that.

"God is a bad parent and role model."

This I completely agree with. My thoughts are that peoples' minds are constantly evolving. If you look at history you'll see that religion is also evolving and their perception of God does too. I think we've come to a point where our minds, ethics, and morals have simply evolved too much to accept the perception of the God in the bible.

How can we worship a God who has less ethics than us humans who are full of sin and deserving of eternal punishment? That's confusing to me.

Did you notice the article keeps getting flagged?

Heh. I thought it was a well written piece and pretty much sums up what most non-religious parents feel, I think. I really connected with her last two reasons. Those points came up in our house a few times after the mass shooting last month.

Any other thoughts?

Guest inoubliable

"God is a bad parent and role model."

This I completely agree with. My thoughts are that peoples' minds are constantly evolving. If you look at history you'll see that religion is also evolving and their perception of God does too. I think we've come to a point where our minds, ethics, and morals have simply evolved too much to accept the perception of the God in the bible.

How can we worship a God who has less ethics than us humans who are full of sin and deserving of eternal punishment? That's confusing to me.

Did you notice the article keeps getting flagged?

I agree with you on all points!

Yes, I saw that. There is a place you can click on to let CNN know that the piece is appropriate and should stay. I clicked. CNN has announced that the article doesn't violate any of their TOS and so will remain. I hope that it does.

Thanks for this thread. :)

Dh was raised RC. I was raised Methodist. Neither stuck to either of us. ;)

Dh is a freethinker who refuses to label himself anything anymore. He still leans pagan, but doesn't identify with that as closely as he used to. He is one of those on a perpetual path.

I am a non-deist Witch. I'm not Wiccan. I don't believe in any gods/deities and I'm quite firm on that. I believe spirituality and religion are not at all the same thing. I believe that religion is actually counterproductive to spirituality. I try not to influence our son in this regard. I'm not into indoctrinating kids. He sometimes says he believes in a higher power, but then will say he doesn't believe that in a literal sense. He does think upon the issue, and I feel that is a good thing for him to ponder his spirituality on his own.

I have issues with certain religious family IRL, but setting firm boundaries helps that a lot. I'm not an angry atheist type. Non-religious people piss me off at rates nearly equally to religious people. I do try to be respectful of others' right to believe whatever they want to believe, but I don't pretend or placate them just to "get along." Luckily, I am perfectly capable of not verbalizing my inner dialogue during those moments.

As far as community goes... I have a small group of Pagan friends and families in the area. We get together for some Sabbaths to socialize, share and just be ourselves. I am pretty active with the Witch community in my province as well. I have taken in Witchcraft students in the past and am getting ready to have another one in the Spring.

Welcome to the group! My DH and I are planning a move out to Portland in the very near future - from all we've heard, we think we'll fit in very nicely there, too.

You'll have to stay in touch! We are still very new here, and finding our way around..it will be nice to have a friend actually newer to the area. Plus we have guinea pigs and fish and three kids too (reading your sig :cheers2: )

Guest inoubliable

Thanks for this thread. :) Welcome aboard! I was hoping to see you here!

I am a non-deist Witch. I'm not Wiccan. I don't believe in any gods/deities and I'm quite firm on that. I believe spirituality and religion are not at all the same thing. I believe that religion is actually counterproductive to spirituality. I try not to influence our son in this regard. I'm not into indoctrinating kids. He sometimes says he believes in a higher power, but then will say he doesn't believe that in a literal sense. He does think upon the issue, and I feel that is a good thing for him to ponder his spirituality on his own. I like this. I'd like to know more about your thoughts on spirituality. I have some thoughts on this as well and I'd like to know what other irreligious think on this. I agree that it's a good thing for kids to ponder these things and ask questions.

As far as community goes... I have a small group of Pagan friends and families in the area. We get together for some Sabbaths to socialize, share and just be ourselves. I am pretty active with the Witch community in my province as well. I have taken in Witchcraft students in the past and am getting ready to have another one in the Spring. So nice that you've found a community local to you!

I also wanted to ask if you had any recommendations for books on Paganism or Witchcraft that a teenager would find informative? My oldest kiddo is asking a lot of questions about both those and Buddhism. I give him what answers I have on what I believe/don't believe, but I can't obviously give him much information from "the inside".

Guest inoubliable

You'll have to stay in touch! We are still very new here, and finding our way around..it will be nice to have a friend actually newer to the area. Plus we have guinea pigs and fish and three kids too (reading your sig :cheers2: )

Definitely!!

I grew up in a loosely jewish family and dh grew up catholic in french-canada - but his memory of the church is young priests driving around in sports cars with pretty married women . . . .

