Menu

If your child plays an unusual instrument . . .

MinivanMom

If your child plays an unusual instrument, has it been worth it?

Dd8 has been obsessed with the harp since she was tiny. We looked into it about 3 years ago, but when we saw how much harps cost we bought a piano instead. She started piano lessons and has done very, very well . . . but . . . she still wants to play the harp. We have taken her to orchestra performances and "meet the instrument" type events and she is certain that the harp is her instrument. She doesn't want to quit piano, though, just add harp as her second (and primary) instrument. She has always been very serious and regular with her music practice, so I do think she has the maturity to handle a second instrument. We are also fortunate to live in a large, urban area where there are several harp teachers (with conservatory degrees) running studios. This is going to be a huge (and expensive) undertaking, though, so I guess I'm looking for encouragement.

If she is that interested, and you can afford the harp and the lessons, I would say GO FOR IT!!! :thumbup:

Most 8 year-olds don't have anywhere near her level of dedication to music, so this could be such a wonderful and lifelong thing for her. (I would answer differently if I thought this was just a passing fancy, but that doesn't seem to be the case here at all.)

I picked up the harp in high school when I was 14 or 15. I had played the piano since age 5, and I continued with both through college. You might be able to rent a harp to try it out for a while. I rented from a store that applied up to six months of the rental fee towards the purchase of an instrument. I was only able to rent a folk harp, though, and I eventually got a pedal harp. I also know people who have rented out their extra or unused harps, so you might ask a local teacher if he or she knows of anyone willing to rent. Lyon and Healy (the major harpmaker in the US) has a 40-string harp (full size is 47, sometimes 46) that costs a bit less. You could also try looking at their used site: http://www.lyonhealycpo.com/

Lever harps are a lot cheaper, but if she wants to play seriously, I think you eventually need a pedal harp. I was older when I started, so it wasn't a big deal to play on a full-sized pedal harp. I'm not sure what size is recommended for a smaller child, and you'd probably want to ask a teacher about this. I was old enough that I had saved up some money, so I put a chunk of my savings towards buying my harp (my parents covered the rest, and I am very grateful for that). Also keep in mind that if she joins an orchestra, moving a harp back and forth is a bit of a pain. My parents always envied the parents whose child played the flute, since it was so compact.

Best of luck to your daughter!

Thanks! I think this is the kind of encouragement I need. I know we can afford to get started with a rental. It's just the logistics of having a harp in the house, transporting it from place to place, and practicing on two instruments that kind of make my head spin. I am also concerned about the $$$ down the road, because if she's serious we would have to purchase a pedal harp eventually. There are a lot of upsides, though, because harpists are rare. Our local youth orchestras have stiff competition for every spot except harpist. She would definitely stand out. It's such a unique instrument and it really fits her personality.

We go to a larger music school (for piano and violin) and know a fair number of young harpists. I think go for it if she's been consistently asking for it over the long term and piano is going well. Particulary if she's a self motivated practicer. Start with a rental and see how it goes! Love the harp! :001_wub:

I don't have a child with an unusual instrument, but I was that child.

I played oboe and then switched to bassoon. I ended up attending Northwestern University for less than the cost of our local state university because they needed bassoonists. I earned a Bachelor's and Master's in bassoon performance. I also got to travel to almost all 50 states and a couple of foreign countries playing in different orchestras.

The cost of the instrument and lessons is the worst part. Also, lots of driving to rehearsals and practices. With harp, you'd obviously need a large vehicle also.

Harp might be a little different than bassoon. A harpist can make good money playing for weddings.

My dd has recently taken up the tuba. Not a very unusual instrument, but for a Freshman girl it seems to be a bit uncommon. Right now she borrows a sousaphone and tuba from the high school, and I hope that continues. I've already bought a violin and flute for her (both of which she plays) so I'd love the tuba to remain free!

Can you steer her towards a Celtic harp? Aren't they significantly less expensive?

This is what I was going to suggest. My dd has a number of friends who play Celtic harp. They are lever harps not pedal harps so not the same as the harp in an orchestra.

They play them at Irish music sessions, in competitions, for weddings, and in gigs either solo or with bands. Many of the Celtic harp instructors I know rent out some of their own instruments for those just getting started and many people sell instruments as they move on to higher priced ones. Some even start younger children with a lap harp which without levers run about $300-$400. Adding levers increases the price depending on how many levers are added.

We know kids (including my own) who play all sorts of unusual instruments like uillean pipes, tin whistles, double bass, bodhran, banjos, mandolin, and bouzouki.

I would definitely recommend starting with at least a folk/celtic harp and preferably a lap harp. I play harp at a beginner level and have very small hands. Some of the folk and lap harps have closer string spacing that is easier for those of us with small hands. Also, a large harp could very well have strings that an eight year olds arms are not long enough to reach so it would functionally be a smaller harp for her.

Many if not most pedal harpists start with a folk harp to learn the basics on. Smaller harps are also much easier to transport to lessons, recitals, ect.

Dd8 has been obsessed with the harp since she was tiny. We looked into it about 3 years ago, but when we saw how much harps cost we bought a piano instead. She started piano lessons and has done very, very well . . . but . . . she still wants to play the harp. We have taken her to orchestra performances and "meet the instrument" type events and she is certain that the harp is her instrument. She doesn't want to quit piano, though, just add harp as her second (and primary) instrument. She has always been very serious and regular with her music practice, so I do think she has the maturity to handle a second instrument. We are also fortunate to live in a large, urban area where there are several harp teachers (with conservatory degrees) running studios. This is going to be a huge (and expensive) undertaking, though, so I guess I'm looking for encouragement.

Definitely look into the Lyon & Healy (or Salvi) lever harps! Lyon & Healy and Salvi lever harps are eligible for their "bounty program," meaning you can trade the harp in toward the purchase of another harp (lever or pedal) within 5 years of purchase. The Ogden is a great harp for an 8 year old, and many reputable harp companies (Harp Connection, Virginia Harp Center, etc.) tend to have gently used ones in stock. One of my harp students owns an Ogden, and I love her harp so much I'm seriously considering buying one for outdoor gigs and for times when I'd just like a lighter harp to carry. There are plenty of affordable options out there - you definitely don't have to drop $20,000+ on a pedal harp right away! :)

I would say that 98% of my students come to me without a harp, and that usually works out best... I can help them avoid the scams or poorly built harps out there. I would recommend getting in contact with a harp teacher first, and getting their input.

(I love to talk harps, so if you want to PM with any questions, feel free!)

Yes. My middle son was playing a cheap, electric bass, but he wanted a big upright bass. We looked and looked for a "good deal" and finally bought him one. He really learned to play it well. Then, he wanted to add banjo. I was lucky enough to find someone to loan him a banjo for several months while he took lessons to see if he would stick with it. He did. We bought him his own banjo for Christmas one year. I can say both instruments were worth every penny in our case because he continues to play them and has even made money playing in our band.

If at all possible, I would recommend borrowing or renting for the first several months to see if she is going to stay with it.