Menu

Tagging - would you like more than the OP to be able to tag? Please vote :-)

Tagging by more than the OP should be permitted on the High School board?  

74 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like it to be permitted?

• Yes
    • No

Hi Everyone,

You've probably noticed that no one but the OP is permitted to tag threads now.

And while I presume that the policy was developed because of unkind tagging that has gone on in the past on the General Board, the high school board had almost no 'unkind' tagging in the past. People don't tend to get into volatile discussions that arouse as many emotions here. And then, the subjects tend to be more serious as well.

Some points I see as important about others being able to tag:

Sometimes the OP forgets to tag (myself - even a long time user included)

Sometimes the conversation changes or there are rabbit trails quite unrelated to the original subject which nevertheless have very useful information in them which might not come up under a 'search'.

Sometimes the OP doesn't know all the possible tags or doesn't even imagine tags that would be related and others see ways of organization.

It's a way that people can be involved in organizing the incredible amount of information that flows here without overwhelming one person...

Sometimes the OP is too busy trying to get the question answered to even think of tagging.

Sometimes the OP is not into organization in a way that others are, and this is a way that we can all help....

This is a way of validating sometimes very lengthy and useful posts/ideas...

People can probably add more ideas...

I can only see one negative - unkind tags - but maybe there are others that are issues?

So this is also a request to the Moderators or OtherJohn, to allow this function here....and a question for mods...wouldn't there be a way of disabling those who have misused tags? In the past you could see who did the tag....

Joan

I'd think tagging should be enabled on all the boards by everyone with the possible exception of the chat board. The tags are incredibly helpful - even when search works.

:iagree: , except there are threads I want to tag on the chat board, also (serious tags, not just the "just for laughs" tags!)

I asked about this a couple times on the news forum. I think they are still overwhelmed by getting the site stable and this has fallen by the wayside.

I think of tags as a way of indexing posts across members, forums and even across years. Huge fan here.

:iagree:

This was my impression, too.

I never remembered to tag in the past, and now with the new board I don't know how... So it would be a good thing if others could tag, because they could pick up my slacking. :tongue_smilie:

One note on tagging: I DO wish people would WAIT a bit before tagging and see if the thread develops into a helpful conversation; on the old board, people were tagging instantly, which made me not search by tag because then I still had to wade through a lot of threads with only 2-3 posts on it that didn't say much. I guess I see tags as markers for especially helpful threads. Don't know how you'd "monitor" or "encourage" that way of tagging, though...

Side note on Searches and Tag Searches: Because of the abundance of tags on the old board, I ended up searching instead by advanced word search and got quite good at that on the old Board. Now, on the new Board, I can't seem to come up with much of anything through searches of various kinds... And I can't get *anything* to come up when I try a tag search -- it comes back empty, even though I KNOW that those words were the tag title... :confused1:

Thanks for soliciting input on this topic, Joan! :)

On the whole I think folks here haven't been renegade taggers. Tags would be most useful. I think they would be even more useful if there were some sort of user created standard stickied to the top-along the lines of the one about common board abbreviations.

A longer list of existing tags would really help. And there is probably room for combining some tags that are really the same thing.

I'd also love to see a cloud of popular trending tags.

I think they are still overwhelmed by getting the site stable and this has fallen by the wayside.

I think of tags as a way of indexing posts across members, forums and even across years.

Yes, maybe they are still overwhelmed. Since there was never any note from OtherJohn on the thread on Site News, I thought maybe they didn't think it useful...So I was hoping that if lots of people voted, then they would be encouraged to re-evaluate....

I'd think tagging should be enabled on all the boards by everyone with the possible exception of the chat board. The tags are incredibly helpful - even when search works.

I agree...I thought it might be good to start with this board since it is the one I know best :-) and I knew there weren't many problems with tagging here....

:iagree: , except there are threads I want to tag on the chat board, also (serious tags, not just the "just for laughs" tags!)

Good point about threads on the chat board...

I think they would be even more useful if there were some sort of user created standard stickied to the top-along the lines of the one about common board abbreviations.

Good idea..

Lori - that's a good point about threads being tagged too soon. But with the new board, that seems like it would be even more of a problem. We're encouraged to tag right away as the option is right under the name of the thread. Then how many people want to go back in and change that.

It was so easy the old way, just clicking on the edit tags button at the bottom of the thread...

A longer list of existing tags would really help.

And there is probably room for combining some tags that are really the same thing.

I'd also love to see a cloud of popular trending tags.

Agreeing with all points....

Joan

Okay - I've never tagged. Can you explain it to me?
Me too. Been here a long time & just never paid any attention to it.