Religion is really just not an issue for me. i go sometimes to a UU chuch - they are totally welcoming to athiests, and god is sometimes mentioned in sermons but jesus, almost never. I dont seek out other 'non-religious' people, i just seek out people who dont seem to feel the need to talk about religion much. of course, i'm also fairly antisocial

I'm a regular on the secular forum. that forum has a whole section listing secular curriculum - it seems a shame not to link that resource? I'm sure people can get banned if they go there for the sole purpose of flaming?

Thanks for this thread. :)

I am a non-deist Witch. I'm not Wiccan. I don't believe in any gods/deities and I'm quite firm on that. I believe spirituality and religion are not at all the same thing. I believe that religion is actually counterproductive to spirituality. I try not to influence our son in this regard. I'm not into indoctrinating kids. He sometimes says he believes in a higher power, but then will say he doesn't believe that in a literal sense. He does think upon the issue, and I feel that is a good thing for him to ponder his spirituality on his own.

I am very much like this but Buddhist instead. I am a Zen Buddhist, so there is no need for any of the deity or superstitious beliefs in this sect, in fact they are often looked down upon by other practitioners as illusions from the ego. My flavor of Zen also doesn't go for literal reincarnation. To simplify it (a lot) the basic idea is we reincarnate ourselves many times in our one life, and we can achieve an optimum -- for lack of a better word -- incarnation in this life by meditating and dropping all illusions, while also working to alleviate suffering in the world as best we are able.

Growing up (in Texas, of all places!) I was never really exposed to religion. If people I knew were religious, they kept it to themselves. As an adult, I have formed some very strong opinions. My problems aren't with religion, per se, but more when superstition and belief override sense and truth to the detriment of the whole.

We were studying Galileo yesterday, and there was a quote in the book from Galileo along the lines of if the philosophers and religious leaders of the past knew what we know now, then these things would have been written as truth in the bible and my trial wouldn't be happening. DS12 asked if the bible is ever rewritten to take into account modern findings. When I told him no, not really, he shook his head and said, "Well, that explains a lot. I think I understand why some people act like they do better now."

We use StoW (we're on volume one) for history. For chapters that tell religious stories in a way that seems like fact, I make sure to point out what it really is - a story that some people believe, but I (not we) do not.

I am wondering are there chapters like that in Volumes 2, 3, and 4?

Dd takes a tumbling class that is actually a really good program IMO, BUT during class the teacher quotes the Bible and tells the kids what God wants from them. I'm okay with the lessons she's getting (hard work, perseverance, kindness, etc.), but I don't like the methods. So after class, I always talk with Dd about it. Reinforcing the good parts of the lessons, but giving different reasons for the values than 'because it says so in the Bible.' So far, I'm okay with all this because a.) it's got a high teacher to student ratio with good quality instruction b.) our homeschool charter school helps pay for it c.) it's close to my parents' house, so they can watch Ds and I can take dd to class.

Guest inoubliable

I am wondering are there chapters like that in Volumes 2, 3, and 4?

I can say that we tread carefully with the chapter in Vol 2 about the Crusades. We took our time and did a lot of research and watched documentaries and looked at the time period from every perspective we could. All of that took us quite outside of the chapter written in SOTW.

I am very much like this but Buddhist instead. I am a Zen Buddhist, so there is no need for any of the deity or superstitious beliefs in this sect, in fact they are often looked down upon by other practitioners as illusions from the ego. My flavor of Zen also doesn't go for literal reincarnation. To simplify it (a lot) the basic idea is we reincarnate ourselves many times in our one life, and we can achieve an optimum -- for lack of a better word -- incarnation in this life by meditating and dropping all illusions, while also working to alleviate suffering in the world as best we are able.

I would love to learn more about Zen Buddhism. I am very interested in Buddhism but never could get past the deities and reincarnation. It's not that I don't believe it's possible, I could just never be able to claim I had faith it was true. What is a good book to start with? I googled and we actually have a Zen Center here.

Guest inoubliable

I would love to learn more about Zen Buddhism. I am very interested in Buddhism but never could get past the deities and reincarnation. It's not that I don't believe it's possible, I could just never be able to claim I had faith it was true. What is a good book to start with? I googled and we actually have a Zen Center here.

This is very much us. I'd like to know more as well.

I looked into a lot of other religions and spiritual beliefs when I was deconverting, especially various types of Paganism and Buddhism, but in the end none resonated with me. I meditate, which is about as spiritual as I get. Ds says he believes we are all connected to each other as well as to other living things and the earth. I can get on board with that, but an eco-system kind of way.

Is anyone else not bothered by not believing? Not having a spiritual community? I'm not one of those who would say "I wish I could believe". I don't wish it. In fact I feel so much better about not believing in anything than I ever imagined I would.

We are atheist/agnostic. DH likes Buddhism and says it helps him with difficult situations, but he doesn't consider it a religion or believe in reincarnation or any of that. I like some of the ideas in some prechristian European paganism.

