Menu

I have to lose weight/get healthy - looking for accountability

Just Kate

I am at my highest weight ever (other than pregnancy) and let's face it...I'm not getting any younger. I have attempted to lose weight in the past, but after a while I just go back to my old ways. My husband is out of town way more than he's home these days so it's just me and the kids at home. Because there is no one there asking me why I'm eating a second helping or why I had a plate of cookies after the kids went to bed, I feel like I need someone - an accountability partner or some kind of group - to help me stay on track and stick to my plan.

Here's some info about me --

I would like to lose 35 lbs. I *think* I do best with low carb and I am also interested in paleo. I am not a super-fancy cook and I have picky kids, so that makes things a bit tough. But I am willing to learn.

I have joined groups on Sparkpeople and the like in the past, but they have always been so big that no one would ever notice if a team member dropped out. My IRL friends aren't looking to make changes, so there is really no one for me to talk to there. So I thought I would check with my Hive friends.

Anyone interested? :D

:seeya: I've got a lot to lose (100+). I'm starting small. I'm going to the Y every morning to exercise before dh goes to work. Doing that helps me to make better food choices, though I'm not tracking what I eat yet, except for writing down what I've eaten (no calorie counting or anything). I'd be happy to be of help any way I can. :)

I have just started working on this goal again. I am making small changes one at a time. Last week I got a fitbit to just become more aware of my eating and activity levels. So far I really like it. I am looking to lose 40lbs. I was at this weight four years ago. I had been very successful using weight watchers but with four prolonged, stressful foster adoptions and my own emotional eating, I am at my highest weight ever. All four of our kids have been adopted, our family is stable, for now, and I need to get back to work on this. I have a membership at Anytime Fitness and plan to start working out again on Feb 1.

:seeya: I've got a lot to lose (100+). I'm starting small. I'm going to the Y every morning to exercise before dh goes to work. Doing that helps me to make better food choices, though I'm not tracking what I eat yet, except for writing down what I've eaten (no calorie counting or anything). I'd be happy to be of help any way I can. :)

That's a great plan. I did well losing weight a few years ago. We were living with my parents (long story!) and I got up every morning and ran. I had never ran before and found that I loved it. I lost 15lbs that summer and felt great. I think exercising in the morning made a big difference for how I spent the rest of the day.

I have just started working on this goal again. I am making small changes one at a time. Last week I got a fitbit to just become more aware of my eating and activity levels. So far I really like it. I am looking to lose 40lbs. I was at this weight four years ago. I had been very successful using weight watchers but with four prolonged, stressful foster adoptions and my own emotional eating, I am at my highest weight ever. All four of our kids have been adopted, our family is stable, for now, and I need to get back to work on this. I have a membership at Anytime Fitness and plan to start working out again on Feb 1.

Fitbit??? Off to google...

I wish I could go to a gym, but with my husband out of town, it just doesn't work.

Not sure if either of you are interested in some type of accountability. I am thinking regular emails or texts or something to help keep one another on track. Or if anyone else is interested, let me know! :D

You can join us on the exercise thread each week to stay motivated for working out.

Thanks, but right now I'm not even working out. Since my dh is gone so much, I can't even figure out when to work out (although I know I need to). My plan is to start with my eating habits and once I get that under control I will try to put together an exercise routine. So maybe eventually I can join you!

I like this idea.

What kind of accountability did you have in mind?

I am already imagining myself texting: HALP! Two blueberry muffins are left over, luring me towards them! Please talk me through it!

You could even skype during exercise videos...ok is that too weird? I did a few days of the 30 day shred and just, ugh, didn't stick with it. I am trying to convince myself to join a zumba group at the rec center starting in Feb.

I have never texted before...but we recently changed our phone plan to include unlimited texting, so I need to figure out how to use it. I think we need to have it activated since we previously had it to block all incoming texts (we kept getting charged for random texts).

I would love to help. I lost 90 pounds in 2012, and hope to finish up the rest this year. I had to nail diet and exercise (and the lovely hormone issue as I just turned 49.) I still have 5 kids homeschooling. My youngest just turned 5, so I guess that I only have 13 years until I retire.

I am more than happy to help. I also have a very active group of ladies on the TeamBeachbody boards in a forum for the support of those trying to lose 100 pounds. If you are new to Beachbody, you can get a free account through www.mommyx8.com (link to join.) I shoo the males away from that thread as I was never quite interested in what a skinny fit guy had to tell me. (Sad, I know. LOL) And I typically connect through Facebook. So if you post that you just ate a dozen donuts, you will most definitely hear from me.