You can see at the top of this thread that I put two tags - Tags and Organization.

If you look at the bottom of this thread, you can see other threads that were also tagged with one or both words, probably just one in this case.

Actually the 'organization' tag isn't such a great idea because it is more 'board organization', but no one can help me out because on the new boards, the only person who can tag is the OP either when they first start the thread or if they go back in edit their first post....

Before people could edit the tags at the bottom of the thread....

There used to also be a big Tag Cloud on the main page of the forums...Maybe it exists somewhere - I just haven't had time to look at all parts of the board yet. But my main problem is that others cannot help in identifying useful threads...and organizing them.

Oh, here's another point. Sometimes the OP loses interest in the thread while other people have continued to discuss and the OP doesn't even come back to the thread - at least doesn't post any more...So probably wouldn't bother to add tags either...

Joan

• So if I wanted to search on a tag.....like say physics or science then I'd do that by ......??????????

Well if you are looking at a thread that is already tagged 'physics', you could go to the tag at the top of the thread and click on it and it will give you all the other threads tagged as such.

You can also go into 'advanced search' the little settings button on the top right of the little search bar at the top of the page...

Maybe someone else knows other ways...If there is a Tag Cloud - I don't know where it is. You used to be able to just click on tags in the cloud...

Joan

Hmmm......I'm wondering if the number of votes so far is really indicative of the number of people who really appreciate tagging? or did I not frame the question in the right way? Hmmmm....

Well, my vote represented me liking others getting to tag my posts, since I forget to. ;)

Hmmm......I'm wondering if the number of votes so far is really indicative of the number of people who really appreciate tagging? or did I not frame the question in the right way? Hmmmm....

I think the poll results represent the idea that tagging has proven useful and hasn't tended to be misused outside the old General Board.

I saw this as the title:

Tagging on the High School Board

and this as the poll question:

Would you like it to be permitted?

and then I answered this question with a yes:

Would you like tagging on the High School Board to be permitted?

(Thanks for the poll, btw)

I saw this as the title:

Tagging on the High School Board

and this as the poll question:

Would you like it to be permitted?

and then I answered this question with a yes:

Would you like tagging on the High School Board to be permitted?

(Thanks for the poll, btw)

I think I should have put the question in the title of the thread so it was more obvious. But I was a bit confused with the poll choices somehow.

ETA - I'm hyper-amazed - I was just able to change the title of this thread. THANK YOU OtherJohn!!!

To all who voted - thank you !

I hope more will vote so that it is seen as a desired feature by the mods. It's hard to imagine that only 40 people of all the readers and posters were benefitting from tags put on by others...But maybe the others don't realize how much other people tagged?

Joan

Absolutely, it should be allowed. The primary purpose of the boards is to share advice, tips, ideas and resources on a number of homeschooling topics and the only way to keep track of the vast heap of information, I found, was to tag relevant threads. Now without the tagging, I am subscribing to threads instead....but there are so many useful threads that it would become impossible to keep track after a while.

I have been waiting for the tagging feature to come back.....

• 1 month later...

I'm showing up pretty late to this party, but I added my vote to "Bring Back Tags For All". At least, I hope that's how I voted. :blushing:

I didn't even realize the tagging feature had vanished. I just went to tag a thread I had started a week or so ago and couldn't. I really, really miss the tag feature.

I would love to tage some threads that are going on now about online writing classes. But I can't. Especially with several boards, some questions posted on one board have been answered on another board, so tags would be so helpful!

It also comes in real handy at Christmas when all of the 'what to get for a xx year old' start appearing. There have been some really great ideas posted!!

Maybe we can do a (polite and quiet) "Tag chant" Tag, tag, tag, tag, tag... ;)

Yes, I think tags for all should come back. Even the asinine ones were helpful. I'm not one to remember to put tags unless someone brings it to my attention so having somebody else able to tag a tagless thread is nice.

Alternately perhaps a thread can't be started/posted until the OP puts 2 tags with it.

I never remember to tag my threads and was grateful when someone else did on the old board. Also, I am for anything that helps the current search function. I find that when someone tells me that a topic has been discussed frequently and to search the boards, I kind of want to cry. The search function has gotten better, but I still feel like I am missing info. Improved tagging would help that as well.

I just went to tag a thread I had started a week or so ago and couldn't.

I completely agree that tagging by others is great!

But you can still go back and tag a thread you started - I just did it. Go back to your first post in the thread and choose 'edit'.

Then you will see that you can edit in the tags and you can even edit the title of the thread! That's a great new feature. :-)

You can even edit polls already started. Not sure what happens to the votes though...

Joan