Menu

Winston Grammar is awesome!!

Izzy

Good to hear. I always like to keep new programs in mind !

You probably mean that it's new to you knowing about it...because it certainly isn't a new program. :001_smile: Years ago....I mean probably 15 years ago a homeschooling friend recommended Winston. It was always in the back of my mind. Finally I got it, but then I decided not to use it with my dd (not sure what the reason was)...but I kept it...collecting dust on a shelf. A few months ago I blew the dust off and started it with my ds. It's going well. I got the supplemental workbook so that we have basically double the amount of sentences to do each lesson. I hope to finish this with him and have him use Winston Advanced and then possibly even Winston Word Works.

ETA: I just double checked this, because I was uncertain...Word Works is before Advanced. So, we'll do both. Apparently it takes like 4 years to go through all 3 of these books (Advanced taking 2 years)? Interesting.

I liked using Winston Grammar with my kids and will use again in a year or two with my younger son. We used the basic book last year with the supplemetal book also. We have the Winston Works book but haven't started it yet. The Winston Grammar basic and supplemental book have 30 lessons with 10-14 sentences, pretest/post test and 4 quizzes. We did 4 sentences every day to due a lesson a week. The supplemental book is not necessary for all kids, my daughter didn't need the extra pratice but my son needed all the extra sentences he could.

Do you mind sharing what your week looks like with this program? There aren't any samples so its harder to see how it works.

I wasn't sure if this question was geared toward me or the PP.

We do Grammar 4 days a week, one lesson a week. An ideal week goes like this:

Monday: Teach lesson. Practice sample sentences in the TM using the colored parts of speech card. DD does first 3 sentences of the lesson using the cards to help as needed. I check to make sure she has it. Tues-Thurs she does 3-4 sentences a day depending how many there are in that lesson, reviewing the lesson as needed. Again I check her sentences each day.

confession - I don't always check her work like I should. She usually does grammar first because it is easy for her with the visuals and she likes it.

You probably mean that it's new to you knowing about it...because it certainly isn't a new program. :001_smile: Years ago....I mean probably 15 years ago a homeschooling friend recommended Winston. It was always in the back of my mind. Finally I got it, but then I decided not to use it with my dd (not sure what the reason was)...but I kept it...collecting dust on a shelf. A few months ago I blew the dust off and started it with my ds. It's going well. I got the supplemental workbook so that we have basically double the amount of sentences to do each lesson. I hope to finish this with him and have him use Winston Advanced and then possibly even Winston Word Works.

ETA: I just double checked this, because I was uncertain...Word Works is before Advanced. So, we'll do both. Apparently it takes like 4 years to go through all 3 of these books (Advanced taking 2 years)? Interesting.

Haha. Yes, that is what I meant.

Sorry, I didn't see this sooner. Thank you for your insight as well.

• 2 weeks later...

How does Winston Grammar work? I once looked on website and ended up feeling very confused. You do what with the cards and so forth? It looks interesting, and I too have a dyslexic for whom grammar is not a slam dunk, and it working for PP is thus promising. But I don't get what Winston is really. ?????

Winston Grammar does not teach puncruation (at least I have not gotten to it if it does). You introduce a part of speech. Each part of speech has a different colored card plus black cards to represent the parts of Speech that you have not covered yet.

for example you start with nouns. Nouns are a white card with the definition of a noun on it. You have a sample sentence. "The train is on the track". The student puts down a black card for "The" because articles have not been covered yet, a white card for "train", 3 black cards dor "is on the" and a white card for "track".

You have the student do 3 of the sentences for lesson 1 using the cards and then underlining the nouns in the sentence, next day review and have them do 3 more sentences..every day until the lesson is done.

The next week you do lesson two. It introduces a red card for articles. You do a sample sentence using white for nouns, red for articles and black for the rest, again only doing a few sentences per day, underlining the nouns and putting a check mark above the articles and so on and so forth.

Clear as mud? HTH

I wasn't sure if this question was geared toward me or the PP.

We do Grammar 4 days a week, one lesson a week. An ideal week goes like this:

Monday: Teach lesson. Practice sample sentences in the TM using the colored parts of speech card. DD does first 3 sentences of the lesson using the cards to help as needed. I check to make sure she has it. Tues-Thurs she does 3-4 sentences a day depending how many there are in that lesson, reviewing the lesson as needed. Again I check her sentences each day.

confession - I don't always check her work like I should. She usually does grammar first because it is easy for her with the visuals and she likes it.

I'll share that we do Winston Grammar differently here. I'm using the Basic program with three of my children, 8th, 6th and 6th. I follow the lead of my child with dyslexia and the others go at whatever pace he sets. Some weeks we get through one lesson, some weeks we may get through two, and some weeks we repeat the previous week's lesson. Once I've taught a lesson, I have them go through the sentences within the next day or two. I make them use their cards for every sentence. We check their work together before we move onto the next lesson. How they do depends on if we move onto the next lesson or not. I bought the supplemental workbook and pull it out for extra practice if needed for more practice sentences, otherwise we just move to the next exercise in the workbook.

It would be neater, easier and more predictable if we just went through one lesson a week, but that's not how life works here. At the rate we're going, I expect we'll be through it under sixth months of schooling; apparently, we covered 2 lessons a week more often than we needed two weeks per lesson.

My son is older...and barely tolerates doing any school work...so I show him a sentence with the cards, and I have him do at least one sentence with the cards himself (so he can at least show me that he gets it)...I don't make him do the other sentences with the cards. I got the supplemental workbook, because I don't think 3 sentences a day are enough. We do 6.