Our families are aware in general of our lack of religion. DH was raised by his preacher grandfather and I don't think his parents really believe that he is not a Christian, but they are okay with Buddhism. He lost his faith going to a Christian college. I have been agnostic or atheist since I was 14 and I was pretty vocal about it as a teen. My parents don't like it, but they raised atheist children.

I looked into a lot of other religions and spiritual beliefs when I was deconverting, especially various types of Paganism and Buddhism, but in the end none resonated with me. I meditate, which is about as spiritual as I get. Ds says he believes we are all connected to each other as well as to other living things and the earth. I can get on board with that, but an eco-system kind of way.

Is anyone else not bothered by not believing? Not having a spiritual community? I'm not one of those who would say "I wish I could believe". I don't wish it. In fact I feel so much better about not believing in anything than I ever imagined I would.

This is quite a bit like me. I looked into Buddhism, very vaguely when I was deconverting. My grandparents were Asian and Buddhist, so I was rather drawn. There is also a temple in my area. There's a family Dharma class on certain Saturdays. I'm thinking about looking into that. I'm also drawn to the eco and ritual ideas of Paganism and Witchcraft, just the. . . aspect of ritual, I guess. Though as an Evangelical "traditions" were very much poo-poo'ed. Anyway, I like the idea of the "psychodrama" (I hope this isn't perjorative--I certainly don't mean it that way) by candles and incense and ritual, but I find that I'm not actually disciplined enough to ever do it (beyond once or twice, waving incense over my children as a blessing one day before school). I'm also afraid I'll start applying actual power to it. To me, the rituals would be a sort of a placebo--setting an intention (completely outside of my power) and lighting a candle might make me feel better, but at the same time, since I don't feel it has any actual power, I worry that I will become superstitious about it.

Does this make any sense?

If you're reading, Audrey, I hope I'm not being offensive. I'm glad you've found a way that's good for you!

But, I also miss having a community. There are some very, very liberal Churches (scarcely "Christian" to my previous way of thinking), and I find I can't even tolerate worship there. Bibles, praying to an all powerful male deity, even Jesus all turn my stomach. I sort of wish I could; they do some wonderful things. I'd like to find a non-religious community that celebrates the seasons, and serves and enjoys nature. . . . I dunnoh.

Excuse my vent.

I, too, am glad I don't believe anymore. Too darned much cognitive dissonance. It was a nightmare. If I just "had faith" and believed--just, it was not me, and I couldn't respect myself or even recognize myself. I'll believe if it's backed with reality, not faith. A person has faith in something because they want to believe it, or they need to believe it, I think. That's the only reason a person would believe something they have no evidence for or something that actually contradicts other things they do know.

I'm glad to not live like that any more. It was not healthy for me. I'm a better, happier person now.

It doesn't bother me. I think that there are some places where social life revolves around churches, which would make my life difficult. That is not the case here, so I don't feel any lack.

Laura

I'm not bothered. I don't think I ever really did believe. It was very freeing to finally be able to admit that to myself and to be able to put aside the pretense of belief just to make others happy.

I truly have no need, desire or use for gods, or other imaginary constructs. (I realize some of you will look at that and say that sounds weird coming from a Witch, but Witchcraft isn't Harry Potter. ;) ) I find it ridiculous to seek solace in such things when there are so many REAL things in which one can find joy, peace, comfort and spiritual inspiration.

I also wanted to ask if you had any recommendations for books on Paganism or Witchcraft that a teenager would find informative? My oldest kiddo is asking a lot of questions about both those and Buddhism. I give him what answers I have on what I believe/don't believe, but I can't obviously give him much information from "the inside".

This is a good place to begin with Paganism. It has study questions to help guide conversation. :)

http://www.amazon.com/Paganism-Introduction-Earth-Centered-Religions/dp/0738702226

And for anyone wanting to explore the role of ritual and myth in life: http://www.amazon.com/Spiritual-Hunger-Integrating-Ritual-Daily/dp/1844095606

(Sounds like you'd find it a fun read, Ipsey.)

This is a good place to begin with Paganism. It has study questions to help guide conversation. :)

http://www.amazon.co...s/dp/0738702226

And for anyone wanting to explore the role of ritual and myth in life: http://www.amazon.co...y/dp/1844095606

Ooh, that does look neat. I'm going to look into that. Thanks, Rosie.

And for anyone wanting to explore the role of ritual and myth in life: http://www.amazon.co...y/dp/1844095606

Rosie's 1st link it what I'd recommend, too. After that, if your teen is still interested in exploring, there are many different authors out there of the Wiccan path (a mere few on Witchcraft alone). The only one I would say to avoid is Silver Ravenwolf. She panders to the teen-witch-wannabes and is just an awful example of Wicca and Witchcraft. I call them the how-not-to-be-Wiccan series.