Kim

MommyX8

You can join us on the exercise thread each week to stay motivated for working out.

This is what I started doing. I kind of just jumped right in, and then got sick the next week. But it smaller group accountability, I like that.

Thanks, but right now I'm not even working out. Since my dh is gone so much, I can't even figure out when to work out (although I know I need to). My plan is to start with my eating habits and once I get that under control I will try to put together an exercise routine. So maybe eventually I can join you!

When you're ready, come on over. You don't have to go big to post. I've worked out a lot in the past, but I can't do much outside in the winter and had slacked off for several months. My first week I posted about 10 minutes of yoga or stretching per day. Even that small bit can make a difference. When I'm gearing back up to regular workouts, I usually start that small. I sometimes start with 5-10 minutes of stretching before bed. I've read some studies where they show it's perfectly acceptable to break up your workouts during the day. You don't have to do 30-45 minutes of continuous workout for it to count.

You could join the well trained losers thread.

I feel you. I have been struggling with my weight for the past 2 years and haven't been successful with weight loss either. I for medical reasons should lose at least 25 pounds, 50 to be in a healthy weight range, 76 to be where I was pre-babies :)

I just started reading Crave. I feel like my problem is emotional because I know what to do to lose weight; I just don't do it :(

I like this idea.

What kind of accountability did you have in mind?

I am already imagining myself texting: HALP! Two blueberry muffins are left over, luring me towards them! Please talk me through it!

You could even skype during exercise videos...ok is that too weird? I did a few days of the 30 day shred and just, ugh, didn't stick with it. I am trying to convince myself to join a zumba group at the rec center starting in Feb.

I have never texted before...but we recently changed our phone plan to include unlimited texting, so I need to figure out how to use it. I think we need to have it activated since we previously had it to block all incoming texts (we kept getting charged for random texts).

Maybe just a Social Group here (if they ever come back), Facebook, texting, email, whatever...just a place where we could check in regularly (daily?) and talk about what we're doing, struggles, etc. I love the idea of texting someone when I need help staying away from foods (happens too often for me!).

I have also tried the 30 Day Shred and while I liked it, I just had trouble sticking to it. I generally tend to try to do too much at once, so this time I am promising myself to get my eating somewhat under control first before I tackle exercise.

I would love to help. I lost 90 pounds in 2012, and hope to finish up the rest this year. I had to nail diet and exercise (and the lovely hormone issue as I just turned 49.) I still have 5 kids homeschooling. My youngest just turned 5, so I guess that I only have 13 years until I retire.

I am more than happy to help. I also have a very active group of ladies on the TeamBeachbody boards in a forum for the support of those trying to lose 100 pounds. If you are new to Beachbody, you can get a free account through www.mommyx8.com (link to join.) I shoo the males away from that thread as I was never quite interested in what a skinny fit guy had to tell me. (Sad, I know. LOL) And I typically connect through Facebook. So if you post that you just ate a dozen donuts, you will most definitely hear from me.

Kim

MommyX8

I have heard great things about Beach Body and I might look at some of the videos/support when I reach that point. Congrats to you on losing 90 lbs last year! What an accomplishment!!! Do you mind sharing how you did this? I would certainly love the inspiration. And as we get started I would love to have you along for the ride. :)

This is what I started doing. I kind of just jumped right in, and then got sick the next week. But it smaller group accountability, I like that.

When you're ready, come on over. You don't have to go big to post. I've worked out a lot in the past, but I can't do much outside in the winter and had slacked off for several months. My first week I posted about 10 minutes of yoga or stretching per day. Even that small bit can make a difference. When I'm gearing back up to regular workouts, I usually start that small. I sometimes start with 5-10 minutes of stretching before bed. I've read some studies where they show it's perfectly acceptable to break up your workouts during the day. You don't have to do 30-45 minutes of continuous workout for it to count.

Thanks! Maybe I will do this. :)

I feel you. I have been struggling with my weight for the past 2 years and haven't been successful with weight loss either. I for medical reasons should lose at least 25 pounds, 50 to be in a healthy weight range, 76 to be where I was pre-babies :)

I just started reading Crave. I feel like my problem is emotional because I know what to do to lose weight; I just don't do it :(

Hmmm...did I know that there was a Well Trained Losers thread??? I don't think I did. Maybe I will check it out.