Guest inoubliable

I'm getting into looking more into Paganism and Buddhism at my kid's request. I don't think he's feeling a "pull" in that direction. I think what he's after is some sort of "community". If that makes sense. He feels very much an outsider when most every other homeschooler we know IRL is being homeschooled *because* of their religious beliefs. I meditate during yoga in the morning, which is about as spiritual as I get, in a way that usually manifests itself into to-do lists and goals and deep breathing to feel "open" for lack of a better term. I think that we're all connected - all living things and the earth - in an ecosystem sort of way. I do think that humans are really nothing more than an itty bitty part of the ecosystem and are no more important than anything else.

I'm not bothered at all by not believing. I like having like-minded people to talk to about some things that would be awkward to talk about with religious people. I am bothered that there isn't a large or more official community for people like us to be a part of.

Guest inoubliable

Thanks, Rosie! I'll look into both of those.

Guest inoubliable

Rosie's 1st link it what I'd recommend, too. After that, if your teen is still interested in exploring, there are many different authors out there of the Wiccan path. The only one I would say to avoid is Silver Ravenwolf. She panders to the teen-witch-wannabes and is just an awful example of Wicca and Witchcraft. I call them the how-not-to-be-Wiccan series.

Thank you! Yes, I definitely want to stay away from anything like that..

Guest inoubliable

If you want further info on non-Wiccan pagans, blogs seem to be the best sources of info, as far as I can tell.

Thanks for looking into that. I find that it's very difficult to get non-trendy information on non-mainstream religions in this country. I have friends abroad who don't seem to have that problem. It makes it difficult to answer kids' questions, or even research for myself.

What's tricky about paganism is it is an umbrella term for a whole range of beliefs and practices. There are several people on this thread who don't identify as pagans, but hold beliefs that any pagan would accept as pagan. There's really not a lot that all pagans agree on so if your kids are looking for simple, clear cut answers, they are probably not out there to find.

Guest inoubliable

What's tricky about paganism is it is an umbrella term for a whole range of beliefs and practices. There are several people on this thread who don't identify as pagans, but hold beliefs that any pagan would accept as pagan. There's really not a lot that all pagans agree on so if your kids are looking for simple, clear cut answers, they are probably not out there to find.

Oh, aye. That's what we're finding. In the end, I don't think this search for answers is going to be a huge deal. I think my oldest is just interested in what other people believe and why. I can help him find general information on the what, but I can't at all help with the why. Eventually, I think he'll move on to another interest.

I guess the other thing is that as people group together, trends are formed. You can't run an event without some sort of agreed on idea on how you do things. So for pagans, there can be quite a divide between public and private or solitary and community. That's why blogs are helpful. Lot of people journal their progression along their path and that's where you'll find the solitary types. But perhaps it is more complicated in the Southern Hemisphere.

Anyway, enough on that.

I really enjoy my daily Taoist reading. I have 365 Tao

http://www.amazon.com/365-Tao-Meditations-Ming-Dao-Deng/dp/0062502239/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1358389079&sr=8-2&keywords=365+tao

on my nightstand. It's not a scholarly Taoist text, but it does help me think about something more profound than what I can serve up for supper or where I put Geezle's spelling book.

Guest inoubliable

I really enjoy my daily Taoist reading. I have 365 Tao

http://www.amazon.co...eywords=365 tao

on my nightstand. It's not a scholarly Taoist text, but it does help me think about something more profound than what I can serve up for supper or where I put Geezle's spelling book.

Thanks for sharing!

DH and I fall in probably under the paganism umbrella. We live in the Bible belt and all anyone really knows about our beliefs is that we aren't Christian. My mom and I have never really talked about my beliefs. I questioned too much as a kid so she just doesn't go there. I don't think she wants to know. The ILs know we aren't Christian and have attempted to shove their beliefs on our kids. I try to tell myself they just care and want the best, but their attempts have left my kids upset and given them bad dreams.

I am curious about those of you who have used MBtP. I almost went for it this year just to have everything planned out. Like others here, I would love a secular SL. Do you think it is rigorous enough? Do you feel the need to supplement it a lot? I'd stay with MUS for math as it works best for my girls.

I don't believe in any religion at all but I find it hard to come to the final statement of "I don't believe in God". I find absolutely no proof for an existence at all; none, but that "last step" is really hard for me to say. :) I don't believe; I just don't want to say it. ;) My ramblings. Thank you for letting me put it all out here like this. :) I never really get to other than tons of great, honest conversations with my husband.

I had a hard time until I read Richard Dawkins, Sam Harris, and Dan Barker. Then I felt it was okay to fully embrace what I knew was true.

Speaking of Dan Barker has anyone read his books for kids?