I know my eating is emotional - there is no doubt about that. I have heard about the book Crave. Let me know what you think.

I just purchased but haven't yet read Feeding the Hungry Heart regarding emotional eating. I will check out Crave. I go to Anytime Fitness (open 24 hrs by access key) because we are a two career hs family. We are rarely home together except middle of night. It is nice to go to the gym then as I am almost always alone there, no one around to make me feel self-conscious. Also, no food joints open when I drive home ;-)

Kate (and other members): are you interested in trying to start the New Atkins induction diet? This was the most effective way for me to lose weight, but I have not stuck to it and gained everything back now. ;( I want to get it from the library again and give it another try. We could start a thread and try to keep it updated every day for feedback and support.

Hmmm...did I know that there was a Well Trained Losers thread??? I don't think I did. Maybe I will check it out.

I know my eating is emotional - there is no doubt about that. I have heard about the book Crave. Let me know what you think.

You can join well trained losers on Facebook.

Private message me and we can text each other as accountability partners if you want :). We have similar goals. I would like to lose ultimately 75 pounds, but it's such a long term goal that I need some motivation on the way.

Yes. Little snippets of motion add up so don't think you have to sweat for a full 30 min. Break it up into 10/10/10.

Morning walk with the kids. Afternoon walk. Evening walk. However you can fit it in. Do your kids do activities? You can walk around the premises while they do their thing. You can even listen to an audio book while doing so and get in some "reading" time.

JM 30 day shred is a great way to get started back into exercising. Even if you just start with 5 min out of the 20.

It is amazing how even a little bit of exercise can improve how you feel.

Also, I read in several books that when you think you are hungry grab a glass of water first. Many many times we confuse hunger with thirst. So drink a full glass of water and then if you're hungry eat. Water first.

Oh, and in the evenings the trick I heard is to drink herbal tea instead of snacking.

My DH is gone all week, and only home on the weekends. I have twin boys that I homeschool and the nearest gym is twenty to thirty minutes away. And I'm flat terrified of crowds of sweaty people.

I started running my driveway. One tenth of a mile at a time. It took time to get the boys comfortable with my running, but eventually they learned to respect Mom's exercise time.

I started last year at 212 lbs. I ought to weigh 140. It's now about a year since I made my diet changes (in my case I went gluten-free for other health reasons) and started to run. I'm down to 165lb (and still losing-a little more slowly now!) I feel better now than I did when I was 20. I just completed my first 10K race in November and am tracking down a half-marathon in the next year.

I started with one tenth of a mile.

My point is that whatever you can do to exercise, start it sooner rather than later. It doesn't have to be fancy. It could be running down your driveway. It could be breaking out the jump-rope in the garage. It could be renting an exercise DVD and commiting to doing it daily for the two weeks you have it and then trading out for another one. Start where you are and good things will happen.

Kate (and other members): are you interested in trying to start the New Atkins induction diet? This was the most effective way for me to lose weight, but I have not stuck to it and gained everything back now. ;( I want to get it from the library again and give it another try. We could start a thread and try to keep it updated every day for feedback and support.

I haven't looked at Atkins in years, but I'm not opposed to it. I just know that I have to cut the grains and sugar. I am addicted to the stuff and I have to stop eating it.

I joined SparkPeople in December; yeah, I know, right before the Holidays...are you still on there? I was overwhelmed at first, but now that I have chosen just one or two "teams", it's more managable.

I would also be interested in joining the well trained losers on FB. With the Holidays and everything, I did manage to lose about 7 lbs.

I've got 85 to lose and I am doing LCHF...

PM me if you want to be buddies here or on Spark

~coffee~

I've been in the same boat. You need to look at the book "Trim Healthy Mama" and see what you think. It's helped me really get going (208 after last baby's birth, 150 now and still going - not ALL lost with THM, but the most recent). Lots of fantastic recipes and personally, I think it's a lifestyle that's easy to stick with! You WILL lose weight using their methods! Good luck!

You can join well trained losers on Facebook.

Private message me and we can text each other as accountability partners if you want :). We have similar goals. I would like to lose ultimately 75 pounds, but it's such a long term goal that I need some motivation on the way.

I'd like to join the FB group as well. I want to lose ~40 pounds. I've put our budget on a diet this month & next month I want to focus on me. Txting would be no good for me as I live overseas, but FB is great.

• 1 month later...

This is me. Emotional and/or hormonal because I do know what to do. I've even done it. I just got tired of doing it. Kwim?